PDA

View Full Version : new stock for my 700 SPS... opinons please!

Cherns
06-17-2010, 9:05 AM
I am fairly new to the world of firearms and I'm looking to purchase a new stock for my 700 SPS, but I can't bring myself to save up for a stock that costs more than $250 (don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have a McMillan or H&S Precision or JAE-700 etc...) so i did some research, I've narrowed it down to a few nice stocks that are below the 250 price range but I would like to get some input from anyone who has had any experience with any of these stocks so that it may aid in my decision making process. here are the stocks I've been looking in to...

Choate Tactical Stock

B&C Tactical Medalist A2 or A3

BlackHawk Knoxx Axiom Ultra-Light

I've ready some pretty good things about the BlackHawk and I'm leaning more towards that one right now, but I really like the look of the B&C A2 and would put on a Karsten adjustable cheek pad if i were to get one of those. Any knowledge on the subject is greatly appreciated, thanks!

t0kie
06-17-2010, 9:09 AM
B&C is the best bang for the buck IMHO. Sometimes you can also find the HS Prec,. take off for less than $250. Good luck.
________
a00SpicyAlicia (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/a00SpicyAlicia/)

X-NewYawker
06-17-2010, 9:13 AM
B&C
Thats what they put on the Rem Custom Shop TDR

ar15barrels
06-17-2010, 9:35 AM
I am fairly new to the world of firearms and I'm looking to purchase a new stock for my 700 SPS, but I can't bring myself to save up for a stock that costs more than $250 (don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have a McMillan or H&S Precision or JAE-700 etc...)

Choate Tactical Stock

B&C Tactical Medalist A2 or A3

BlackHawk Knoxx Axiom Ultra-Light

Of those 3, the B&C Medalist is the way to go.
You can pick up HS "Take-off" stocks for less than $200 if you shop around on the for-sale forums.
An HS take-off stock is the best deal going in your price range.

tacticalcity
06-17-2010, 9:39 AM
I guess I spoil myself too much. McMillan or an AI AICS is pretty much the only way I go. That or I leave it stock.

I just don't have any first hand experience with the other stocks. They might be excellent. But given a choice I personally would keep saving for a while. Easier said than done I know. I have a rifle I am building that has been missing specific parts for almost a year. I'm holding out for the good stuff. Technically I have 3 incomplete rifles awaiting the finishing touches, but I'm likely to send up selling two off to pay for finishing the third.

I am not knocking any of those brands of stocks. I'm just saying the heart wants what the heart wants. If you feel like you are settling, you might not be happy. So make sure whatever you get it is something you are truly happy with. If you are...you'll never look back or regret the purchase.

I will say, even with a McMillan or AICS there is a slight level of disappointment. In the end they are only a stock. You spend all that money, and they don't even have the common courtesy to give you a reach around. ;)

As anti-gun as eBay can be, you can find some great deals on stocks like the ones you are looking for their. Snipershide.com is another great resource.