PDA

View Full Version : New AR-15 Assembly

sfonelson
06-17-2010, 9:57 AM
So I have my Tacticool GG&G AR up and running and it's been great so far. In fact, I am going to take it out this weekend and pop off a few hundred rounds.

I have an extra lower that I want to do something with, and I was always very partial to the classic A2, so that is going to be my next project.

So far, I think that I am going to go with this upper from Riflegear: http://www.riflegear.com/p-49-stag-arms-model-4h.aspx

Any comments/ideas?

I am going to get the classic A2 Buttstock.

I am also toying around with making it a featureless assembly so I can ditch the BB.

I also really like the desert camo or FDE look. I was thinking about getting it painted, but wanted to check out some pics of that first before taking the dive. Anybody have an A2 style with a desert camo paint scheme?

I was also viewing another thread where someone assembled an A2 style AR-10 with the ACOG on top of the carry handle which is a cool idea. I like having that option in the future.

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!

Lower86
06-17-2010, 10:24 AM
That Stag is an A4 model upper with flattop and removable carry handle. Is that what you want? If you're looking for an A2 upper, they have the permanent carry handle. I'm pretty sure you can get them from Bushmaster.

Not trying to nitpick or sharpshoot you, just wondering what look you're going for?

sfonelson
06-17-2010, 10:34 AM
I saw that after I posted. I am still learning, but what's the difference between the A2 and an A4 upper? Is it pretty much just the fact that the rear sight/handle is detachable with a rail underneath? If so, I don't really care. That actually makes it nicer when I do decide to move towards optics in the future.

That Stag is an A4 model upper with flattop and removable carry handle. Is that what you want? If you're looking for an A2 upper, they have the permanent carry handle. I'm pretty sure you can get them from Bushmaster.

Not trying to nitpick or sharpshoot you, just wondering what look you're going for?

asme
06-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Commentz:

Bear in mind that the Stag model 4 does not have a chrome lined barrel if that's something that interests you. Also, a heavy barrel, while nice to have, does make it kind of front heavy. Personal preference really.

A nice alternative in my mind would be the BCM 20" upper, which is chrome lined and government profile. It's pretty expensive compared to the Stag, though.

An ACOG on top of a carry handle makes for a kind of nonexistent cheek weld. If you want that option in the future, you'll also need some sort of riser for the stock. A flat-top (A4) upper is really the way to go.

Remember, SomethingAwful sez:
http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/8083/cooltext426342341.gif

bjl333
06-17-2010, 10:45 AM
So I have my Tacticool GG&G AR up and running and it's been great so far. In fact, I am going to take it out this weekend and pop off a few hundred rounds.

I have an extra lower that I want to do something with, and I was always very partial to the classic A2, so that is going to be my next project.

So far, I think that I am going to go with this upper from Riflegear: http://www.riflegear.com/p-49-stag-arms-model-4h.aspx

Any comments/ideas?

I am going to get the classic A2 Buttstock.

I am also toying around with making it a featureless assembly so I can ditch the BB.

I also really like the desert camo or FDE look. I was thinking about getting it painted, but wanted to check out some pics of that first before taking the dive. Anybody have an A2 style with a desert camo paint scheme?

I was also viewing another thread where someone assembled an A2 style AR-10 with the ACOG on top of the carry handle which is a cool idea. I like having that option in the future.

Comments and suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks!

1) Building a featureless would take away the classic lines of the A2. No flashhider, lug, pistol grip.
2) FDE furniture would be nice, but I think camo is a bit overboard on an A2 rifle.
3) The ACOG can go on top of the handle, there is a hole in the middle of the handle to mount a rail to. Again classic lines ...
4) The Stag you are thinking of is a flat top, so technically its not an A2.

Overall if you wanna have an A2 rifle don't put all the tinker toys on it. Get an A2 upper with a fixed carry handle.
My suggestion would be to reconsider your build and what you want to do with the gun. It is lots of fun to shoot a classic gun, you just gotta learn to shoot with open sights. I build an A1 with surplus Colt parts and its a hoot.
Just my .02 worth ... Good luck on your build !!!

sfonelson
06-17-2010, 1:40 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, so there's already a change in plans. How about this?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16-Government-20-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-gov-20.htm

asme
06-17-2010, 1:50 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys, so there's already a change in plans. How about this?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-M16-Government-20-Upper-Receiver-Group-p/bcm-urg-gov-20.htm

An excellent option, but as I said it is a bit more expensive, seeing as you'll need:
The upper ($435)
Charging Handle + Bolt ($145)
Handguards ($20)
Carry handle sight ($110)

However, to paraphrase someone on this forum, the enduring joy of a quality purchase lasts much longer than an initial good deal and a string of disappointments.

