PDA

View Full Version : Derringer questions..

Omil
06-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Hi folks,
I'm waiting for my PPT's to be pick-up in 6 more days and I'm looking at a Cobra Derringer in 38spl, kind of intersting little pocket gun:D.
All my years of enjoying this hobby, I'd never own a Derringer, should I get one just for the fun of it or just not worth getting it? I'd liked how it looks, anyone has experience with these toys want to chime in for a thoughts? Thanks.:D

Rekrab
06-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Yes, you should get a derringer. Preferably in .45LC. :43:

bjl333
06-16-2010, 11:24 PM
^ self-punishment !!! I think a derringer is a great idea too ... I saw a couple in one of my local auctions. I just might get them if the price is right !!

Donkeypunch0420
06-17-2010, 12:10 AM
I had a Derringer many years ago. It was only a .22lr though. Not very accurate, definitely a "belly" gun. I hear the larger caliber ones of my same make were significantly more accurate. Hope you enjoy yours, I miss mine!

dfletcher
06-17-2010, 9:10 AM
I'd say if you're going to get a derringer get a well made one, I suppose the Cobra is OK but nothing special. There's an American Derringer @ Tabor's in San Bruno, I think it's 38 Special. Seems like a neat little gun, stainless, brushed finish.

I have a Bond Arms Derringer with 3 separate barrels - 45 ACP, 45 Colt and 10mm and also have a High Standard 22 magnum. I think the Bond is about the best made one out there and switching barrels takes about 30 seconds. Recoil isn't nearly as bad as you'd think. I see the High Standards floating around but have seen only one Bond in about 5 years.

nick
06-17-2010, 9:24 AM

You, sir, are pure evil :43:

I have a Cobra derringer in .38 special. A few things - the felt recoil is pretty bad. Yeah, it may only be a 38 special, but the gun is very small to begin with.

The trigger pull was somewhere around 30 lbs when I received it (I bought it new). I had to send it to the manufacturer, but it's still about 17-19 lbs. Basically, it's the precaution they use, as the gun has no trigger guard. On the other hand, given that it has to be manually cocked before it can be fired, it's an unnecessary and detrimental to performance (what there is of it) safety measure. It's not like this is the gun you can carry cocked and locked to begin with (there's no manual safety).

ojisan
06-17-2010, 10:25 AM
I have a Davis D38.
Yes, it's quite a kicker with a billy goat tough trigger.
It works perfect every time, so it's hard to call it a throw-away gun.
It's a cheap way to see how the old Remington .44rimfires work without spending $500 + just to tinker.
Also, .38 ammo is readily available, .44rimfire is not.
The high-quality Bond derringers are beautiful and are the way to go if you fall in love with these little stack barrel guns, I may get one in the future.
Derringers are great for snake shot use as there is no action to cycle or barrel gap to get fouled.
The Davis (and most others of this manufacture) outer finish is paint, so when it's time for a refinish, grab the krylon and spray away.

Black Majik
06-17-2010, 10:30 AM
I dunno if it's just the ones I've fired, but every derringer I've fired needed the strength of Zeus to fire. By the time the gun fired I was lucky if the bullet landed in the same area code.

ojisan
06-17-2010, 10:40 AM
To help with whatever accuracy there may be in these guns, the lower barrel should be fired first / most often.
This makes for less muzzle flip / movement as the bore line is lower in your hand.

We need a Baer Custom Derringer with a 3.5lb trigger pull. : )

dfletcher
06-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Re trigger pulls, I know they can be crappy as heck but I found that pressing down at a distinct angle helps quite a bit. My first few time pressing back and "sorta back" were quite the pain, but angling down helped alot.

Omil
06-19-2010, 4:39 PM
Thanks guys, just came back from my local Turner's this afternoon, no Derringer's in stock, I'd also did a search online and that Bondarms looks really cool. Where could I see one around LA or OC's.:confused:

hntnnut
06-19-2010, 4:51 PM

Heres mine in .45 LC and I love it.

Richard
http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p93/hntnnut/P1030757xxx-1.jpg

bsg
06-19-2010, 7:10 PM
apples and oranges i know... but if i was in the market for small i'd be looking at a Seecamp.