PDA

View Full Version : What is the funniest thing you have seen at a local range....

Pages : [1] 2

1911jerry
03-30-2006, 10:32 PM
What is the funniest thing you have ever seen or heard at a local indoor or outdoor range....

For me, I was shooting at a well known range near my house in Fremont and was in Bay #1. I had just put out a nice #5 target way at the back of the range, about 25 yards and applied a new Shoot N-C 8 inch paster right in the middle. I was loading and making ready when Blam. Some clown from bay #6 shot my target. We were the only 2 guys in the bays. I yelled at him....

" Good shot... you got the 10X ring"

He packed up and left.

It took me a few minutes to stop laughing and I often wonder what the guy was thinking. He only left one brass .45 ACP case behind. I quickly scammed it and dropped into my brass bag.

Lets hear from you all....

Shoot'n straight from the hip

Jerry Snyder

moulton
03-30-2006, 10:37 PM
shooting my .22 semiauto rifle at the range, 2 deer, 1 buck and 1 doe walked casualy between the 100 and 200 yard targets while we were firing. They didnt even flinch :confused: . We called a cease fire, someone ran down and scared 'em off and we started shooting again, They came back:D . My friend complained because the week before he went deer hunting and didnt see a thing, had to goto the range to see the deer:D

PanzerAce
03-30-2006, 10:39 PM
shooting a Glock 22 at my local range, fired the last round in the mag, slide locks back, and the brass hits me right in the middle of the forehead, after bouncing off both the pully motor and the deviding wall :P

Another time, my friend was shooting a Kimber .45 the next lane over, and the brass kept hitting me in the head.

m1371
03-30-2006, 10:45 PM
Let's see......

There was the genius I was shooting next to once, while doing a firearms permit qual course.

Rangemaster was going through the usual commands, load, make ready, check chambers, holster, blah blah blah......

When the instructions to "perform a chamber check" were given, out of the corner of my eye I observe the genius next to me raise his handgun up to his face and peer down the barrel to confirm there was a round in the chamber. :eek:

Needless to say, I requested to be moved to another target far far far away from his.

Or the time I melted an m249 barrel. :D

Couldn't quite figure out why my rounds kept hitting below the targets, even with the extreme amounts of elevation I was putting on the gun. :confused:

EBWhite
03-30-2006, 10:58 PM
I was at the LA range one time and there were these 2 guys (mexican gang bangers). They must have just picked up with mosin nagant from big 5 lol...A dear walks onto the range and the range master called seize fire...As the range master started to walk over to get the deer to go away one of the guys picks up the mosin nagant and takes a shot (200yds) at the deer. Barely missed it, he said "damn dawg i missed dat ****"...The range master kicked them out and called the cops...It was funny, i mean the deer was asking for it but it was not very smart when someone is down range.

chickenfried
03-30-2006, 11:03 PM
Watching amendment II at the range, trying to get a shot in the black.

bear308
03-31-2006, 12:03 AM
Recently the best one would have to be :

Angeles Shooting Ranges
Barret Single Shot 99 .50BMG Rifle.

I'm minding my own business slowly banging away at the 500 and 600 yard plates with my PPS in .308 and all the sudden I realize this HUGE rifle case on the gear bench next to mine. The owner (who I will have to try to refrain from calling names) started telling his friends about what it is and giving them the whole BMG attitude;). While I'm shooting I intermittenly catch parts of their conversation.

"oh it has a really nice trigger, just got it back from Barret"
"yeah that first red plate is seven hundred yards"

things like that, so he sits down and starts shooting, fires a round or two at the "seven hundred yard" plate (really 400), not even close to hitting. Now it's time for his friends to shoot. Now I didn't catch any training leading up to it but the fourth or fitfth guy to shoot walks up and while standing to the left of the rifle drops his round into the loading port. He pushes the bolt home and closes the handle, then turns back to the owner with a questioning expression (not one hand on the rifle) and says "hey is this ready to" ..........

.... and the gun goes off. The brake worked pretty good, didn't get blown near as far off the table as I thought but it definitely got blown off the table. Thank god it was a single shot because as it fell it started pointing towards me. Lucking the one closest to the gun was ok, the gun looked servicable and aparently the scope was ok. The owner is pretty pissed(understandably) and starts telling (kinda scolding) him that you can't put the bolt farward without the safety on. About this time I'm stifling the biggest laugh attack I've ever had and the owner just keeps spewing bad/dangerous info to everyone around him. He kept shooting that rifle and I kept a close eye on their group, just a couple more rounds and I watched the thing go off when he clicked it off safe. After that they packed it up.

I'm sure a few people will say it's mean to laugh at him but oh well, I think it's freakin hilarious.

Maybe we should start a thread called tales of the range officer.:rolleyes:

grammaton76
03-31-2006, 12:09 AM
Story I'd posted on another thread about shooting over at San Gabriel last year or so...

There were a couple of Japanese guys a few lanes over who didn't understand English very well - I could understand most of what they were saying, but they apparently didn't understand the range commands that well. When they called the range hot, those two guys apparently misunderstood - they walked out as it was called hot and people started shooting. People yelling at them in English weren't getting any attention.

But, they DID run like HELL when I started yelling at them in Japanese! The one guy who heard me turned around, finally understood what was going on, and dragged his friend backwards by the collar about 20' to the bench. Then the semi-crusty RSO ambled over to have a talk with them, and I think it's probably best for the Japanese folks that they probably only understood every fourth word or so.

The RSO pointed out the Desert Eagle on my bench and pointed out that it would've been a perfect excuse to see what those 50AE rounds would do to human beings... brought up something about having served on the Pacific front in WW2.

The whole thing was on video, but unfortunately the camera wasn't pointing in the right direction when the guys went walking out on the range. But you could plainly hear everyone yelling at them, and the RSO commentary afterwards was priceless!

avidone
03-31-2006, 12:19 AM
I was shooting at an indoor range and an LEO next to me was shooting his Glock 21 rapid fire. He went through 500 rounds this way emptying magazine after magazine. His ejected cases traveled in a perfect arc over the lane divider and showered my buddy and I. We would have normally moved, but were laughing so hard we just hung out in that lane and practiced shooting "under duress". That day we had both brought all of our .22 cal pistols so it was bang......bang (us)......BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG BANGBANG (him)........bang....bang(us)..... again and again.:)

I was thinking to myself "Wow, this guy has money to burn on ammo".:rolleyes:
It was even more funny because we bought this big milk carton full of .22 ammo at Big 5 on sale for $9.95. We should have been the ones rapid firing.:)

Justang
03-31-2006, 12:25 AM
I took a couple friends shooting for the first time. It was mainly men shooting at the range, with the ocassional wife along for the shoot, when the beautiful asian girl walks in behind her date. They were kinda dressed up a bit, the dude was wearing dress shoes and the girl was wearing high heels and very tight pants, so you could tell it was a date. The guy ends up having a Sig of some sort. They get themselves settled in and start shooting. Some of us were watching to see how things were going. Guy shoots first, then the girl. Every time she shot the clenched her butt. Half the range was looking at this girls butt watching it clench with every shot. It was marvelous butt I might add. Needless to say it was enjoyable. Then the guy decides he has to go to the restroom (I'm assuming that's where he went) while she was shooting. So, butt clenching and all I continue to watch... then the gun jams. The smart thing to do would to just put the gun down and wait for the guy to come back... nope, she just keeps pulling the trigger, looking at it sideways, wondering what's not happening. She then starts pointing it toward the rest of us... So I ran over and cleared the jam(FTF, appeared to be a light strike), handed the gun back to her and told her to keep it pointed down range no matter what. She smiled, said thanks, and was back to butt clenching.

Henry47
03-31-2006, 12:38 AM
I took a couple friends shooting for the first time. It was mainly men shooting at the range, with the ocassional wife along for the shoot, when the beautiful asian girl walks in behind her date. They were kinda dressed up a bit, the dude was wearing dress shoes and the girl was wearing high heels and very tight pants, so you could tell it was a date. The guy ends up having a Sig of some sort. They get themselves settled in and start shooting. Some of us were watching to see how things were going. Guy shoots first, then the girl. Every time she shot the clenched her butt. Half the range was looking at this girls butt watching it clench with every shot. It was marvelous butt I might add. Needless to say it was enjoyable. Then the guy decides he has to go to the restroom (I'm assuming that's where he went) while she was shooting. So, butt clenching and all I continue to watch... then the gun jams. The smart thing to do would to just put the gun down and wait for the guy to come back... nope, she just keeps pulling the trigger, looking at it sideways, wondering what's not happening. She then starts pointing it toward the rest of us... So I ran over and cleared the jam(FTF, appeared to be a light strike), handed the gun back to her and told her to keep it pointed down range no matter what. She smiled, said thanks, and was back to butt clenching.

....and I'm assuming the pics are at the photo place getting developed? ;)

chickenfried
03-31-2006, 12:40 AM
Thank God I thought I was the only one that did that. Now I don't feel like such a weirdo.
Every time she shot the clenched her butt.

1911jerry
03-31-2006, 1:08 AM
I would have been thinking, Ka Ching!!!! everytime a round came over the partition. I collect brass from the range and love it when I get showered.... penny here, nickle there....Thank you !!!

JS

I was shooting at an indoor range and an LEO next to me was shooting his Glock 21 rapid fire. He went through 500 rounds this way emptying magazine after magazine. His ejected cases traveled in a perfect arc over the lane divider and showered my buddy and I. We would have normally moved, but were laughing so hard we just hung out in that lane and practiced shooting "under duress". That day we had both brought all of our .22 cal pistols so it was bang......bang (us)......BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG BANGBANG (him)........bang....bang(us)..... again and again.:)

I was thinking to myself "Wow, this guy has money to burn on ammo".:rolleyes:
It was even more funny because we bought this big milk carton full of .22 ammo at Big 5 on sale for $9.95. We should have been the ones rapid firing.:)

phobos512
03-31-2006, 8:34 AM
Well let's see here...This last weekend my girlfriend Joanna, her son and I went to the range to pop off some 9mm for the first time and shoot the .22. So I'm shooting the 9mm about 2 lanes over from where Joe (her son) is sitting coloring while he waits to shoot the rifle. My girlfriend is sitting there too. So I'm shooting my first mag and she yells at me "Hey, watch it!" She was getting hit by the ejecting cases while she was loading the .22 mags for me. So she moves back a bit and I keep shooting. Joe stays put (actually he moves up a bit). All of a sudden I hear this "Ow!" I look over and he's rubbing his forehead and goes "Why'd you shoot at me!?" (he's 9, didn't understand it was the case, but he learned). Anyway we put 150 rds through the pistol and I keep hearing this "Ow!" every few rounds. Turns out the canopy over the firing line (outdoor range) was right over where I was shooting, and as the the cases were ejecting they were popping up, hitting the canopy supporting, bouncing off, and hitting him right in the head. It was pretty funny.

petey
03-31-2006, 9:58 AM
At an indoor range, a guy brought his girlfriend in so she could shoot his 9mm. He fired off a mag, reloaded and handed it to her. She fired once, and dropped the gun. It fell forward, into the range. They called over the rangemaster, who called a cease fire, and they retrieved the pistol. She takes another shot, and drops it again. When they got it back, the guy unloaded the pistol, and they left.

I've seen deer at a sporting clays range.
Near Angels Camp, I had a cow walk up to me while I was shooting a .357

I once saw a muzzleloader launch his ramrod.

A couple of times I've had guys ask me why they couldn't load their SKS's. 7.62 Nato just wouldn't go in for some reason...

A guy was shooting his .44 Redhawk and missing everything. He saw me shooting my .357 and asked me if he thought there could be a problem with his sights. I made sure his .44 was unloaded, and I checked to see if his sights were loose or obviously out of alignment. There were no problems, so I asked if I could shoot it. I took a couple of rounds, but only loaded one. BANG, and the tin can fell over. I told him the sights were fine, set the gun down, and asked him to try again. He drops the hammer on the empty cylinder and the barrel moved about 1". I suggested that he might want to work on his flinch.

And of course I have to put up with the old guys telling me that my AR-15 is good for nothing but killing people, and the young guys telling me that my milsurps are going to blow up.

m1371
03-31-2006, 10:09 AM
And of course I have to put up with the old guys telling me that my AR-15 is good for nothing but killing people

Next time someone tells you that, let them know your ar-15 is a multifunctional tool.

You can open a bottle of beer with the ejection port.

Trust me on that one. :D

Tyler
03-31-2006, 10:34 AM
Once while doing my routine m-16 qualification I accidentally flipped the selector too hard and fired off my first shot in burst, that pisses off the range officials.

While training with the M203 grenade launcher, using the chalk rounds, I over shot the range and some how managed to hit the top of a parked bus. My training sergeant was laughing hysterically and said that they are not even supposed to have that kind of range. The round might have had too much powder or something, but it was awesome none the less.

We use to have problems with deer walking onto the range while a line of a dozen or so M60s and 249s where all firing at tanks. Freaking crazy deer.

Pulsar
03-31-2006, 10:38 AM
Was at the range about a year ago with a friend and his son. We were all at the 100yd line shooting M1A's. Me and my friend were in the process of reloading, but my friends son took a shot and pulled off a randy johnson. He hit a bird that flew into the path of the bullet, and it was a perfect hit. Bird just dissapeared in a cloud of feathers. After laughing for a couple minutes we closed the range (we were the only ones out there, and my friend is the rangemaster) to go look for the body, but it was nowhere to be found, just lots of feathers.

petey
03-31-2006, 10:53 AM
The ultimate range story belongs to a friend of mine. He was in the army, stationed in Germany. They were using practice TOW missiles (no warhead) at night. They army used special targets so the night vision and thermal sensors could detect/see the target. He was having trouble finding the target, but finally got a heat signature. He fired and hit the target. The rangemaster radioed that the target was not even up yet due to technical issues. They went out to find out what he had hit, and found part of a deer!

DParker
03-31-2006, 11:20 AM
Two memories come to mind.

First was when I lived in Pasadena and was shooting at the Eaton Canyon Police Range (~30 year ago...is it still there?) and I'd say probably most all the lanes were full. Suddenly a stupid bird flittered down between the 25 and 50 yard lines and the entire range erupted into rapid fire mayhem. The range officers were yelling to cease fire over the loudspeakers but apparently nobody heard or paid attention until there was nothing but feathers floating to the ground. Poor bird never knew what hit him.

Second was at the Fresno Police range at 99 and the river about 20 years ago. Was there with a buddy who was Border Patrol (I'm not LEO) trying out my new pistol grip 12 gauge shotgun and we were asked to step aside so a Fresno PD detective could qualify. We stepped back and watched this overweight guy do okay with his primary, but then had to shoot his bug. He could barely get it off his ankle without rolling over sideways...it was quite a sight... Then, he couldn't get it to fire. He finally figured out that his safety was on, but he was so rattled that instead of flicking his safety off, he ejected the magazine by mistake. Problem was, he didn't know what he had done. He kept trying to make it shoot, eventually racking the slide which of course spit out his only round. I remember the range master just stood there shaking his head and eventually picked up his magazine off the ground and handed it to him without a word. I must admit it didn't inspire great confidence in our minds.

bu-bye
03-31-2006, 11:51 AM
I was in a plate match at an indoor range. The match was taking up 1/3 of the range and the other 2/3 was for public use. So me and a handfull of other guys and gals are watching the match, waiting for our turn, and chit-chatting away talking guns. Right then this drag queen walks in with a dress on. Everyone stops and has a WTF look on there face. Nobody wanted to stare and we tried not to but it was just such an odd place to see a drag queen that we could not look away. In fact, I think our member Caliar15 was there too that day. Ever since, I have seen the drag queen a few times. Gun loves come it all shapes and sizes I guess :confused:

M1A Rifleman
03-31-2006, 12:55 PM
Two smart talking wise #@$'ed guys getting their heads torn off by the RO for touching stuff on the bench during a cease fire.

The other one that was NOT so funny at the time was seeing the RO in the glass booth at the Sacto Range sleeping! The old guy totally knocked off infront of his mike. Minutes later he called range clear when some guy was still wondering around the 100 yrd line OOPS:eek:

cseabass
03-31-2006, 1:29 PM
What is the funniest thing you have ever seen or heard at a local indoor or outdoor range....

For me, I was shooting at a well known range near my house in Fremont and was in Bay #1. I had just put out a nice #5 target way at the back of the range, about 25 yards and applied a new Shoot N-C 8 inch paster right in the middle. I was loading and making ready when Blam. Some clown from bay #6 shot my target. We were the only 2 guys in the bays. I yelled at him....

" Good shot... you got the 10X ring"

He packed up and left.

It took me a few minutes to stop laughing and I often wonder what the guy was thinking. He only left one brass .45 ACP case behind. I quickly scammed it and dropped into my brass bag.

Lets hear from you all....

Shoot'n straight from the hip

Jerry Snyder

ya know i think i know what range your talkin about... and oddly enough, ive had the same thing happen with me... cept i packed up and left... spent most of my 9mm and with ppl doing stupid **** like that, ill pass. i packed up and went to my buddies property and blew through another 800 rnds... in about 2-3 hrs.

shopkeep
03-31-2006, 4:18 PM
I guess mine's not as humorous or memorable as some of the stories I'm hearing. A couple years back at the YSA one of the parachuters was a bit off course. And for those of you who don't go to YSA there is a parachute business right next door where folks parachute into a vacant space right next to the 100 yard rifle range.

