PDA

View Full Version : First ar build

audiopro74
06-17-2010, 1:53 PM
Have finally decided it is time. Was referred here by a friend as a great place for input, and info.

Plan to build a tack driver...

Here are my initial questions...

Trigger groups. Input?? I am leaning towards a Timney. Have heard a couple scattered reports problems such as double shots, and full auto run ons. any advantage to 2 stages like the jewel.

Uppers. Should I build my own with a match grade barell, or are there good ones out there. Want flat top, and bull barell. Will I notice a difference?

What other components should I be looking at, for reliability and consistency?

There is no budget cap on this build, I just know what I want in the end. Best parts, and superior accuracy. With good reliability mixed in.

All input is apreciated, good or bad. I just want to be as informed as I can be in my decisions of parts.

Thanks
Chris

thayne
06-17-2010, 4:15 PM
Rock River has some nice bull barrel uppers

bjl333
06-17-2010, 4:33 PM
Accuracy System out of Colorado guarantees sub 1/2 moa with their uppers. They start at $899.95. http://www.accuracysystemsinc.com/ar15_conversion.php
For the lower I've had pretty good luck with a MegaMachineShop billet lower http://www.megamachineshop.com/armscatalog/006BILLETLOWER-GTR-3H/loader.html
You'll need a stock check out Magpul http://store.magpul.com/prod_detail_list/84
Then all you'll need is a A2 buffer tube, buffer spring, rifle buffer to complete the stock.
Add a RRA NM lpk, a BB, 10rd mag, some highend scope and you're good to shoot sub 1/2" groups @ 100yrs.
Just a thought .... Good luck on your build !!!

audiopro74
06-17-2010, 4:40 PM
Add a RRA NM lpk, a BB, !

Not familliar with these abbreviations. Lil help???

bjl333
06-17-2010, 4:45 PM
Sorry ... Rock River Arms National Match lower parts kit, Bullit Button.

heehee ...

thayne
06-17-2010, 4:45 PM
Not familliar with these abbreviations. Lil help???

rock river lower parts kit with 2 stage match trigger and bullet button

russ69
06-17-2010, 4:47 PM
You'll want a Geissele two stage trigger. Also you'll want a 1/8 or 1/7 twist for the heavy bullets. A Compass Lake or White Oak upper would be good.

Thanx, Russ

daveyshooter
06-17-2010, 5:08 PM
Triggers: After market triggers are generally better than the stock stiggers.
I have a McCormick in one of mine and the difference between the stock trigger and that are like night and day. The McCormick is WAY better.
I suspect that the Timneys are the same difference as the McCormicks.
As for 2 stage, it's up to you.
Uppers: You can buy a built up upper from several vendors out there in various configurations.
Or go through the hassle of putting one together yourself.
If you have a work bench, then go ahead. Without one, it's hard but not impossible to build a decent upper.
Accuracy is as I put it, 60% the shooter, 40% the gun.
I"ve seen guys with "space guns" swooped-up AR15s with longer than usual barrels and real fancy sights, and they were no better shooting than the guys with the A2 setups.
So, it's not the gun, as much as it is the shooter.
One thing to consider, bull barrels do weigh more, and weight will be an issue sooner or later as you hang toys on it.
Just something to think of.
If money is no issue then buy 2 uppers. One plain one and one with the 4 or 8 rails.

Good luck.

audiopro74
06-17-2010, 5:10 PM
What is going to be the advantage of a 2 stage trigger over a single. I have plenty of experience with a single, but have never shot a 2 stage. I do know i like a good single.

bjl333
06-17-2010, 5:16 PM
What is going to be the advantage of a 2 stage trigger over a single. I have plenty of experience with a single, but have never shot a 2 stage. I do know i like a good single.

Stay with what is comfortable for you !! If you can shoot the lights out with a single then go with a single .... YOU need to be at your most comfortable setting to get a good group !!!

audiopro74
06-17-2010, 6:55 PM
Definately the kind of info, and insight I am looking for. Great stuff guys keeep it coming. Think I have decided on the timney 3# skeleton. Like the looks of it, and the angle it sits in the weapon. Pretty sure I want either the standard stock, or the magpull adjustable. Still got time to decide. still looking into uppers, but tthe ones you guys mentioned are definately higher on the list than what I allready found.

The whie oak, and compass stuff look nice, but I think I am leaning towards the accuracy intl. stuff. As I like the aesthetics a little better. Any personal input on these is greatly apreciated though, as I will learn to like the way a piece looks if it offers superior performance.

And I forgot to put in the first post, this will all be put on a smith lower. In another 9 days that is....

bjl333
06-17-2010, 10:37 PM
You might wanna call the company you intend to order the upper from, just to see their availability for what you wanted. Its a waste of time to get your S&W lower and not have the upper for 3 months or longer.

audiopro74
06-18-2010, 6:57 AM
You might wanna call the company you intend to order the upper from, just to see their availability for what you wanted. Its a waste of time to get your S&W lower and not have the upper for 3 months or longer.

Thats a very good point. Guess I better make a decision on that. Just in case they take a bit to get it to me.

russ69
06-23-2010, 8:27 PM
The whie oak, and compass stuff look nice, but I think I am leaning towards the accuracy intl. stuff. As I like the aesthetics a little better.

Does Accuracy International Make ARs? I think they are bolt actions. I gave you two of the best, White Oak and Compass Lake, there are others but these are proven. I have both Timney and McCormick triggers, you'll still want a 2 stage Geissele trigger. Good luck with your build.

Thanx, Russ