PDA

View Full Version : Weird lower experiance.

taloft
03-31-2006, 5:35 PM
So I go in to do the DROS on my new lower, and the guy working the counter rings me up. He then wanted me to sign a paper saying that it was my intention to build a fixed mag. rifle with the lower that I was purchasing. I figured no problem because it's my intention to do just that. He said that it wasn't for the DOJ, just something that the store was doing. I think it was a CYA sort of thing that they were doing to cover themselves from liability. Has anyone else heard of this?

TonyNorCal
03-31-2006, 5:38 PM
In that memo on the DOJ's website there's a bit about dealers being prosecuted if they tell people they can configure them without regard to 12276.1 (configure them as real ARs basically).

So it doesn't surprise me that an FFL would make sure the buyer acknowledges he was made aware of that in writing.

grammaton76
03-31-2006, 5:38 PM
So I go in to do the DROS on my new lower, and the guy working the counter rings me up. He then wanted me to sign a paper saying that it was my intention to build a fixed mag. rifle with the lower that I was purchasing. I figured no problem because it's my intention to do just that. He said that it wasn't for the DOJ, just something that the store was doing. I think it was a CYA sort of thing that they were doing to cover themselves from liability. Has anyone else heard of this?

Yep. CWS has a few forms on file with my signature that say exactly the same thing about my various lowers. I believe everyone selling off-list lowers is doing this.

Oh yeah, my friend who bought his in Jan or so also had to sign the same paperwork.

MikeG22
03-31-2006, 6:01 PM
CWS started that trend and sent copies out to most of the FFL's and advised them that they should also use them as a CYA.

avidone
03-31-2006, 6:03 PM
Before the memo, my FFL had me sign a statement like that. It was his stategy to protect himself, and I was glad to oblige him.

Jeff Rambo
03-31-2006, 6:14 PM
All three FFLs that I have done lower transactions with have required some type of waiver be signed. CYA precaution as you mentioned.

taloft
03-31-2006, 6:26 PM
This is good to hear. I figured that was the deal . Since I intend to do just that, I had no problem signing it. I just never heard anyone say anything about it. Just thought I'd check with the forum.

Doc was his name, nice person to deal with.

I let them know that we appreciate them doing this for us. Also, my thanks go out to CWS. They shipped it FAST. Great communication. To Bill and those who started all this by sticking their necks out, thank you all most sincerely.

CALI-gula
03-31-2006, 6:34 PM
One FFL had me sign a form like that but also required my Social Security Number, Birth Date, bank account information, and mortgage lender information. I was leery at first, but this was merely the details needed for him to arrange for my purchase of 45 MEGA lowers at $70.00 each.

I know I can trust him because he had documentation to show that he was the rightful king of Numbagawi, though he had been ousted by a major coup. So sad. He had access to the lowers as they had been left over from rifles his National Avant Guard's armory had never completed into full rifles due to the uprising, so they grabbed what little they had and fled to Italy, where he then transferred to California to avoid persecution by an unjust Numbagawian court. He works closely with a dealer here in Los Angeles, who for the time being, is operating out of an apartment in San Gabriel. He has also agreed to share with me 6% of the $3.5 Million dollars that is tied up in his country's bank awaiting transfer to a German bank, but needed an American bank account to assist with the funds. He will act as the custodian for the funds and deliver the lowers to his FFL in San Gabriel based on just a 50% deposit! It was the deal of a lifetime and I couldn't pass it up!

I sent him the money on Monday; boy, I can't wait to get those lowers!! If anyone wants MEGAs in about a week, I'll be selling them at a good price!

I'm gonna be rich!!! :D

blacklisted
03-31-2006, 7:36 PM
WHAT? He told me that I was to be the heir of the Honorable Lord Musafar, and that I would receive the 45 MEGA lowers when I filled out the appropriate diplomatic papers and confirmed my bank account in Hong Kong. :confused:

Obviously he has access to 90 MEGA lowers.

One FFL had me sign a form like that but also required my Social Security Number, Birth Date, bank account information, and mortgage lender information. I was leery at first, but this was merely the details needed for him to arrange for my purchase of 45 MEGA lowers at $70.00 each.

I know I can trust him because he had documentation to show that he was the rightful king of Numbagawi, though he had been ousted by a major coup. So sad. He had access to the lowers as they had been left over from rifles his National Avant Guard's armory had never completed into full rifles due to the uprising, so they grabbed what little they had and fled to Italy, where he then transferred to California to avoid persecution by an unjust Numbagawian court. He works closely with a dealer here in Los Angeles, who for the time being, is operating out of an apartment in San Gabriel. He has also agreed to share with me 6% of the $3.5 Million dollars that is tied up in his country's bank awaiting transfer to a German bank, but needed an American bank account to assist with the funds. He will act as the custodian for the funds and deliver the lowers to his FFL in San Gabriel based on just a 50% deposit! It was the deal of a lifetime and I couldn't pass it up!

I sent him the money on Monday; boy, I can't wait to get those lowers!! If anyone wants MEGAs in about a week, I'll be selling them at a good price!

LOW2000
03-31-2006, 7:59 PM
IIRC in the early days of January, I didn't sign anything when I picked mine up, my buddy 20 days later had to sign when he did his though.

Turbinator
03-31-2006, 9:48 PM

Good thing your buddy gave you his FFL, else the DOJ and ATF are going to accuse you of conducting a firearms business without the proper licensing! :)

Turby

dawson8r
03-31-2006, 10:15 PM
I've purchased 6 lowers in 3 separate transactions (yeah I've got black rifle disease BAD). Anyway, I've had to sign the "I understand the laws and will only build an SB23 firearm" form on each occasion. FFL, who has been great to work with, said its to cover their butt.

hdcd
03-31-2006, 10:30 PM
I've purchased 3 lowers in the last month on two separate occasions and have never been asked to sign any waiver..

swift
04-01-2006, 12:38 AM
Yep. CWS has a few forms on file with my signature that say exactly the same thing about my various lowers. I believe everyone selling off-list lowers is doing this.

Oh yeah, my friend who bought his in Jan or so also had to sign the same paperwork.
I didn't sign anything like that. Drosed in Feb.
However, I will, comply with the law....

grammaton76
04-01-2006, 1:54 AM
I didn't sign anything like that. Drosed in Feb.
However, I will, comply with the law....

Weird - maybe they stopped doing it for a while? My first time was shortly after the new year, when I was picking up...

tenpercentfirearms
04-01-2006, 8:57 AM
Tis true, we started the legal agreement and we have one signed by every single customer who bought a lower. I have freely sent a copy of my agreement to any dealer who asked. Every dealer should read the February 1 memo and be concerned that if one of their customers gets busted and they have no proof that they notified their customer of the law, someone might go after them. I have nothing to worry about, I don't know about anyone else.

The agreement only protects me and I see no way I could use it against you. The only way it could come back to haunt a customer is if you built one up illegally and tried to claim you didn't know and they get ahold of that record and prove you did. I would think either way ignorance is no excuse and you are still going to prison.