PDA

View Full Version : gun list legality...need input

socal57chevy
03-31-2006, 7:15 PM
From what I have gathered regarding moving to Ca and bringing my guns along I have compiled a list of what can and cannot come along.

SKS Thumbhole Sporter.....definitely not coming to CA

Bushy XM15........ditto, not coming with me

Walther P99......OK to bring to CA

Phoenix HP22.....OK to bring to CA

Ruger 10/22......OK to bring to CA after removing the bullpup kit

Colt Double Eagle.....OK to bring after I remove the threaded barrel and comp.

RRA LAR-15.....OK to bring (it's a bare rec'r) to do a fixed mag build

Walther P22...???...Can I loctite the barrel nut or do I need some sort of certification that the barrel has been "fixed."

Am I on the right track? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

blacklisted
03-31-2006, 7:40 PM
The P22 may be tricky, but you can bring the 10/22 in with the bullpup kit as far as I know.

From what I have gathered regarding moving to Ca and bringing my guns along I have compiled a list of what can and cannot come along.

Walther P22...???...Can I loctite the barrel nut or do I need some sort of certification that the barrel has been "fixed."

Gnote
03-31-2006, 7:44 PM
The P22 may be tricky, but you can bring the 10/22 in with the bullpup kit as far as I know.

+1. For the P22, JB weld whould do the trick. The bullpup is definitely okay as the 10/22 is a rimfire rifle not centerfire. The Walther G22 is bullpup and CA legal.

EBWhite
03-31-2006, 8:03 PM

Is the sks banned by name? If not, put a regular stock on it and pin the magazine....

Take the handguns and just put a barrel nut over them, you wont have any issues...

It looks like the only thing that cannot come is the bushy xm15

shopkeep
03-31-2006, 8:10 PM
Provided you are not in violation of Federal Law pertaining to parts, the SKS is fine to bring in as long as it can't accept a detachable magazine. I've seen some insane post fed ban SKS rigs at the range recently decked out with rails, optics, telescopic stocks, folding stocks, and phantom vortex hiders.

socal57chevy
03-31-2006, 8:18 PM
Thanks, I thought I'd read something about 30" overall length, but I couldn't find it again to copy it. (didn't specify rimfire/centerfire as far as I can remember) The 10/22 is not quite that long in it's current configuration. If I remember correctly it's 27'' OAL. Are there any restrictions on features. It currently has a flash suppressor (which I was going to remove anyway) pistol grip, and will accept pre CA ban hi caps. I haven't seen much info on them as far as mods. If it's OK as a bullpup I'll just leave it.:D

icormba
03-31-2006, 8:24 PM
I thought Rock River Arms are on the banned list?

socal57chevy
03-31-2006, 8:25 PM
Provided you are not in violation of Federal Law pertaining to parts, the SKS is fine to bring in as long as it can't accept a detachable magazine. I've seen some insane post fed ban SKS rigs at the range recently decked out with rails, optics, telescopic stocks, folding stocks, and phantom vortex hiders.
It is a factory assembled unit that utilizes AK mags. It currently wears a 75 rd drum. It has the blonde thumbhole stock. It has a bayo lug. It is evil by all CA standards. I have a pic from when I lived in MO.
The bipod is just to support it for the pic.

socal57chevy
03-31-2006, 8:27 PM
I thought Rock River Arms are on the banned list?
That's what I thought. Come to find out RRA changed the model number and they now have an "LAR" prefix which takes them off the list. At least that's how I understand it.

socal57chevy
03-31-2006, 10:03 PM
Is the sks banned by name? If not, put a regular stock on it and pin the magazine....
It has a wider receiver and less open area for the mag (front to rear). Everyday SKS stocks do not fit without major work. It is item #29 on the AW list. (but) As far as I can tell this is not a modified receiver as that would mean the stock would have a useless open area where the fixed, hinged mag once was. No sign of machine work on milled rec.

