PDA

View Full Version : Update on YSA Assault Weapons Arrest

shopkeep
03-31-2006, 2:05 PM
So I got nervous when I heard 6172 Crew mention that someone may have been arrested on AW charges at the YSA in Davis. Well I decided to follow up on this and made some phone calls.

Phone Call #1 to YSA:

YSA: YSA, what can I do for ya?

Shopkeep: I'm calling to ask about the recent arrest that took place at your range.

YSA: What arrest?

Shopkeep: I heard that someone was arrested on Assault Weapons charges.

YSA: Never heard about it. I'm sure everyone would be talking about it if something like that happened. It's never happened here before.

Shopkeep: Thank you for your time.

Phone Call #2 Davis Police Department

DPD: hello DPD

Shopkeep: I'm calling about the arrest you made at the YSA for Assault Weapons Charges

DPD: ok hold on one moment

<waits about 4 or 5 minutes>

DPD: I don't have any information on anything like that. Are you sure it was the DPD that made the arrest?

Shopkeep: I guess not. Thank you for your time.

-------------------------------------------------

Well there you have it folks. If you hear about it only or through a friend it must be true right? Seriously though if this thing is some kind of secret DOJ sting at the YSA I'd like to know more, but it sounds like this bust could be another rumor. I'm staying clear of the YSA until I know more.

tenpercentfirearms
03-31-2006, 2:12 PM
Again Shopkeep, you need to seriously relax man. I am not trying to be mean, but you are way too high strung for this. Keep your lowers stripped and lay low. The last thing we need is rumors to get started and everyone jumping off the deepend. After all, I have parts to sell!!! :D

I think it is pretty clear the dog days of December and January are over. The DOJ realizes they have nothing and that their options are limited. They haven't been intimidating anyone or really starting anymore rumors. Basically, it is back to business as it was always intended. We are building fixed magazine rifles to shoot as fixed magazine rifles or you are building a SB23 compliant detachable magazine rifle. Don't worry about lists or anything else, just go about your normal business of enjoying what remains of your Second Amendment rights. And for God's Sake quit handing out at calguns and listening to the rumorville. :eek:

chickenfried
03-31-2006, 2:21 PM
From your post 6172crew and others knew about it, but didn't feel like posting and getting the rumor mill churned up. It was you're post that started things going on calguns. I think you should take tenpercent's advice.

Well there you have it folks. If you hear about it only or through a friend it must be true right? Seriously though if this thing is some kind of secret DOJ sting at the YSA I'd like to know more, but it sounds like this bust could be another rumor. I'm staying clear of the YSA until I know more.

grammaton76
03-31-2006, 2:25 PM
From your post 6172crew and others knew about it, but didn't feel like posting and getting the rumor mill churned up. It was you're post that started things going on calguns. I think you should take tenpercent's advice.

Actually, there was a post a month or two ago which got a lot of activity and then went silent. Folks were asking about good lawyers since they said they'd been busted. I've been wondering about that for a while but this is the first I'd heard about it since then.

shopkeep
03-31-2006, 2:29 PM
Actually, there was a post a month or two ago which got a lot of activity and then went silent. Folks were asking about good lawyers since they said they'd been busted. I've been wondering about that for a while but this is the first I'd heard about it since then.

This was what I was reffering to. However once 6172 Crew used the words "Davis range" the terror set in. It would be completely different if 6172 Crew said, "Yeah I heard somewhere down in Los Angeles...." or something. I am certainly interested in finding out more and that's why I made the phone calls today.

krazek
03-31-2006, 2:38 PM
Keep your lowers stripped and lay low.

haha seriously. Patience IS a virtue ;)

blacklisted
03-31-2006, 2:39 PM
A while back a guy came here asking for advice on good gun attorneys, and looking for a letter that says it's legal to change the mag on a Vulcan. He was in trouble, and he hasn't been heard from since.

DV8
03-31-2006, 5:34 PM
Was that the same guy who said "LOCKYER" 3 times in front of a mirror in a dark bathroom???? ;)

blacklisted
03-31-2006, 6:43 PM
Was that the same guy who said "LOCKYER" 3 times in front of a mirror in a dark bathroom???? ;)

I'll have you know that I am still emotionally scarred from that encounter.

