PDA

View Full Version : Took the RIA out today

high_lander
06-16-2010, 9:53 PM
Been a long time coming, but the first chance I had to shoot it. I had never shot a 1911 before, but this was extremely smooth. I went through 50 rds of WWB pretty quick.

However, my first full mag had some issues. I loaded 8 into the mag and inserted. I hit the slide release and then...nothing. It failed to go into battery. I pulled the slide back to lock, dropped the mag, and checked the ammo. Everything looked correct. I inserted the mag again, and got it go into battery. I fired off the 8 rounds but the slide didn't lock back. After about 3 mags worth of shooting everything started to work like it should.

Is this the infamous 1911 break in period? Anyways here's a target:
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q67/high_lander/1911.jpg

Omil
06-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Next time try diff. mags. Your RIA's came with ACT-mag. sometimes it would not drop easy like it should and I installed CMC or Wilson's. Proble solved. Excellent gun for the money, enjoy!:D

high_lander
06-16-2010, 10:16 PM
I have some Wilson 47Ds on order.

Rekrab
06-16-2010, 10:21 PM
My RIA had issues with going into battery when the magazine was empty. I replaced the slide stop with a Wilson Combat extended stop and it works perfectly now. When I compared my slide stop to others the profile was slightly different.

Cokebottle
06-16-2010, 10:29 PM
I had exactly ONE fail to feed during my first 50 rounds.
It was with a Wilson mag, and the slide locked back after 7 rounds, leaving the 8th rattling behind the chamber... for some reason, it "bumped" enough to knock the round out of the mag, but the slide lock was engaged so it didn't chamber.

Went through 150 rounds last Saturday (with the Wilson mag) and didn't have a single glitch.... total of about 275 rounds through her now.

Plisk
06-16-2010, 11:55 PM
The Rock Islands aren't exactly silky smooth from the factory, you'll have a few hangups during your first few hundred rounds. It's normal. It's only a problem if it consistently happens even when you change up ammo and mags.

They take a little break in, once it's there it'll run very very well.

RedDawn
06-17-2010, 12:07 AM
Ammo gets eaten up pretty quickly when you're having fun. Congrats!

xibunkrlilkidsx
06-17-2010, 7:56 AM
dont worry mine did that for a few mags as well.
mine likes the http://www.cmctactical.com/classicmags_18_ctg.html mags.

high_lander
06-17-2010, 8:29 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I was really surprised how smooth that .45 shot. Especially when shooting the pistol right. I normally shoot in a modified Weaver, but switched to neutral. Also looks like I am right eye dominant, but a lefty shooter. I just have to cant my head a little to get a good sight picture. I also started shooting with both eyes open. takes a little getting used to , but not that hard to change up. When I get a little better, I wouldn't mind shooting some IPDA or USPSA.

evidens83
06-17-2010, 8:42 AM
I've had a few hangups with the Novak/ACT mags until I swapped em out for some 47D's. Runs smooth now!

hnoppenberger
06-17-2010, 8:58 AM
my colt government break in: 200 rounds of reloads, zero hiccup.

DougJ
06-17-2010, 9:37 AM
I got an RIA tactical recently to go along with my Kimbers. I have a Custom II that is a commemorative with engraving, custom serial number, etc., and a Pro-Carry. I wanted another full size gun that I could fool around with and learn a little gunsmithing on, modify all I want, and generally beat on and maybe shoot some IDPA or something.

I've only put about 150 - 200 rounds through it so far, but I think I got just what I wanted with it. I field stripped, clean and lubricated it before the first session and I've had no issues that can be attributed to the gun. I had the slide lock open early one time in the first few rounds, but I think that was me fudging my grip due to the way the ambi safety was pressing into my right hand. I had the safety activate twice due to my right index finger knuckle pressing up on it. I have and Ed Brown safety on the way. I've put some CCI Blazer Brass and 200gr LSWC reloads through it so far.

Besides the safety, I have a sear pin, (to replace the over-long one that retains the stock ambi safety) a standard GI recoil spring guide and plug, an extended mag release, and a set of VZ coming for this gun. Once I get it running good with all that, then I need to address replacing the sights. I have modified the stock sights to make them better, but they do need to be updated.

Here's a thread with a couple of pics, including one of the modified sights. (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=309513)