Surveyor
03-31-2006, 10:17 PM
Thanks, I thought I'd read something about 30" overall length, but I couldn't find it again to copy it. (didn't specify rimfire/centerfire as far as I can remember) The 10/22 is not quite that long in it's current configuration. If I remember correctly it's 27'' OAL. Are there any restrictions on features. It currently has a flash suppressor (which I was going to remove anyway) pistol grip, and will accept pre CA ban hi caps. I haven't seen much info on them as far as mods. If it's OK as a bullpup I'll just leave it.:D

Rimfires don't fall under assault weapons laws. 30" OAL and evil features are a non-issue. Besides, those 10/22's look sharp with a flash suppressor!

socal57chevy
03-31-2006, 10:19 PM
Rimfires don't fall under assault weapons laws. 30" OAL and evil features are a non-issue. Besides, those 10/22's look sharp with a flash suppressor!
Excellent!
Many thanks.

xenophobe
03-31-2006, 11:01 PM
+1. For the P22, JB weld whould do the trick.

No, it will not. If is not a CA model or has not been serviced by Smith and Wesson, it is an assault weapon. The P22 needs to be sent back to Smith & Wesson to have the CA model bushing/nut (which does not have a provision for a wrench) installed.

socal57chevy
03-31-2006, 11:27 PM
No, it will not. If is not a CA model or has not been serviced by Smith and Wesson, it is an assault weapon. The P22 needs to be sent back to Smith & Wesson to have the CA model bushing/nut (which does not have a provision for a wrench) installed.

Well thats kinda stinky. Don't they know that's an inconvenience to people like me. I'll just leave it behind. I like to switch barrels occasionally anyway. It'll be a little incentive to visit family.

socal57chevy
03-31-2006, 11:29 PM
It was mentioned earlier that rimfires don't fall under the AW ban, but the p22 is obviously considered an AW in it's original form. What gives?

Surveyor
03-31-2006, 11:37 PM
It was mentioned earlier that rimfires don't fall under the AW ban, but the p22 is obviously considered an AW in it's original form. What gives?

Sorry, rimfire rifles dont fall under the AW category, but pistols do.

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following:
(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon.
(B) A thumbhole stock.
(C) A folding or telescoping stock.
(D) A grenade launcher or flare launcher.
(E) A flash suppressor.
(F) A forward pistol grip.
(2) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
(3) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches.
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer. (B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.
(5) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.

socal57chevy
03-31-2006, 11:55 PM
So it's OK to screw stuff on the barrel if I glue the mag to the frame. That's GAY!

Surveyor
04-01-2006, 1:19 AM
So it's OK to screw stuff on the barrel if I glue the mag to the frame. That's GAY!

Well if we didn't have that law, there would be all kinds of people being murdered with quiet weapons. Nobody gets shot around here since the bad guys are afraid of making to much noise, silly!

grammaton76
04-01-2006, 2:14 AM
If I'm not mistaken, you can buy a barrel for your P22 that doesn't have threading on it, right? Wouldn't dropping the replacement barrel on it address the AW issue?

socal57chevy
04-01-2006, 9:52 AM
If I'm not mistaken, you can buy a barrel for your P22 that doesn't have threading on it, right? Wouldn't dropping the replacement barrel on it address the AW issue?

I haven't seen anything like that. The barrel on these are 3 pc 1-barrel 2-collar 3-barrel nut. Without the nut/threaded barrel there is no way to secure it to the frame. I'll google it and see if anything comes up.
Thanks

xenophobe
04-01-2006, 10:06 AM

Possibly. But, if you can buy a CA barrel you would be fine.

socal57chevy
04-01-2006, 11:37 AM

Can't find any such animal. Looks like sending it to S&W is the only way to make sure it's 100% CA approved. (unless the mag gets permanently attached and I load through the top)
Not worth it IMO. I'll just leave it in MO.