PDA

View Full Version : Is it ok to clean gun 3 days after shooting?

JAYjohnson
06-17-2010, 11:14 AM
So I pickup my Glock 19 in 27 hours. I want to take it to the range tomorrow afternoon but I dont get my shipment of Ballistol until Tuesday. Is it ok to wait till then to clean it? Im only gonna shoot about 50 rounds of WWB.

DDRH
06-17-2010, 11:18 AM
sure...although, you should do a quick cleaning, and get all the manufacture grease off...lube...and you should be good to go.

pick up a bottle of CLP or Hoppes9. ~$2-3

elSquid
06-17-2010, 11:34 AM
My G19 has had about 2500 rounds of Wolf and Blazer through it since it was last cleaned. Unless you are using corrosive ammo, I personally wouldn't stress over it.

Don't remove the factory copper-colored grease from the gun. It's a good idea to skim the manual before firing.

-- Michael

TMC
06-17-2010, 11:38 AM
I hardly ever clean my Glocks. Before a match I'll brush the feed ramp, pull a boresnake through it and put a drop of oil on each rail just for giggles.

redline
06-17-2010, 11:41 AM
Glock manual recommends to not remove the copper-colored lubricant in the slide rails.

As for not cleaning for three days, knock yourself out.

DDRH
06-17-2010, 11:42 AM
My G19 has had about 2500 rounds of Wolf and Blazer through it since it was last cleaned. Unless you are using corrosive ammo, I personally wouldn't stress over it.

Don't remove the factory copper-colored grease from the gun. It's a good idea to skim the manual before firing.

-- Michael

yeap, agreed...i don't own any glocks yet...so not sure, about the copper colored grease.

generally you wanna remove the grease...from what i've heard. But check the manual and follow factory tips and you should be fine.

Flying Bones
06-17-2010, 11:46 AM
How do you clean a glock? LOL.

You'll be fine, that's the fun part about it! No worries!

mif_slim
06-17-2010, 11:50 AM
I've also put 2500+ rounds thru my XD without cleaning...it shoots fine. I did clean it though for a NRA pistol course.. lol, didnt want the instructor to think Im a bad person! HAHA

wu_dot_com
06-17-2010, 11:56 AM
dont pay attention to those lies... every experience gun owner knows that you must clean your gun within 30 min after shooting while the barrel is still burning hot otherwise the gun turns to crap. JK

unless you are shooting corrosive ammo, you can let it sit for months w/o cleaning it. plus its a glock, it will be fine.

Swift Justice
06-17-2010, 12:05 PM
As long as you are not shooting corrosive ammo, you can effectively let it go months, or multiple range trips, before you need to clean your Glock.

Unit74
06-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Pulled my 19 outa the box and letter rip..... I don't see any reason to clean it before you shoot.

SCB5794
06-17-2010, 12:18 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bj5Kcs4dzro&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bj5Kcs4dzro&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

F**K cleaning

Rekrab
06-17-2010, 12:21 PM
While I normally clean my guns after each range trip, I can tell you from experience there's absolutely nothing wrong with letting it go a few days before cleaning.

Heck, you're more likely to see increased wear as a result of over-cleaning than under-cleaning.

MoBait
06-17-2010, 12:24 PM
its a glock, all you need to do is take any dipstick out of your engine compartment, stick in your shoe lace, and run the shoe lace through the bore a couple times. if you dont have a car dont even worry about cleaning your glock.

Black Majik
06-17-2010, 12:29 PM
It is always good practice to clean your guns after a range trip.

I must admit I've gotten lax in my cleaning regimen. Coming home with a buncha dirty guns the last thing on my mind is stripping them down to clean em'. However I always, always make sure they get lubed before every range trip.

RedDawn
06-17-2010, 12:29 PM
excellent video

8200rpm
06-17-2010, 1:45 PM
Cleaning your new pistol after 50 rounds is like changing the oil in your car every time get home from work. It won't hurt, but it's a waste of time unless you were dragging it through the dirt and dunking it in stagnant pond water.

Periodic cleaning let's you inspect your gun for any abnormal wear or damage, but you can easily go 1000 rounds or several range trips before you really "need" to clean it.