Well one time when the range was very crowded, one of the parachuters went off course and landed on the 100 yard range. We all saw him comming and he was never in any danger, but you should have seen the look in his face. I could swear he left a puddle behind heh!

ocabj
03-31-2006, 5:34 PM
While I didn't see this event in person, a friend told me this story while I was setting up my chronograph one day:

A guy came to our club's range to shoot and pulled out a chronograph. He was setting up during the cease fire and everyone had already tended to their targets and the whole line was waiting on him. He was fiddling with it and taking a lot of time to get it lined up perfectly. He finally got it set and came back to the line and the rangemaster called an all clear and firing resumed. The man took one shot and hit the chronograph unit straight on and blew it apart. Pieces flew all over the place. When the next ceasefire was called, the guy picked up the pieces of the chronograph, threw them away, packed up and left.

caliar15
03-31-2006, 6:04 PM
I was in a plate match at an indoor range. The match was taking up 1/3 of the range and the other 2/3 was for public use. So me and a handfull of other guys and gals are watching the match, waiting for our turn, and chit-chatting away talking guns. Right then this drag queen walks in with a dress on. Everyone stops and has a WTF look on there face. Nobody wanted to stare and we tried not to but it was just such an odd place to see a drag queen that we could not look away. In fact, I think our member Caliar15 was there too that day. Ever since, I have seen the drag queen a few times. Gun loves come it all shapes and sizes I guess :confused:
HAHA! I do remember that. The funny thing was Joe thought it would be cool to tell her (him, it?)I was shooting on a national level and could give some pointers:eek:. Ward still bugs me about that. As for a funny range story, my bro in law and I were in Oregon shooting with my mini 14 and he was shooting a 1911 when a shell from the mini whent straight down his back:D , well he starts jumping around trying to get the shell out of his shirt all the while swinging the gun around:eek: I hit the ground screaming at him to point it down range!

bu-bye
03-31-2006, 6:58 PM
HAHA! I do remember that. The funny thing was Joe thought it would be cool to tell her (him, it?)I was shooting on a national level and could give some pointers:eek:. Ward still bugs me about that.

HAHAHAHAHA I never heard that story. Thats to funny

rebelmark1
03-31-2006, 9:56 PM
The funniest thing by far that ever happened to me; we were at the pistol range, and every station was full. I had some british guy next to me, and everytime I shot, my brass would hit him. You had to be there, but his response was classic (in heavy british accent) "Your shells are hitting me in thee head!!"

Turbinator
03-31-2006, 10:27 PM
Well, I figure I've told this story enough to people who know me, so I might as well repeat it here on Calguns for all to enjoy.

I was at TM maybe about 10 years ago for an afternoon of blasting with a couple friends. We wrap up our session and go out to pay at the register, when I notice that it is fairly crowded outside, and there seems to be some kind of commotion going on. I get in line to pay and look around.

First, I see a young African American male standing by the door with the store staff talking to him. I hear him say, "But I thought you said it was ok to shoot shotguns here." And I hear the store staff say, "Yes, but next time you should bring it in, action open, in a case." Second, I glance over at the store staff behind the counter, and I see them checking out a short 14" 12 gauge shotgun, pistol gripped. The same kind you see mounted on the side of motorcycle cops rides.

This all looks very interesting, so I turn to the guy next to me, and ask what happened. He explains that apparently, this guy came into the store and asked if he could shoot shotguns at the range. You can, so the staff told him that he could. Before any more words were exchanged, the young man suddenly pulled the shotgun out from his sweatpants, right then and there! I can only guess that the staff drew down on him and commanded him to drop the gun, which he did.

Moments later, the cops arrive, and I continue watching the spectacle. They begin searching the guy, and I see them emptying out his backpack. A couple boxes of 12 gauge shells come out. They ask this guy some questions - "Where's your car?" to which he replies, "I don't have one." So then they ask him, "How'd you get here?" And he tells them that he rode his bike!! Wow, rode his bike with that shotgun stuffed down his pants? Amazing, I'm thinking.

Well, he's not carrying anything else, so I see them handcuffing him and taking him away. It's a mere 1 minute walk to the police station from TM, as you know. It's when they escort the guy out that the other patron I was talking to turns to me and says, "He should have just gone to the hills - that's where I go to shoot my machine guns!" DOH! :eek:

Turby

icormba
03-31-2006, 10:38 PM
"He should have just gone to the hills - that's where I go to shoot my machine guns!" DOH! :eek:

Turby

I wasn't laughing until I got to this part!! now that's FUNNY!!! :D

LOW2000
03-31-2006, 11:04 PM
The desert holds many secrets.

Last time I was out there camping, shooting and offroading, I ran across a guy WAAAAAY back in the hills in a black ford lightning with none other than Ma Duece set up on a tripod blasting a hole into the side of the mountain from maybe 50 yards. Later that night as I was sitting around the campfire, I watched a string of tracer fire heading off into the desert sky.

For range stories, I took a female friend of mine to the (now closed) JG range in Long Beach to teach her how to shoot and while I was there, I rented a .44mag. She was standing behind me at the station. There were maybe a dozen other people there all shooting smaller calibers. I took the first shot from the .44mag and she said everyone stopped shooting and took a step back to look and see what happened, they all thought someones gun had blown up or something. The range sounded like "bang Bang BANG bang BANG BOOOOOM ....silence......."

Racefiend
04-01-2006, 1:58 AM
I guess mine's not as humorous or memorable as some of the stories I'm hearing. A couple years back at the YSA one of the parachuters was a bit off course. And for those of you who don't go to YSA there is a parachute business right next door where folks parachute into a vacant space right next to the 100 yard rifle range.

Well one time when the range was very crowded, one of the parachuters went off course and landed on the 100 yard range. We all saw him comming and he was never in any danger, but you should have seen the look in his face. I could swear he left a puddle behind heh!

ROFL. Every time I'm at YSA and see the skydivers, I always wonder what would happen if one dropped into the range. Now I know :)

A funny story my Dad told me. He was at the YSA, and some chick came to the pistol range and started setting up. One of the guys shooting there walked up to her trying to be Mr Smooth Stuff and started "teaching" her all the basics, etc etc. She listened until he finished, then she picked up her pistol and emptied the magazine right on target. The guy turned around and walked back to his station, never saying a word LOL.

When I got my mini-14, I took it out to the range with my Dad. After I put some rounds on the 100yd range through it, I asked him if he wanted to shoot it. I had not realized how far the shells ejected on that thing up to that point. I was one station over, spotting for him on the scope, when I got pelted in the temple by one of the shells. It gave quite a sting and drew blood. Later, when I got home, I looked in the mirror and noticed a half circle shape of dry blood on my forehead. Apparently I must have gotten hit by the case neck of the shell. Learned not to stand right next to a mini-14 :p

paradox
04-01-2006, 6:41 AM
Right then this drag queen walks in with a dress on. Everyone stops and has a WTF look on there face. Nobody wanted to stare and we tried not to but it was just such an odd place to see a drag queen that we could not look away. In fact, I think our member Caliar15 was there too that day. Ever since, I have seen the drag queen a few times. Gun loves come it all shapes and sizes I guess :confused:

Hey, being armed can help you avoid being drug to death behind a pick-up truck and staked to a fence.

I think us Cali gun nuts would be smart to do outreach to the PFLAG type groups and offer training and info. Look through history, all genocides tend to start first by disarming the populance then quickly turn to rounding up homos and peace loving liberals. This state has quite a bit of both and we should teach them that they are the ones that really need the second amendment and privately held arms.

bu-bye
04-01-2006, 12:42 PM
Hey, being armed can help you avoid being drug to death behind a pick-up truck and staked to a fence.

I think us Cali gun nuts would be smart to do outreach to the PFLAG type groups and offer training and info. Look through history, all genocides tend to start first by disarming the populance then quickly turn to rounding up homos and peace loving liberals. This state has quite a bit of both and we should teach them that they are the ones that really need the second amendment and privately held arms.

Oh I think it is a great thing that person was shooting. Its always nice to see someone shooting that you would not expect to. I applaud that person really. It was just a strange sight, thats all. Like a nun walking into a bar. Its not a bad thing its just somethng you don't expect to see. Word is that person is not a bad shot either. ;)

docsmileyface
04-01-2006, 1:08 PM
My dad took me and my little sister shooting when we were younger. My sister was about eight or nine and was shooting my dad's S&W Model 19 .357, aiming it by putting her eye right behind the rear sights, my told her to stop and put the gun down but she fired and it knocked right back into her face. Everyone on the range laughed, but looking back it wasn't really all too funny since had she not been wearing proper eye protection she'd probably be half-blind today.

Another time I was shooting an SKS and the thing flings brass out like an ICBM. I made a comment wondering where it was going when my cousin standing behind me started yelling about some *******'s brass flying and hitting him. I was at the 50m part of the metcalf range and it turns out my brass was flying into the wall that partitions the rifle and pistol ranges, bouncing back, and burning my cousin in the neck. :p

Pulsar
04-01-2006, 2:11 PM
forgot about this one. A couple weeks ago I went out into the desert to do some shooting, took some cans and a couple of cardboard boxes to shoot at, and one bowling ball. Well I set up the bowling ball about 200yds from where I was shooting. I decided to shoot it with my Springfield 03'A3, and hit it first shot, the bowling ball exploded as if it had a half pound of C4 in it's core (they are excellent targets by the way) and I actually had a piece of the outer shell of the bowling ball land a couple feet away from me. Needless to say, I spent probably close to an hour trying to round up the pieces so I didn't leave a mess.

Ford8N
04-01-2006, 3:38 PM
Was at the range one time and this group showed up. They were in a big caddy and were older guys. Dressed in slacks and cardigan sweaters. Looked like the golfer types. The old boy's telling his buddys how he's just bought this "big gun" that shoots "big bullets". And how he's got a "big scope". I'm thinking this is gonna be interesting. They set up and the first shot Mr. "Big Gun" nails himself above the eye with the scope. Head wounds bleed. They packed up and left. And another member of the "Kaibab Eye Club" is initiated.

kick Z tail out
04-01-2006, 5:29 PM
Nothing really memorable. Just the typical holes in the roof, and shattered glass to the rear of the firing line at the local indoor range. :eek:

:D

Bobshouse
04-01-2006, 5:34 PM
We share our range with the police departments of local colleges, they come in usually once a month to qualify. Well they arrive, unload their vehicle. One of the officers grabs a 12 gauge and heads to the firing line..loads 3 rounds, jacks one in the chamber, aims down range and BOOM! He must have struck a tripple chaser gas bomb! Sets it off spewing fire in 3 different areas. They try to put out the fire buf finally realize they cant, its spreading to fast. They load up their vehicle tossing in the 12 gauge that started the fire and BOOM!, blow out the back window of the van. They get on their cell phone and notify the fire department of a fire, and leave the scene. The fire department rolls in and contains about a 25 acre fire. Least now our firing range is free of growth!

Bob

creampuff
04-01-2006, 6:20 PM
Went with a friend to the range, to break in his newly bought used Beretta. The previous week, someone was selling out a large arsenal to clear out the house- so he bought several boxes of what looked like mixed 9mm ammo.

While we were shooting, I noticed he was never really hitting the black on the paper at all. After about 20 rounds or so, I was thinking this guy can't the back side of the barn at 7 yards. Well, I looked closer at his target, and I saw small little tiny holes. I told him to STOP.

His mixed box of ammo was all sorts of Glasers. He was burning ammo at $2 a shot. I think he bought 100 rounds of Glasers for $10. He wasn't an experience shooter so he didn't noticed the bullet didn't have the usual copper or JHP look to it, while he was loading the mag. I am not a big fan of Glasers, but still, that was an expensive way to practice shooting.

BobFirewood
04-01-2006, 9:55 PM
I was at Iron Sights a few weeks ago and a group of Marines had come in just before me. They're looking over the rentals and one says, "I'm not the gun expert, but this one looks big and cool!" He had spotted the Raging Hornet. The 'expert' comes over and says, "No, get the 50 cal Desert Eagle, the Israelis designed it as an anti-aircraft gun."

They also rented the S&W .500, thankfully one of the employees told them to only load one round at a time.

I haven't shot the Desert Eagle, but have seen that it has a tendency to eject the casing back into the shooter's forehead. The Marines were checking out ahead of me and one said to another, who had his back to me, "Dude, your forehead's bleeding." He went to wipe it off, but was told, "No, dude, leave it. It looks cool!"

blkA4alb
04-01-2006, 10:11 PM
I was at Iron Sights a few weeks ago and a group of Marines had come in just before me. They're looking over the rentals and one says, "I'm not the gun expert, but this one looks big and cool!" He had spotted the Raging Hornet. The 'expert' comes over and says, "No, get the 50 cal Desert Eagle, the Israelis designed it as an anti-aircraft gun."

They also rented the S&W .500, thankfully one of the employees told them to only load one round at a time.

I haven't shot the Desert Eagle, but have seen that it has a tendency to eject the casing back into the shooter's forehead. The Marines were checking out ahead of me and one said to another, who had his back to me, "Dude, your forehead's bleeding." He went to wipe it off, but was told, "No, dude, leave it. It looks cool!"
ive put about 200 rounds through a 357 magnum desert eagle and its one hella fun gun. its just awesome to shoot. the grip is huge though so smaller hands would have a problem. id love to shoot it in 50AE:D

apexpredator
04-02-2006, 12:15 AM
Couple of fun stories here.

First, when I decided it was time to get a "One Caliber Does All" Bolt action for all North American huntables I decided on a 7mm Mag. I also decided that Winchester Mod 70 was my bolt gun. At the time the "BOSS" System was all the rage so when I picked mine up it was so equipped. So I take the rifle to the range with my pops, who's a shooter but has never popped off anything with more oomph than a 30-30 or an '06 Garand. I put several rounds down range with the boss but wanted to feel the recoil without the compensator on it. For anybody who's tried this you'll know that the felt recoil is about double. So Pops asks if he can give the 7Mag a try and of course I oblige, but before I do I remove the compensator. I'm just mean like that I guess. Pops settled in on the 200 yard gong and let fly with a round. Half a second later he looks up at me and says, "Well that was fun I think I'll just go home and cry now." We all laughed afterward.

This next one happened about 1999 or so. I was at Inland Fish and Game in Redlands and I was doing some load workup for my AR. A couple of lanes down from me was an older man practicing silhouette shooting with a great looking Ruger MK2. The shooter was in a strange shooting position, lying down with his left arm supporting his head, and his right calf supporting the barrel of the gun. I know there is a name for it, I can't remember it right now. So I'm watching what he was doing because it was slightly fascinating, and noticed that he was doing some adjustments between shots. At one point he sat up with his legs crossed and was fiddling with the rear sight. I was just about to yell at the guy to clear his weapon before messing with it when I heard the "Pop". The next thing I heard was, "Oh.. I've been shot." To which I responded, "No, you shot yourself you putz!" The guy shot himself the back of the calf. I found out later from the range master that the bullet hit the bone and followed it down the leg and exited his heel. All I can say is OUCH!

Sheldon
04-02-2006, 1:46 PM
[QUOTE=apexpredator] A couple of lanes down from me was an older man practicing silhouette shooting with a great looking Ruger MK2. The shooter was in a strange shooting position, lying down with his left arm supporting his head, and his right calf supporting the barrel of the gun. I know there is a name for it, I can't remember it right now. QUOTE]

It's called the Creedmore position. Ouch is right. I always though that was one funky way to shoot.

My brother and I were shooting at the Santa Anita Indoor Range, when they were still around, practicing mostly 21-30' or so rapid fire drills and just blowing the heck out of the centers on our targets. During a break as we were reloading our magazines, I notice what looked to me like a police officer practicing a few lanes over. His groups were were a little erratic, so I figured he was new to his weapon, a Glock. I ask him how he liked the Glock and whether he was a police officer. He mentioned the Glock was ok and that he was indeed a police officer. He loked over at our targets and asked if we were policemen to which I replied no. Then he asked whether we were security officers of some type, to which I also replied no. He kept looking at me waiting for me to disclose what our professions were, I guess, figuring it must be law enforcement related. I told him I was a postal worker and my brother told him he was a middle school teacher. You should have seen the look on his face, and then he says, "That's scary." I still laugh when I think about that.

Rums
04-02-2006, 2:11 PM
The first day I went to the range, I'm getting ready to take the Handgun Safety Certificate test (which as it turned out was pointless because I'm not 21, but I did get 100%) and as I'm waiting, this postal worker (in full uniform) is buying the biggest shotgun I've ever seen in my life. I was dying inside trying not to laugh, and I just kept thinking to myself "they don't call it going postal for nothing".

swerv512
04-02-2006, 5:46 PM
shooting my .22 semiauto rifle at the range, 2 deer, 1 buck and 1 doe walked casualy between the 100 and 200 yard targets while we were firing. They didnt even flinch . We called a cease fire, someone ran down and scared 'em off and we started shooting again, They came back . My friend complained because the week before he went deer hunting and didnt see a thing, had to goto the range to see the deer

Sounds like it could be an average weekend at Chabot Firing Range. I've seen that same thing happen three times in the few that I've been there.

Tommy_J_Trainer
04-03-2006, 10:16 AM

The first time I ever went to Iron Sights, back when it was the Oceanside Shooting Academy, I saw a guy hit himself in the forehead from the recoil of that very same 50AE Desert Eagle. I thought it was funny and I got a chuckle out of it, but my frined I was with was hysterically laughing at the guy. I felt kinda bad for him since he looked like such a sheisskopf, but the humor of it outweighed my pity for him. I hope that welt on his head was worth the $1 per round.

anotherted
04-03-2006, 10:42 AM
I was at SGVGC a week or so ago and the old guy (everyone who goes there knows who im talking about) was on the intercom telling everyone to "Unload your firearms, clear the actions and stand behind the yellow line!!!". For once there were no idiots fumbling around the benches for him to scream at and i think he was a bit disoriented by this. He got this much out "The range is now clear...." -- at this point everyone knows the drill and began to walk downrange to change their targets -- he then said "YOU MAY COMMENCE FIRING!" (He should have said "you may commence downrange to change your targets, you have 5 minutes"). Needless to say, the people walking downrange were a bit suprised and quickly turned around. He then laughed (realizing his error) -- everyone at the range had a good laugh as well.

