PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about hunting bear this fall...

norcal01
06-17-2010, 7:29 PM
I've been deer and waterfowl hunting my whole life, mostly on my parent's ranch up in Humboldt. They have about a half a mile of private river access and I've seen some pretty nice looking bears from time to time while fishing. So I'm thinking I'd like to give hunting one a try this year. Any suggestions?

Eargasm
06-17-2010, 11:10 PM
Sorry, not an answer to your question, but, is bear meat any good, or do people primarily do it for the pelt, taxidermy aspect?

norcal01
06-17-2010, 11:12 PM
I've had bear jerky and sausage before that was excellen! From what I hear the taxidermy fees for whole bear skins are pretty steep...

mif_slim
06-18-2010, 6:44 AM
A 30-06, a trailcam and a treestand will do.

30-06 with a 180gr bullet will be plenty of powder. A trail cam to watch the time of day their active and a treestand to get away from their nose. Haha also, higher to see more ground and feel a little safer. It's the same as deer hunting. What ever your doing for deer it applies to bears.

Bearclaw
06-18-2010, 7:57 AM
A 30-06, a trailcam and a treestand will do.

30-06 with a 180gr bullet will be plenty of powder. A trail cam to watch the time of day their active and a treestand to get away from their nose. Haha also, higher to see more ground and feel a little safer. It's the same as deer hunting. What ever your doing for deer it applies to bears.

I'm sure it will have plenty of powder, but it will also have plenty of power :)
As for the rest of what mif_slim said....:iagree:

popndrop
06-18-2010, 8:13 AM
Sorry, not an answer to your question, but, is bear meat any good, or do people primarily do it for the pelt, taxidermy aspect?

I think its maybe the tastiest of the critters to be found in CA beside Hogs.
We shot one a couple years back, a Big Old bruiser and the guide told me that the meat was going to be nasty...he was wrong - it was very mild flavored, not overly gamey or tough. I really enjoyed it, as did many of my friends at my BBQs...some ate it not knowing what it was and when I told them, they thought I was kidding. I think that killing an animal of that size and not eating it would be such a shame.

You can usually tell what an animal will taste like by what it eats - Bears eat a mixed bag of things, and probably taste differently depending on their diet. The one we got was fat on Acorns and berries - so it was a pretty mild diet. I have no idea what one would taste like that has been eating only fish for a month...maybe like fish?

ScottB
06-18-2010, 8:57 AM
You can usually tell what an animal will taste like by what it eats - Bears eat a mixed bag of things, and probably taste differently depending on their diet. The one we got was fat on Acorns and berries - so it was a pretty mild diet. I have no idea what one would taste like that has been eating only fish for a month...maybe like fish?

So do the ones that get shot over bait taste like donuts?

professionalcoyotehunter
06-18-2010, 9:00 AM
Bear to me is to greasy and gamey but I wont waste it. I do not have a care tyo ever get one but go for it if that is what you wish to do.

mif_slim
06-18-2010, 9:12 AM
I'm sure it will have plenty of powder, but it will also have plenty of power :)
As for the rest of what mif_slim said....:iagree:

lol, my stupid iphone must of thought I wanted to say powder. LOL. I always txt my friend about reloading/shooting etc.

gotime
06-18-2010, 4:40 PM
You can usually tell what an animal will taste like by what it eats - Bears eat a mixed bag of things, and probably taste differently depending on their diet.

I read a brief article about bear hunting in Big Bear here in the IE and it said that the bears here are really tasty because they eat quality food.

mif_slim
06-18-2010, 5:20 PM
Very true in the taste. Their diet makes them taste better. North west deers in ca doesn't taste as good as north east Sierra deers and both deers don't taste as good as Wisconsin deers. WI deer gets to eat greens year round to as the east Sierra gets half season and it seems like the westcoast deers scavenge for food.

duckman1
06-21-2010, 6:57 PM
My advice is to scout and then scout some more. Bears will feed in an area for a period of time your best bet is to find where they are feeding and try to get a shot or ambush them moving from feeding to water or shade.

Bear meat is excellent table fare if they have not been eating garbage. You need to quickly reomove the hide and get the meat cool. Like any game animal your field care will go a long ways toward a good tasting final product.

For field dressing you might want someone to help, a dead bear is a lot like a nylon stocking full of jello....They are hard move and even harder to skin by yourself. The fat sticks to your knife blade and if you are using only one knife it's nice to have some hot water to help clean the blade prior to sharpening. I usually carry 3-4 good sharp knives for skinning.

Treat the meat like pork anything you can do with pork you can do with the bear meat. My last bear I prepared as peporoni sticks and ground using the ground meat for burritos, tacos, lasange etc.

Bearclaw
06-21-2010, 7:07 PM
True, true. Listen to Duckman1. He brings up a very good point about the skinning/knives.