PDA

View Full Version : CFLC Program - what are they doing with the collected data?

shark92651
06-17-2010, 4:50 PM
I was reading another post and the topic of the CFLC program came up and it got me wondering what the state is doing with the collected data. I understand the premise that they want to ensure a firearm is getting shipped to a properly licensed California FFL (something the Federal system already does anyway), but what else are they doing with the data? If the sole purpose is to check if a dealer is licensed then why do they have a requirement to make a "correction" if the number of items shipped changes or if the shipment is cancelled? It seems to me one purpose is so the state can get an accurate count of the number of guns entering the state (legally) each year. To what end?

From the FAQ: http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcfaqs.php#11

11. Do I need to notify CADOJ Bureau of Firearms if the number of firearms that are shipped changes, or the shipment is cancelled after a Firearms Shipment Approval number has been issued?
Yes. After logging in to California Firearms License Check (CFLC), you can modify or cancel a Verification Approval that you have requested from the CFLC Application Main Menu page.

You can also obtain a Firearms Shipment Modification/Cancellation Form on the CADOJ Bureau of Firearms website. If you do not have Internet access, you may contact the CADOJ Bureau of Firearms at the telephone number provided on the CFLC Enrollment Verification Letter. The completed form should be mailed, faxed or e-mailed to the contact information listed on the form as soon as possible to enable the CADOJ Bureau of Firearms to reconcile the shipment information upon inspection of the CA FFL's shipment records. If the modification/cancellation form is not completed in a timely manner, the CADOJ Bureau of Firearms may have to contact the FFL shipper to verify the shipment change/cancellation.

PolishMike
06-17-2010, 4:52 PM
What would happen if a dealer had x number of guns shipped to him with CFLC papers but DROS'd 5x guns?

dfletcher
06-17-2010, 5:03 PM
Somebody with a store front probably has best info, but my thought would be there are city and state licenses, insurance, security system requirements and that every time a gun is sent to "Joe's Gun Store" there is created another business on which to check those other items. By using the CFLC we're in effect bird dogging for the state and compliance on other matters. And I would imagine there's also some sort of gun tracking asst to it.

mosinnagantm9130
06-17-2010, 5:12 PM
What would happen if a dealer had x number of guns shipped to him with CFLC papers but DROS'd 5x guns?

He could have just bought the rest of those guns from the general public, then resold them.

bwiese
06-17-2010, 5:13 PM
I don't think anything's being done with the data.

It's collected into a 'bucket'. There's no money for analysis or followup.

And for criminal behavior matters, DOJ already has enough info frol FFLs.

There was little if any internal support for CFLC when it was implemented - it was a legislator's (Dave Jones, now running for insurance commissioner) grandstanding .

I believe there is wideranging support for reducing the onerousness of CFLC - it won't go away (politically prob not achievable) but there'd be support such that once two FFLs 'dance' with each other, they wouldn't have to repeat the steps on subsequent transactions with each other.

Flopper
06-17-2010, 5:14 PM
What are they doing with the collected data?

Probably losing it.

shark92651
06-18-2010, 7:01 AM
I'd like to see it go away or at least appear to be less of an intrusion, since it seems to be the "final straw" a lot of out of state dealers use as an excuse to write us off completely.