PDA

View Full Version : I have a question on registering a handgun.

strangerdude
06-17-2010, 2:53 PM
Long story short my uncle died in the early 80's, he owned a Ruger Security Six which my other uncle(his brother) has had since his death. The uncle that now possesses the gun has no intention on ever using it and never has, he never registered it but he did take it to the police station in the 90's to check if it was clean and it was. He is going to give it to me, how do I register it to my name If there is no seller or transferee?

nn3453
06-17-2010, 3:03 PM
You take the gun and your uncle to your friendly neighborhood FFL, pay 35 bucks to the nice man behind the counter, fill out the paperwork and wait 10 days and bring it home just like any PPT. There is no requirement to register handguns that were possessed before the registration requirement passed.

strangerdude
06-17-2010, 3:07 PM
You take the gun and your uncle to your friendly neighborhood FFL, pay 35 bucks to the nice man behind the counter, fill out the paperwork and wait 10 days and bring it home just like any PPT. There is no requirement to register handguns that were possessed before the registration requirement passed.

My uncle is on his way out if you catch my drift, can't I just take the gun by myself and register it to my name? It was never registered to anyone.

nn3453
06-17-2010, 3:36 PM
My uncle is on his way out if you catch my drift, can't I just take the gun by myself and register it to my name? It was never registered to anyone.

Unfortunately, no. You will have to do a regular PPT transaction. There might be a sympathetic FFL who might be willing to stop by your uncles house to make a copy of his ID (not sure if that is legal), but you definitely need to DROS it at a FFL.

strangerdude
06-17-2010, 3:40 PM
Cool thanks!

bjl333
06-17-2010, 3:54 PM
My dad had a Stainless Security Six ... I wish he never sold it !!! Great gun ... Enjoy.