CalExile
04-03-2006, 11:16 AM
I usually bring a supressed pistol as well as a CZ52 with the old Czech flame thrower ammo. They come out when some jackass with a ruger 9mm is trying to impress a chick. Recently, a dude got pissed at me when his girl defected to my lane to shoot the supressed HK. Good fun.

ajwells
04-03-2006, 3:18 PM
I was at Oaktree with a friend and no matter where I moved his rounds, each and every time, came arcing up and landing on my head. I started laughing as it was insane how they seemed to follow me. Then a few went down the back of my shirt which was tucked in and I got tired of it, having to pull them out and everything, so I moved to the left of him.

Inkman
04-03-2006, 3:45 PM
Lets see.

The guy shooting the big old handgun right after it rained and there were pools of water all over the range and watching the water shoot up in the air at least 10 feet before the target. Talk about low and left.

The two guys shooting handguns next to me 2 weeks ago. Their targets looked like they were hit with buckshot. It was funny to me cuz that was me 6 mos ago. :D

Loading the tube fed .22 and having to sit for 20 minutes cuz it flew out and into the gravel beyond the bench (Me).

Ahhhhhhhhh...guess those weren't that funny...

Al

50 Freak
04-03-2006, 6:43 PM
My story is about the time I took my FAL to Jackson Arms.

I had just recently got a 9mm Conversion kit for my FAL. The guys at Jackson know me and always put me in the range to the right (they put the nubies on the left so they can keep an eye on them). Anyways the range on the right is usually empty and that allows me to rapid fire as I wish.

Anyways, I'm setting up my bench and pull out my FAL, as I'm doing this, three groups of guys come and set up to my right and to my left. I see badges under their jackets. Turns out the ones on my left were Sheriffs and the ones on my right were FBI.

I'm getting a little nervous shooting my "evil black gun" next to these guys but figure, hey, it's legal and I have paperwork if they want to see that it's registered. Anyways, I put in a 30 rounder Sten mag and start firing.

Bang...Bang...Bang....BRRRRRAAAAPPPP......

HOLY CRAP!!!!!! the gun went auto on me. I about crapped in my pants. I took the mag out of the gun and emptied it, open it up and looked around. One of the Sheriff's guy to my left looked at me like "COOL!!!".

Upon inspection of the gun, it looked normal (thought it was a stuck firing pin). I inserted the mag again. Bang...Bang..Bang :)doing good now....Bang...BRRRRAAAPPPPP. Now the FBI guys looks at me. I hastily packed up my gun and took off real quick.

In retrospect, I guess they didn't care, or thought I was one of those "three letter" kinda guy. As apparently, no one even batted an eye at me when I left.

big jon
04-03-2006, 9:56 PM
In the 80s i worked at a indoor range in orange the best story happened to one of the kid who worked for us. While checking in a customer we would always check out the firearm to be used,these two mexians guys ,gang bangers,check in with a mac 11 type well the s.n.# were filed off so the RM sighns them in and they go shooting a quick cal to the orange PD a couple plain clouthes officers come in an they pretend to be customers and are on each side of the home boys as soon as they run out of ammo they get hooked and booked
Any how ive got more stories but no time ill post some more later

Justang
04-03-2006, 10:04 PM
In the 80s i worked at a indoor range in orange the best story happened to one of the kid who worked for us. While checking in a customer we would always check out the firearm to be used,these two mexians guys ,gang bangers,check in with a mac 11 type well the s.n.# were filed off so the RM sighns them in and they go shooting a quick cal to the orange PD a couple plain clouthes officers come in an they pretend to be customers and are on each side of the home boys as soon as they run out of ammo they get hooked and booked
Any how ive got more stories but no time ill post some more later

Now that's friggen sweet!

avidone
04-03-2006, 10:49 PM
These stories are great! C'mon! go ahead and post one or two more.

bear308
04-04-2006, 12:07 AM
Few years ago at the range I work at, we had three kids (around 21) come in. They walked in right after two LAPD officers and right before some SD deputies. Near as I can figure they were smoking the joint in their car on the way over. All the cops slowly started to realize what was up and started looking at me, with a wtf look on their face. The idots froze when I asked em about smokin out on the way to the range. They left and we all got a great laugh.

big jon
04-04-2006, 12:40 AM
I come into the range on a saturday early not to much ation, only two shooters,The same kid working as the story above, anyway,Hes laughfing to himself.I asked him whats going on? He points to the empty range, we had 16 lanes in the maine part of the shop and right in the middle are the two shooters, shooting right next to each other no big deal these were regulars they shot with us all the time just not at the same time you see one of the shooters was 6foot5 at least 350 pounds and african american he payed football at one of the local colleges. On the other lane the other shooters were a couple of skin heads with doc martians and white power t-shirts you know the works. Needless to say they didnt come back..
Around 1987 i was shooting at Lytle creek, if any of you know abought that place at time it was to say the least a war zone.Any how iam with a friend and his wife,then this low rider mini p/u pulls along side us. These two gangsters start pulling out car fenders/doors/and hood,we watched as they set them up down range.When they got back i expeted them to set up the guns and ammo and start shooting.But insted they moved the low rider facing the car parts they set up for targets,the next thing you know the passanger jumps out with a sawed off shotgun and starts to blast away at there targets.well i waked down the road till i got a cell phone signal called the ranges who told me to call the CHP, they said they would be right out. when i was walking back to my truck i saw the passanger stuff the shotgun into the door from the insde and the cover it with the door pannel.These two guys kept practicing pulling it out of the door shooting,reloading and putting back in the door.We watched them till they ran out of ammo, when they both started to retreve there targets my friend and i walked up to them with his H&K91 and my AR15 and had them sit down. we waited for abought 20 minuits till the CHP got there,the Chips officer couldent beleave that they were so bold,but i dont think they were,i think they are just plane stupid..

big jon
04-04-2006, 12:45 AM
I come into the range on a saturday early not to much ation, only two shooters,The same kid working as the story above, anyway,Hes laughfing to himself.I asked him whats going on? He points to the empty range, we had 16 lanes in the maine part of the shop and right in the middle are the two shooters, shooting right next to each other no big deal these were regulars they shot with us all the time just not at the same time you see one of the shooters was 6foot5 at least 350 pounds and african american he payed football at one of the local colleges. On the other lane the other shooters were a couple of skin heads with doc martians and white power t-shirts you know the works. Needless to say they didnt come back..
Around 1987 i was shooting at Lytle creek, if any of you know abought that place at time it was to say the least a war zone.Any how iam with a friend and his wife,then this low rider mini p/u pulls along side us. These two gangsters start pulling out car fenders/doors/and hood,we watched as they set them up down range.When they got back i expeted them to set up the guns and ammo and start shooting.But insted they moved the low rider facing the car parts they set up for targets,the next thing you know the passanger jumps out with a sawed off shotgun and starts to blast away at there targets.well i waked down the road till i got a cell phone signal called the ranges who told me to call the CHP, they said they would be right out. when i was walking back to my truck i saw the passanger stuff the shotgun into the door from the insde and the cover it with the door pannel.These two guys kept practicing pulling it out of the door shooting,reloading and putting back in the door.We watched them till they ran out of ammo, when they both started to retreve there targets my friend and i walked up to them with his H&K91 and my AR15 and had them sit down. we waited for abought 20 minuits till the CHP got there,the Chips officer couldent beleave that they were so bold,but i dont think they were,i think they are just plane stupid..

Sheldon
04-04-2006, 2:31 AM
LYTLE CREEK!!! How could I have forgotten about my intro to that place. I went there my first time with a bunch of my gun toting fellow postal workers. We are blasting away and all of a sudden we hear this tremendous...."BBBOOOOoooooom". We all stopped and looked at one another and I say it must be someone with a big black powder rifle. A couple huge booms later and I'm convinced someone must be playing with a black powder cannon. A little later a car comes down the road and two guys setup to our right. They go down the range and setup, what we thought were their targets. Next thing you know, they're poppong the hood of the car. We're thinking that's a little strange.......then we see them hook something up to the battery and ....BBBOOOOoooommm!!!! They were setting off some type of charges. They keep this up for a while and next thing you know a park ranger comes and draws down on them. CHP shows up next and then a helicopter. We end up getting detained and questioned about what we saw and heard. As we're waiting around a couple other shooters show up to check out what was going on and it turns out they were the ones who called the police. They told us the morons were next to them when they first got there. Everytime they blew one off rocks rained down on them!! It was no surprise to me when they shut down Lytle Creek!!!!

big jon
04-05-2006, 8:17 AM
just one more.the range was full we were all bussy and not watching the range the way we should have been.i did a range check and found a large biker guy with his friends shooting at playing cards,not that big of a deal but he couldnt shoot so he was distroying the target carrier,so i had to talk with him,he was a know it all and purty much blew me off.I knew ied have to keep an eye on this guy.a couple minuits later iam watching them thru the glass,and the dummy puts up another playing card,i grab my ear protection and just as i head for the door i see this bonehead rest the old 44mag 7&1/2 on his forarm just like the movies,boom,boom,boom,then he starts to jump around yelling IAM ON FIRE, yup you know it, his jacket caught on fire,he ended up taking it off and stomping it out.it was purty funny and he still missed the cards...

islandchanel
04-05-2006, 6:11 PM
I took my girlfriend with me to American Shooting center to shoot a couple of boxes of ammo. We were there for about 10 minutes when this mexican gangster and a girl comes in with a rented ar-15 and sets up at the lane next to us. He only had one target and he clipped it up and shot it twice when it fell off onto the floor. He starts walking down the range to pick it up when theres four other people shooting. I start yelling at him to get the f@$% back and he came back wondering why i was yelling at him. So I tell him to go andtell the RO. While hes gone his girlfriend is holding the gun. She turns to me and my girlfriend pointing and waiving it at us asking if she looked bad *** with it. I nearly snapped on her packed up our **** and left. I have not been back there since this happened.

CalExile
04-05-2006, 7:41 PM
That's a general rule: It is a bad idea to be at the range with any sort of interesting or unusual or nice weapon, or shooting small groups at reasonably large distances, if nearby is a clueless newbie who has rented a really boring gun and can barely keep his holes on the paper, trying to impress a "friend" (usually a young lady). Causes bad feelings, and probably prevents the friendly but clueless young gentlemen from getting where he wants to get with her.

The same happens on the road: You see a 19-year-old guy with his chick (I'm using the term deliberately here, the term "woman" would be inappropriate), cruising along in his beat-up but prettified rice burner, when a Ferrari or a decked-out military M998 (HumVee) with a 500HP engine and a lift kit goes by. Such events probably make the 19-year-old guy feel very inadequate.

In both situations, it is probably best to leave the two young people alone, stay far away, and prevent embarassment and frustration.

Law of the Jungle.

asintado
04-06-2006, 1:00 PM
I shot my first gun when I was ten (Charter Arms .38 Off Duty). My dad brought the whole family to this public outdoor range outside San Diego where we met up with a bunch of his Navy buddies. This was during the pre-ban era so everyone had AKs, M1As, M4s and ARs. After my dad put a mag through his AR he decided to show me how to shoot the revolver. Everyone at this point is shooting some targets in the distance and I'm just shooting some empty soda cans about 5 yards in front of me. Next thing you know, a squirrel starts walking behind the lined up soda cans and all his buddies rain down on the squirrel. Well, after all their ammo was expelled the squirrel just walked across the range into the next one.

socalguns
04-06-2006, 2:05 PM
If the squirrel was a man, he'd have surely been toast :D

mur
05-07-2006, 10:11 AM
First Infantry Division (Big Red One)
Second Lieutenant straight out of the academy is assigned to our platoon.
Gung-Ho John Wayne type. Obviously the guy has book smarts, just doesn't have really world experience. Anyways we go a M2 .50 Cal Qualifing Range somewhere in southern Germany, can't quite remember where, Anyways
we get to the Range, set up and start taking shots down range. The whole time the 2nd LT keeps telling us Aim higher, Do it this way, Blah Blah Blah....
After Sticking his chest out barking these almost insults at us, he decides to show us himself. After switching barrels out (previous one was smokin hot)
the LT puts his foot on top the gun and screws in the barrel, Backing it off 2 or 3 clicks which is common for the Headspacing and timing, Regardless though it still needs to be checked.
Gets down behind the Weapon, I say "excuse me Sir should we not check the Spacing" to which I got verbally assaulted for questioning him. At which point the Sargent Stated that it's better safety to check it, again a barage of verbal scolding.
He gets down, locks and loads a rounds and BAMMMMMM, The Barrel go flying down range, Well at least 20 ft(and they are Heavy).
"Cease Fire, Cease Fire" the Instructor yells. He comes over and just ripped into him, the whole time we were grinning from ear to ear, Making sure not to bust out laughing of course, well not until he left:)

vonsmith
05-07-2006, 11:13 AM
A few years back I was at a Los Angeles area outdoor pistol range. A big guy dressed in clothes too fancy for a range took the booth next to me. He didn't look like a "gun" kinda' guy. I thought it was odd since he was carrying all his stuff in his two hands. He had a box of .22 Magnums in one hand and a cute little derringer type pistol in the other. He loaded it up, pointed down range, and... BLAMMM!!! A big firery flash came out the front of that teeny gun and scared the cr*p out of the guy. Just one shot and he was trying to sell the pistol to someone at the range. Cruelly, I couldn't help but to laugh.

=vonsmith=

daskraut
05-12-2006, 4:11 AM
I saw a $3000.00 ruger 10/22 that shot no better than my calico M100!, such wasted effort...

WallySparx
05-13-2006, 12:19 PM
i just saw mine yesterday. saw a guy with a mosin nagant m38, holding it straight in front of him as though it were a giant pistol. the butt of the stock was pressed right up against the center of his chest. dude managed to get 5 shots off before he quit. his pained face, as you might imagine, was not unlike that of one getting kicked in the balls. and also as you might have predicted, his target was still clean after his shots were taken.

anotherted
05-13-2006, 4:26 PM
A guy today with an offlister shooting offhand. He would glance throught the scope to see if he was pointing at the target. Then he would pull his head away and look over the scope to shoot. :rolleyes:

blacklisted
05-13-2006, 5:34 PM
A guy today with an offlister shooting offhand. He would glance throught the scope to see if he was pointing at the target. Then he would pull his head away and look over the scope to shoot. :rolleyes:

Wow, that's a new one! :D

anothergunnut
05-13-2006, 6:11 PM
I have seen plenty of stupid, dangerous things at range but none of which I would call funny. I guess that is why I like to go to the range on Fridays, usually not many people there. I just went yesterday and had a great time. The only people there were the kind who know which end the bullets come out.

wutzu
05-14-2006, 3:09 AM
Most of my stories involve one of my friends who I frequently take to the SLOSA range.

1. Shooting my M-1 Carbine. He puts in the mag, but doesn't seat it all the way. Click. I figure, surplus ammo, maybe it's a bad primer, so i gingerly pull the bolt back a little ways, and no brass in the chamber. Showed him how to push-pull to make sure the mag's in all the way.

2. Shooting my off-lister. Round fails to feed and gets stuck halfway still in the magazine. My friend is worried, afraid he broke my brand-new toy. I tell him in a conspiratorial tone "you see this little button (forward assist)? Just hit it with the heel of your hand." To this day, he pushes the forward assist with his trigger finger every time he puts the rifle in battery.

3. At the Los Altos Rod&Gun range: Some guy shooting his SKS. Loading one round at a time. Riding the bolt home the whole way. Needless to say. it goes click. The RO has to explain to him that the rifle is designed to take abuse, and the bolt should be allowed to slam home.

4. The first time I shot my 10/22. I was at the los altos range, next to a guy shooting 30-06. I pull the trigger at the same time as the guy next to me: BAM! I pull the trigger a second time, hear Ptt, and figure the gun's broken already.

Gwenzilla
03-27-2008, 12:39 AM
In my younger days... I bought these cool (to me at least) yellow lens high visibility shooting glasses with the kind of arms that wrap around behind the ear. I'm loving them cause I'm looking cool (yeh right ?!) and my friends all think their cool too.
Up at the Chabot range I was shooting one of my 1911's and finished up the box so I walk over to the spotting scope to watch my buddy's progress. I was wearing my usual baseball cap and turned the brim around to the back so it wouldn't bump the spotting scope by accident. I get positioned and am watching the action when one of the brass cases that are spewing from said buddy's .45 manages to plop right into my forehead and lodges behind the lens right up against my eyelid. Its hot, I'm startled, and I yank those cool glasses off my face so fast that the "wrap around the ear" arms of those cool glasses puts a nice slice behind each ear. (who's cool now?).
Lesson learned: Coolness can be very fleeting, as I went from cool to dweeb in 2 seconds flat!

hitman13
03-27-2008, 1:19 AM
I went from cool to dweeb in 2 seconds flat!
it took 2 seconds to bump this thread?

JK Man!

FortCourageArmory
03-27-2008, 1:24 AM
The ultimate range story belongs to a friend of mine. He was in the army, stationed in Germany. They were using practice TOW missiles (no warhead) at night. They army used special targets so the night vision and thermal sensors could detect/see the target. He was having trouble finding the target, but finally got a heat signature. He fired and hit the target. The rangemaster radioed that the target was not even up yet due to technical issues. They went out to find out what he had hit, and found part of a deer!

Mine is similar. Tank gunnery qualification in Germany. I had to fire the main gun at two tank targets (big plywood cutouts fitted with heating pads to make them visible to the Tank Thermal Sight) and the M240 at troop targets (smaller versions of the tank targets). The main gun targets were on the right side of the road and the troops were supposed to be on the left. I engaged the two tank targets and began to scan for the troops. It seemed like forever until I saw the white-hot blobs in the thermal sight. I flipped the safety switch and commenced to lay some long bursts into the targets. When I was done, the control tower radioed that they weren't sure I hit the troops. They sent a range officer downrange and checked out the targets. Sure enough, I missed the troops......but fifty yards farther on I had wiped out a flock of sheep. They considered the total devistation I visited on the sheep and gave me credit for a successful engangement.

