PDA

View Full Version : ATT UVerse DVR to DVD Recorder

RogueSniper
06-16-2010, 4:43 PM
I just switched from Comcast but now the DVD Recorder says can't record because of copyright materials - I'm trying to move my World Cup recording to a DVD so I can watch it in the garage. That's a new one on me. Comcast's DVR allowed me to move all my programs from the DVR to the DVDR, but the ATT DVR won't.

I don't want to violate any copyright laws here but this annoys me. I don't want to use a device to violate any laws, I just want to enjoy my sports without cluttering up the DVR.

I looked up ATT UVerse Forums and someone mentioned using a PVR. What's that? I looked around and found Hauppauge PVR Mdl 01212. Anyone using a PVR?

ldivinag
06-16-2010, 5:13 PM
how are the 2 devices hooked up?

if via HDMI, the protected BIT that is part of the bitstream is flagging the dvd recorder to reject the protected material.

but, all of them only cares if you are going via digital stream.

if you can go via component video, that is analog and you should be able to record. though i havent seen a dvd recorder with component video IN...

orangeusa
06-16-2010, 5:24 PM
I just googled and found this, but is $200. argh

Hauppauge (good company) makes this PVR. Apparenetly removes the copy protection on video.
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

Kind of a bummer cause I used to be able to download from Tivo. Not with Uverse DVR.... And the AT&T encrypts the video files, so you can't just slam the HDD into a USB HDD adaptor and copy them..... AT&T has done their homework.

I'll keep looking, cause was wondering the same thing...

orangeusa
06-16-2010, 5:25 PM
You can play the stored video and tape on another device, but haven't tried it myself.

ke6guj
06-16-2010, 5:44 PM
sounds like the ATT DVR output is using macrovison and the DVD recorder won't record macrovisioned streams.

A PVR (Personal Video Recorder) sometimes refers to a PC being used as a DVR. That Hauppauge card is a HD capture card (via component cables), do you need to capture the recordings in HD? Does the ATT DVR even output HD. If not, you can use any of Hauppauge's Standard Definition analog tuners.

JDay
06-16-2010, 6:40 PM
I just googled and found this, but is $200. argh

Hauppauge (good company) makes this PVR. Apparenetly removes the copy protection on video.
http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html

Depends on if that can decode your video stream or not.

JDay
06-16-2010, 6:42 PM
sounds like the ATT DVR output is using macrovison and the DVD recorder won't record macrovisioned streams.

A PVR (Personal Video Recorder) sometimes refers to a PC being used as a DVR. That Hauppauge card is a HD capture card (via component cables), do you need to capture the recordings in HD? Does the ATT DVR even output HD. If not, you can use any of Hauppauge's Standard Definition analog tuners.

I'm willing to be that it is in HD if he's using HDMI. Most everything is in HD these days.

ke6guj
06-16-2010, 6:47 PM
Depends on if that can decode your video stream or not.
The HD-PVR does not do any decoding of any digital streams. It only records via s-video, composite, or component inputs from an another source.

I'm willing to be that it is in HD if he's using HDMI. Most everything is in HD these days.The OP never mentioned HD or HDMI, and since he was planning on recording to DVD, it would have been in SD anyways. So, if the OP did not want to record it in HD, there are a lot of SD-only cards that he could use instead of that HDPVR.