PDA

View Full Version : Import gun from Europe

opaf
06-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Not sure if this is the right sub-forum, please excuse if not.

Does anyone have experience with importing guns from Europe? Providing the gun is on the central CA list of approved guns, can a California gun dealer administer such a transfer?

The price of interesting weapons can be very low in Europe due to the low demand (due in turn to restrictive license laws).

Is

gose
06-16-2010, 10:37 AM
In general, FFLs wanting to do imports need to be registered as importers. It's not really complicated, but comes with a ~$2000 yearly fee.
Though, any FFL can do occasional imports without being registered, but costs and fees for export, shipping, etc, usually eat up the difference in price. The time taken for the FFL is also non-trivial, since the gun can't be shipped directly to them.

I've looked into it and found that it's really not worth it.

DVSmith
06-16-2010, 10:45 AM
I imported a rifle from Canada (who knew they weren't part of the US? j/k ), and used:

Simpson Ltd.
140 S. Seminary St.
Galesburg, IL 61401

As I recall, the process went something like this:
1: Payed seller for firearm and shipping
2: Filled out import form for Simpson
3: Had seller ship to Simpson
4: Simpson handled the customs process
5: Simpson assigned a new serial number and stamped it on the firearm
6: Had a local FFL send copy of FFL to Simpson
7: Simpson shipped to my FFL
8: I completed the transfer with my local FFL

I am pretty sure those were the steps, but contact Simpson. They were VERY helpful. By the way, I contacted BATF first to find out what I needed to do to import the rifle and they were VERY NOT helpful.

opaf
06-16-2010, 10:46 AM
Gose, thanks for your reply. I'm originally Swedish and owning a pistol legally in Sweden is very, very difficult (don't get me started here...) this has however resulted in mid-century military 9mm guns going for $10-30 in auctions and 1911's (rare findings) for $200-$300...

I will look for a FFL with import license and check it out. Will keep you posted.

Thanks

opaf
06-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks DVSmith, I'll contact Simpson!

gose
06-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Gose, thanks for your reply. I'm originally Swedish and owning a pistol legally in Sweden is very, very difficult (don't get me started here...) this has however resulted in mid-century military 9mm guns going for $10-30 in auctions and 1911's (rare findings) for $200-$300...
I will look for a FFL with import license and check it out. Will keep you posted.
Thanks

Well, I'm Swedish too, so trust me, I've looked into getting cheap guns out of Sweden ;)

Depending on how much the FFL is charging you, it will most likely cost somewhere around $750-$1000 to get a gun here. So, if its something expensive, it might be worth it, for a $500 gun, not so much.

opaf
06-16-2010, 10:58 AM
Ha, love it :-) ok, I believe you. So darn tempting though. Check out Walther Borg's web site with sold auction prices... $14 for a type 7 9mm...

Go Se, right?

gose
06-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Simpson seems to charge $200 for the import, add another $150-$250 for the customs broker, add another $100 for the Swedish export permit, add another $50-100 for US shipping, another $200-$300 for the international shipping and another $75 for the CA FFL transfer...
So my original guess seems to be pretty close ;)

gose
06-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Ha, love it :-) ok, I believe you. So darn tempting though. Check out Walther Borg's web site with sold auction prices... $14 for a type 7 9mm...

Go Se, right?

Actually no, it's short for something completely different ;)

navyinrwanda
06-16-2010, 2:48 PM
There's an outfit in Southern California called Anglo American Sporting Agency (http://www.angloamericansport.com/) that claims to offer import services (http://www.angloamericansport.com/serv_import.shtml).

bigstick61
06-16-2010, 3:40 PM
Almost did this but backed out in the end (it did get costly) trying to buy a rifle from Australia that was not normally imported into the U.S. Had to fill out a Form 6 (which got approved), find an FFL willing to go through the process (they charged a very modest fee), had to get a customs broker, had to find a store in Australia that carried one that was willing to export (fortunately there are no tariffs, duties, etc. when buying from Australia, so those sorts of costs got cut out), etc. The hardest part by far was trying to find a company that shipped internationally that was willing to ship firearms; most such companies seem to balk at the very idea, which made it hard. I don't remember who I found but it took awhile and a lot of searching and asking and it cost somewhere around $250 or so (not including insurance, which I would have gotten). All in all it would have in this case cost me an extra $450, which would have made a $600 some-odd rifle cost somewhat over $1,000.