6172crew
03-31-2006, 6:59 PM
The range is in San Leandro on Davis St.:rolleyes:

shopkeep
03-31-2006, 7:02 PM

Then why did you say just "Davis"? Man you scared the **** out of me. Yeah I heard about that bust down in San Leandro. It was when I drove down to pick up three STAG-15s heh :)....

blacklisted
03-31-2006, 7:04 PM

Oh, snap :D

EBWhite
03-31-2006, 7:06 PM
So did this really happen and what was the story??
illegal config?? or just a legal gun like our members have?

phish
03-31-2006, 7:36 PM

I'll ask Larry on Monday when I go in for pick-up.

Surveyor
03-31-2006, 8:32 PM

Wow, You pulled that "Bloody Mary" reference out of the vault!

You just earned yourself a good reputation point for that one!

blacklisted
03-31-2006, 8:56 PM
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b343/ebolamonkey/blol.jpg

Turbinator
03-31-2006, 8:58 PM

Ok, so what are the details?? You can't just tease us and leave us to our own devices..

Turby

Prince50
03-31-2006, 9:16 PM
Oh Blacklisted, that was the funniest post I've seen in just about forever!

It was so good, I just had my wife pause LIVE TV to come see it.

We were both unable to speak for awhile.

Good job! Nice photoshop work.

Darin

Surveyor
03-31-2006, 9:40 PM

You are one seriously creepy little b*****d!

Uh, that didn't really happen, did it? :confused:

blacklisted
03-31-2006, 9:47 PM
You are one seriously creepy little b*****d!

Uh, that didn't really happen, did it? :confused:

If it did, then maybe I'm a spy and am passing information to the DoJ as we speek. :eek:

Surveyor
03-31-2006, 9:50 PM
If it did, then maybe I'm a spy and am passing information to the DoJ as we speek. :eek:

(Shudder) That just gave me an acid chill looking at it.

filefish
03-31-2006, 10:19 PM
yea dos anyone know whar ever happened with that "i"m in trouble" vulcan guy? I was subscribed to that thread but it just went "poof" and it was gone

artherd
04-01-2006, 12:41 AM

BEFORE YOU DIE, YOU SEE THE AG!

DV8
04-01-2006, 7:06 AM
I thought that was one of them scary webflash things were you stare at it with the volume on your pc turned all the way up and a pic of lockyer suddenly shows up with a loud scream....

On second thought, any programmers here who can do that? We can direct all the newbs to stare at Bills AR/AK faq tell em to turn their volume all the way up, then flash lockyer or feinsteins pic with a loud scream. That would be hilarious! :D

GW
04-01-2006, 2:00 PM
Getting back on track with the original topic
I have a few questions
1. Since there is no requirement for me to carry paper on my pre-ban (Y2K) AR and there is NO paper on these unlisted lowers, how would an officer of the law even know what is and isn't SB 23 legal/illegal?

2. Assuming these fellows weren't felons in posession of a firearm, what basis would an officer have for arresting them simply for having an AR, even with a detachable mag?
Is there a list of off-list lowers that cops are carrying that they knew this was a new AR ("Say! That's a Stag!)

(I'm making the big assumption that these guys weren't saying "Look at my brand new AR-15!" as he was loading a 30 rd mag into it.)

Where is there a rifle range in San Leandro?

swift
04-01-2006, 2:53 PM
[QUOTE=GW]Getting back on track with the original topic
I have a few questions
1. Since there is no requirement for me to carry paper on my pre-ban (Y2K) AR and there is NO paper on these unlisted lowers, how would an officer of the law even know what is and isn't SB 23 legal/illegal?

The point of carrying documentation suggested by TonyNorCal is to be able to state the rifle isn't listed because it doesn't need to be. The LEO may not be aware of this, and if you have copies of everything recommended, this might be the end of it.

I understood that if you had a registered AW, the LEO could call in and check based on the serial number. It could be a little inconvenient if the LEO thinks it is an unregistered AW.

artherd
04-02-2006, 1:52 AM
LE can call in the SN to an equivilent (or the actual I forget) AFS to check if it's stolen, or not a registered AW, or if a handgun, if it's registered to the person currently in posession of it.

rkt88edmo
04-02-2006, 9:14 AM
Where is there a rifle range in San Leandro?Places to shoot in the San Francisco Bay Area (http://www.dragunov.net/bay_area_ranges.htm)

AggregatVier
04-02-2006, 12:48 PM
As to the black mirror - I have no fear of evil genies that can't keep their tie straight. He must be a zombie. :cool:

GW
04-02-2006, 6:23 PM
Thanks for the link!

RRangel
04-02-2006, 6:31 PM
How about people refrain from posting things that are unsubstantiated? It doesn't do anyone any good. It's hard enough getting real news, we sure don't need rumors getting blown out of proportion.

