PDA

View Full Version : Looking for clarification on legality of 15 rounds mags in CA.

flatovercrest
06-15-2010, 9:01 PM
I own many 9mm handguns that could use 15 rounds for home defense duty.
If I buy 15 rounds as rebuild kits and use them for my HD guns, am I braking the law?
Just trying to understand the specific of the law with over 10 rounds
mags.
Thanks in advance.

XDRoX
06-15-2010, 9:03 PM
You can only have and use high cap mags if you owned them prior to the ban. To order rebuild kits and assemble them is against the law.

NiteQwill
06-15-2010, 9:05 PM
Assembly is against the law. Possession is not.

Rekrab
06-15-2010, 9:06 PM
It is illegal to manufacture, buy, gift, or make for sale. It is not, however, illegal to find them or own them post ban.

flatovercrest
06-15-2010, 9:08 PM
ok, thanks guys. 10 rounds it is.

oaklander
06-15-2010, 9:12 PM
CA law talks about acquisition, and not possession.

1) You can't import, assemble "new," borrow, or buy any magazine that holds more than 10 rounds in California (with certain exceptions).

2) It is LEGAL to OWN high cap mags and use them in your weapons.

3) It is legal to buy "rebuild kits" and rebuild existing magazines, if you had those mags from before the ban or otherwise legally acquired them.

4) If you rebuild existing magazines, you can't end up with more mags than you started with.

"Finding" a +10 magazine appears to be legal, but I would not rely on it as a legal defense.

The burden is on the prosecution to prove that you did not have the magazine before the ban.

ETA: please do not buy high caps and build new magazines.

I own many 9mm handguns that could use 15 rounds for home defense duty.
If I buy 15 rounds as rebuild kits and use them for my HD guns, am I braking the law?
Just trying to understand the specific of the law with over 10 rounds
mags.
Thanks in advance.

Rekrab
06-15-2010, 9:16 PM
"Finding" a +10 magazine appears to be legal, but I would not rely on it as a legal defense.

The burden is on the prosecution to prove that you did not have the magazine before the ban.

The law makes no mention of finding a high capacity magazine, therefore, the prosecution doesn't need to prove that you owned it before the ban, but that you bought, imported, or manufactured it after the ban. In the extraordinary event that you find a magazine, and you keep it, and you get questioned, you should shut up and lawyer up if arrested.

Sorry, nitpicking, but it's worth mentioning.

Still, nobody should be dumb enough to break the law by buying, manufacturing, or importing high capacity magazines. Ever.

sniper4usmc
06-15-2010, 9:24 PM
how about high cap magazine with LEO/Military only marking on the mag body with Stamped date 1998?

69Mach1
06-15-2010, 9:26 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124709