PDA

View Full Version : Altering a registered AR15

vcsardiver
03-31-2006, 7:59 AM
Does anyone know if its legal in this repressive state to put a new (pre ban) upper with bayonet lug and flash supressor onto post ban rifle if that rifle was registered with the DOJ? How about a LMT SOPMOD stock? It would seem that if its already registered as an "assault rifle" then the "evil item" list would not matter.

It's all very confusing.

ligamentum flavum
03-31-2006, 8:27 AM
it's legal.

Prospector
03-31-2006, 8:45 AM
Do what ever you want with a register aw. By law that is...

KrazyKevy
04-01-2006, 1:16 AM
That "assult weapon ban" sunset'd (ie EXPIRED) last year. Which was a federal law, all states had to abide. After the sunset, now all states do not have to abide, including California. There is no such thing as "pre-ban" or "post-ban" anymore. I know some online sites still sell stuff as pre or post, they are either ignorant or too lazy to change that.

anothergunnut
04-01-2006, 9:51 AM
take a look at the DOJ website's announcement regarding the current off-list receiver situation. They specifically say that you can add "features" to class 1 or 2 AWs.

icormba
04-01-2006, 4:36 PM
Do what ever you want with a register aw.

hang on guys!! you can't do whatever you want! You still need to follow Fed Law! 16" barrel and such...

filefish
04-01-2006, 4:40 PM
Do what ever you want with a register aw.

whoopie! I am going to change mine to a full auto with one of those cool 11.5 inch uppers with a silincer I can't wait to run tracers and aromor peircing ammo through it...oooh ...oooh....ooh! 3 round bursts would be cool!

seriously you may want to consider regestering it as a BMG.50 prior to april 15.. or is it the 30th last chance to ever have one...ever

blacklisted
04-01-2006, 4:42 PM
I believe rifles already registered as assault weapons do not need to be re-registered as .50 BMG.

uglygun
04-03-2006, 2:09 AM
Specifically, if it was registered as an "assault weapon" previously before the 50BMG ban went into effect, you cannot re-register it as a 50BMG.

As for adding features to an already registered California "assault weapon", go for it.

My AR10 went from this
http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/ar10/AR10A4lft.jpg
To this when the Fed 94 assault weapon ban sunset
http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/misc/ar10desktop.jpg

Surveyor
04-03-2006, 7:59 AM
Specifically, if it was registered as an "assault weapon" previously before the 50BMG ban went into effect, you cannot re-register it as a 50BMG.

As for adding features to an already registered California "assault weapon", go for it.

My AR10 went from this
http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/ar10/AR10A4lft.jpg
To this when the Fed 94 assault weapon ban sunset
http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/misc/ar10desktop.jpg

Very nice! I like how you upgraded your background too. :D

ohsmily
04-03-2006, 10:03 AM
whoopie! I am going to change mine to a full auto with one of those cool 11.5 inch uppers with a silincer I can't wait to run tracers and aromor peircing ammo through it...oooh ...oooh....ooh! 3 round bursts would be cool!

seriously you may want to consider regestering it as a BMG.50 prior to april 15.. or is it the 30th last chance to ever have one...ever

Whats a silincer? for that matter, what is amoror? must be cool stuff...:rolleyes: (flubbed peircing too, but that one can slide).

and NO, he doesn't have to re-register his registered assault weapon to put a 50BMG upper on it. He can put one on right now. Doesn't need to register.

filefish
04-03-2006, 10:25 AM
NO, he doesn't have to re-register his registered assault weapon to put a 50BMG upper on it. He can put one on right now. Doesn't need to register.

will I be able to put a .50bmg on mine if it gets listed and registered?? where can i get a .50bmg upper??? I want I want I want I want I want I want I want!

bwiese
04-03-2006, 10:45 AM
will I be able to put a .50bmg on mine if it gets listed and registered?? where can i get a .50bmg upper??? I want I want I want I want I want I want I want!

No!

Any off-list lowers that get reg'd as AWs will not be able to have 50BMG attributes.

This really only applies to prior, registered AWs.

[Edited to add: if they were off-list lowers you somehow legally acquired before 1/1/2005 that would be OK.]

[This is not a function of AW law but 50BMG law.]

ohsmily
04-03-2006, 10:55 AM

No, but if you bought your lower before jan 1, 2005 (which I highly doubt) then you can register it as a 50BMG (but the deadline may have passed or coming up REAL soon).