NRAhighpowershooter
04-03-2006, 10:10 AM
OK.. here's the REAL dope on the Davis St. Range in San Leandro, AR bust..

This info came from a LEO source and I can't mention names.. Davis St. range has a LOT of LEO's qualifying there.. on this particular day the parking lot was full of marked black and whites.... some gangbangers (2) had FULL AUTO AR's on the 100yd line.... the cops noticed the sound of someone going ful auto.. came out to investigate.. and vola!!! BUSTED!!! our Calguns.net member, phish, was there when I got this info and will confirm this info. oh.. and these weren't 'offlist' lowers.. so breath easy guys!!

*boy.. talk about winning the Darwin Award for the decade!!!!!

blacklisted
04-03-2006, 10:28 AM
Hahahahahahahahahahah :d

OWNED

Surveyor
04-03-2006, 10:42 AM
This is what we get for making fun of the DOJ! :D

"When you little scamps get together, you're worse than a sewing circle."

- "Mia Wallace" (Uma Thurman)

Pulp Fiction 1994

6172crew
04-03-2006, 10:48 AM
OK.. here's the REAL dope on the Davis St. Range in San Leandro, AR bust..

This info came from a LEO source and I can't mention names.. Davis St. range has a LOT of LEO's qualifying there.. on this particular day the parking lot was full of marked black and whites.... some gangbangers (2) had FULL AUTO AR's on the 100yd line.... the cops noticed the sound of someone going ful auto.. came out to investigate.. and vola!!! BUSTED!!! our Calguns.net member, phish, was there when I got this info and will confirm this info. oh.. and these weren't 'offlist' lowers.. so breath easy guys!!

*boy.. talk about winning the Darwin Award for the decade!!!!!

Hmmm, Im glad I didnt say more because I was wrong on some of the info.;)

phish
04-03-2006, 11:00 AM
confirmed, I had a good laugh when I heard the scoop this morning

some people just deserve to be busted out of sheer stupidity :rolleyes:

tenpercentfirearms
04-03-2006, 11:03 AM
I thought full-auto was already illegal. How did they get a hold of those weapons of mass destruction? We should ban .22s now so this will never happen again.

AW-FANATIC
04-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Nice to see that the gun bans have worked an all thos full autos are off the street.....yeah right. Just goes to show that the bans havent done squat to keep guns out of the hands of retards.

adamsreeftank
04-03-2006, 2:41 PM
Maybe they bought some of those "legal" drop in auto sears.

Sgt Raven
04-03-2006, 2:43 PM
The next ? was it a real deal FA or were they "bump" firing?

blacklisted
04-03-2006, 3:08 PM
Maybe they bought some of those "legal" drop in auto sears.

:D

"Legal" if you don't own an AR-15. Even then, it's "legal", not legal. :D

Veritas_223
04-03-2006, 3:45 PM
When you say gang bangers..What do you mean? Were they wearing Crips or Bloods colors or Aryan Nations tats? Or where they just younger folks(black/asian/hispanic/white) with baggy clothes and bling?

NRAhighpowershooter
04-03-2006, 3:55 PM
My source didn't say about tats or any of that stuff.. but that the AR's were modified for 'go fast' shooting...

PanzerAce
04-03-2006, 5:50 PM
My source didn't say about tats or any of that stuff.. but that the AR's were modified for 'go fast' shooting...

*shrugs*, a VERY light trigger and the right finger placement could probably get it to bump fire from the shoulder *shrugs, again*

CowtownBallin
04-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Why call DPD for the YSA range? It's in Woodland, you need to call Yolo Sheriff ;) And there's no ARs in Woodland, only dudes shooting muskets and Ruger 10/22s from Big 5 :D

glen avon
04-04-2006, 8:04 AM
*shrugs*, a VERY light trigger and the right finger placement could probably get it to bump fire from the shoulder *shrugs, again*

I have never been able to bumpfire an AR. not enough recoil.

rkt88edmo
04-04-2006, 8:24 AM
You just need a lighter AR and a little more practice :p I can bump a little bit but have never been able to go for more than about 5-8 rounds.

tpliquid1
04-04-2006, 9:41 AM
bump is fun!!! took abuot 4 mags to figure it out

edit:
yea a light ar works teh best. i couldnt do much with my rra with rails and crap on it.

6172crew
04-04-2006, 9:50 AM
Why call DPD for the YSA range? It's in Woodland, you need to call Yolo Sheriff ;) And there's no ARs in Woodland, only dudes shooting muskets and Ruger 10/22s from Big 5 :D

Like I said the guys who are in trouble are from the bay area not Davis.

