PDA

View Full Version : advice needed: gunbroker purchase from an NR seller

vulcan
06-16-2010, 4:35 PM
Hi everyone, I committed to the auction below, aware that the seller is NR, Id like to get everyone's opinion before I send the seller a personal check.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=173777437

The mags arent accompanying the firearm.

Thanks.

tacticalcity
06-16-2010, 4:40 PM
Well, you knew that when you bid didn't you? All that information was there for you to see. So you're pretty much commited. The worst that can happen by not sending the payment is you get negative feedback. But he looses his listing fees, and final value fees and you end up really screwing him over all because you didn't pay close enough attention before bidding. So if you don't pay, hope and prey there is no such thing as Karma because you just did a number on him.

We were all first time sellers at one point. So you have to have a little faith in people. More often than not they won't let you down. If you send a personal check, and your item never shows up, I am pretty sure you can dispute it through your bank. Cross your fingers, hope for the best, and next time don't bit if you have doubts.

geeknow
06-16-2010, 4:45 PM
Do I understand this correctly...?

You bid on an item, won the bid (which commits you to the sale), and are now wondering if you should fulfil your obligation...?:eek:

Yes, I think you should.

berto
06-16-2010, 4:49 PM
Postal money order, certified with with return receipt.

graniteob
06-16-2010, 4:53 PM
I always use a Postal money order when I buy off Gunbroker. Fill it out completely and save your stub.

vulcan
06-16-2010, 4:55 PM
Thanks for the good advice everyone, especially the postal money order idea.

1911Operator
06-16-2010, 4:55 PM
you can have him send the mags, but they have to be taken apart. use them as rebuild kits.

orangeusa
06-16-2010, 4:57 PM
I agree with the above posts about USPS MO, registered mail. Gives you a little more protection with USPS help.

I did the same recently. GB has a $500 buyer guarantee that you won't get ripped off ($100 deductable). So worst you can lose is $100.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Support/SupportFAQView.aspx?faqid=1169

I called the seller several times, and emailed him several times before I did the BIN. Bottom line, I got the feel he was a normal guy, and he was as nervous as I was!!!

Get as much info as you can. Likely you'll be fine.

Remember - everybody has to start somewhere... and I got a HECK of a deal!!! Primarily cause seller had no rating, and cause he took the worst pictures possible and mis-spelled the name of the gun!! hahaha

Good luck!!

Wherryj
06-16-2010, 5:24 PM
Do I understand this correctly...?

You bid on an item, won the bid (which commits you to the sale), and are now wondering if you should fulfil your obligation...?:eek:

Yes, I think you should.

I agree.

I also recommend fully researching any purchases on online sites, including gunbroker. There are multiple posts in the coltforum about fake weapons/sellers posting one and sending another. It seems to be big for the "collectable" types that have been discontinued-like the Python.

orangeusa
06-16-2010, 5:28 PM
fredieusa - Did you ever try the GB buyers protection program? I.e. did you get anymoney back from GB?

railroader
06-16-2010, 7:01 PM
The M&P 40 came with a mag safety and without a mag safety. The mag safety version is the one on the roster. Look at the second pic. That gun says it can be fired without a magazine in it. It has no mag safety and isn't on the roster. You don't want to have something shipped here that can't be transferred. Mark

M&P 40 (Mag Safety) / Stainless Steel, Polymer Pistol 4.25" .40 S&W 5/18/2011
M&P 40 (Mag. Safety, Internal Lock) / Stainless Steel, Polymer Pistol 4.25" .40 S&W 11/30/2010
M&P 9 (Mag Safety) / Stainless Steel, Polymer Pistol 4.25" 9mm 8/16/2010
M&P 9 (Mag. Safety, Internal Lock) / Stainless Steel, Polymer Pistol 4.25" 9mm 11/30/201

http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/173777000/173777437/pix76113453.jpg

ih8ca
06-16-2010, 7:14 PM
Its simple, See if he will take gunpal as payment. Maybe give him a few extra dollars. You are now protected through gunpal and your credit card company.

dfletcher
06-16-2010, 7:21 PM
The mag safety difference above is a good point and if the gun can not be shipped here you have an out - it's an out that should still result in you covering the guy's cost and probably getting a feedback ding but it is, to my mind, different than one of cold feet or 2nd thoughts. I suppose also a cheap lesson too.

If the gun can be sent here, you can do a couple of things to help check out the seller a bit.

You can do a Zabasearch on the guy's name & mailing address - they should match. WhitePages.com helps do the same. You can also do a Google Earth and check if the address matches up - if you're mailing to his home that should show too. If the mailing address doesn't show or is an empty parking lot I that would be a bit of a flag, I think.

There's probably a few other ways, I pretty much always pay by CC and am not all that attuned to them.

zinfull
06-16-2010, 7:22 PM
You only have 5 ratings so do not be hard on a NR guy. Most of yours was ammo and no big ticket items. USPS money order and talk to the guy on t5he phone. I always get an address and google the name and location.

jerry

railroader
06-16-2010, 7:33 PM
I would contact your ffl and find out if it can be transfered. If it can't contact the seller before this goes any further. Mark

ROTC sniper
06-16-2010, 7:55 PM
Its simple, See if he will take gunpal as payment. Maybe give him a few extra dollars. You are now protected through gunpal and your credit card company.

This is the best way...also use an AMEX with GUNPAL. We take AMEX at work and trust me we do A LOT of business through them but they are high advocates for their customers (in the case of the buyer as customer). If he doesn't ship you can dispute through both GUNPAL as well as through your AMEX. Just show proof of purchase and dispute. The onus(sp?) will be on the seller to prove that he shipped and it was received.

Goes to the flip side as well. If you are the seller, keep very detailed receipts as to shipment proof and your are protected.

As many have mentioned, we all started buying/selling at a zero rating at one point. Good luck.

Thefeeder
06-16-2010, 8:20 PM
Being the winner you have access to their phone #, give them a call and you will be able to talk to the seller.

If you are having buyer's remorse...join the club, you still should do the right thing and send the payment.