PDA

View Full Version : Any info or experiance with these guns?

newHGowner
06-16-2010, 8:17 AM
My grandfather is giving me two handguns. A Llama .380 Automatic pistol, Model III-A, uses 9mm short bullets. And a Hi-Standard Field King FK-101 (3rd Model). These are the first guns I have owned, and they seem to be somewhat rare. If anyone knows anything about these guns, ex. quality, value, etc. Id' love to know. I'm going to pick them up the beginning of July. When I get them I'll post some pics. Thanks.

chuckdc
06-16-2010, 8:28 AM
Need some pics of the Field King, but if I recall correctly, the FK is the next step up from the Sport Kings that I have. The FK should have adjustable sights (which was the difference I remember between it and the SK) The old Hi-Standards like those are some good shooters. I have my 2 Sport Kings and I'm not gonna sell them. When I was in good practice, I could hit an 8" gong at 175 yards with 7-8 shots out of 10 with mine. Not bad for a 4" barrelled .22 pistol. Value is very much dependent on condition on those, which is hard to judge even with pics to some extent, impossible without them. The older HS pistols are slowly gaining value, though. The low-end models are not picking up as fast as the Citations, Olympics, etc. though. Since you state these are your first handguns, the Field King is ideal for a gun to learn to shoot with. .22 ammo isn't terribly expensive, and an FK can be shot a lot for not a lot of money. It typically would have a very nice trigger pull without being too light for a beginner. Take that FK out and shoot and shoot and shoot till you get really good at shooting. Then keep practicing.

The Llama is a very basic defensive/concealable. They work pretty well, but aren't anything super-duper value-wise. It's more usable for saving your hide in case of bad guys or zombies or whatever at close range. .380 is not the top of the heap power-wise, but is sure as heck better than screaming for help.

newHGowner
06-16-2010, 9:40 AM
Cool, he had a friend trying to sell them for him until he heard that I was interested in them. The Llama was going for $425 and the Field King for $899. But I wasn't able to talk to the guy selling them, so I wasn't sure how accurate those prices are or where he got the values from. My grandpa was big on his WWI and WWII history (actually was a medic in WWII) and a avid gun collector, so I have a feeling that they are quality weapons. I saw a video on youtube with a guy saying that Llama pistols are known for their bad quality, but he's had the the Model III-A .380 for over 15 years and has kept it because it's one of the most accurate pistols he has ever shot.

I have a pretty low quality pic of the two guns, as well as a Colt .22 Magnum revolver that he kept. Guess I'll post it now. But I wanted to post better pictures when I pick them up in a week and a half. So... more pics to come

http://i828.photobucket.com/albums/zz201/iangordy/HandGuns.jpg

1911whore
06-16-2010, 9:44 AM
LLama runs 300-350 depending on condition and paperwork. Two recently were on the sale section here. I love the little guns but for no other reason that i think they are cool little pistols.

newHGowner
06-16-2010, 10:23 AM
Sweet, I'm not planning on selling either. They are/were my grandpa's and I intend to keep them and hopefully pass them on to my son, if I have one. Just sort of wondering the value of both. Thanks, good to hear that the Llama is a "cool little pistol".

1911Operator
06-16-2010, 10:27 AM
that 9mm looks just like a 1911. i wouldnt mind having one.

newHGowner
06-16-2010, 10:47 AM
From what I've heard it's a Spanish made 9mm modeled after the 1911.

bjl333
06-16-2010, 10:39 PM
Sweet, I'm not planning on selling either. They are/were my grandpa's and I intend to keep them and hopefully pass them on to my son, if I have one. Just sort of wondering the value of both. Thanks, good to hear that the Llama is a "cool little pistol".

Good to hear your planning to pass them on to your kids. Get some training to enjoy these great guns. This will be a great family sport when you do have kids, I have gotten much closer to my father after he took me to Fish Canyon (RIP) some 30+ yrs ago. And we still go shooting every week ... Have fun and be safe !!!