PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Pistol Frame Only

bn91205
06-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Well I know that as a civilian, I cannot purchase a new 1911 frame (i.e. STI, Caspian, etc.) unless it is through a FTF PPT transaction. Do LEO's have to abide by the same law or can they purchase a new one from a dealer? I am not an LEO nor do I know any LEO's, just want to see how far this particular law reaches.

Thanks,

Brian

munkeeboi
06-16-2010, 11:36 AM
the frame is the serialized portion of the firearm and since it cannot pass a drop test, it is not on the roster. LEO's are not bound to the roster so I'm guessing that they are able to purchase frames

this is just my rationalization of the facts....But when is CA ever rational about their laws?

bwiese
06-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Well I know that as a civilian, I cannot purchase a new 1911 frame (i.e. STI, Caspian, etc.) unless it is through a FTF PPT transaction. Do LEO's have to abide by the same law or can they purchase a new one from a dealer? I am not an LEO nor do I know any LEO's, just want to see how far this particular law reaches.

A 1911 frame is considered by DOJ to be an 'unsafe handgun' (whether or not it's Rostered by make/model).

LEOs can buy 'unsafe handguns' and build them up into any legal form. They do not need departmental letter to acquire such frames; their LE ID is sufficient for exemption when presented to the FFL.

CHS
06-16-2010, 12:32 PM
LEO's can purchase firearm receivers/frames as handguns in CA, even though they aren't handguns as defined by Federal Law.

bn91205
06-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Thanks guys! Man, they are so lucky. I'm having to buy complete guns, strip them down and rebuild.

Again, thanks for the info.

Brian