PDA

View Full Version : question reguarding ak muzzle length

1-shot-1-kill
06-17-2010, 1:17 AM
im looking to buy a older romy folding ak i was told that if i extend the muzzle 6 inches i could remove or keep the folding stock because it meets the min length requirements anybody know about this?
i dont want your opinions dont wanna come off mean or anything but just need straight to the point
just need info thanks

69Mach1
06-17-2010, 1:19 AM
True. The muzzle device can put it over the overall min length req. of 30 inches when folded. Of course a working folder still requires a bullet button magazine lock.

SJgunguy24
06-17-2010, 1:22 AM
True. The muzzle device can put it over the overall min length req. of 30 inches when folded. Of course a working folder still requires a bullet button magazine lock.

This and the barrel must be a minimum of 16" in length.

69Mach1
06-17-2010, 1:27 AM
Of course, and the device does not need to be perm.

I understand the fascination with having a working folder on a CA rifle, but realistically, for range use you still have to unfold it. On an AK, it only saves about 6 inches vs. a fixed stock (folder) model. However, to each his own.

CHS
06-17-2010, 8:04 AM
A folding stock is just another AW feature like flash hiders and collapsible stocks.

It is legal to have one on a fixed-magazine rifle PROVIDED that the rifle is still 30" minimum when the stock is fully collapsed or folder.

On most guns with folding stocks, they will be shorter than this while folded. A non-permanent threaded on muzzle device is sufficient to bring the OAL up to 30" or more while the stock is folded so that you don't have to pin the stock in the open position.

Just make sure that the muzzle device is long enough :)

GoodEyeSniper
06-17-2010, 10:16 AM
quick question on collapsible stocks. Are M4 style adjustable buttstocks considered collapsible? I mean if you go from it's longest setting, to it's shortest, it "collapses" but it's still always a decently sized buttstock, no matter the setting? I think I've seen featureless setups that utilize these style stocks, so hopefully they don't fall under that category.

69Mach1
06-17-2010, 10:17 AM
There should be no featurless rifles running functioning collap. or folding stocks. And yes, M4 stocks are considered collapsible.

GoodEyeSniper
06-17-2010, 10:22 AM
Oh, okay. Maybe I just imagined it then...

Thanks

djleisure
06-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Oh, okay. Maybe I just imagined it then...

Thanks
You have probably seen collapsible stocks on featureless builds, but people pin them in one position, thus rendering them un-collapsible. It's perfectly legal to do that as long as a tool is required to make the stock collapsible again.

stix213
06-17-2010, 1:08 PM
quick question on collapsible stocks. Are M4 style adjustable buttstocks considered collapsible? I mean if you go from it's longest setting, to it's shortest, it "collapses" but it's still always a decently sized buttstock, no matter the setting? I think I've seen featureless setups that utilize these style stocks, so hopefully they don't fall under that category.

You are only incorrect here because you attempted to apply logic to understand CA laws, but its obvious the laws were written after watching movies and noting down things that looked scary regardless of actual function.

How else could we end up with laws where an AK without a pistol grip or other evil features with an 80 round detachable drum mag is perfectly legal to let your 13 year old son shoot at the local range, while an AK with a pistol grip and a detachable 2 round magazine will hit you with felony AW charges.

BKinzey
06-17-2010, 2:12 PM
...the device does not need to be perm...

Did this change or am I confusing the expired Fed AW law with CA laws?:confused:

CHS
06-17-2010, 2:30 PM
Did this change or am I confusing the expired Fed AW law with CA laws?:confused:

To bring overall firearm length up, the muzzle device need not be permanent.

To bring <16" barrel length up, the muzzle device need be permanent.

We're talking about the former, not the latter.

CA AWB does not care about threaded muzzles. Fed AWB did.

tonelar
06-18-2010, 1:54 PM
the requirements for a muzzle device being permanently attached (blind pinned or silver soldered) are in regards to:

a) making a rifle barrel that is under 16" (or shotgun barrel that is under 18") legal.

b) making any long gun that is under 26"OAL legal