Stormfeather
03-27-2008, 1:59 AM
wow. . . talk about a serious Necro-Post. . almost 2 full years between posts! But what the heck. . .

I was at the Elk Grove Gun Room shooting range setting up to practice some concealed carry drills. Basically my drill consist of loading mag, chambering round, holstering in concealed holster, then practicing drawing fromthe concealed, and triple tap series. (2 center mass, 1 head) So Im all set up, and I notice that Ive got a few gangbanger types watching me since im carrying concealed. (not normally allowed there unless the head rangemaster gives you the in house qualification for it) Ive got my electronic muffs on, so I can hear everything they are saying, (but they dont realize it) and it consists of "hey dawg, aint that the fool that put so & so away. . ya know, hes poe-poe. . .hes carrying his gat all hidden and sh*t. . .bet he thinks hes all good like that" and various other disparaging remarks. Im basically not thinking about it, but definitely paying attention to it. So I set up on the target, go into "pray mode" hands folded together chest level, and start my drill. I do a rapid fire series of three rounds drawn from the concealed. My very first series looks like this. . . . two bullseyes centered half inch on either side of the bullseye X . . . 0X0 . . .on the chest and a centered red zone hit between the eyes. I pull the target back. . . look at it, and pack up and walk out. Smiling at the gangsta wanna-be's as I leave. As I walk out the door, they are all looking at me funny, I cant help but say . . ."see ya on the streets guys!" :D
I figured it couldnt get any better than that, so no need to embaress myself by starting with a perfect series and getting worse in front of the knuckleheads right? :p

Dr. Peter Venkman
03-27-2008, 2:50 AM
In my younger days... I bought these cool (to me at least) yellow lens high visibility shooting glasses with the kind of arms that wrap around behind the ear. I'm loving them cause I'm looking cool (yeh right ?!) and my friends all think their cool too.
Up at the Chabot range I was shooting one of my 1911's and finished up the box so I walk over to the spotting scope to watch my buddy's progress. I was wearing my usual baseball cap and turned the brim around to the back so it wouldn't bump the spotting scope by accident. I get positioned and am watching the action when one of the brass cases that are spewing from said buddy's .45 manages to plop right into my forehead and lodges behind the lens right up against my eyelid. Its hot, I'm startled, and I yank those cool glasses off my face so fast that the "wrap around the ear" arms of those cool glasses puts a nice slice behind each ear. (who's cool now?).
Lesson learned: Coolness can be very fleeting, as I went from cool to dweeb in 2 seconds flat!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/adeptusmoronicus/thread_necromancer.png

The last bit of the card is NOT IN PLAY.

My funny story is being at a Calguns shoot at Chabot and having TheSoupNazi flinging spent 7.62x54R casings out of Xeno's PSL at roughly 1,000 MPH into my head. I tried catching them but it really didn't work.

At Metcalf, my girlfriend was shooting my 1911. I am standing about six feet behind her, leaving enough space for someone to walk between her and I as she is shooting at her section. A man walks between us just as she fires a round. The round bounces off her head onto the head of the man walking behind her, then hits me or my other buddy in the head. That was pretty good.

dreyna14
03-27-2008, 3:06 AM
Funniest thing at a range for me was when I took my girlfriend to shoot a gun for the first time. In Korea, no one can own a handgun but there are several ranges at various places (expensive). I asked her if she wanted to try and she agreed. I chose the 1911 for me and the .38 revolver for her. I went in a blasted my bunch of shots. When she went in, I anticipated everything that was going to happen as a watched from behind the glass. She's DAMN good at airsoft ranges there and can aim a gun very well.

At the ranges they chain the guns to the wall for what I thought was some dumb reason. I watched her take aim, shoot, scream, and drop the gun. I laughed my *** off because I expected everything except for her to drop the gun, which made me laugh even harder. The other people, Koreans, were staring at me probably thinking, "What's this round-eye laughing at?" Anyways, here first shot was in the bullseye (see pic). She nervously shot off the rest of the rounds. I was very impressed with her first shots with a real firearm though they got progressively worse since the gun was a little heavy for her small hands. I can't wait to take her out to a real range.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n135/dreyna144/DSC_5721.jpg

Nemo
03-27-2008, 12:06 PM

I know this is an ancient post, but I've gotta say I agree with you most heartily, Paradox. Positive outreach and training to groups that are traditionally anti-gun (urban women, lib'ruls, gays/lesbians/transgender folks, etc.) is a hell of a way to gain pro-gun allies from unexpected directions. Arming and training people who are more likely to get attacked can be a fine, fine thing.

I've been taking women and trans folks out to the local ranges for the last couple of months as part of my self-defense group...and it's been fun to see 'em discover their skills and responsibility with a gun in hand, and question some of their assumptions.

:D

CrippledPidgeon
03-27-2008, 12:10 PM
There was the one time that there were two guys, one of whom obviously wanted to impress his girlfriend with his mosin, shooting at San Leandro. Somehow the girl got past the rangemaster without ear protection, so in between screaming whenever anyone, especially her boyfriend, shot anything, she was frantically texting *someone* while holding one hand over her ear in hopes that would help. The rangemaster caught on pretty quick and dragged her by the arm inside to get her ears protected. The funny thing was she'd still jump every time someone shot anything. Imagine bringing someone afraid of loud noises to a shooting range.

DedEye
03-27-2008, 3:58 PM
Funniest thing at a range for me was when I took my girlfriend to shoot a gun for the first time. In Korea, no one can own a handgun but there are several ranges at various places (expensive). I asked her if she wanted to try and she agreed. I chose the 1911 for me and the .38 revolver for her. I went in a blasted my bunch of shots. When she went in, I anticipated everything that was going to happen as a watched from behind the glass. She's DAMN good at airsoft ranges there and can aim a gun very well.

At the ranges they chain the guns to the wall for what I thought was some dumb reason. I watched her take aim, shoot, scream, and drop the gun. I laughed my *** off because I expected everything except for her to drop the gun, which made me laugh even harder. The other people, Koreans, were staring at me probably thinking, "What's this round-eye laughing at?" Anyways, here first shot was in the bullseye (see pic). She nervously shot off the rest of the rounds. I was very impressed with her first shots with a real firearm though they got progressively worse since the gun was a little heavy for her small hands. I can't wait to take her out to a real range.

Is the body armor required by the range?

Gator Monroe
03-27-2008, 4:03 PM
SUV load of 18 to 20 somthings with a Norinco AK (PG & 5 30 ROUND MAGS ) Blastin away til the gun was smokin hard ! I told them they would be up SHIZNIT creek if the Shasta County Sherrif arrived or the CHP pulled them over on way home (Told them to go to this forum to get caught up on Ca. OLL/Off list requirements) showed them my WASR 22 and they left ...

hitman13
03-27-2008, 5:08 PM
a couple of years ago i was still working at edson range. we were on the field firing range with the recruits and one of them decided to shoot himself in th leg to get out of bootcamp. only problem was he nicked the major artery and had to be air lifted out, almost died.

one of the dumbest thing ive ever seen but int he marine corps sense of mind its pretty funny how stupid recruits are!

tattooed_freak
03-27-2008, 11:50 PM
heard this statement from a police cadet....I don't remember which but very memorable statement....

"I need practice cause I'm in the police academy, out of 5 shots at 3 yards I only hit the target 2 times"

Nodda Duma
03-28-2008, 8:52 AM
heard this statement from a police cadet....I don't remember which but very memorable statement....

"I need practice cause I'm in the police academy, out of 5 shots at 3 yards I only hit the target 2 times"

I can relate. I can shoot longarms pretty darn good, but give me a pistol and I'd have trouble hitting the side of a mountain.

-Jason

Olav
03-28-2008, 9:46 AM

Do you have to wear those vests when you are at the range in Korea?

Pokey
03-28-2008, 11:28 AM
I think one of the best ones I have witnessed was at a Turkey Shoot at the Santa Lucia range in Atascadero. They have either 3 or 4 trap ranges (been a long time) each of which has 5 shooters on station. During a lul in the shooting, a jack rabbit pops up down range at the far right side of the range and proceeds to run the entire way across the range untouched while EVERYONE is looking at each other waiting for someone else to fire the first shot ( I was actually on one of the stations, so had a great view of the looks on everyones faces). One shot and the rabbit would have been a red stain, but no one fired so he made it safely.

Experimentalist
03-28-2008, 6:59 PM
A few years ago I was in a shotgun class out in Nevada.

We were on line, shooting steel reactive targets under time pressure. Stand at low ready, wait for the beep, then fire. The instructors take a little time between each repetition to provide feedback to the students.

The Instructor saw me muff a shot, and tells everyone to hold their fire.

He then proceeds to have me, with all in attendance watching, repeat the drill solo. So he gives the command, I quickly raise my shotgun to fire...

... and the magazine extension pops off. The mag spring launches it into the darkness, followed at a more leisurely pace by each round in the magazine. At this point I started to lower the gun, and the barrel then fell free onto the ground.

Maybe you had to be there, but it was quite funny. I held the remainder of my shotgun up and declared my shotgun was now safe.

dreyna14
03-29-2008, 12:45 AM
Yup. The first time I went 3 years ago, they didn't require them, but last time, New Years Eve 2006, you did have to. Not sure why, but I wasn't complaining.

ATNoptics
04-12-2009, 12:16 PM
I remember a trip I took down to the Los Altos range with my bolt action Steyr-Mannlicher a few years back.

I was shooting the rifle on my lane when I was approached by a recent new hire RM bellowing at me that I was "double tapping". I replied back, "I'm not double tapping" he grew rather angry at me and said "I just heard you double tapping!!"

"Your new to here aren't you" I said, he seemed to only get more upset with me and said "I'm going to have to ask you to leave if you can't follow the rules"

I had to restrain myself from laughing and had to point out to him that the rifle was a bolt action and is physically impossible. At this time several people were paying attention to this conversation and they couldn't stifle their laugh any longer when I pointed out that I was shooting a bolt action rifle that he was accusing me of "double tapping" with.

He stormed off without saying another word and I never saw him at the range again.

Another range story:

At local indoor range I meet up with a buddy of mine to shoot some pistols and we set up our targets and proceeded to shoot.

I got my CZ52 out and let some lead go downrange and I was able to hear my buddy started yelling "f**K that's hot!!!". I realized he was wearing sandals and the hot brass managed to successfully lodge itself between the sandal strap and his toes. Funny stuff

bodega bob
04-12-2009, 1:08 PM
I was just about the only person shooting at Chabot one day, when the range officer announced to watch out because there was a turkey on the range. I thought that was kind of rude, since she didn't even know me. By the time a saw the actual wild turkey walking back and forth in front of the targets, they called a cease fire.

oilfieldtrash11
04-12-2009, 1:14 PM
walked into Yolo Sportsmens, signed in, when i made it out to the 100 range, i saw a large group of what appeared to be table gamers. i was wrong they played both dungeons and dragons AND video games, my bad, i know. well they were all out there to shoot their friends new "machine gun" as they called it (Bushmaster AR with the dumb sealed mag well). on the gun, was stickers that said counter strike and halo......one of them thought he was superman, he was wearing a red cape, and a lightsaber.

Dutch Schultz
04-12-2009, 3:51 PM

Oh wow that's crazy, I lived in South Korea for a little while and I didn't know they had ranges or anything available there. I can't help but notice the target says "Lotte World" is that the same Lotte World amusement park they have there in Seoul?

SJgunguy24
04-12-2009, 4:20 PM
I had a guy tell me he was a sniper in the Marines, he couldn't hit a 11"X8" steel plate at 100 yards with my AK. He told me my rifle was jacked up and my sights were off. I hit the steel 5 shots in a row with my gun and then did the same with his gun.

bohoki
04-12-2009, 7:22 PM
i wore a hooded sweatshirt at an indoor range once and when i got home it have some 40 45 9mm 22 in the hood

i dont know if someone dropped it in or it just landed there

cannon
04-12-2009, 7:26 PM
I was all alone on our range shooting 200 yards with my M1A. I noticed a movement to the front right. So I lifted my head to see a buck and two does crossing the range at 100 yards. Lucky for them I only varmint hunt.

Tillers_Rule
04-12-2009, 7:34 PM
Long story short:

Out a Lytle Creek, this old salty guy claims to one time have snuck out to the backside of the range, then started sniping some guys motorcycle radiators that were making a ruckus.:eek:

glock_this
04-12-2009, 7:36 PM
a guy all gangsta dressed out showing off to his girlfriend blasted the ceiling 7 yards out with his shotgun... recoil scared the :censored: out of him & they went from all smiles and laughs to looking like the turded their pants

One Shot, One Dropped
04-12-2009, 7:48 PM

Sometimes, at indoor ranges especially, I really wish I had one (and I know you feel sketch about some people at ranges too). We should have a group buy! :)

AlexBreya
04-12-2009, 8:01 PM
That is pretty funny, but honestly, that could happen to me easily. I'm a HORRIBLE shot with a pistol. with a kimber .45, I hit chest sized cut outs about 1/5 of the time at 25 yards! I could easily accidentally hit another shooters target.

dominic
04-12-2009, 8:04 PM
At Camp Pendelton's sniper training range a colony of ground squirrels made their home on the range. Finally got so bad that they caused a bunch of damage to wiring and vehicles from their chewing that they called in a pest controller to remove them, his method? He shot them with a pellet gun.

gdr_11
04-12-2009, 9:20 PM
Back in the early 70's when they were still a rarity, I bought a Marlin 1895 in 45-70 and worked up a variety of handloads. I went to the Spenceville range one weekend to shoot several of my guns, including the 45-70. For those of you who know Spenceville, there have always been more targets than teeth on the range any given day. In any case, I set up next to a couple of "good-ol" boys who were shooting some beat up Winchester 94s. When I uncased my Marlin, one guy says "Nice thurty-thurty" to which I say "thanks".

While they are looking on, I slip in a few 300 jhp handloads with maximum payload of 2400 powder. Imagine a shell case the size of a 20 ga. stuffed to the gills with a slow burning powder using a Magnum primer out of a carbine length barrel. This load used to blow a flame 3-5 ft. out the barrel with a horrendous roar.

As the ol boys are watching, I touch one off and they almost fall backwards off the bench. One of them keeps yelling "didcha....didcha see that!!!".

I am LMAO and say "You mean yours don't do that?"

I bet those hicks dropped a road apple the size of a watermelon!

Timberwolf
04-12-2009, 9:46 PM
At the range where I work we have the occassional groud squirrel problem. They dig and knaw and stuff gets destroyed, so ever so often we thin the population, usual early in the morning with 22s.

A couple of weeks ago I was zeroing my own 22 and happened to spy one just to the right of my target in some weeds. The line was still hot so I put in a fresh mag and lined up on his head and took the shot. At my shot instead of seeing him topple over he exploded in a mass of pink mist and body parts. As I looked at my rifle wondering what a punch Wolf MT packs I noticed a friend of mine had set up next to me with his rifle (a 308) and was laughing his butt off. Apparently he saw what I was doing and decided to help me out in my pursuit of this dangerous critter and was able to break his shot at the same time as mine.

Upon inspection during the cease fire we determined that my 22 entered below the eye and exited the neck area, surely a death blow. His 308 entered somewhere below the chest and disected the creature (168 Amaxs are wicked).

JohnBrian
04-13-2009, 6:34 PM
shooting my .22 semiauto rifle at the range, 2 deer, 1 buck and 1 doe walked casualy between the 100 and 200 yard targets while we were firing. They didnt even flinch :confused: . We called a cease fire, someone ran down and scared 'em off and we started shooting again, They came back:D . My friend complained because the week before he went deer hunting and didnt see a thing, had to goto the range to see the deer:D
I worked as a range safety officer at Los Altos Rod & Gun Club when I was in college back in 1987/88. Similar thing happened there!

"Cease fire!"

"Nobody shoot the deer!"

"Somebody run out there & scare them off!"

One Shot, One Dropped
04-13-2009, 10:28 PM
I worked as a range safety officer at Los Altos Rod & Gun Club when I was in college back in 1987/88. Similar thing happened there!

"Cease fire!"

"Nobody shoot the deer!"

"Somebody run out there & scare them off!"

That stuff ALWAYS happens at LARGC. It seriously happens multiple times some months.

ZRX61
04-13-2009, 11:59 PM
Out in the desert last weekend about dusk. I fire off a round from my Mosin M38 while sitting on my tailgate & my kid starts yelling. I look around to ask her whats up & she tells me that when the gun fired every moth within about 15ft of my truck fell out of the air... there were about 10 or so in the bed of the truck... :)

1lostinspace
04-14-2009, 12:15 AM
At Angeles range a Nerd (Keith) working there kept calling my friends M1A a socom so we started him Socom lol.

