PDA

View Full Version : Gun opinions (ruger semi auto)

auditech79
06-17-2010, 6:02 PM
I need help choosing my next firearm, i have narrowed it down to 3 rugers. I currently have an XD 9mm and i absolutely love the dang thing. Eats every dang round i have put in it.
Anyways, i should start by saying that i used to own a ruger P90TH when i lived in phoenix arizona, however i only shot maybe 50 rounds with it, and it was many years ago so i can't remember the feel of it. I remember it being quite the large brute, and i loved the look of it. I don't necessarilly like the double action with the first round, but i can get over that for the reliability and price of the gun/s.
This is my current list, P90, P345, and a P94 just to throw a .40 caliber in there. What are your opinions about function, reliability, feel and overall quality? I've never owned a .40 caliber but have shot a few, and they seem to work just as good as a .45 for me. Its all about where you shoot the target and the ammo you use right? :cool:
Thanks guys i look forward to your comments.

civilsnake
06-17-2010, 7:49 PM
I think the P90 is an excellent gun. I've never had any problems with mine, and it's been an accurate shooter.

Coincidentally, I happen to be selling it to fund a new shooting adventure, so if you're interested in picking one up you should check the link in my sig line :D

NotEnoughGuns
06-17-2010, 8:32 PM
theres no option for MKII !?!

I like ruger, but their centerfire semi pistols just don't do anything for me.

GrinderCB
06-17-2010, 9:07 PM
I noticed that you didn't put down Ruger's SR9's in your poll. I fired both the standard and compact versions at the shooting fair at Raahauge's a coupla weeks ago. Both are excellent guns. Trigger pull was about the same on both, kind of light/medium, and I found both grips very comfortable. Despite the very light frames I found recoil to be very manageable. I'm seriously thinking about the full-size in OD green. They run in the mid-$400's.

Legasat
06-17-2010, 10:17 PM
Everyone needs a .45 :cool:

auditech79
06-18-2010, 5:40 AM
I have been doing a lot of reading about .45 super rounds, could the P345 handle that round with the smaller lighter frame? I know the P90 probably could without thinking twice. I also read about the .40 caliber being very snappy, does that mean it will cause wear and tear faster than a .45?
As far as the SR9, i like them but not in the market for another 9mm at the moment, something to think about for the future though.

redhemi
06-18-2010, 8:59 AM
I have a P94 and yes it is snappy it's the one gun I just can't seem to be consistaint with but I'm sure if I practiced a bit more with it I could get better. AS for the P90 or the 345 I don't have them but would not mind getting the P345 because I like the feel of it. If you want more info on these guns you might try the Ruger forum lots of info and good people there.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/ Redhemi

j1133s
06-18-2010, 10:07 AM
I need help choosing my next firearm, i have narrowed it down to 3 rugers. I currently have an XD 9mm and i absolutely love the dang thing. Eats every dang round i have put in it.
Anyways, i should start by saying that i used to own a ruger P90TH when i lived in phoenix arizona, however i only shot maybe 50 rounds with it, and it was many years ago so i can't remember the feel of it. I remember it being quite the large brute, and i loved the look of it. I don't necessarilly like the double action with the first round, but i can get over that for the reliability and price of the gun/s.
This is my current list, P90, P345, and a P94 just to throw a .40 caliber in there. What are your opinions about function, reliability, feel and overall quality? I've never owned a .40 caliber but have shot a few, and they seem to work just as good as a .45 for me. Its all about where you shoot the target and the ammo you use right? :cool:
Thanks guys i look forward to your comments.

So your reason for wanting a second gun is to shoot 40s&w or .45acp?
If so, since you're happy w/ your XD, why not looking into getting another XD in those caliber?

PewPewBob
06-18-2010, 4:48 PM
I think the P90 is an excellent gun. I've never had any problems with mine, and it's been an accurate shooter.

Coincidentally, I happen to be selling it to fund a new shooting adventure, so if you're interested in picking one up you should check the link in my sig line :D

You don't have a sig line....

auditech79
06-18-2010, 5:24 PM
So your reason for wanting a second gun is to shoot 40s&w or .45acp?
If so, since you're happy w/ your XD, why not looking into getting another XD in those caliber?

That was actually the first thought i had. However there is one problem with the XD that i don't like, the grip is a little too small for my hand. Since the .45 and .40 has a little bit more kick, i want it to fit my hand properly.
I also found some info that states the glocks and XD's with larger calibers are just re-worked 9mm's to accommodate the larger barell and magazine. Im not 100% sure how that would affect the gun's integrity though as it seems its pure speculation. Does anyone have any input on that?

I really appreciate your guys input, i was leaning towards the P90, and the poll is making me feel more confident about my decision.:p

smittty
06-18-2010, 9:41 PM
One word....1911

Smitty

auditech79
06-18-2010, 10:23 PM
^^^Next one right after the ruger :) Gonna save up the cash and get a Kimber Grand Raptor II. The ruger is gonna do nightstand duty.