PDA

View Full Version : Entering CA with a CA legal handgun???

Nate74
06-15-2010, 3:58 PM
My dad retired to AZ about 6 years ago. He'd lived in CA for 30 years and purchased a number of firearms here, that are now with him in AZ. He's also purchased a couple guns there. A CZ82 and a Ruger SP101, both of which I believe are legal here (provided the CZ82 uses the 9 round magazine).

So he's wanting to come for a visit and he mentioned he'd like to bring the new guns along and go to a place he used to take me shooting as a boy out near Barstow.

Can he bring the two guns he purchased in AZ into CA for the visit?

Lucky7
06-15-2010, 4:02 PM
Yes he can bring those handguns as long as he doesn't bring Hi-cap magazines.

Nate74
06-15-2010, 4:08 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. The guys at his local gun store told him some crazy bit about how he needed advanced written permission from the CA DOJ to bring them here.

I know our laws are crazy but I wasn't able to wrap my head around that one...

Lucky7
06-15-2010, 4:09 PM
I have never heard that one before.

Thanks for the quick reply. The guys at his local gun store told him some crazy bit about how he needed advanced written permission from the CA DOJ to bring them here.

I know our laws are crazy but I wasn't able to wrap my head around that one...

Nate74
06-15-2010, 4:13 PM
Thank our friends at Prescott's favorite gun store...

stix213
06-15-2010, 4:44 PM
He should also transport them unloaded in locked cases.

CSACANNONEER
06-15-2010, 4:51 PM
Since he did live here, he can always bring back any +10 round mags that he legally own in California before he moved!

Nate74
06-16-2010, 9:02 AM
He should also transport them unloaded in locked cases.

Good point. I'm quite sure he's gotten used to just tossing his guns in his backseat... over there in that free state.

bwiese
06-16-2010, 9:17 AM
He can bring any guns with him, they do not have to be Rostered.

They just can't be illegal otherwise (assault weapon, Taurus Judge, etc.)
and he can't bring in any hicap mags he didn't own/possess in California before 2000.

He should transport 'em locked/unloaded.

bodger
06-16-2010, 9:31 AM
Yeah, locked and unloaded. I have a friend who lives in Yuma and when she comes to visit, I have to be constantly on guard as to how she transports her guns.
She's uber safe with firearms, but it's hard for free-staters to remember not to carry like they can at home. It's also hard to hear "How the hell can you deal with this s&$*?" all the time:mad:

Decoligny
06-16-2010, 11:31 AM
Yes he can bring those handguns as long as he doesn't bring Hi-cap magazines.

If he bought the handguns in California pre 1 Jan 2000, and they had Hi-Capacity magazines, then it is perfectly legal for him to come back to California with the guns and the Hi-Caps that he possessed in CA prior to the ban.

CSACANNONEER
06-16-2010, 3:59 PM
Good point. I'm quite sure he's gotten used to just tossing his guns in his backseat... over there in that free state.

If he is doing that in AZ and driving within 1000 feet of a school, he is still violating federal law! That law has nothing to do with the state you are in.