PDA

View Full Version : Newb Concealed Carry Questions

thebarbarian
06-16-2010, 6:00 AM
I should start by fully disclaiming that I know very little about California gun laws.

I'm a pretty avid mountain biker, and the hills I've been riding on are fairly infested with rattlesnakes. I've come across 3 in my last week of riding.

Growing up in the Northwest I remember shooting something called "snake shot" out of a .22 - and it occurred to me that it would be awfully nice to have a little .22 handgun and some of that snake shot with me when I'm biking and encounter a rattlesnake.

But - in my cursory research - it looks like putting a handgun in my backpack when I ride would be quite illegal in CA. So, I'm wondering if there's anything I'm missing.

A bit of context: I'd like to carry the handgun in a backpack instead of on the outside, for the simple reason that seeing another rider with a handgun strapped to their backpack would probably make my fellow MTB riders uncomfortable.

So, is there any way to legally carry a handgun in this manner? Perhaps (obviously unloaded) in a small locking case? Or should I just forget about it?

Papa "J"
06-16-2010, 6:07 AM
My 1st question would be if your on a mountain bike and you handgun is in the back pack are you going to pull over to shoot it or just ride away. :confused::confused::confused:

Seems like you just looking for a reason to carry, I would probably forget it.

OleCuss
06-16-2010, 6:23 AM
If you are riding on your own property and you've got a rattlesnake you want to pop - you are probably OK to carry concealed like that and pop any snakes you don't like.

But even if you got a concealed carry permit, popping snakes along the trail on something like public property would be a real problem (could easily end up with you in jail. . .).

I'd probably look into whether you can carry a machete on your bike. And no, I have no idea what the law is on carrying a machete. And if there are big sticks along the trails I'd probably just use one of them.

bodger
06-16-2010, 7:02 AM
Does pepper spray work on snakes? Obviously you'd have to nail them with it before they strike, but I wonder if a good strong spray would make them uncoil and retreat.

Ten Rounder
06-16-2010, 7:07 AM
Might need a hunting license for the taking of reptiles, and discharge of a firearm in some counties will be a problem too as already said above

Decoligny
06-16-2010, 7:07 AM
If you are able to stop on the trail and dig out a firearm from inside your pack in time to shoot a rattlesnake that is close enough to you to be an immediate threat (the only reason for shooting it) then the rattlesnake is probably already dead or it would have bitten you already by then.

A snake gun is useful if carried in a manner allowing immediate instant access for use against an immediate threat of snake bite.

If you want to "hunt rattlers" from your bike, get these:

http://www.herpshop.com.au/pictures/hs_snakeStickTwoCrop.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_7LS4WnHcgiw/RYwGmZt05MI/AAAAAAAAAP4/n-zu1lZIfYo/s320/machete.JPG

BKinzey
06-16-2010, 7:31 AM
Unloaded in a locked case is most likely the only way you could carry. So at that point I would second Decoligny's post.

Knauga
06-16-2010, 7:55 AM
Does pepper spray work on snakes? Obviously you'd have to nail them with it before they strike, but I wonder if a good strong spray would make them uncoil and retreat.

Capsaicin only works on mammals.

You need a fishing license to be legal shooting a rattlesnake.

thebarbarian
06-16-2010, 8:06 AM
Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm definitely not planning to kill snakes as I ride past - in fact - I'm generally pretty oblivious to 'em, and the ones I've seen have been right on the trail. They don't move too fast - so I'd definitely have time to get something out of my backpack. They are on public land - so the other obvious issue would be if it's legal to discharge a firearm and kill snakes on public land.

Riding around with a machete strapped to my back doesn't sound too fun - but would probably be effective.

And - you might be right. Maybe I'm just looking for a reason to own and carry a little handgun. :rolleyes:

winnre
06-16-2010, 8:25 AM
If you are on a bike and are worried about a snake, that must be one fast snake or else you need training wheels.

383green
06-16-2010, 9:11 AM
Maybe I'm just looking for a reason to own and carry a little handgun. :rolleyes:

As a reason to own one, "me wantee!" is all that you need. Just buy that little .22 pistol that you know you want, and have fun with it at the nearest pistol range.

Glock22Fan
06-16-2010, 9:20 AM
Capsaicin only works on mammals.

You need a fishing license to be legal shooting a rattlesnake.

Unless the rattlesnake is threatening you and/or your animals and retreat is not feasible.

In fact, I'm not even sure that there is a duty to retreat in these circumstances.

People around here shoot rattlesnakes that get too near to their houses all the time. I had one on my front path, five feet from my front door, hidden behind a potted plant the other day, one on my back lawn a few weeks ago.

jonnyt16
06-16-2010, 4:08 PM
What county do you live in? You might be able to get your CCW. I'm a mountain biker myself and I actually used that as part of my good cause statement to obtain my CCW.

jdg30
06-16-2010, 6:25 PM
Pulling over to try and kill a rattlesnake with a machete is a good way to get bit. A rattlesnake won't be able to get you if you fly by it on your mountain bike, I would just leave it alone, not worth getting bit.

Decoligny
06-17-2010, 9:09 AM
Pulling over to try and kill a rattlesnake with a machete is a good way to get bit. A rattlesnake won't be able to get you if you fly by it on your mountain bike, I would just leave it alone, not worth getting bit.

That's why there is a nice LOOOOONG expandable snake stick shown right above the machete. You use the sanke stick to safely immobilize the snake, and then the machete to seperate the body from the head.