PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 ramline mag rebuild kit?

VW*Mike
06-15-2010, 6:37 PM
Well, after many years of service, my 30 round plastic ramline mags for my 10/22 are done. They will not feed and keep jamming. Since they appear to be glued together and essentially "one piece" I do not think they can be rebuilt. Legally, I should be able to rebuild the ones I have if it were like my AR mags, but being no separate parts are available, I would have to replace the entire mag, but that is illegal!!! Am I screwed for the time being? Or is there a way I can attain parts or something????

jtv3062
06-15-2010, 7:22 PM
Hey I have 2 myself that are also damaged, so I'm going to tag along on this thread.

cdtx2001
06-15-2010, 7:31 PM
I've heard of a few people taking their old/damaged/worn out mags to gun shows in other states where magically they were repaired/warrantied/replaced.

ojisan
06-15-2010, 7:47 PM
I've seen some major reworks of various aftermarket 10/22 magazines over at RFC including transplanting Butler Creek steel or original Ruger mag feed lips.
There's a guy there who put a modified 10/22 original mag on top of a Pro-Mag drum to make the drum work.
Sometimes jams are related to the follower binding.
I try to rinse out the crud that eventually builds up in the magazine using a gentle solvent like WD40.
Spray inside, work the follower up and down with a long thin screwdriver to help break up the crud, hold mag upside down so it can drain, spray more inside until it runs out to rinse, let dry.
I'd like to use a stronger cleaner but I would sure would not want to see a precious 30 rounder dissolve before my eyes.

bigcalidave
06-15-2010, 9:53 PM
I'm pretty sure there are some compatible parts with the Tac Sol plastic mags, which are cheap and available as rebuilds.

Richie Caketown
06-16-2010, 1:46 AM
im in the same boat ... im waiting for a good answer

Scratch705
06-16-2010, 2:39 AM
get the tacsol rebuilds. i remember a vendor here selling them on this site.

and i thought the laws on the Hi-cap was that you can repair/replace (the entire magazine) and as long as you don't end up with more than what you had, it is legal?

BKinzey
06-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Yes, basically as long as you don't end up with more assembled mags than you started with you are good.

CHS
06-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Take the mag and smash it with a hammer, saving the follower.

Rebuild the follower into one of the available magazines out there.

If at some point you wish to throw away that original follower, do so and replace it with the new follower.

Legal. Easy.

VW*Mike
06-16-2010, 8:53 PM
got it.... so the official, legal answer is I can buy one thats complete, to replace the one that is broken/non functional. My questioning was since they do not come apart, they can not be shipped or viewed as "rebuilds" in the eyes of people that can ruin my life, but as long as its one for one, then I am ok?

I tried cleaning it today with WD40, now the follower is just jammed inside. Time for a rebuild of 100% of the components it seems. It lasted quite a while, longer then I thought a cheap plastic mag would last. thousands of dirty .22 rounds!!!!

I hope we don't have to deal with this much longer................... time to make a donation!

383green
06-16-2010, 9:10 PM
got it.... so the official, legal answer is I can buy one thats complete, to replace the one that is broken/non functional.

Please re-read the posting above yours, by bdsmchs. That is not what he wrote.

curtisfong
06-16-2010, 9:13 PM
got it.... so the official, legal answer is I can buy one thats complete, to replace the one that is broken/non functional.

Do not, under any circumstances, assume this is true.

VW*Mike
06-16-2010, 9:32 PM
Please re-read the posting above yours, by bdsmchs. That is not what he wrote.

Yeah, I can smash the old one for its parts, thats not a problem. Problem is, a new one won't come apart without a hammer and still be able to put the new pieces back together. The parts in my existing one, will not work with another mag even if they come apart. I get what he is saying about the follower, then replace it, Anyone know of any 10/22 rebuild kit mags?

Seriously,
F(&^ this, F&*%! California, the horse it road in on, the horses mother AND father, they hay they eat. I will keep it sitting and use the others and my 10 rounders still. When the others give up the ghost I hope I won't have to worry about this here, or I will have moved out of state. I just donated the price of two ****ty ramlines to CGF.....

VW*Mike
06-16-2010, 9:34 PM
Do not, under any circumstances, assume this is true.

yeah, I know, I was waiting for a few of the professional lawyers to weigh in and not the hobby ones (no offense, but its not like getting advice on how to adjust your valves)

Scratch705
06-16-2010, 9:37 PM
why replace it with the ramlines again, as mentioned the tactical solutions 10/22 magazine comes apart and is sold on this site by a vendor as rebuild kits.(search the commercial section for the thread)

unless you are just partial to ramline, then i'm not sure what the choice can be to replace....?

383green
06-16-2010, 9:39 PM
I just donated the price of two ****ty ramlines to CGF.....

Money well-spent! :thumbsup:

hnoppenberger
06-16-2010, 9:45 PM
As said above, this is self explanatory.
Replace the entire mag with new parts, destroy the old components.

Eat Dirt
06-16-2010, 9:51 PM
Sometimes jams are related to the follower binding.
I try to rinse out the crud that eventually builds up in the magazine using a gentle solvent like WD40.
Spray inside, work the follower up and down with a long thin screwdriver to help break up the crud, hold mag upside down so it can drain, spray more inside until it runs out to rinse, let dry.
I'd like to use a stronger cleaner but I would sure would not want to see a precious 30 rounder dissolve before my eyes.