And it really is quite a few notches above Stag in quality. Not that Stag's bad or anything.

sfonelson
06-17-2010, 2:34 PM
Yeah, that's about what I expected. Plus I will still need the buttstock. That's OK though. As long as I get a quality product, it's worth it.

An excellent option, but as I said it is a bit more expensive, seeing as you'll need:
The upper ($435)
Charging Handle + Bolt ($145)
Handguards ($20)
Carry handle sight ($110)

However, to paraphrase someone on this forum, the enduring joy of a quality purchase lasts much longer than an initial good deal and a string of disappointments.

And it really is quite a few notches above Stag in quality. Not that Stag's bad or anything.

wsmc27
06-17-2010, 2:39 PM
1) Building a featureless would take away the classic lines of the A2. No flashhider, lug, pistol grip.
2) FDE furniture would be nice, but I think camo is a bit overboard on an A2 rifle.
3) The ACOG can go on top of the handle, there is a hole in the middle of the handle to mount a rail to. Again classic lines ...
4) The Stag you are thinking of is a flat top, so technically its not an A2.

Overall if you wanna have an A2 rifle don't put all the tinker toys on it. Get an A2 upper with a fixed carry handle.
My suggestion would be to reconsider your build and what you want to do with the gun. It is lots of fun to shoot a classic gun, you just gotta learn to shoot with open sights. I build an A1 with surplus Colt parts and its a hoot.
Just my .02 worth ... Good luck on your build !!!

^^^ I like that answer. Good points for consideration.

We have a recently assembled old skool AR and enjoy it.

telcolineman
06-17-2010, 3:52 PM
Mine is an Armalite Hbar 20" A4 flat top, I have the A1 stock and hand guards. It looks pretty cool with the Colt carry handle sight and standard FSB, It has the Bayo lug and I installed a YHM phantom comp on it instead of the FH and can still use the bayonet. I'm into it for about $850 with a youngs chrome BCG, Almost forgot CMMG lower and LPK and black MIAD

CHS
06-17-2010, 4:31 PM
Bear in mind that the Stag model 4 does not have a chrome lined barrel if that's something that interests you. Also, a heavy barrel, while nice to have, does make it kind of front heavy. Personal preference really.

A nice alternative in my mind would be the BCM 20" upper, which is chrome lined and government profile. It's pretty expensive compared to the Stag, though.

Not sure what kind of stuff you're smoking, but all Stag barrels are chrome-lined.

The HBAR is very nicely balanced with an A2 stock. The government profile is nice and light, but accuracy will suffer with all the barrel whip.

Here's mine:
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m446/bdsmchs/30167_10150200004210131_779775130_1.jpg

A2 uppers are clean and awesome. :)

bjl333
06-17-2010, 4:39 PM
Not sure what kind of stuff you're smoking, but all Stag barrels are chrome-lined.

The HBAR is very nicely balanced with an A2 stock. The government profile is nice and light, but accuracy will suffer with all the barrel whip.

Here's mine:
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m446/bdsmchs/30167_10150200004210131_779775130_1.jpg

A2 uppers are clean and awesome. :)

Thats what I am talking about ... Nice clean A2 rifle !!!

Exile Machine
06-17-2010, 4:46 PM

Bayonet lug's not a prohibited feature on a featureless.
-Mark

bjl333
06-17-2010, 4:54 PM
Bayonet lug's not a prohibited feature on a featureless.
-Mark

Thanks Mark, But almost all the featureless upper I've seen DON'T have a bayonet lug ... And it just looks out of place not having one.

daveyshooter
06-17-2010, 5:18 PM
Riflegear is a good site to get the CA spec parts, but for all of the other stuff, look at
Del-Ton, and compare. I have a lot of their parts in my rifles and no failures to speak of.
You will, however, see a remarkable difference in prices, I think.
Go to AR15.com and look through the links at the top.

Good luck.

CHS
06-17-2010, 5:47 PM
Riflegear is a good site to get the CA spec parts, but for all of the other stuff, look at
Del-Ton, and compare. I have a lot of their parts in my rifles and no failures to speak of.
You will, however, see a remarkable difference in prices, I think.
Go to AR15.com and look through the links at the top.

Good luck.

There is a reason places like Del-ton and Model1 sales are cheaper.

They have cheap parts. And I mean cheap as in CHEAP. Crap. bottom barrel.

killshot44
06-17-2010, 6:41 PM
I also have a Stag 20" HBAR flattop (chrome-lined, natch) that is a hammer. Good stuff. Get the flattop now if you think you're going scoped later. The Colt detachable carryhandles you can purchase have an excellent rear-sight and look very clean when attached.

Like the man says, there's a reason those others are cheap. They are cheap, in every sense of the word. That said, watch out for the kool-aid drinkers that would have you spend more for the same just so you can be in their club.