Another funny thing was watching my friend hit a ground squirrel at 200 with 7mm REM mag SPLAAAATT!!!

tkmech21
04-14-2009, 1:41 AM
For me it would have to be the time me and a buddy went to the Inland Fish and Game range in highland. We got there before the range actually opened to get some good spots, put our bags on a couple of benches and start talking about whatever until we can shoot. There was a group of I think the were ROTC or maybe civil air patrol (I cant remember) young kids though maybe 9-12 somewhere in there. Their drill instructor was going over range safety, gun safety, all the stuff someone should know who has never been to a range or fired a gun. Then proceeds to tell them that there is a range master, points at the range master to show them where he's at. And tells them whatever he says, goes. Now we're getting louder so let me turn up the text: IF THE RANGE MASTER CALLS A CEASE FIRE, UNLOAD THE FIREARM AND STEP AWAY-GET BEHIND THE YELLOW LINE. IF YOU DO NOT LISTEN TO THE RANGE MASTER AND HE FEELS THREATEND HE HAS A GUN HE WILL SHOOT YOU!!!!! my buddy and I had to hold back the laughing, it was pretty comedic stuff. He was putting the fear of Smith and Wesson into those kids. Well thats my funny range story, hope you enjoyed.

b_k
04-14-2009, 11:35 AM
A friend and I went to a shooting range here in SD a while back. I think it was our second time shooting...maybe our third, can't remember. We're at the counter picking out the pistols to rent and getting assigned our lane. The man behind the counter asks if we'd like targets. So my friend's deciding which target he wants. They're up on the wall and I can't remember if they were numbered. It didn't matter this time, cause as he's looking up and deciding, he finally says "I'll take the black guy." My eyes grew and I was thinking "oh ****, did you just say you'll take the BLACK GUY?!". Last time I went to that range, I definitely saw a number next to the targets. :D

bden
04-14-2009, 12:53 PM
I was at Cordova Shooting Center a few years ago and there were 3 characters there who I don't want to say looked like gang bangers because "it's not right to judge others", but if they happened to be on TV it would probably be on an episode of COPS, and they'd probably wouldn't be the ones riding around in the front seat.

That said, they paid the $20 to shoot 3 rounds through the .50 cal. BMG. First dude (big huge almost oafish kinda guy) takes a seat at the bench and the range master loads a round. I'd noticed earlier this guy kept taking his foam earplugs out, and it appeared as though he'd done it again. He'd been warned to keep them in, but sure enough just as he sat down at the BMG he pulled out his left earplug. The range master didn't notice because he was on the other side of the dude. When he squeezed the trigger and the gun fired he ended up 3-5 feet behind the chair he'd been sitting in. The bang alone surprised the other 2 pretty well, but this dude without the plug was stumbling around with his eyes watering up looking quite dazed and confused for a solid 5 minutes at least. The other two then argued over who had to shoot the last two rounds.

bugman
04-14-2009, 4:23 PM
I used to live in Sacto and one of my funny range experience was at Cordova Shooting center. The range was pretty full one weekend afternoon late 1990's. I was there with my brother and cousin's shooting pistols in 45acp and 9mm. Then 2 lanes down opened up with a shooter leaving, and a group of 3 gangbanger types took it. They were Latino's with bandana's on their head who were previously telling each other how bad *** they were in a few fights etc while waiting for their turn. they were talking loudly behind us while waiting. They put down a .38 snubnose and 2 boxes of ammo. They then proceeded to shoot. First shooter was shooting as fast as possible with all but 2 out of the six bullets hitting low on the target. The fast firing got the RO attention and warning on the speaker. 2nd bad *** went up and reloaded. By this time many other shooters were keeping an eye on these folks. My cousin's and I were just reloading mags just like the guys next to the group. Then 2nd gangbanger shoots the revolver sideways holding it high like you see in the movies and moves/pump his hand forward at every trigger pull. All the bullets went to the ground on a line starting halfway between the shooter and the target with the last round hitting just below the target. One of the shots produced that "twang" sound of a richochet. Its like coordinated movement for everyone close to them (including us), we all the Rmoved away from the bench just even before the guy finished all 6 rounds. The RO and his co-worker came barreling down on them shouting and telling them to put the gun down. The RO proceeded to tell them how unsafe theywere and that they have to leave the range. 2nd shooter argued they were paying customer. The RO told them that the range can kick out legally anyone unsafe or breaking the rules, and then he added with a sneer "What were you trying to do? Help the bullets go faster by pumping your hand at every shot. And aiming with your elbow?" The guy turned red and had this embarrassed look when he notice almost all of us were snickering and others are laughing about the comment. He said something in Spanish to his friends who then bowed their heads sheepishly and took the gun and ammo and left. They were not out of ear shot yet when the range erupted in loud laughter.:smilielol5:

Another story is about a stupid loudmouth who thinks he was the best shooter and he has the coolest gun in the Monterey Laguna Seca range on that particular day. I was shooting there on an afternoon with one other person using a couple of revolvers. Then a group of 4 came in (2 guys and 2 gals) who were Asian looking. One of the guys apparently just bought his Glock and a Kimber 1911. He was showing off to his friends and his GF. They were setup in the 2 lanes beside me in the reactive target section of the pistol area. The Reactive targets were still new then. They just happened to come in before a ceasefire and I was loading mags. Loudmouth went ahead and shot a few mags they already have loaded prior to arriving. Sad to say a lot of his shots missed the target. When it was ceasefire he was justifying how hard it is to hit the reactive targets and all. Then he walks around looking at my pistols and the revolvers of the other guy. When he got back to his group he actually said "Ah just some regular stuff, kinda on the cheap side." Wow! I said to myself. He feels so high up there. Apparently revolver guy heard the comment too and he gave me this "knowing look" and slightly shaking his head. I let the boastful group go ahead and shoot first while I took time to bring out more ammo from my bag and load some more mags. Mr. boastful's friends each tried 2 shots of the Glock. I have earmuff and he thought I cannot hear him. He said. "See this guy is taking time so we won't notice he is also not hitting the target just like you did (to the friends)." Man, that pissed me off. What did I ever do to him to merit such a comment. We don't even know each other at all. Maybe to him I just look like a dumb fat Filipino guy who don't know anything.:confused: I told myself to calm down and just make this boastful man eat his words. I proceeded to the bench to shoot. If you guys have seen the reactive pistol targets at Laguna Seca there is one big round metal thing cut into pie sections that swing independently of each other, with the middle round section also swinging on each own. I loaded my Sig229 .40S&W and proceeded to hit that target one pie at a time and saved the last 2 rounds for the middle round target. I took my time so I wont miss a target and I was successful. Then I picked up my 1911 Springfield V16 Longslide and put a fresh mag of 45super in it. I emptied all 8 rounds on the targets at the far end where there are 4 squares that will swing to other side when hit. I hit and send each one to the other side and proceeded to hit them back to swing to their original position. I was pretty lucky and practicing on the same targets before the group arrived help me not miss anything. The looks on their faces were priceless, with the ladies mouth's open and wide eyes just looking at the targets. I looked at revolver guy and he gave me this wide smile and thumbs up. I then packed up my pistols and moved to the rifle section while the group was still silent. Revolver guy and I happened to pay at the same time on the way out. He said he enjoyed what I did. He said the gf scolded the boastful guy for all the things he said after I left. She pointed out that I was probably able to hear what they were saying all that time.

RT13
04-15-2009, 12:29 AM
Can't say I've seen much funny things at the range except for the usual "trying to be bad ***" talkers and posers. But Iw as at Burro Canyon last Saturday and after an awesome few hours at the rifle range, my friend wanted to do a quick stop by the pistol rnage to shoot his shotgun. There were three guys shooting their pistols and being the usual as I spoke of. Then they start throwing clays by hand up into the air while another empties his magazine trying to shoot the clay target which of course he completely misses each time during his rapid fire. I guess they were just trying to have fun, but I thought it was funny and lame.

ZRX61
04-15-2009, 9:03 AM
Was at APTS a few weeks back with my kid & a cute blonde. We're at the lower pistol range when a squirrel decides to walk between the 25yd & 35yd tagets. I was about to let fly with my M&P 40 when I catch the expression on my dates face..........

Stormfeather
04-15-2009, 9:58 AM
My favorite range story was when this thread got necroed.. .

vormav
04-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Can't say I've seen much funny things at the range except for the usual "trying to be bad ***" talkers and posers. But Iw as at Burro Canyon last Saturday and after an awesome few hours at the rifle range, my friend wanted to do a quick stop by the pistol rnage to shoot his shotgun. There were three guys shooting their pistols and being the usual as I spoke of. Then they start throwing clays by hand up into the air while another empties his magazine trying to shoot the clay target which of course he completely misses each time during his rapid fire. I guess they were just trying to have fun, but I thought it was funny and lame.

my friend likes to throw clays by hand now and again when we use the machines at the range we go to just to keep me on my toes :P

couple of guys saw us doing it one time and had a good laugh, then they started doing it as well

Barbarossa
04-15-2009, 10:40 AM
I was up at chabot a few weeks ago and a gentleman's dog got loose.

They were running a match on range four, and those guys were going to town after they called cease fire. Dog runs out on the 100 yard range, all the way to the back berm and heads left to the pistol range, and then over to the hot range 4.

Took about 15 minutes to catch the dog. Random shootings trying to make a grab for it as it came running by.

I've been there when there were deer on the range as well.

paintballergb
04-15-2009, 10:47 AM
Sometimes, at indoor ranges especially, I really wish I had one (and I know you feel sketch about some people at ranges too). We should have a group buy! :)

I agree. With a lot of the idiots I have ran into at the range (and bullet hole everywhere they shouldn't be) I wish my range made you wear a vest.

SeanCasey
04-15-2009, 12:23 PM
Last time I was at OC Indoor an entire family rented the two lanes to my left. The first person in there entered the range without any ear protection on. I was loading mags and the only other people in there were loading mags as well so the guy comes in and starts setting up. The two guys on the far right lane had some really nice looking EBR (I know OC Indoor allows pistol caliber rifles, and I never got around to asking them what it was). So they loaded it up and then told the guy three times to put on hearing protection because it was going to really loud. The guy just blew them off. So the two guys with the EBR figured they would try creating a happy face while rapid firing. The unprotected guy damn near dropped his gear and ran out of the room just to get a little talking to from the RO.

About 5 minutes later the guy comes in with hearing protection on with the rest of his family. There was some pretty bad muzzle sweeping from them but the RO's got after them and they started behaving better. One younger guy (probably early 20's) sets out one of the large man shapped targets and has what I believe to be his girlfriend shoot. The girl fires one round out of some revolver and nearly drops the gun (not sure where her shot landed, it wasn't on the paper). The guy takes the gun and proceeds to rapidly fire the remaining rounds one handed. The girls were acting all impressed with his shooting. The target was at the first line (5 yard?) and most of the rounds were just barely on the paper. Yep, he was sure cool, at least if he was shooting at me I'd be safe as long as I stood still (I'm not the greatest shooter either, but that is just bad).

One more from that group... The man refered to in the 1st story turns and asks the girl: "Can you get me some ammo?". To which she replies: "What's ammo???". Classic.

Ok one more. OC Indoor, very busy Sunday I had to wait for a lane to free up. So I am sitting there and a man and his girlfriend are waiting to go shooting. They were sitting next to me so I hear some of there conversation. The girlfriend did not seem very pleased about going shooting and was nagging the poor guy. So the guy finally tells her "you always said I never take you, and now I take you and you don't want to do it". Her response is another classic: "Well I didn't know it was real!". I had to really fight to not laugh at that one.

I have to say the RO's at OC Indoor seem to be pretty on top of things and friendly to those who arn't behaivng like a bunch of idiots.

Steyrlp10
04-15-2009, 12:48 PM
This incident was at Sharp Park when it was still open to the public: a guy on my left was shooting a new revolver right out of the box. I didn't pay much attention to him until he finished all six rounds and then started banging the gun on the bench.

I finally realized that he was trying to get the shells out, but he didn't realize that he could push the rod release to empty the cynlinder. I offered to help, but he shooed me away.

Made me take a few steps away from the firing line when he got ready to shoot after the target change!

darksands
04-15-2009, 1:58 PM
I often go to Burro and launch clay with my one-step and once in a while I try to hit it with my handgun not expecting to hit anything but it's still fun. Funny as well.

rtlltj
04-15-2009, 2:12 PM
I just have to post this picture even though this thread is hilarious.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h230/4thpoint/4428_image.jpg

paintballergb
04-15-2009, 2:24 PM
You guys give people crap for not using the search button then you give people crap bringing back an old thread. :confused:

Timberwolf
04-15-2009, 2:39 PM
Was at APTS a few weeks back with my kid & a cute blonde. We're at the lower pistol range when a squirrel decides to walk between the 25yd & 35yd tagets. I was about to let fly with my M&P 40 when I catch the expression on my dates face..........

I know that squirrel . . . I've been after him for weeks . . . he even made an appearence at my last 22 match between stages . . .

Vin496
04-15-2009, 4:18 PM
You guys give people crap for not using the search button then you give people crap bringing back an old thread. :confused:

The point of searching is so your aren't asking a question that's been asked and answered a dozen times in the last week or month.

Your not supposed to bump an old post, because often it creates confusion, as the next posters may not realize that the thread is a year old. Especially evident in current topics or sales threads.

darksands
04-15-2009, 4:56 PM
I don't see what is wrong with bumping this thread even if it is old. There is nothing time sensitive about it and it's the first time I read it a couple days ago and enjoyed it thoroughly.

Bobotheclown
04-15-2009, 4:59 PM
Dude. This thread is hilarious. I never would have read it if someone didn't bump it.

RudyN
04-15-2009, 8:36 PM
This thread is funny. If someone hadn't bumped it, I probably would not have found it.

fliparch
04-15-2009, 9:22 PM
I wasn't even paying attention to the dates...I didn't know most of the threads were 3 years old. Funny stories, keep'em coming, here's mine:

I went to LAGC with two other couples about a year ago. I brought my P226 9mm, my girl rented a Magnum in 9mm, this one couple rented a similar 9mm and the other couple brought their Ruger 9mm and a 10/22.

I don't wait a few seconds between shots so after about 20 rounds through my 226, the first couple (the guy first) was just starting his first 10. He proceeded to load the next 10 rounds and gave the pistol to his wife. I wasn't paying much attention since I was busy with my own target and tending to my girl. I heard about 2 shots coming from the first couple I swear maybe 5-10 seconds in between...I looked over and saw the wife holding her pistol and WEEPING! I came over slowly from behind and told her to put down the weapon and asked why she was crying. She said..."I don't know, I just felt like crying". She proceeded to shoot one more round and she stopped. She said she couldn't stop crying every time she shot off a round.

We laughed after we got out of there and she said she couldn't explain it, so we still have a good laugh every time she asks my girl when we're going shooting.

vandal
04-15-2009, 9:50 PM
First time taking my wife to the range with her new .357. Indoor range. As we are setting up some sketchy looking dudes pick the stall right next to us, send their silhouette target out to 10 yards and start blasting away with a Tec-9, putting rounds everywhere.

My wife sends her target out so it is hanging right next to theirs. Loads up, fires her first shot which goes low. Real low. Right into the groin area of the silhouette target.

The stall next to us falls dead silent. Then one guy leans back, sticks his head around the corner to see who was shooting, and exclaims... "Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeit."

They got kicked off the range right after that. I think they were shooting the target holders, though not intentionally.

Steyrlp10
04-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Thank God I thought I was the only one that did that. Now I don't feel like such a weirdo.

lmao...

bubbagump
04-16-2009, 12:55 PM
1. I was at Desert Marksman with the family shooting on the field with the Trap Bunker. We were rapid firing handguns for Sh*** & Giggles. During a reload session we hear rifles rapid firing on the rifle range. So we challenge them. For about 5 whole minutes, you would hear rapid fire on our range, and rapid fire on the rifle range. You could also hear us all laughing at the end. We never even said hello to the guys.

2. Again, we were at Desert Marksman with the family. My uncle brings out the FN-FAL. The kid sitting in the next lane looks at the rifle, his eyes open wide, and he stares as we pop off the first round. He takes his rifle and moves 4 or 5 lanes down :p

3. Desert Marksman...again...on the rifle range. SQUIRREL!!! You hear a flurry of gunfire. No one nailed the squirrel. Sorry DFG.

4. Angeles with a lady friend. Not her first time shooting a rifle. She had used some Class III rifles when she was a police explorer, so she wasn't shy of my toys. She took a liking to my .270 Model 98. I was spotting her shots. She was shooting off a bipod w/ no rear support. First at 100 yards. Hits it. I'm impressed. 200 yards. Hits it. I'm impressed. Do it again. Hits it. There must be something wrong here. 300 yards. Hits it. Once, twice, three, four times. I'm impressed. 400 yards. She hits it. Lucky shot. She hits it again. Wow.

She is my best friend now :D

tron18
04-17-2009, 8:39 PM
1.) when I first went to the shooting indoor range at the American Shooting Center, I was standing behind my cousin while he was shooting away at the target, then in comes a mother with her two sons and an instructor. I saw the instructor explaining and demonstrating to the guys how to use a handgun. As those guys were firing, the empty casings would fall close to the mother who was watching from behind, but none touched her. However, a minute or two later, I saw one "curious" wandering empty casing fly backwards and fall inside the mother's blouse and maybe even into her bra. The instant the casing got in there, the poor lady started shaking her blouse to get it out, as you would imagine how it must of felt. After that embarrassing event, the mother then spoke to her sons and left the range to be outside to watch from a safe distance.

Jon Se
04-19-2009, 10:11 PM
So here's a recent one. I'm at Lytle Creek today with the entire firing line packed with shooters. During live fire (guns going off all over down the firing line) some guy decides it's the right time to walk out and set up targets. Most people just stopped and stared in shock. To his credit, he was walking down the side of the berm perhaps trying to avoid being shot?

Soldier415
04-20-2009, 6:31 AM
tag

triggerhappy
04-20-2009, 10:03 AM
Wow, that's a new one! :D

When I get more ammo than I know what to do with, I'm gonna try that.

Shawn L
04-20-2009, 10:15 AM
So here's a recent one. I'm at Lytle Creek today with the entire firing line packed with shooters. During live fire (guns going off all over down the firing line) some guy decides it's the right time to walk out and set up targets. Most people just stopped and stared in shock. To his credit, he was walking down the side of the berm perhaps trying to avoid being shot?

I saw this once at Burro, some gangster type and his buddies showed up and the moron started to walk out with everyone shoot. Darwin award.