As for lubing, I like to make sure that the barrel (outside), barrel hood, and rails/slide are sufficiently lubed (wet to the touch but not necessarily dripping) before each range trip.

Killawhale415
06-17-2010, 2:10 PM
its a glock, all you need to do is take any dipstick out of your engine compartment, stick in your shoe lace, and run the shoe lace through the bore a couple times. if you dont have a car dont even worry about cleaning your glock.

Hmmm ghetto boresnake, I like

AlliedArmory
06-17-2010, 2:42 PM
It is always good practice to clean your guns after a range trip.

I must admit I've gotten lax in my cleaning regimen. Coming home with a buncha dirty guns the last thing on my mind is stripping them down to clean em'. However I always, always make sure they get lubed before every range trip.

OMG! Rich doesn't clean any of his guns! I think I picked up my habit from him hahha

cindynles
06-17-2010, 2:55 PM
It's only OK to not clean a Glock. If you don't clean an XD with 30 seconds of firing it will turn into a pile of rust completly unsafe to fire. If you have an XD that you have not cleaned within the required 30 second time period, DO NOT fire it. Send it to me and I will make sure that it is properly disposed of :43:

Falstaff
06-17-2010, 3:14 PM
One of the instructors/spokesman at Frontsight has a running experiment with Glock cleaning. He wants to see how many rounds without cleaning till the glock stops working. At last count; in April, he was at 35,000 rounds without cleaning. I think you'll be OK.

stix213
06-17-2010, 3:37 PM
unless you are shooting corrosive ammo, you can let it sit for months w/o cleaning it. plus its a glock, it will be fine.

+1

This is also why I never buy corrosive for any gun. Don't want my guns telling me what to do and when, cause I'm in charge damn it :p

JTROKS
06-17-2010, 3:39 PM
No it's not OK!

Go buy more rounds. You can let it sit for a week as long as you don't let the carbon fouling dry up. If it does it only makes cleaning a little bit harder, but a quick spray of penetrant like WD40 and letting it soak for 5 minutes to soften up the fowling. Then followed up with standard cleaning.

sholling
06-17-2010, 3:50 PM
I like to clean before a first range trip but it's okay to settle for running a couple of patches through the bore to make sure it's free of obstructions, and lightly lube the rails.

After a range trip where you use non-corrosive ammunition I suggest cleaning within a reasonable time period. If you've used corrosive ammo (not usually a problem) then clean ASAP.

Black Majik
06-17-2010, 4:37 PM
OMG! Rich doesn't clean any of his guns! I think I picked up my habit from him hahha

I do clean it!!!!!!!

When I have to sell it. :D

Oldnoob
06-17-2010, 4:50 PM
Though I clean my gun like an OCD (really, sometime I'll clean them even they haven't been to range :p). Your Glock will be fine. But just stop by a wall mart and get yourself a winchester breakfree or remington oil. It only cost few bucks.

dieselpower
06-17-2010, 5:04 PM
I clean my Glock with a bore snake and can of electonic safe pressurized air (non corrosive, no solvants, plastic safe) and a tooth brush on the ramp. one drop of rem oil on the trigger spring and barrel lug and its done. 2 minute cleaning tops.

jdg30
06-17-2010, 5:14 PM
I must be one of the very few but I clean my guns any time I shoot them, even if it's just a few rounds. It only takes a few minutes to field strip, wipe down, clean the barrel and lube. I just don't like carrying a dirty gun. Several of my guns are Glocks too.

I also cleaned all the factory lube off of all my Glocks before I shot them for the first time and lubed as I normally would. I haven't had any problems from doing so and they haven't had any unusual wear. To me, Glocks may be able to do fine shooting tons of rounds through them without cleaning but I will still clean them every time I shoot them.

Papa "J"
06-17-2010, 5:16 PM
I just put mine in the dishwasher.

eccvets
06-17-2010, 5:42 PM
I like to clean my guns the same day asap but its not really necessary. I just have no life and I enjoy cleaning them.

