PDA

View Full Version : Acquired a SA 1911 Loaded Stainless Slide - What to do?

rexg
06-16-2010, 10:30 AM
HI all,

I was just given by a family member an SA Loaded stainless steel slide so I can start building my own .45 1911. I currently own a glock but was always used to using my dad's 1911 growing up.

my question is, what to do with the slide? should i build it up by buying a donor 1911 and put the slide and other parts on, or should i just purchase a whole new 1911 and spare me the customization?

If that were the case, i would need to sell my current slide to offset my cost in acquiring a new 1911. how much do slides go for? it is a stainless steel springfield armory loaded and i think it is from a .45 cal PX9151LP.

1911whore
06-16-2010, 10:40 AM
Frames CAN be sold in cali through PPT. I have bought a few and sold one or two. Please refrain from passing out incorrect info.

t0kie
06-16-2010, 10:42 AM
Yeah, just like the above poster said, get a whole complete 1911 & sell the slide.
________
BUTTSEX LIVE (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/webcam/anal-sex/)

Black Majik
06-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Sell the slide.

There are a few places you can sell them at:

www.1911forum.com

www.m1911.org

Unless you really know what you're doing building a 1911, or have the time to build one, you'll be better off buying a production 1911 off the shelf.

While 1911 frames can be purchased via PPT, vaseline is usually not included in the deal while you get bent over.

rexg
06-16-2010, 10:56 AM
thanks for pointing me in the right direction. i was planning to take everything to a gunsmith but that would even rack up the cost and i had to dump a lot of money into it to make it really worth the while.

that leaves the question of how much. ive been looking at old postings to see how much they go for and its actually comparing apples to oranges, one sold an SA mil-spec complete slide assembly for 375 and another sold an unbranded one for a little over a hundred bucks. i just want to get the fair value and not screw anyone or look like an idiot for overpricing stuff. :)

oh yeah... i also have the stock barrel and the recoil springs. just not the frame and its internals.

rexg
06-16-2010, 11:00 AM
ive also been keeping a lookout for a frame for PPT and its been difficult to find one lately. :)

Ultimate
06-16-2010, 11:03 AM
buy a 9mm 1911 maybe a loaded and switch slides back and forth between ammo. :D

P.S. I don't own a 1911 but if what i said is possible that is what I would do hahaha.

Black Majik
06-16-2010, 11:05 AM
buy a 9mm 1911 maybe a loaded and switch slides back and forth between ammo. :D

P.S. I don't own a 1911 but if what i said is possible that is what I would do hahaha.

LOL, not quite that easy. :)

MikeGrasso
06-16-2010, 12:58 PM
PM Sent

Mg

MikeGrasso
06-24-2010, 9:56 AM
oh yeah... i also have the stock barrel and the recoil springs. just not the frame and its internals.

Sorry, but without the stock barrel (as you stated above) I'm not interested.

Mg

coop44
06-24-2010, 10:39 AM
you don't need a grand worth of tools, a 1911 can be assembled by a retarded monkey, find one a little beat up. strip it down and start over with new parts. Nothing fancy just standard replacement parts. sell the used stuff to me:)

MikeR
06-24-2010, 4:30 PM
you don't need a grand worth of tools, a 1911 can be assembled by a retarded monkey, find one a little beat up. strip it down and start over with new parts. Nothing fancy just standard replacement parts. sell the used stuff to me:)

^THIS ^ The only thing i purchased was a file set, other than that basic hand tools and a tabletop belt sander that i already owned. The only parts that needed to be modified were the custom parts from Fusion, all the Ed Brown parts fell right in. Even the Bar-Sto barrel went in without any work. :D

Its funny i tried selling my frame for a few months but had very little interest, i finally got a hair up my ... and built it. Everything practically fell together. I still need to blend the beaver tail to the frame, refinish the hammer and barrel bushing along with the parts that need to be filed or sanded. The only thing i screwed up was the thumb safety, i filled just a little to much. A new one is on the way. No biggie. I do need to get is a set of fixed sights, then its off to a smith to have the front strap done, Sights installed and have him do a once over to make sure everything is GTG. I even parked it myself. :D

The park is much darker in person.
http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq234/MRibz/Firearms/ParaSmithFrame.jpg

randy
06-24-2010, 5:19 PM
Does the slide have sites, firing pin, spring, extractor, and firing pin stop?

If so as another poster said buy a SA in 9mm and a 45 ejector and barrel and you have two guns for not alot more money.

There would be some fitting costs but still not a bad way to go.

rexg
06-24-2010, 6:03 PM
yep the slide is complete as it was a direct take off from a donor frame. ive decided to sell it. hopefully someone buys it. it's in the marketplace. :) but if not, then probably ill buy a rock island later and learn from it.

Richie Caketown
06-24-2010, 6:09 PM
i have been looking for a slide :)