I've got to try that

I have two Old 30 rounders( ramline ) sitting around that I quit useing because they were jamming up so much

Aleksandr Mravinsky
06-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Wait, I'm confused. Aren't non-centerfire rifles exempt from the assault weapons ban? Or is that only for the "evil" features and you still can't buy new 10+ round magazines?

383green
06-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Wait, I'm confused. Aren't non-centerfire rifles exempt from the assault weapons ban? Or is that only for the "evil" features and you still can't buy new 10+ round magazines?

This thread doesn't have anything to do with the assault weapons ban. Magazines holding more than 10 rounds are banned separately.

CHS
06-17-2010, 12:49 AM
got it.... so the official, legal answer is I can buy one thats complete, to replace the one that is broken/non functional. My questioning was since they do not come apart, they can not be shipped or viewed as "rebuilds" in the eyes of people that can ruin my life, but as long as its one for one, then I am ok?

The parts in my existing one, will not work with another mag even if they come apart. I get what he is saying about the follower, then replace it, Anyone know of any 10/22 rebuild kit mags?

Seriously,
F(&^ this, F&*%! California, the horse it road in on, the horses mother AND father, they hay they eat. I will keep it sitting and use the others and my 10 rounders still. When the others give up the ghost I hope I won't have to worry about this here, or I will have moved out of state. I just donated the price of two ****ty ramlines to CGF.....

yeah, I know, I was waiting for a few of the professional lawyers to weigh in and not the hobby ones (no offense, but its not like getting advice on how to adjust your valves)

Ok, slow down and relax... Breathe.

Now, I realize that my post wasn't totally clear.

What you will want to do, in this order:

1.) Buy a 10/22 large-capacity magazine rebuild kit. This will be a box/bag of parts that includes all parts of a newly-manufactured 10/22 large-capacity magazine, but not assembled, since it is unlawful for you to obtain new large-capacity magazines. This magazine rebuild kit WILL NOT be a butler creek or ramline or other magazine that is glued/welded together.

2.) Take a hammer and smash your old magazine, taking care not to damage the follower.

3.) Take the follower, and assemble the rebuild kit around it. It should be compatible.

4.) Now you have lawfully rebuilt your old malfunctioning large-capacity magazine. Go out and enjoy it.

5.) If your old follower isn't working 100% flawlessly, feel free to replace it with the new one that was included in the magazine rebuild kit.

By the way, thank you for donating to the CGF. They need every dollar they can get. If you're feeling particularly generous, please don't forget the NRA and the CRPA.

VW*Mike
06-17-2010, 8:07 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help.

I plan on doing what the growing trend seems to be and add CGF to my monthly accounts.

I have been an NRA member for a few years, I know they are a strong lobby, I don't always agree with their tactics, but, they are the major player on the national field.

CRPA, I haven't donated there, I will do so.

Gun laws in California, while not the biggest issue we have, are important to all as if they go untested, whats next? If we can undo most of them, it will make the stay here, tollerable.

DougJ
06-17-2010, 8:17 AM
Ok, slow down and relax... Breathe.

Now, I realize that my post wasn't totally clear.

What you will want to do, in this order:

1.) Buy a 10/22 large-capacity magazine rebuild kit. This will be a box/bag of parts that includes all parts of a newly-manufactured 10/22 large-capacity magazine, but not assembled, since it is unlawful for you to obtain new large-capacity magazines. This magazine rebuilt kit WILL NOT be a butler creek or ramline or other magazine that is glued/welded together.

2.) Take a hammer and smash your old magazine, taking care not to damage the follower.

3.) Take the follower, and assemble the rebuild kit around it. It should be compatible.

4.) Now you have lawfully rebuilt your old malfunctioning large-capacity magazine. Go out and enjoy it.

5.) If your old follower isn't working 100% flawlessly, feel free to replace it with the new one that was included in the magazine rebuild kit.

By the way, thank you for donating to the CGF. They need every dollar they can get. If you're feeling particularly generous, please don't forget the NRA and the CRPA.

All around excellent post!

I have a few of those plastic Ram-Line mags for my old 10-22 that are nearly as old as the rifle, which I got back in 1980 or so! I have taped, plastic welded, safety wired and generally tried almost anything over the years to keep them working. I've never really thought about rebuilding them like my AR mags, I didn't know there was anything compatible out there. Great info.

So would the Tactical Solutions rebuild kits be the best choice here?

CHS
06-17-2010, 8:25 AM
I have a few of those plastic Ram-Line mags for my old 10-22 that are nearly as old as the rifle, which I got back in 1980 or so! I have taped, plastic welded, safety wired and generally tried almost anything over the years to keep them working. I've never really thought about rebuilding them like my AR mags, I didn't know there was anything compatible out there. Great info.

I always bought the Butler Creek Steel Lips magazines. They have been FLAWLESS over the years. Sadly, I'm sure one of these days they will crap out.

So would the Tactical Solutions rebuild kits be the best choice here?

I'm not sure. There's at least 3 different new aftermarket 10/22 magazines that are easily disassembled and are therefore good candidates for rebuild kits. I'm sure they're all better than the old Ramline's, Eagles, and Butler Creek "hot lips" plastic mags.

I really, really, really love the Butler Creek Steel Lips. They were just always so hard to find. I would walk into a gun show ready to by 3 of the suckers at a time, and only ever find 1. That's why I also have some of the "hot lips" plastic ones :(