PewPewBob
06-17-2010, 5:43 PM
A true purest cleans their Glock after EVERY mag....
Good thing we're limited to 10 round magazines or you'd have to clean it mid-mag....

1 SIG fan
06-17-2010, 5:52 PM
Wait..... Your supposed to clean guns?

1 SIG fan
06-17-2010, 5:53 PM
Ok. Dishwashers loaded up. Top rack only of course. And yes I'm safe. I took the loaded mags out of the well and placed them in the wine rack slots to clean them too.

den888
06-17-2010, 6:05 PM
I have cleaned stainless revolvers 3-4 weeks after shooting them, no issues seen.

flatovercrest
06-17-2010, 6:11 PM
LOL at some of the replies on this thread. :D:D:D

taguin
06-17-2010, 6:39 PM
Perfectly fine, don't worry.

Fate
06-17-2010, 7:47 PM
I just piss down the tube when it gets real hot.

racky
06-17-2010, 8:19 PM
i stopped cleaning my usp because i want to see when i'm gonna reach its failure point. been over 1k rounds so far. i'm doing the same thing with my beretta. my 1911 however, is another story :online2long:. that thing gets gritty and slow after 200rds

kennytt
06-17-2010, 8:27 PM
Glocks need no cleaning...That's how they are designed...:D

Bill Carson
06-17-2010, 11:52 PM
Glocks need no cleaning...That's how they are designed...:D

Hoo Nu

j1133s
06-18-2010, 11:11 AM
So I pickup my Glock 19 in 27 hours. I want to take it to the range tomorrow afternoon but I dont get my shipment of Ballistol until Tuesday. Is it ok to wait till then to clean it? Im only gonna shoot about 50 rounds of WWB.

Yes. People worry mainly when shooting corrosive ammo.

I've been lazy lately and don't clean my guns until the next time I shoot them (which has been 1 month-ish). All guns are good except a Browning shotgun where there's some rust on its trigger from I guess leftover sweat. (BTW, the shotgun wasn't cleaned for about 1.5 years. So maybe if I had cleaned it after a month, it'll be ok.)

duc748bip
06-18-2010, 12:08 PM
the manual says something like run the patches until it comes out clean...

i can never get my barrel that clean.

NotEnoughGuns
06-18-2010, 3:33 PM
[QUOTE=Rekrab;4470324
Heck, you're more likely to see increased wear as a result of over-cleaning than under-cleaning.[/QUOTE]

This

Grakken
06-18-2010, 4:18 PM
I used to clean my gear after every trip (Thanks to the fine tutelage of the USMC) but now I just clean it when i actually don't feel lazy and my stuff still goes bang and cycles just fine. I don't own a glock (yuck! :cool:) but i think this holds true for most quality arms. YMMV

bsg
06-18-2010, 6:06 PM
i tend to be obsessive compulsive and clean them asap. however....

Sniper3142
06-18-2010, 7:26 PM
3 days... 3 weeks... 3 months...

I've gone these periods and a lot longer and not cleaned my HK USP45. Your Glock will be just fine.

GSG222
06-19-2010, 8:34 AM
3 days? It's a little rushed IMHO. Cool it in the fridge for 5 min...

Donny1
06-19-2010, 10:30 AM
What about .22's?

The powder seems to be very dirty, has a distinct smell, etc.

Stkx66
06-19-2010, 1:44 PM
I field strip and clean my guns after every trip whether it be to the range or the desert within 3 days. I'm relatively new to handguns ( said it before ) and would not put my Kimber blued steel .45 away without cleaning. I would be sickened to get out my Kimber to use only to find it to be rusted. My plastic or stainless guns get the same treatment.

23 Blast
06-19-2010, 4:55 PM
A billion years from now, when the last bones of the last man have long since returned to dust, three things will remain: the cockroach, the Twinkie, and the Glock 19!

:D while I tend to clean my guns whenever they're dirty, it's not anchore I necessarily look forward to and I often put it off for several days or even weeks if I'm busy. The only guns I'm fastidious about cleaning immediately are my Mosin-Nagants which fire the dreaded corrosive ammo, which will not only turn your gun to rust before your very eyes, but will make you crosseyed and give you bad breath to boot!