PDA

View Full Version : Fixed Blade Rescue Knives

NeoWeird
06-15-2010, 8:38 PM
First, moderators, if you feel this is in the wrong forum please move it. I didn't put it up in the 2A Legal forum as it's not firearm related, and I didn't put it in Outdoor Survival because it's more concealed carry related; so please use your judgment and move it if you see fit. I also searched and didn't find anything, but if it's out there please point me in the right direction.

Now onto the topic...

So I've got it in my head to start carrying a handful of useful items everyday in conjunction with the standard handgun/knife. Get into the habbit for the unknown as opposed to what I expect. Things like a flashlight, small OC spray or stun gun, a couple zip ties, maybe even a VERY small IFAK, etc. I figure it wouldn't be too bad of an idea with the type of communiting I do to get something specifically in case of car crashes; a belt cutting, window breaking, prying, etc general tool. Of course 12020(a)(4) comes to mind.

What's the general consensus on concealed carrying these types of knifes? The way I see it, a flat edged pry bar type point is not capable of use as a stabbing weapon, but then again they do have a sharp edge and who knows what type of crazy logic some overly zealous JBT might think in their head. I'm sure flat cut rebar could be a stabbing weapon to someone and I've heard crazier case law that wouldn't make me doubt that for asecond. Still, I'm curious if anyone out there can shed some light on it.

I'm talking specifically of items like the Blackhawk Small Pry, CRKT ABC Emergency Rescue, CRKT MAK 1, Eickhorn RT-III, etc. I know there are folding rescue knifes and other similar items, like those Benchmade rescue hooks, but I'm liking the idea of a rigid hefty fixed blade that I can really abuse in an emergency.

Examples:
http://www.knifeworks.com/images/products/detail/2050K.jpg
http://www.youwantit2.com/EICKRTIII.jpg

hi turtle
06-16-2010, 6:19 AM
It's my understanding that you can not carry a fixed blade concealed. Open..yes. Concealed..no. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Librarian
06-16-2010, 7:02 AM
It's my understanding that you can not carry a fixed blade concealed. Open..yes. Concealed..no. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

That's right.

See also http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=2289918&postcount=6

NeoWeird
06-16-2010, 2:48 PM
Correct. However a "fixed blade" is defined as "a knife or other instrument with or without a handguard that is capable of ready use as a stabbing weapon that may inflict great bodily injury or death." Even a folding knife can fall into this category if it's blade is locked open.

On the other hand, rescue/firefighter/water knifes are specifically designed so that they can NOT be used as a stabbing weapon to avoid injury to anyone they may be trying to cut out of a vehicle, to avoid damage to underwater or rafting gear, etc.

Not trying to argue, but it seems to me that they would be ok so long as they were not modified, say by sharpening the pry to a knife edge or relieving one side to make it a tanto or reverse tanto type point.

I was actually hoping Librarian would jump in as they have great insight into case law and statutes.

packnrat
06-20-2010, 1:59 PM
as i understand it. any tool that can be used to help your self or can be a truly useful item is not legal in Ca.

as a truck driver we can have only in a very tiny profile a tool for thumping a tire to check for psi. not on your person when NOT on duty it is a club.
and if you drive a flat bed you use a binder bar...but you can not have it with you when NOT on duty as a driver. then it is a club.
you like base ball? do not have a bat in your car/truck...endless you also have a baseball glove and "other equipment" for the game. or it is a club.
for my job i ware stickey gloves and at times i need a knife, a pocket knife i must take the glove off, a fixed blade just hangs off the belt, but my coat covers it = NOT legal hidden blade. (yes i work in the open).