Norcalkid
04-20-2009, 3:13 PM
These are some great stories. Thanks for bringing this one back to life. I have never seen it before.

Capaholic
04-21-2009, 10:36 AM
My favorite range story was when this thread got necroed.. .
Thanks man that made me laugh pretty good

IDPA4U
04-21-2009, 6:45 PM
I was at a national forest range(no range officer) on the east coast nearly alone one afternoon in the middle of the week when a car pulls up with two unsavory looking dudes. They get out of the car and are just carrying a box of ammo. When they get to the line, one of the guys lifts his shirt and pulls a hi point 9mm out of his waste band. At this point, I'm a little nervous and am watching them out of the corner of my eye as I load magazines.
Then utilizing the classic one handed horizontal firing position from gang movies they attempt to fire a round at an abandoned target and nothing happens. They do some tinkering and start to break a few more safety rules so I intervene and ask if I can give them a hand (I should have left immediately but it was my day off and I just got there...boy was that a stupid decision). "We got this" is their gruff response and then one of them figures out they need to rack the slide. Assuming the same firing position he fires and is hitting the ground about six feet in front of the target. His friend laughs and makes a few jokes and says "give me that, I'll show you how you shoot." He grabs the gun and his stance is far closer to a bad Cop Show's two handed stance only his support hand is way way too high. I notice this but before I can say anything....BANG....F$%^!!!!!!!!! Blood pours on the concrete floor and he wraps his left thumb in his shirt. I offer him some water to wash the wound but his friend just put the gun back in his waste band and they took off. I guess you can't learn how to shoot from the movies and tv...unless its the Outdoor Channel...

12gauge12
04-21-2009, 11:40 PM
I was in the desert last year shooting with some friends of mine. One buddy decides to bumpfire his 1911. The gun is down by his hip, and starts bump firing. All 8 pieces of brass flew up and hit him right in the face. The face he made while getting hit with brass was priceless.

cannon
04-22-2009, 8:10 AM
We sometimes rent our range to different agencies.

I watched a plump middle aged female Postal Inspector practice with an MP5.

Her method was to shoulder it and turn her head to the side and squinch her eyes shut and then pull the trigger.

I also watched a line of Motor cops get qualified for shotgun so they could carry them on their bikes. Imagine this.

The LEO range officer has them load and then begins to lecture them on the course of fire. While he's doing this he realizes that everybody in the line is standing there at portish arms with their muzzle pointed at the head of the offices to their left. :eek:

It's really astounding the difference in various agencies. Some spend the money to keep their people trained and sharp. Others don't and it shows.

arrowestimating.com
04-22-2009, 9:57 AM
I was at the Barnwood Arms range in Ripon and these two guys come in and one of them is teaching the other to shoot. The student is using a short nosed revolver and is shooting a silhouette about 5 yards away. He takes aim 1...2...3 BLAM-DING! Again he takes aim 1...2...3 BLAM-DING! He kept shooting the metal clamp that held the target! He did this with almost every shot! I don't know if I should blame the student or the teacher! Also in the same day about an hour later two older ladies buy a brand new .22 target pistol and proceed to load and fire at a target. My wife was watching and she said they shot a couple of rounds and when it wouldn't fire they starting smacking the gun with the palm of their hand, she was looking down the barrel and smacking it! Luckily someone stopped her. I guess the only good thing was that I was trying to teach my wife some basics and it was a good time to point out what not to do when your gun fails to fire!

hellraiser
04-22-2009, 4:22 PM
i never seen it happen but always trip out on the bullet holes that can only be made by facing the gun in the oppisite direction at the local indoor range...

grammaton76
05-12-2009, 1:37 PM

...or hit GI Joe's Surplus in SD for $75. Personally, I'm of the opinion that everyone ought to wear armor to the range, just in the event of idiocy.

grammaton76
05-12-2009, 1:42 PM
Your not supposed to bump an old post, because often it creates confusion, as the next posters may not realize that the thread is a year old. Especially evident in current topics or sales threads.

Please explain what confusion is being created by keeping funny range stories in one thread? These stories have NO real time constraint, and don't become less funny five years from now.

I would much rather NOT have a bunch of small threads on this subject.

rmasold
05-12-2009, 1:53 PM
btt

Barbarossa
05-12-2009, 2:19 PM
btt

Zero content bumps on the other hand...

Black Majik
05-12-2009, 3:39 PM

Bump, just in case someone on Calguns hasn't seen this thread yet. :D

kajvid
05-12-2009, 3:58 PM
Bump, just in case someone on Calguns hasn't seen this thread yet. :D

I don't know about funny stuff at the range but this bump had me ROLLING!

B.D.Dubloon
05-12-2009, 3:58 PM
Please explain what confusion is being created by keeping funny range stories in one thread? These stories have NO real time constraint, and don't become less funny five years from now.

I would much rather NOT have a bunch of small threads on this subject.

Great, now you ruined everything:D

grammaton76
05-12-2009, 4:30 PM

OH NO... Marketplace is infesting the rest of Calguns!

VacaDuck
05-12-2009, 9:22 PM
Was at the Shooting Gallery in Vacaville a few years ago with my 1851 Navy revolvers. Guy at the counter checks them over and then asks what target I wanted.

When I told him to give me the hostage targets, he got a confused look on his face and said, "What the hell you doin' shooting hostage targets with cap and balls?"

I calmly told him, two heads, two guns and two hands. I then proceeded to show him that there are those of us than can shoot with either hand. One shot right handed to the hostages head and one shot left handed to the bad guys head. Alternate until guns are empty.

He never questioned me on my choice of targets again.

compsoftstation
05-14-2009, 12:50 AM
I wouldn't call it funny but I was next to an Asian couple and the Asian girl was wearing high heels shooting .45. I was praying that her heels won't snap because she could of pumped a .45 into my stand.

Buddhabelly
05-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Last week I was at the range there was this tiny Asian lady shooting a 38 ppistol with a scope on it. 25 yards out and she put a quarter size hole in the 10. I thought... hmmm... I can put a 2, 3" grouping in the 10 without a scope. Then...

At a cease fire, she took her target out to 50 yards, went prone and proceeded to put another round of quater size grouping at 50 yards out. Using a friggin 4.25" barrel 38.

I was humbled.

p0verty
05-28-2009, 2:42 PM
I learned that not all hearing protection is the same...

I was at On-Target shooting and I commented to my friend that the girlfriend of the Bobybuilder guy shooting 5 lanes down from us was hot.
About a minute later the guy in the lane next to them tells me that he can hear every word we're saying and that Bodybuilder guy can probably hear us too!
I promptly shut up. :kest:

Not everyone wears earplugs and muffs at the same time.

GenLee
05-28-2009, 3:03 PM
The funniest thing I ever saw at the range was a friend of mine and I got to the range later in the afternoon. We went to sign in at the "main" range and asked if anyone was up at the pistol range. The RO said no but he would sent a RO up for us. My buddy and I went back up the stairs, got in the truck and followed the volunteer RO up to the pistol range. The RO was driving a get this........ Prius with a single sticker on it, You got an Obama sticker. We laughed all the way up to the range, We were still laughing and teary eyed as we unloaded our gear. This dude must have thought we were crazy as he had no idea what was so funny.

springy101
05-28-2009, 3:20 PM
Second was at the Fresno Police range at 99 and the river about 20 years ago. Was there with a buddy who was Border Patrol (I'm not LEO) trying out my new pistol grip 12 gauge shotgun and we were asked to step aside so a Fresno PD detective could qualify. We stepped back and watched this overweight guy do okay with his primary, but then had to shoot his bug. He could barely get it off his ankle without rolling over sideways...it was quite a sight... Then, he couldn't get it to fire. He finally figured out that his safety was on, but he was so rattled that instead of flicking his safety off, he ejected the magazine by mistake. Problem was, he didn't know what he had done. He kept trying to make it shoot, eventually racking the slide which of course spit out his only round. I remember the range master just stood there shaking his head and eventually picked up his magazine off the ground and handed it to him without a word. I must admit it didn't inspire great confidence in our minds.Now that story had me laughing out loud.

Gator Monroe
05-28-2009, 3:31 PM
The Firecracker during the target set up break trick !:43:

Turbinator
05-31-2009, 6:31 AM
At a cease fire, she took her target out to 50 yards, went prone and proceeded to put another round of quater size grouping at 50 yards out. Using a friggin 4.25" barrel 38.

I was humbled.

You may have run into Vera Koo?

About a minute later the guy in the lane next to them tells me that he can hear every word we're saying and that Bodybuilder guy can probably hear us too! I promptly shut up.

Did the guy who spoke to you have electronic hearing protectors on? If so, then that's why he could hear everything.

Nothing wrong with complimenting another man's woman, as long as it's done tastefully, IMHO...

Turby

Soldier415
05-31-2009, 7:59 AM
The Firecracker during the target set up break trick !:43:
Which would be immediately followed by the "drag the offender out into the parking lot and have the entire firing line stomp a mudhole in his ***" trick

:rolleyes:

BRNRone
06-06-2009, 3:49 AM
Earlier today I saw an asian dude with a rice hat shooting an AK at a range.

joepamjohn
06-06-2009, 9:05 AM
If you could call it funny....I bought a Reminton Rand 1911 .45 at the Pomona Gun show years ago. Picked it up for mere peanuts. I took it to USI in Concord and got ready to see how the old warhorse would shoot. I loaded up the magazine, racked the slide, and hunkered down on the sand bags ready to squeeze off that first round. That was when the gun went FULL AUTO and unloaded the entire clip in about 0.9 seconds. I was luckily able to hold onto it but I blew the shingles off the roof from the unexpected recoil. It cycled so quickly that the only guy that knew about it was the guy next to me when shingles came flopping down in front of his bench. I went back there many times after that and someone at the range outlined the holes in the overhead roof with yellow paint. I snickered everytime I saw them. Bottom line is when you buy a used auto pistol put only 1 or 2 rounds in it when you first try it. The guy I bought this one from had done a hack trigger job on the sear and that is why it went Auto on me.

azn_132
06-06-2009, 8:12 PM

You serious???

DNA
06-07-2009, 1:00 AM
I remember when I first started shooting. Took my brother out to the range. Being that he was a CS fanboy, figured, what's a more appropriate gun than the Desert Eagle in .44mag :D Set up in the indoor range, and loaded a round to see how he'd do, hit paper, hit the 9 no less. So, loaded up the mag stepped back and let him have at it.

While stepped back, I noticed so did everyone else. All firing at the range stopped after maybe the 3rd round, everyone was wondering what the 2 asian kids were shooting :D I guess the noise does distract some people from shooting.

Dan

Plisk
06-07-2009, 1:37 AM
I had a hat-trick one day at Burro Canyon.

It was a pretty fun day, got to break in some new rifles. Got to shoot a .50 BMG, chatting with people. It was pretty fun. My first funny thing, was one of the guys next to me was shooting an older Winchester lever action 30-30. I shot about 8 rounds through it, and then went to hand it back to him, holding it by the handgaurd cept my hand was a little bit too high and the edge of my thumb was getting burned by the barrel. My thumb was kinda touching on one of the barrel band screws and the burn looked just like Pac-man!

The next one was there was a guy next to me, nice guy we chatted throughout the day; he was shooting some 9mm rifle. Not sure what it was, but it looked like a 10/22 but it was shooting 9mm. I'm sitting at the bench while he's standing and his brass kept going RIGHT down my shirt and neck. I kept trying different hat handles to try to deflect it and I finally found a good angle pointing out to the side toward him. Sure it was gangsta-hip-hop, but whatever it means less burns. The brass was deflecting down toward his feet. After the cease fire, he puts down his rifle and turns around and it was just like a cartoon scene with a floor full of marbles. He's slipping and sliding and finally topples over backward over an empty rifle rack. He was ok, but it was hysterical.

The third one involves the same guy from above. A WWII vet came up to the bench next to me with a Garand and a 1911, and we talked for a little while (I was a WWII re-enactor for a few years) and he offered to let me shoot his 1911. Mr. Marble’s brass is still raining 9mm brass down near me. I take a few shots with the 1911, and on the 4th shot it stovepiped with his 9mm shell!

It was a crazy fun day.

oldschool88
06-07-2009, 9:09 AM
Mr. Marble’s brass is still raining 9mm brass down near me. I take a few shots with the 1911, and on the 4th shot it stovepiped with his 9mm shell!

:eek:Dang, what are the chances of that?

Turbinator
06-08-2009, 12:11 PM
I went back there many times after that and someone at the range outlined the holes in the overhead roof with yellow paint. I snickered everytime I saw them.

Seeing your handiwork outlined for all posterity to see (but not know the background behind) is indeed funny. Thanks for sharing! :)

Turby

nemisis1400
06-08-2009, 2:51 PM

I'd totally run an AK dressed like that. You see all those tactical operator types with the high end ar-15s, I'd be the dude with an AK dressed like VC with mag holders made outta bamboo leaves. j/k but rice hats are cool still.

Rekrab
06-08-2009, 3:15 PM
A rice hat would actually be a great way to keep hot brass from going down your shirt >.>

U2BassAce
06-08-2009, 3:47 PM
I brought a friend out to take a basic handgun class at an outdoor range. I had my Kimber CDPII. In this class you shoot 300 plus rounds.

Well my friend was to the right of me and was getting some abuse from my shell casing. Towards the end of the class we were doing 6 shot strings, double tapping 3 separate targets. I got to the point where I could direct my shell casings right at him with a nice little arch, (hitting on the bill of his baseball cap) during one of the 6 shot strings, I hit him perfectly with all 6 of them. The instructor happened to walk behind us at that moment and caught on to what I had done and was just shaking his head as he looked down at the ground. (basically acknowledging I was an idiot, which I was, but it was still pretty damn funny)

It was at that point my friend caught on too and had a few choice expletives to hurl my way as I was dying laughing.

Another one. Buddy had a brand new Kimber. He goes to test it out for the first time. Boom Boom vrooooom. It goes full auto on him and in the process he shoots the ceiling down range. Drywall is falling onto the range. Dust everywhere. So there is an instructor in the range and he looks over to him like WTF are you doing? He says it went full auto!!! Instructor inspects the Kimber and calls BS so he loads up a few more in the mag. Vrooooooooom!!!!! Does it again and more drywall comes down. He was scared shiatless! At that point he says screw this and locks the Kimber up. It went back to the factory for a repair.

IGOTDIRT4U
06-08-2009, 4:04 PM
I brought a friend out to take a basic handgun class at an outdoor range. I had my Kimber CDPII. In this class you shoot 300 plus rounds.

Well my friend was to the right of me and was getting some abuse from my shell casing. Towards the end of the class we were doing 6 shot strings, double tapping 3 separate targets. I got to the point where I could direct my shell casings right at him with a nice little arch, (hitting on the bill of his baseball cap) during one of the 6 shot strings, I hit him perfectly with all 6 of them. The instructor happened to walk behind us at that moment and caught on to what I had done and was just shaking his head as he looked down at the ground. (basically acknowledging I was an idiot, which I was, but it was still pretty damn funny)

It was at that point my friend caught on too and had a few choice expletives to hurl my way as I was dying laughing.

Another one. Buddy had a brand new Kimber. He goes to test it out for the first time. Boom Boom vrooooom. It goes full auto on him and in the process he shoots the ceiling down range. Drywall is falling onto the range. Dust everywhere. So there is an instructor in the range and he looks over to him like WTF are you doing? He says it went full auto!!! Instructor inspects the Kimber and calls BS so he loads up a few more in the mag. Vrooooooooom!!!!! Does it again and more drywall comes down. He was scared shiatless! At that point he says screw this and locks the Kimber up. It went back to the factory for a repair.

Must be tough to be your friend! ;)

operationblackwater
06-08-2009, 5:27 PM
A friend of mine was shooting clays and a bird flew at the same direction of the clay, Well you can imagine the rest of the story, LOL

elrcastor
06-08-2009, 6:19 PM
dead bird?

NRAhighpowershooter
06-08-2009, 6:25 PM
dead bird?

too distracted.. missed both............:p

Peter W Bush
06-08-2009, 8:34 PM
probably one of the most entertaining threads on this forum

Mstnpete
06-08-2009, 9:48 PM
We were shooting at an outdoor range in Issaquah, WA.
Just after a seize fire, as soon as we were about to commence firing about 5
Doe's came out and just looked at everyone. We all looked at each other and was so tempted to pull the trigger. Until the rangemaster yelled "Seize Fire!"
Those Are Not Moving Targets! hehehehe we were so tempted.

Gator Monroe
06-08-2009, 9:51 PM
probably one of the most entertaining threads on this forum

Until some *** clown thinks every range has a parking lot (you city boys crak me up)

compsoftstation
06-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Saw the Asian gangster with his little gf wearing high heels at the range again. This time one of her heel snapped and she shot upwards at the ceiling while I was running away from my stall.

MrClamperSir
06-09-2009, 1:18 AM
I saw a guy refer to a pistol as a "gat" and was promptly asked to leave. That was funny.

Glock619
06-09-2009, 1:23 AM
Went up to visit my brother in tacoma, Washington. Decided to go to a range because my brothers friend had just bought a gun, don't remember what it was. So we all go, dad, two brothers, nephew and friend. Get there and and rent everything we need and a few 9mm handguns. Towards the end of our session, a couple walks in. At the time, we were the only ones in there.
Just as they walk in, the girl is holding her ear muffs when friend and two brothers shoot the 9 and dad shoots .44. Made such a loud bang altogether. I couldn't help but laugh as she scrambled to put them on while doing a heisman pose. LOL. About 30 seconds later, I look over and you could she her shaking through her sweats . Boyfriend didn't even get one shot in when they packed up and left..... She peed herself.

MrClamperSir
06-09-2009, 1:25 AM
saw a guy with a magazine in backwards stuck in his brand new G17

Now that I would have died laughing.