I heard that they were gangbanger looking guys also. By this I took it as a guy who wheres cloths that are to big, resembling jailhouse "one size fits all" issue cloths. BTW does anyone know why they where a ball cap with the bill over one ear?:confused: Ive been trying to figure that one out for the last 2 years or so....yo.

mow
04-04-2006, 9:53 AM
BTW does anyone know why they where a ball cap with the bill over one ear?:confused: Ive been trying to figure that one out for the last 2 years or so....yo.

I can't tell you why anyone else does it, but I do it mainly when I am driving to keep the sun out of my eyes when the sun visor won't block the sun. :D But I guess it isn;t really over my ear .... more in between my forehead and my ear :p

tpliquid1
04-04-2006, 10:05 AM
i should start putting 100's under my hat now. big balla homie

NoTime2Shoot
04-04-2006, 10:07 AM
BTW does anyone know why they where a ball cap with the bill over one ear?:confused: Ive been trying to figure that one out for the last 2 years or so....yo.

Uhhhh, hello! Hearing protection! :D

schizrade2
04-04-2006, 11:44 AM
I have never been able to bumpfire an AR. not enough recoil.

Lol, mine bumps too much. All internals are good and functioning well. It likes to dump 3-6 rounds now and again. Rapid firing takes on a whole new meaning at times. :D

pop. pop. pop. pop-pop-pop-pop. Woah there!

knight_dive
04-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Lol, mine bumps too much. All internals are good and functioning well. It likes to dump 3-6 rounds now and again. Rapid firing takes on a whole new meaning at times. :D

pop. pop. pop. pop-pop-pop-pop. Woah there!

Could that be a soft/broken disconnector spring?

6172crew
04-04-2006, 12:06 PM
Could that be a soft/broken disconnector spring?

Thats what I heard happened, there were semi-auto parts installed incorrectly.

Apeman88
04-05-2006, 12:22 AM
a few months ago... a friend, after tryiing to lighten the trigger pull, tested his work at a local range... his AR went FA and emptied his 10 round in one pull... letting go of the trigger didn't stop the rounds from firing! Range master got pissed and a few LE surrounded him. The friend told everone it's not FA and do not know why it went FA on him. They took his AR and the selector does not go to the 3rd FA position so the range master test fired it... and again, same thing happened.

After the range's gunsmith took it apart... he found that the friend had grinded and buffed the disconnector so much that it won't latch and one pull of the trigger will empty the mag regardless if you release the trigger or not.

So be careful if you're trying to "lighten" the trigger pull... don't grind the disconnector down too much.

BTW... the LE was ready to put cuffs on him... the range master saved him by first taking the rifle to the gunsmith.

Ken

grammaton76
04-05-2006, 12:42 AM
Dude... I can't imagine many things scarier than an unintentional FA conversion. Unless of course it's unintentional FA while borrowing an out-of-state friend's Beta-C mag...

NeoWeird
04-05-2006, 12:52 AM
There is actually a guy on arfcom who has movies of him dumping an 80 round Beta mag (he said he couldn't get it to start with a full Beta mag, too much weight) from the shoulder and is able to aim it fairly accurately (from what I can see, most rounds are within a 2 foot radius about 30-50 yards away).

I keep hearing about people making accidental full-autos. If it's just an incorrect installation, that's one thing, but if you modded any part of the internals or receiver in any way you might want to be VERY sure you know what you are doing. You accidentally grind too much, weld the wrong area, doo to much/little, etc and all of a sudden you manufactured an NFA weapon. Just be careful, and if you are not 100% sure of what you're doing, seek additional help.

rkt88edmo
04-05-2006, 7:37 AM
So be careful if you're trying to "lighten" the trigger pull... don't grind the disconnector down too much.

Ummm...how about don't grind anything at all in th trigger group unless you really understand what you are doing. It sounds like your friend didn't.

Satex
04-05-2006, 7:42 AM
I can never figure out why they walk with their pants so low that they have to use one hand to hold them up all the time.
Whenever I see one of them, I always want to say: "dude, your pants are falling"

Like I said the guys who are in trouble are from the bay area not Davis.

I heard that they were gangbanger looking guys also. By this I took it as a guy who wheres cloths that are to big, resembling jailhouse "one size fits all" issue cloths. BTW does anyone know why they where a ball cap with the bill over one ear?:confused: Ive been trying to figure that one out for the last 2 years or so....yo.

TheMan
04-05-2006, 7:43 AM
Thats what I heard happened, there were semi-auto parts installed incorrectly.

