PDA

View Full Version : sporting conversion kit does not equal fixed magazine?

swift
03-31-2006, 6:04 PM
I'm confused. I read the FAQ several times and I thought installing a sporting conversion kit that required an allen wrench to drop the magazine would be compliant. I've seen several senior members mention that this is not a DOJ-approved method for fixing the magazine and that the DOJ hasn't specified an approved method. The method I used to fix the magazine does fit the description in the law.

Does this mean I should just store the rifle until the DOJ tells us what needs to be done to be in compliance? What are you doing?

Ratters
03-31-2006, 6:38 PM
Don't you love how clear gun law is?

Sporting conversions work according to the letter of the law. The DOJ or your DA may interpret it a tad differently. They had Vulcan arms use and epoxy to hold in the magazine for them to consider it compliant. I'm doing the sportingconversion kit and feel the law backs me up on that. YMMV.

blacklisted
03-31-2006, 6:41 PM
Peanut butter and jelly are two great tastes that taste great together.

icormba
03-31-2006, 6:49 PM
There is a difference here... Vulcan arms had to use epoxy because they had/have an intent to SELL in California.

We "all" are building these things with the intent to keep for our own purpose/use... we are not in this to sell and make money. Doing so would require a Federal license.

Gnote
...Does this mean I should just store the rifle until the DOJ tells us what needs to be done to be in compliance? What are you doing?

Do what you feel most comfortable doing. Personally, we've built them up... Fixing the 10 round mag of course.

artherd
The method I used to fix the magazine does fit the description in the law.
It sure does!
Does this mean I should just store the rifle until the DOJ tells us what needs to be done to be in compliance?
You don't have to, but waiting and keeping 'em stripped is the safest approach at this time if you want to 'play it safe'
What are you doing?
I'm VERY happily shooting mine with a fixed (bolted ala Sporting Conversions) 10-round magazine! And if any LE has anything to say about it, I will gladly be a test case. I've got lawyers, guns and money.

shopkeep
03-31-2006, 7:06 PM
Hey Ben... ever take your rifles over the state line to Nevada yet :)?

Seriously though, both fixed mag and gripless AR-15 types are AWESOME! I love my Armalite/STAG 20" A2 and my Bushmaster/STAG 16" M4A3!

swift
03-31-2006, 8:45 PM
It sure does!

You don't have to, but waiting and keeping 'em stripped is the safest approach at this time if you want to 'play it safe'

I'm VERY happily shooting mine with a fixed (bolted ala Sporting Conversions) 10-round magazine! And if any LE has anything to say about it, I will gladly be a test case. I've got lawyers, guns and money.

After posting this, I went to my rifle and tried my best to remove the magazine without a tool. The round bolt head and the tight fit made it impossible for me to budge the magazine. I figure that unless the cop who thinks it is an AW is really ripped, he won't be able to remove it either.

Federal LEOs have told me that it doesn't matter, but, then again, there's no federal ban. (These same guys tell me that we law-abiding citizens should be allowed ccw like most free states have.)
I don't know any SDPD to ask. Does anyone know if the DA in el cajon or in downtown SD is pro-gun or anti-gun?

swhatb
03-31-2006, 9:04 PM
artherd - isn't it supposed to be i've got guns, money, and then lawyers:D