PDA

View Full Version : catfish

theseacow
06-15-2010, 2:09 PM
anybody regularly fish for catfish? Where do you go and what is your setup like? I've had some good success fishing for channel cats here in the bay area. Just trying to figure out any new methods to mix it up.

Grof
06-15-2010, 6:43 PM
hahaa got so many on lake beriessa, usualy what I use is chicken liver, or beef meat.
last year got one over 30lb, there is big cats on west side of spanish camp, but you have to pay to go inside,
now lake is very low small creek that was running before boat launching ramp that's good spot ,

HAVOC5150
06-15-2010, 7:11 PM
I fished at the N. end of Lake Berryessa several years back at night and used mackrel as bait and caught a lot of fish, average about 4-5 lbs each. Fun fishing bring a strong light and some good insect repellant. Be careful of the "critters" at the lake.

scotthmt
06-15-2010, 8:30 PM
Where do you go for cats in the the bay? I dont have any great spots, they all seem hit and miss. As for bait i use anythign stinky, i like anchovies personally. I do decent in the delta usually.

theseacow
06-15-2010, 10:29 PM
Where do you go for cats in the the bay? I dont have any great spots, they all seem hit and miss. As for bait i use anythign stinky, i like anchovies personally. I do decent in the delta usually.

i dont fish the actual bay for cats, rather just the local lakes in the bay area. I fish lexington, chesbro, uvas, etc... All located around San Jose.

I have found what works well for me, but Im always curious as to what others are using and how often they are catching and what size the fish are. Im working on a theory that certain baits catch certain size cats only and very few baits will entice cats of all sizes to bite. I just need more input on how others have done.

CMORE
06-16-2010, 12:17 AM
I fished Lake Del Valle a lot for cats when I was in the bay area, only problem is they close at 9pm or 10 if you park outside the gate. Fish the south end or the narrows. Most fish there are plants 1-3 lbs., but you will catch a biggin every now and then. I like to use Mackerel or Shrimp. Just use a sliding sinker with with 1-2 oz weight and about 2-3 ft leader. I like using Khale hooks or circle hooks. With circle hooks you don't set the hook but rather just pull up on the rod so the hook sets in the corner of the mouth. Good Luck

theseacow
06-16-2010, 8:21 AM
I fished Lake Del Valle a lot for cats when I was in the bay area, only problem is they close at 9pm or 10 if you park outside the gate. Fish the south end or the narrows. Most fish there are plants 1-3 lbs., but you will catch a biggin every now and then. I like to use Mackerel or Shrimp. Just use a sliding sinker with with 1-2 oz weight and about 2-3 ft leader. I like using Khale hooks or circle hooks. With circle hooks you don't set the hook but rather just pull up on the rod so the hook sets in the corner of the mouth. Good Luck

I also use circle hooks exclusively for cats. I started using #2 circle hooks a few years ago and you never miss a strike, and they hook themselves. San Jose holds a good number of cats in the 12-20 lb range. I have not tried del valle yet for cats, but a freind of mine has with good success on medium sized ones (8-10 pounds or so).

s-s
06-16-2010, 9:29 AM
Last time we went to Uvas my neighbor pulled in a 15# using a chunk of raw Linguiça. I Got a bunch of big hits using Chicken liver & Linguiça, but I was too slow that night I guess.

theseacow
06-16-2010, 9:45 AM
Last time we went to Uvas my neighbor pulled in a 15# using a chunk of raw Linguiça. I Got a bunch of big hits using Chicken liver & Linguiça, but I was too slow that night I guess.

switch to #2 circle hooks. thank me later.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-16-2010, 10:45 AM
Why not use treble? I use treble with liver and single shank circle hooks with worms or mackerel.

theseacow
06-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Why not use treble? I use treble with liver and single shank circle hooks with worms or mackerel.

I was using treble hooks for a while and I was having a problem with soft bites. I figured the cats were feeling it and sometimes throwing the hook. I still needed to set the hook on them, and still missed bites occasionally. When I started using the circle hooks in the right size I stopped missing bites, and the cats somehow hook themselves.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-16-2010, 10:58 AM
I will give them a try. What brand do you use? I like Eagle Claw or Gamakatsu.

frigginchi
06-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Los Vaqueros is the spot to go :)

theseacow
06-16-2010, 11:07 AM
I will give them a try. What brand do you use? I like Eagle Claw or Gamakatsu.