A function check should have caught that before ammo was ever put in the rifle. Maybe we need to post a description of how to do one, with pics?

glen avon
04-05-2006, 7:47 AM
I can never figure out why they walk with their pants so low that they have to use one hand to hold them up all the time.
Whenever I see one of them, I always want to say: "dude, your pants are falling"

it started as an emulation of prisoners. no belts in prison - they make handy weapons. so there are lots of droopy drawers in prison. the people on the outside just could not wait to affect that look, apparently.

glen avon
04-05-2006, 7:49 AM
Ummm...how about don't grind anything at all in th trigger group unless you really understand what you are doing. It sounds like your friend didn't.

AR trigger parts are surface hardened only. not a good idea to touch them at all. not with good aftermarket stuff available for drop in.

ligamentum flavum
04-05-2006, 3:59 PM
this comes from tinkering with 1911's.

after a trigger job, it's always a good idea to test fire with 1-2 rounds in the mag as a precaution.

glen avon
04-05-2006, 4:34 PM
if this was a disco problem a non-shrouded FP should have caught the top of hammer. it's designed that way.

I wonder which bolt carrier, firing pin and hammer was used?

Apeman88
04-05-2006, 9:20 PM
He used Model 1 sales's LPK and upper... from reading some of the negatives on Model 1... maybe that's the reason.. :eek:

Ken

rkt88edmo
04-05-2006, 9:49 PM
AR trigger parts are surface hardened only. not a good idea to touch them at all. not with good aftermarket stuff available for drop in.

Now that is just silly talk; there are a couple of tiny minor tweaks you can make for a crisper trigger while keeping your "service" trigger pull and not spending any money.

7.62MM
04-06-2006, 4:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Democratic Underground
I read an article in the local newspaper about a guy that robbed a liquor store with a fully automatic revolver, do you want to live in a country like that?

"for evrey fatal shooting, there were roughly three nonfatal shootings . And, folks, this is unacceptable in America. It's just unacceptable .And we're going to do something about it ." GW Bush Philadelphia May 14, 2001

okdo
07-20-2010, 3:14 PM
I have been on the Board of YSA for 25 years. No arrests ever and if you follow our safety rules no one gets a second glance! On any given day we have 5-10 black guns on the range all day!

Fjold
07-20-2010, 3:18 PM
Holy Necropost, Batman!

Purple K
07-20-2010, 3:26 PM
WOW!!! That's the oldest resurected thread I've seen so far! :eek:

Window_Seat
07-20-2010, 3:29 PM
:eek:GHOST POST FROM THE PAST:eek:

Erik; IBTL

mej16489
07-20-2010, 3:33 PM
4.25 year Necro Post - is that a new record?!?

Exile Machine
07-20-2010, 3:42 PM
I got the same feeling from reading this thread that I get when I accidentally stumble across some pr0n from the 1930's. Looks good until you figure out she's old enough to be your grandmother.

-Mark

RobG
07-20-2010, 3:56 PM
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u155/RobG5538/necropost.jpg

socal-shooter
07-20-2010, 4:06 PM
what makes one a gangbanger in your guys opinion?

a non white in a baseball cap? lol

if the guys were at a range w/a bunch of black and whites in the parking lot

i doubt they were gangbangers.

RomanDad
07-20-2010, 4:34 PM
I have been on the Board of YSA for 25 years. No arrests ever and if you follow our safety rules no one gets a second glance! On any given day we have 5-10 black guns on the range all day!

Congratulations.... You're the Howard Carter of Calguns.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y154/MovieLawyer/king_tutcopy.jpg

pullnshoot25
07-20-2010, 4:36 PM
IT'S ALIVE!

bigcalidave
07-20-2010, 5:23 PM
Yay!

gregorylucas
07-20-2010, 5:29 PM
And.... that's record folks!

-Greg

Nodda Duma
07-20-2010, 5:34 PM
Holy crap this was posted while my cat was still alive! That's old!!

unusedusername
07-20-2010, 5:56 PM

You are now in my sig...

N6ATF
07-20-2010, 7:02 PM

Necronomeowmicon!

bigred1
07-20-2010, 9:00 PM
what about those trigger cranks things that people put on their 10/22's

tenpercentfirearms
07-20-2010, 9:02 PM
And a shopkeep thread at that!

Scott Connors
07-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Necronomeowmicon!

I think the original poster was Herbert West. :D

okdo
07-26-2010, 2:53 PM
Oh Well!!!!!

Doheny
07-26-2010, 2:55 PM
Oh Well!!!!!

That will teach you to try to keep us informed! ;)