PDA

View Full Version : What's a good cleaning solvent for a blue finish?

map
06-15-2010, 10:55 PM
I heard hoppes's no. 9 will wear out a blue finish. Is this true? If so what is a good cleaning solvent for a blue finish?

Thanks.

Muaythaishooter
06-15-2010, 11:02 PM
I used Hoppes No. 9 for my firearms for 6 years and my blueing looks fine up until now. After that 6 year period I switched to Breakfree CLP.

Black Majik
06-15-2010, 11:15 PM
I can't say I've noticed hoppes #9 solvent to wear bluing. It's primarily what I use.

foxtrotuniformlima
06-15-2010, 11:18 PM
i use WD40. it is a great solvent / cleaner. worthless as a lubricant though.

bjl333
06-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Been using old #9 for a loooooong time, something like 30+ yrs. The only complain is that it smells bad. BreakFree is great also, I don't use the gunscrub version tho !!

Air
06-16-2010, 5:33 AM
I usually use CLP for cleaning my pistols, nothing wrong with Hoppes though. If it was good enough for your Grandpa, it's good enough for you.

map
06-16-2010, 8:20 AM
I usually use CLP for cleaning my pistols, nothing wrong with Hoppes though. If it was good enough for your Grandpa, it's good enough for you.

LOL! Funny thing is my Grandpa used Hoppes to clean his Colt Python (blue finish). So your post hit really close to home and made my day. HAHA. Thanks!

Also thanks to everyone for their feedback.

den888
06-16-2010, 9:29 AM
I have used Hoppes # 9 on blued guns for decades and no issues. I hate the smell, so I have switched to Breakfree CLP several years ago and no issues on blued, polymer, stainless or nickled guns.

Kodemonkey
06-16-2010, 10:47 AM
I Love MPro7. It doesn't smell and does a great job outside the gun. Works good on lead, but not so strong on copper fouling. But I use it on anything - it has NO smell and is not toxic. Won't harm blued finishes, rubber grips, etc. I believe Hoppes bought the formula and the Hoppes Elite is the same exact stuff in the bottle as Mpro 7. Just spray it on, wait a few minutes, spray again and wipe it off. Maybe a little more expensive than the other stuff out there, but it's not crazy expensive.

Ledbetter
06-16-2010, 11:24 AM
I have never heard of Hoppe's damaging bluing. Just the same, it contains a small amount of ammonia and is probably more solvent than is needed on the EXTERIOR surfaces.

Cobrafreak
06-16-2010, 11:35 AM
If the finish is wearing off it is from the rag material it is being wiped with, not the Hoppes. You can scrub a gun in hot soapy water and dry with compressed air and a micro-fiber towel. Been doing it for years. Just re-lubricate it.

Ricky-Ray
06-16-2010, 1:52 PM
I Love MPro7. It doesn't smell and does a great job outside the gun. Works good on lead, but not so strong on copper fouling. But I use it on anything - it has NO smell and is not toxic. Won't harm blued finishes, rubber grips, etc. I believe Hoppes bought the formula and the Hoppes Elite is the same exact stuff in the bottle as Mpro 7. Just spray it on, wait a few minutes, spray again and wipe it off. Maybe a little more expensive than the other stuff out there, but it's not crazy expensive.

X2 with MPro7. I was using Hoppes before and then a gunsmith turned me onto MPro7. Doesn't smell, non toxic and I think it was biodegradable too but don't hold me to the bio part.

The only thing I hate with Hoppes was the smell.

map
06-16-2010, 2:06 PM
Lots of good feedback. Thanks to everyone. I think I'll stick to the Hoppe's No. 9.

testosteroneOD
06-16-2010, 2:16 PM
I've used CLP for about 8 years now on all my firearms...clean and lube..

sniper4usmc
06-16-2010, 2:25 PM
I use CLP for everything

Swift Justice
06-16-2010, 2:33 PM
I received my first gun, a Remington Fieldmaster .22 pump action, at age 12. At the same time I got a Hoppe's brand cleaning kit to clean it with.

Been cleaning that thing with Hoppe's #9 for 34 years now and the bluing has not worn a bit from use of the Hoppe's. Its all that has ever been used to clean it.

BLD
06-16-2010, 9:34 PM
Man, am I the only one here that likes the smell of Hoppe's 9? I use it, WD40, Rem-oil, and/or CLP on all of my guns, and have never hade any issues with any of them removing any kind of finish, blue or otherwise. For me it's the nearly weekly trips to the range that seem to do the most harm to the finish of my firearms. :D

CapnHawk
06-16-2010, 10:15 PM
I love the smell of Hoppe's #9 in the morning...

Been using it on blued firearms for nearly half a century with no problem.