The Wingnut
06-09-2009, 2:45 AM
From basic training:

Some people you just can't teach. One guy while I was going through basic proved this, using himself as the object lesson.

CATMS in USAF basic is short, but sweet and to the point. One day, 10 hours, 5 in the classroom and 5 on the range. They start you off with the 4 rules, then have you collect your weapon from armory stock, and go into the classroom. You're taught firearms basic principles, handling, safety, and range discipline. You're then taught how to field strip, reassemble and function check the M-16. Very simple, very straightforward, if you do everything you're told exactly how you're told it and do nothing that you're not told to do, you'll get it right.

From there, you head out to the range. Roughly 4 trainees each to an instructor(civil DoD employees with a lot of time in their professions), they run you through proper sight picture, sighting in, magazine loading, weapons handling in more detail, how to clear a jam, how to troubleshoot improper function, everything you could possibly need to shoot expert and take good care of your rifle. Again, do everything you're told and nothing you're not, and you'll get it right.

So, after all this, we get to timed firing and qualification. We're happily blasting away, imagining our T.I.'s faces on the targets, and suddenly there's some screaming and yelling down on one end of the line and the rangemaster comes over the loudspeaker and calls a cease fire.

...some schmuck trainee is getting his arse handed to him.

"GIVE ME THAT RIFLE! HAVE YOU EVEN BEEN PAYING ATTENTION FOR THE LAST EIGHT HOURS?! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?! ARE YOU DELIBERATELY TRYING TO KILL YOUR FELLOW TRAINEES?! GET THE HELL OFF OF MY FIRING LINE!"

Turns out doofus had a FTF and instead of running through SPORTS the way he'd had it hammered into his head for the better part of the day, he turned his rifle sideways with the muzzle pointing down the line at the rest of us and started banging his fist on the receiver to try to get a stuck round out of the ejection port.

He got recycled back a week...meaning he'd have to repeat warrior week all over again, including CATMS. Hopefully he got it right the second time.

Air Force: We get the smart ones.

hkusp9c
06-09-2009, 3:32 PM
I'm glad I learned how to do SPORTS through watching magpul dynamics art of carbine :D

ajaffe
06-09-2009, 3:49 PM
Educate the ignorant on what SPORTS stand for please :).

To tack on. I saw a group of asians rent a bunch of rifles and handguns at American Shooting Center. They did all these poses for pictures with the weapons, I finally got irked and said something when I saw one of them pointing the rifle at the camera person, finger on trigger, smiling and doing an asian cheese peace sign with the other hand. That is why I ask for lanes at the ends, that way I can only be shot from one direction.

kermit315
06-09-2009, 5:02 PM
good plan

hkusp9c
06-09-2009, 5:09 PM
Educate the ignorant on what SPORTS stand for please :)

Slap the magazine up
Pull the magazined out
Obeserve the chamber
Replace the magazine
Tap the magazine
Shoot

To tack on. I saw a group of asians rent a bunch of rifles and handguns at American Shooting Center. They did all these poses for pictures with the weapons, I finally got irked and said something when I saw one of them pointing the rifle at the camera person, finger on trigger, smiling and doing an asian cheese peace sign with the other hand. That is why I ask for lanes at the ends, that way I can only be shot from one direction.
Prolly bunch of tourists :D I've seen that a lot too

Plisk
06-09-2009, 5:11 PM
Slap the magazine up
Pull the magazined out
Obeserve the chamber
Replace the magazine
Tap the magazine
Shoot

I thought it was:

Safety
Pop the round out
Observe the chamber
Release the bolt
Tap the F/A
Shoot

NRAhighpowershooter
06-09-2009, 5:13 PM
about 3yrs ago at Chabot.. 100yd line.. big guy about 5'11" 250 or so... wear a PAST recoil pad on his shoulder...... wait for it...............wait for it..........wait for it.............. a .223 bolt gun...........................:rolleyes:
wuss... I was shooting one of my new Garand builds and my Rem700VS in 308.. I could hear the wuss telling his non-shooting buddies to keep and eye on me that I would only probably shoot 20 or so rounds out of my Garand as it has a REAL bad recoil...............:rolleyes:

Electricboy
06-09-2009, 6:02 PM
i was shooting at an IDPA match, and my taurus pt92 ejects straight back. the buzzer sounded and a casing went down my shirt and i was getting burned as i finished the stage. luckily i have a lot of hair so it wasnt to bad.

The Wingnut
06-09-2009, 6:34 PM
As I was taught:

Slap upward on magazine
Pull back on charging handle
Observe chamber for obstruction(and clear if applicable)
Release charging handle
Tap forward assist
Squeeze trigger

Mob
06-09-2009, 7:35 PM
the funniest thing i saw at the range? was last week my uncle and i went to los altos were i sighted in my scope on my a4, when i was at the 100yd i looked back and my uncle was gone. i figured he was watching other people shoot. after a cease fire i go over to his truck were i find him asleep in the bed of his truck.... only people in my family could fall sleep at a gun range(he had ear protection on) lol:p

Peter W Bush
06-09-2009, 9:55 PM
please delete

CmpsdNoMore
06-09-2009, 9:58 PM
Educate the ignorant on what SPORTS stand for please :).

I prefer this method:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=6e1_1196382300

bigthaiboy
06-10-2009, 12:16 AM
I was at Burro Canyon, when I noticed a beautiful nickel plated AK-47 with redwood furniture left on one of the tables. I walked over to table to check it out. The owner (old school Vato in his 40's with the hair net and the top shirt collar button done up) walked over and I asked him about the finish, he seemed displeased and didn't sound like he could converse in English or just didn't want to. I walked away. He proceed to put a huge 50rd banana magazine and proceed to spray the entire range with rapid fire. The air was filled with smoke and dust as everybody stopped and stared. The RO were screaming for him to stop but no-one could hear them with all the noise. The RO ran over by which time he had exhausted his magazine, and asked him what he was shooting at (since he had not put out his own target stand and was indiscriminately spraying downrange in a 50 degree arc).

"Over there" he said waving in the general of the range. You just had to laugh at the ridiculousness of the situation and by the guy's complete lack of range etiquette.

MB260E
06-10-2009, 8:01 AM
A few years ago at Chabot a gentleman brought his brand new (still had tags and packaging) glock and started to set up. At first he had no idea how to get the slide to lock back for target changes so the RO had to help, no biggie... But then I hear the RO telling him in a stern voice "Your gun shoots .40sw! NOT 9mm like you have tried to load! Go get the correct ammo NOW!" I proceeded to move a few lanes over.

Plisk
06-10-2009, 8:39 AM
I remember another time at Burro Canyon, there were a group of guys shooting some handguns. They all seemed experienced, and knew what they were doing. Apparently they had a FNG with them who had never shot before. One of the guys hands him a Glock to shoot, he loaded it and aimed properly and I hear him say "Are you sure I should be shooting the 10mm" The guys egged him on, saying it was ok. He goes to shoot, no bang; not sure what happened if he didnt feed or a light stroke or something but he flinched big time and the muzzle jerked down about 2 feet then jumped right back up! lol

MrClamperSir
06-10-2009, 9:22 AM
A few years ago at Chabot a gentleman brought his brand new (still had tags and packaging) glock and started to set up. At first he had no idea how to get the slide to lock back for target changes so the RO had to help, no biggie... But then I hear the RO telling him in a stern voice "Your gun shoots .40sw! NOT 9mm like you have tried to load! Go get the correct ammo NOW!" I proceeded to move a few lanes over.

:eek:

serkerone
06-10-2009, 9:27 AM
not too long ago there was this latino guy showing off his new ak type rifle to his wife and daughter and when we went of a cease fire he tried to unload his rifle and pulled the bolt back and ended up slam firing a round, he had the " OH 5h17" face and looked his he was about to piss him self

MrClamperSir
06-10-2009, 9:31 AM
not too long ago there was this latino guy showing off his new ak type rifle to his wife and daughter and when we went of a cease fire he tried to unload his rifle and pulled the bolt back and ended up slam firing a round, he had the " OH 5h17" face and looked his he was about to piss him self

That's not as funny as it is scary.

serkerone
06-10-2009, 9:45 AM
That's not as funny as it is scary.

it was pointed down range;)

Beelzy
06-10-2009, 9:46 AM
If you want "funny"........

It was me at an indoor range inserting a mag with .40 ammo into a gun and
having the whole cartridge slide out the barrel upon racking the slide.

Because the mag was supposed to be loade with .45 ammo!!

The look of wonderment on my face was priceless.

mif_slim
06-10-2009, 9:47 AM
had a guy shoot a M44, I guess it was his first time. Small little guy about 120lbs 5'3" and 19-21 years of age. He decided that his first shot was going to be sitting down and shooting....I dunno why, but I knew something was about to happen since he was still fiddling around with the gun as if he wasnt familiar with it yet.

He sat down with both legs in front and his buttocks as the rear support...uh-oh...if it was semi-auto i would of went over and stopped him, but since he only put one round in and its an bolt action, i was intrested in seeing what would happen. Took aim, put his finger on the trigger...aimed, took a breath.. BOOM! the gun pushes him over and he rolls over to his back! Luckly the gun was pointed in a safe direction (up) after the shot.

Anyways, I walked over to him after that and I taught him somethings about shooting and positioning. We had a good laugh afterwards. Bright guy, just didnt know much about guns. :)

Bassxhead
06-10-2009, 12:25 PM
http://g.imagehost.org/0607/1_71.jpg

Joey_H
06-10-2009, 12:38 PM
This was many many years ago at the late lamented indoor SouthBay Range in Torrance. This asian fellow was at the far right side of the range, I was assigned the lane next to him. This guy was firing a very short barreled revolver, judging by the extreme muzzle blast and flash he was popping off 357 magnum rounds. I proceeded to see him hit the floor three feet below the target (maybe 15 feet out), the metal angle iron that protected the clip to hang the target, I even noticed he hit the wall! Remember he was in the last stall next to the wall. I was starting to wonder if I should ask for a different stall when he fired one last round. All of a sudden an eight foot flourescent tube that lit his lane slowly began to dip, it was broken in the middle. The two four foot sections slowly sagged down until they unplugged their ends and they fell to the concrete floor of the range shattering into a million pieces. The guy gathered his stuff and left rather quickly. I'm not sure how the hell he did it, you could not see those tubes directly. They were shielded by heavy timbers so from the firing line you couldn't shoot them. I guess a hunk from one of his ricochets got it. :D

waddachump
06-14-2009, 7:17 AM
Years ago I went shooting with a friend who had just bought his first rifle, a Winchester .44 mag lever gun. I brought along my SKS and Enfield.
After a while he turns to me and says that the Winchester has quite a bit of kick, and asks me if I would like to try it.
I took a couple shots, started rubbing my shoulder, and told that "Wow, that thing really does have a kick to it." I then handed him the enfield and told him he should try that.
I watch as he jacks a round into the chamber,and with the brass buttplate barely touching his shoulder, pulls the trigger.The look on his face was priceless,and the string of profanity was impressive, to say yhe least.

socaldsal
06-14-2009, 2:08 PM
I took a friend out to the range along with one of my 91/30 Mosin's. She thought that since it was one of my "old school" guns it shouldn't kick as much as an M16 (she was prior Army). So we both had Mosin's out and I go through operation of the long gun with her. She takes aim, pulls the trigger, BAM!

She puts the rifle down and starts freaking out, tears coming out of her eyes. At first I thought something bad happened to her like the Mosin having a failure. It turned out the Mosin was fine.

Because of the overall length and awkward weight of the rifle compared to the plastic fantastic M16, she then told me that she had problems seating the rifle. Right as she pulled the trigger she jerked and the butt of the rifle ended up over her collarbone. The stock of the rifle also cut her lip because she was in the middle of saying "Fuc-". Interestingly enough, after a few laughs and hours later when we went to go eat somewhere, she had a penis shaped bruise on the contact area.

jcaoloveshine
06-14-2009, 2:55 PM
I took a friend out to the range along with one of my 91/30 Mosin's. She thought that since it was one of my "old school" guns it shouldn't kick as much as an M16 (she was prior Army). So we both had Mosin's out and I go through operation of the long gun with her. She takes aim, pulls the trigger, BAM!

She puts the rifle down and starts freaking out, tears coming out of her eyes. At first I thought something bad happened to her like the Mosin having a failure. It turned out the Mosin was fine.

Because of the overall length and awkward weight of the rifle compared to the plastic fantastic M16, she then told me that she had problems seating the rifle. Right as she pulled the trigger she jerked and the butt of the rifle ended up over her collarbone. The stock of the rifle also cut her lip because she was in the middle of saying "Fuc-". Interestingly enough, after a few laughs and hours later when we went to go eat somewhere, she had a penis shaped bruise on the contact area.

best range story ever.

you win +1000 internets

Z ME FLY
06-14-2009, 3:47 PM
I had a couple of guys next to me at a range. I'm guessing one guy had probably shot before and the other guy was a total noob. They both was wondering why the glock wasn't shooting. They call the RO over and they had the bullets in backwards in the mag! I have no clue how you would do that but I laughed for a good while.

MR.R
06-14-2009, 5:27 PM

if i were to see that id piss myself!!!!

nemisis1400
06-14-2009, 5:59 PM
When I decide to get an Ak, I'm gonna use the rice hat every time. Hmm, I am gonna get an sks soon so maybe I should get one.

Not really sure if this is really that funny, but one time I was at the range and this total hotties comes in with her boyfriend wearing a beautiful yellow shimmering dress. My friend the a**hat that he is decides that this is the perfect time for him to rent the .460 s&w gun. He fires, she freaks, drops the gun 2ft past the shooting line and both her and the boyfriend trip on each other and end up on the floor. Later as we're returning the handcannon the clerk just looks at my friend, laughs and says,"You're an a**"

dgpilot15
07-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Went shooting at Burro Cayon with the wife. Took the 10/22 up to the pistol range to sight in the new scope. Two gang bangers pull up to the bench next to me with their glocks. They place a clay pigeon 10 yards out and a cantaloupe 25 yards out.
Once the line was hot, they went berzerk trying to hit the 10 yard pigeon.(keep in mind, shooting with the guns sideways, 50 cent style)
All they managed was a cloud of dirt.
Thats right!
10 yards, 2 clips each, nothing but dirt.
After reloading, they commenced firing again. My wife and I were trying to hold back the laughter. It looked more like they were trying to get the gangster shooting pose down rather than improving aim. My wife, feeling sorry for them and a bit embarassed, aimed the 22 over to the clay pigeon and with one shot, hit the target. The vatos stopped firing and high fived each other.
"Yeah! did you see that sh#t!" one exclaimed.
We were both almost in tears.
Hindsight, I guess I should be glad that Gangbangers cant aim and dont take shooting seriously.

Scratch705
07-10-2009, 2:33 PM
and this is why drive-bys have so many bystanders hit.... cause gangsters can't aim. best place to stand in a drive-by is where they are aiming, cause you would be safe... haha

AgentAK
07-10-2009, 2:55 PM
if i were to see that id piss myself!!!!

I have friends that would totally freak out to that!
uhhh, to the rice hat, not you pissing yourself!

Once A Marine
07-10-2009, 4:37 PM
I was qualifying with the M16 at Camp Pendleton the week before an exercise I was participating in. I was in relaxed grooming standards (sideburns down the side of my face to the jawline, more hair on my head than you'd imagine), when the range officer (a crusty CWO3) and a master sergeant stop by. These two were a trip - the CWO blurts out, "What the hell do we have here?!" and the Master Sergeant replies, "I dunno, but he's wearing Sgt Chevrons!" Myself and one of our CWOs explain it, and these guys stuck with us the entire time asking questions about what we were going to do, what it was like, etc.

When they called us to the center of the line to grab ammo, the comments from the unit I was shooting with was hysterical! One young LCpl stated "He must be a Navy reservist in the wrong uniform!".

Desert_Rat
07-10-2009, 8:10 PM
When they called us to the center of the line to grab ammo, the comments from the unit I was shooting with was hysterical! One young LCpl stated "He must be a Navy reservist in the wrong uniform!".

Sounds like that could have been any one of about 10,000 Lcpl's in the Corps.even Me while I was Lance Cooley!:43:

Once A Marine
07-10-2009, 8:29 PM
Sounds like that could have been any one of about 10,000 Lcpl's in the Corps.even Me while I was Lance Cooley!:43:

Roger that. I would have thought the same as a LCpl.

OutbreakPLZ
07-11-2009, 2:37 AM
While I didn't see this event in person, a friend told me this story while I was setting up my chronograph one day:

A guy came to our club's range to shoot and pulled out a chronograph. He was setting up during the cease fire and everyone had already tended to their targets and the whole line was waiting on him. He was fiddling with it and taking a lot of time to get it lined up perfectly. He finally got it set and came back to the line and the rangemaster called an all clear and firing resumed. The man took one shot and hit the chronograph unit straight on and blew it apart. Pieces flew all over the place. When the next ceasefire was called, the guy picked up the pieces of the chronograph, threw them away, packed up and left.

aww i laughed out loud at this one although i think thats really sad...poor dude : (

Turbinator
07-11-2009, 9:03 AM
We were both almost in tears.
Hindsight, I guess I should be glad that Gangbangers cant aim and dont take shooting seriously.

Awesome. How'd they do against the fruit?

Turby

Greg-Dawg
07-11-2009, 9:34 AM
A customer picking a fight with a range master.

mosinnagantm9130
07-11-2009, 11:47 AM
A couple of guys take the bench next to me. They're both roughly 40-50. One is a new shooter, the other not. The 'experienced' shooter pulls out an AR and says "This is what our guys use." Then he pulls out an AK with a 75rd drum mag and proudly proclaims "This is what the Iraqis use!" and proceeds to bump fire down range.

Me being the smartass, I start shooting my K98 and notice they are both watching me. I look over and say "This is what the Nazi's used!" They both looked at me like I was crazy and packed up and left.

Scratch705
07-11-2009, 4:29 PM
haha thats funny, i would have said the same thing if i was shooting.

although i wonder what made them leave? maybe they thought you were a nazi? haha

wksun88
07-11-2009, 11:43 PM
A couple of guys take the bench next to me. They're both roughly 40-50. One is a new shooter, the other not. The 'experienced' shooter pulls out an AR and says "This is what our guys use." Then he pulls out an AK with a 75rd drum mag and proudly proclaims "This is what the Iraqis use!" and proceeds to bump fire down range.

Me being the smartass, I start shooting my K98 and notice they are both watching me. I look over and say "This is what the Nazi's used!" They both looked at me like I was crazy and packed up and left.

LOLLLL that is hilarious, I would have paid money to see that!

Keith92555
07-12-2009, 1:21 AM
First time I had to qualify with a USMC 1911 was a trip. We were stationed at Camp San Mateo aboard Camp Pendleton. It was January and it was cold and humid. We had to hump from the camp to the range about 2-3 miles away with M16s and 45s. I was confident with the M16 but was really nervous about the pistol. We got to the line and the RSO had us lock and load the pistols. I guess it was a combination of the nervousness and the cold, but when they told us to aim I raised my weapon and the barrel was shaking back and forth 3-4 inches. Both guys on either side of me took a step back and kept focus on me. I lowered the weapon and tried again. Still shaking. Now 2-3 lanes on either side have stopped to keep an eye on me. The RO notices and walks over while I was trying to sight in on the target. He doesn't say a word, comes up by my side, takes my hands and pistol in both his hands and lowers the weapon. I looked him in the eye and he says, "I'll just take that for now." Must've scared the pants off my buddies on the line that morning.

After warming up by taking a walk around and getting some Joe, I managed to get a grip and qualify with the weapon. I was still a little shaky but I got through that days firing without freaking any more people out. My first qual was 333/350, so I guess I wasn't shaking too bad. That was with a pistol that rattled when I walked with it in the holster. :eek: That 45 must have been 30 years old and had 10s of thousands of rounds through it.

I have to admit, I still get nervous every time I shoot a pistol. I even get the shakes sometimes while shooting, esp. one handed. But when the rounds go downrange, I tend to hit what I'm aiming at.

modls7
07-12-2009, 1:48 AM
My LEO buddy was all holstered up next to some EOD guys shooting next to us. The EOD guys performed some drills, then my friend tried his...except when he holstered his belt fell off.

It was cutesy

TwitchALot
07-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Next time someone tells you that, let them know your ar-15 is a multifunctional tool.

You can open a bottle of beer with the ejection port.

Trust me on that one. :D

Wait, how does this work? o_O

Turbinator
07-13-2009, 5:19 PM
Wait, how does this work? o_O

I wouldn't do that. You're leveraging glass and steel against your aluminum upper. That's just asking for trouble.. chips in the finish, chips in the aluminum.. Sure, it'll work once or twice... but pretty soon I'm sure something bad will happen.

Stick to using your GI bottle opener :)

Turby

HowardW56
07-13-2009, 7:13 PM
I was shooting at Sharpshooter in Torrance (one day of many) and a guy I know from the range was shooting in the lane to my left... He keeps shooting and his brass flies over the partition and hits me. I started catching the brass, and then after I would fire a round, I would toss one back over the partition... (Right to left) After the third or fourth time I beaned him with his brass, he peaked around the partition to see what I was shooting.... It was a revolver... We both started cracking up...

ANother time there is a fellow trying to show opff for his buddies with his Ruger 44... except he couldn't shoot for ****, he was lucky to hit the paper... After a while I started shooting his target for him, he'd fire a round and momentairly I would fire a round... I'm listening to him about his accuracy shooting head shots and they were all .38 holes, he wasn't even hitting the paper... A couple of the regulars at the range were at the back wall watching me do this and laughing their asses off. the guy had no idea....

TwitchALot
07-13-2009, 7:23 PM
I wouldn't do that. You're leveraging glass and steel against your aluminum upper. That's just asking for trouble.. chips in the finish, chips in the aluminum.. Sure, it'll work once or twice... but pretty soon I'm sure something bad will happen.

Stick to using your GI bottle opener

Turby

Aww... And it sounded like such a neat trick. :p

I was shooting at Sharpshooter in Torrance (one day of many) and a guy I know from the range was shooting in the lane to my left... He keeps shooting and his brass flies over the partition and hits me. I started catching the brass, and then after I would fire a round, I would toss one back over the partition... (Right to left) After the third or fourth time I beaned him with his brass, he peaked around the partition to see what I was shooting.... It was a revolver... We both started cracking up...

ANother time there is a fellow trying to show opff for his buddies with his Ruger 44... except he couldn't shoot for ****, he was lucky to hit the paper... After a while I started shooting his target for him, he'd fire a round and momentairly I would fire a round... I'm listening to him about his accuracy shooting head shots and they were all .38 holes, he wasn't even hitting the paper... A couple of the regulars at the range were at the back wall watching me do this and laughing their asses off. the guy had no idea....

That's messed up... but hillarious nonetheless. :)

randy
07-14-2009, 3:08 AM
Prowler groveling at Yars knees for some parts.

Just kidding that was the second funniest.

MasterYong
07-14-2009, 11:52 AM

Stick to using your GI bottle opener :)

Turby

That's why you keep a bottle opener in the buttstock compartment! It's not like you need parts or cleaning equipment in there at the range!

Turbinator
07-14-2009, 12:47 PM
That's why you keep a bottle opener in the buttstock compartment! It's not like you need parts or cleaning equipment in there at the range!

Better idea - get a grip plug. Put the bottle opener in the grip plug.

However - big picture - no one should be drinking alcohol and handling firearms at the same time.

The bottle opener is only for non-alcoholic beverages!!

Turby

Rekrab
07-14-2009, 1:46 PM
Apparently the report on my Px4 is a little loud.

I was at the gun range on Sunday when a gaggle of girls showed up. They got the run down from the guy up front and were then lead out into the range by the employee.

As he was talking to them I'm loading up my magazine. After I finish I load up and fire. As soon as I fire my first round the whole group of girls scream! From the time they entered the range to the time I fired no one had taken a single shot. I found it amusing, and since I was able to continue making follow up shots I take this as a sign that I won't have to worry about screaming distracting me during a home invasion situation.:)

Seesm
07-14-2009, 10:22 PM
My son and I was at the range, he tried my combat commander 45. He turns to me and say's he doesn't like my gun, he got hammer bit. I told him to shoot lefty, he holds up his left hand and it was bleeding and say's I already did. So I told him he took after his mom with big gorilla hands.

John do not tell your wife she has gorilla hands. My lady would be pissed at me.. :)

GTXR390
07-15-2009, 10:40 AM

only up to post #71, but this is my favorite so far...LoL, only if you had pics, it'd be GREAT!

technique
07-15-2009, 1:01 PM
So a cease fire is called on the range.
Everyone goes down range to post and check their targets.
One guy decided while he was down there he would wonder off to the side and
"take a wizz"
Before he was done...the range was cleared and the go ahead to fire was given.

Hahaha....I bet he also pooped himself when he started hearing the shots.
Anyway he came back into sight waving his arms and the cease fire was called again....there are portapotties at the range too....thats the best part about it.

MasterYong
07-15-2009, 1:49 PM
I wasn't there but a story that I've heard repeated probably 20 times at Redwood Gun Club is of this old guy that always shows up wearing this long drab trench coat. Very WWII-looking.

Anyways, he's old. Real old. So he walks REALLY slow. The range had been closed for probably 10 minutes, and the range master asked "is everyone back behind the line?" and everyone answered "yes!"

No one could see that this old guy had just made it to the target at the 100 yd line. He took so long to get there that everyone else had their targets checked/set/whatever in the amount of time it took him to get downrange!

So the range master opens the range for firing. One guy on the firing line noticed movement out of the corner of his eye and sighted in on the movement...... "CEASE FIRE!!! MAN ON THE RANGE!!! MAN ON THE RANGE!!!"

Apparently the old guy wasn't even fazed- he just casually wandered back behind the firing line with his target in hand, grinning.

I see this old guy maybe every third time i go to the range. I've heard the story told several times in his presence and he confirms it's accuracy. He just laughs.

Almost every time I go to the range, when they open up the 100 yard line again the range master will joke "is there any old farts left down there?" "are you sure? we need to be sure!"

Don't know if that's funny or scary.

Fjold
07-15-2009, 2:04 PM
about 3yrs ago at Chabot.. 100yd line.. big guy about 5'11" 250 or so... wear a PAST recoil pad on his shoulder...... wait for it...............wait for it..........wait for it.............. a .223 bolt gun...........................:rolleyes:
wuss... I was shooting one of my new Garand builds and my Rem700VS in 308.. I could hear the wuss telling his non-shooting buddies to keep and eye on me that I would only probably shoot 20 or so rounds out of my Garand as it has a REAL bad recoil...............:rolleyes:

I'm a big guy (6'2" and 240#) and one morning at 5 Dogs Range, I was shooting my 10/22 wearing my PAST Magnum recoil pad on my shoulder and some guy was standing there laughing at me!

I had my 375H&H and 300 WSM both cooling down under the soft cases after putting about 40 rounds down range through them.

berg
07-15-2009, 4:25 PM
I was reading through some of these posts and am astonished, actually, that some people feel compelled to actually help shady people and gangbangers with their shooting technique.

Some particular letters come to mind, specifically STFU and MYOB

MasterYong
07-15-2009, 4:33 PM
I was reading through some of these posts and am astonished, actually, that some people feel compelled to actually help shady people and gangbangers with their shooting technique.

Some particular letters come to mind, specifically STFU and MYOB

Really?

I read the whole thread and didn't see anywhere that someone felt compelled to help a "gangbanger" improve their shooting.

I see a lot of folks that laugh at the 'bangers.

I see a cop that showed one who can really shoot.

I see some folks attempt to get a 'banger to stop shooting sideways for their own safety, not to help the 'banger because they're worried about poor muzzle control.

If there was a post somewhere that indicated that a CalGuns member was actively interested in improving gangbangers' marksmanship, please point it out to us.

Do you know what "STFU" even stands for? Do you understand that you're cussing out a whole group of people that have done nothing to you? I'm just pointing it out because in most of the forums I frequent, "STFU" is like a last resort... it's just not "dinner conversation" LOL

berg
07-15-2009, 4:52 PM
Really?

I read the whole thread and didn't see anywhere that someone felt compelled to help a "gangbanger" improve their shooting.

I see a lot of folks that laugh at the 'bangers.

I see a cop that showed one who can really shoot.

I see some folks attempt to get a 'banger to stop shooting sideways for their own safety, not to help the 'banger because they're worried about poor muzzle control.

If there was a post somewhere that indicated that a CalGuns member was actively interested in improving gangbangers' marksmanship, please point it out to us.

Do you know what "STFU" even stands for? Do you understand that you're cussing out a whole group of people that have done nothing to you? I'm just pointing it out because in most of the forums I frequent, "STFU" is like a last resort... it's just not "dinner conversation" LOL

It sounds like you are taking my post very personally for some reason. But I'm sure I'm wrong about that.

JerryM
07-15-2009, 5:44 PM
We had an old sergeant in our unit. She must have been in for 25 years or so.

Every time we went to the range, it was fun times for everybody.

After 25 years, it would take over 30 rounds just to zero (mind you it was always her service rifle, so it should have been zeroed already).

But the funniest thing was seeing her try to slam the magazine into her weapon every way but the correct way. Upside down, backwards and upside down backwards.

I broke many a safety paddle hitting her Kevlar with it.

bigmike82
07-16-2009, 9:59 AM
"Some particular letters come to mind, specifically STFU and MYOB "
Thanks for threadcrapping. :-p

Back to topic. Personal story of DOH!

I had this Howa 1500 in .30-06 a while back. I was a novice shooter, and hadn't shoot a scoped rifle in years...just the AR, which has very little kick. So I get behind the rifle, start looking down the scope, and keep moving my head around to get the best picture possible. Unfortunately...I had moved my head a little bit too close to the scope. When I pulled the trigger, the rifle recoiled back against my shoulder and the scope went WHAM right into my shooting glasses.

I get up and walk back to the bench, a bit stunned and thinking wtf. I take off the glasses and notice some blood on fingers, so I go the bathroom to see what happened.

Fortunately, it wasn't a serious injury...simply a small gash between my eye brows where the plastic from the glasses impacted my face.

I think this is what's called a life lesson...a mistake you only make once. :D

Oh, and I gotta give props to ESS eyewear. Those shades survived the recoil of a .30-06 without a scratch. Damn good buy for 70 bucks.

MasterYong
07-16-2009, 11:03 AM
It sounds like you are taking my post very personally for some reason. But I'm sure I'm wrong about that.

No, not personally- I'm just curious why someone would chew out an entire group of people for something that as best as I can tell never happened.

If you're not going to address that, that's cool- just trying to help by pointing out that "STFU" is the equivalent of giving someone the bird in real life. If that's how you conduct yourself then by all means go right ahead. :)

Fjold
07-16-2009, 12:01 PM

I had this Howa 1500 in .30-06 a while back. I was a novice shooter, and hadn't shoot a scoped rifle in years...just the AR, which has very little kick. So I get behind the rifle, start looking down the scope, and keep moving my head around to get the best picture possible. Unfortunately...I had moved my head a little bit too close to the scope. When I pulled the trigger, the rifle recoiled back against my shoulder and the scope when WHAM right into my shooting glasses.

I get up and walk back to the bench, a bit stunned and thinking wtf. I take off the glasses and notice some blood on fingers, so I go the bathroom to see what happened.

Fortunately, it wasn't a serious injury...simply a small gash between my eye brows where the plastic from the glasses impacted my face.

Oh, and I gotta give props to ESS eyewear. Those shades survived the recoil of a .30-06 without a scratch. Damn good buy for 70 bucks.

The cut is called "magnum eyebrow".

Wear a ball cap and adjust it so that if you get too close the bill touches the scope.

Black Majik
07-16-2009, 12:09 PM

I had this Howa 1500 in .30-06 a while back. I was a novice shooter, and hadn't shoot a scoped rifle in years...just the AR, which has very little kick. So I get behind the rifle, start looking down the scope, and keep moving my head around to get the best picture possible. Unfortunately...I had moved my head a little bit too close to the scope. When I pulled the trigger, the rifle recoiled back against my shoulder and the scope when WHAM right into my shooting glasses.

That's funny. I've done that too, not once, but twice, also by 30-06... I didn't get scope eye, the impact was caused by the frame of my eyewear.

So, instead of scope eye two hours in I took off my Oakleys and it looked like I was growing a unicorn on my forehead.

rgs1975
07-16-2009, 4:57 PM
I once fitted a nice scope to my Enfield No.1 MkIII. I was using a relatively junky scope mount that I can't even remember where I got. I sat down, took the rifle out of the bag, popped the caps off the scope, unscrewed the adjustment tower caps, loaded the rifle and got fixed in for my first shot.

The range was pretty busy. The bench right behind me (about 5 feet back) was full of guys taking a break or waiting their turn.

I pulled the trigger and bawham (damn that gun is loud). The scope instantaniously flew off the scope mount, traveled completely over my head (no, it did not hit me) and landed in the lap of one of the guys sitting on the becnh behind me. I had no idea at first where it went.

Totally embarassed I turned around to look for it, fearing I'd see it laying in a pile of glass shards on the concrete pad. I looked for 2 or 3 seconds (which felt like a lifetime) and the guy who caught the scope stood up, smiled and said "Lookin' for this?" as he handed over the pristine scope to me.

I never did get a scope put on that old .303.......

MAC USMC
07-17-2009, 12:58 PM
At the range I saw a rather pushy "instructor" volunteering advice to an older lady. He went through the proper way to hold a pistol, sight picture, stance, breath control -- the whole gamut.

She was very polite to him and thanked him. His target was placed at 10 yards, hers was at 25 yards. After about six minutes, he cleared his weapon , walked behind her and observed that most of her shots were in the "X" ring with none outside the 10 ring. He packed up and left. She is a Camp Perry competitor, a certified firearms instructor and a nice person.

Ninja45
07-17-2009, 3:20 PM
Two funny stories come to mind:

The first one happened to me. I was shooting a 1911 that I put together from parts collected from my frequent gun show excursions. I was on my third magazine, shooting at a steady cadence of bam-bam, bam, bam-bam, bam, when all of the sudden I heard a click instead of a bam, and some pieces of my pistol ejected into the firing line...my recoil plug decided to separate so part of it flew away followed by my recoil spring 10 feet away from the firing line. I told the shooter to my right that I ran out of ammo so I was try to hit my target with other metallic projectiles! hahahaha

Next one: I was at the counter waiting for my range assignment when a man came out of the indoor range holding a stainless 1911 rental in his left hand while his right hand was pressing into a bloody gash on his cheek. He said that something was wrong with the pistol as it caused the bloody facial injury. The range employee asked him what happened. The man said, "I don't know, I took aim, pulled the trigger and wham, the pistol separated and hit me on the face!" We all looked at each other, wondering what he meant. The employee asked him to demonstrate exactly what he did, and the man proceeded to show us all. He took the pistol and took aim, putting the sights an inch away from his right eye with his cheek directly behind the slide (like aiming a rifle)! The group groan from the small crowd was heard across the parking lot.

MrClamperSir
07-18-2009, 8:32 AM
He took the pistol and took aim, putting the sights an inch away from his right eye with his cheek directly behind the slide (like aiming a rifle)!

Wow, I would've liked to have seen that.

Stryfe76
07-18-2009, 9:09 AM
Wow, I would've liked to have seen that.

Thats like the smart ones who try to look through the scope like it's a peep hole with the stock above their shoulder like an RPG.