I believe the brand I've been using is OWNER. I'm only 90% sure of the brand because for the last few years I just walk in and see the correct color packaging and size, and buy it. I change the hooks every trip, and make sure they stay sharp while I'm fishing.

theseacow
06-16-2010, 11:09 AM
here are a few samples of some bay area cats.

theseacow
06-16-2010, 11:09 AM
delete

professionalcoyotehunter
06-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Nice cats. A lot better quality than the ones here. Unless I head to Lake Isabella the cats are all about 4-20# tops.

Shoot-it
06-16-2010, 12:11 PM
Nice fish looks like your the catfish guy.:)
I see some yellow and black bull heads am I right? I use to like identifying them as I caught them.

I think the best eating are channel cat's about 12" to 15" long

Full Clip
06-16-2010, 12:38 PM
Wow -- nice fish.

theseacow
06-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Nice fish looks like your the catfish guy.:)
I see some yellow and black bull heads am I right? I use to like identifying them as I caught them.

I think the best eating are channel cat's about 12" to 15" long

they are all channel cats. Some are male and some are female. You can ID the channel cats easily in this area because of the forked tail.

what setup do you use for your catfish? Im trying to figure out all the techniques that people use.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-16-2010, 12:58 PM
what bait do you use?

1911whore
06-16-2010, 1:19 PM
Where do you get those monsters? What are you using? How are you setting up the pole? Those would surely rip my 15lb test line setup apart.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-16-2010, 1:23 PM
I doubt they would be too hard on 15lb line. I use only 12lb for yellowtail and cudas and thresher sharks.

theseacow
06-16-2010, 2:18 PM
Where do you get those monsters? What are you using? How are you setting up the pole? Those would surely rip my 15lb test line setup apart.

I catch those in San Jose. The rig is similar to the shark rig that I PM'd you, only use a #2 circle hook instead and a 1/2 oz to 1oz sliding egg sinker depending on how far you need to cast. In my experience, the big channel cats will be caught near the deepest drop-offs you can find, or rocky areas. The bullheads will be all over, but mostly in the shallow areas and muddy areas. I use galonggong mackeral for the big ones and other types of mackerel, smelt or worms for the smaller ones or bullheads. I also use 20-30 lb test line, and they still put up a good fight.

Shoot-it
06-16-2010, 3:23 PM
I use the 20 and 30 pound test to .I don't like to mess around and lose a nice fish plus it helps pulling them out of holes and stumps. They will always try to run into them to get away.I fish a river so that's what I have experienced.

I will put a weight on the bottom and just put 2 hooks 12" away just something simple as long as the bait is on the bottom.
I will sometimes try the slider and weight set up.

I am thinking on going out later today all these fish pictures are making want to catch something.

I have an irrigation canal close by and I put in crawdad traps so I can have some fresh bait.

The bait i like is
chicken liver
red worms/ the ones found around dairy's stink and work best;)
anchovies
crawdad tails

jawbreaker
06-16-2010, 8:08 PM
Thresher sharks on 12lb test! You must have small sharks where you fish PCH.

theseacow
06-17-2010, 10:30 AM
no one wants to share their magic setup?

professionalcoyotehunter
06-17-2010, 11:11 AM
Thresher sharks on 12lb test! You must have small sharks where you fish PCH.

They are very skittish and will easily spot 50# test in the water. You just have to play them a while to get them to the boat. I have not caught any monsters yet but I have hooked in to a few.

SexPistol
06-17-2010, 11:17 AM
Nice cats! Steven's Creek Reservoir in Cupertino has cats ranging from 12 inch to those monsters you posted. They hit off hot dogs, chicken skin, soap, liver, stink cheese, basically anything. But I've had the best luck with those. I run a swivel at the top then run 2 hooks in between that and a 4 oz sinker at the bottom that is connected by another swivel. And I give myself about 7" between the hooks.

theseacow
06-17-2010, 11:38 AM
Nice cats! Steven's Creek Reservoir in Cupertino has cats ranging from 12 inch to those monsters you posted. They hit off hot dogs, chicken skin, soap, liver, stink cheese, basically anything. But I've had the best luck with those. I run a swivel at the top then run 2 hooks in between that and a 4 oz sinker at the bottom that is connected by another swivel. And I give myself about 7" between the hooks.

4oz is a lot of weight for the cats to feel not on a slip sinker setup. How often do you get missed bites with this setup? Sounds interesting since you could chuck that much weight way out there in good spots.

gunnerdan
06-17-2010, 12:02 PM
where's a good place in the south bay to start that allows night fishing? i am in san jose

i don't need the biggest cat but with bass fishing slowing down i'd like to try something different

theseacow
06-17-2010, 12:12 PM
where's a good place in the south bay to start that allows night fishing? i am in san jose

i don't need the biggest cat but with bass fishing slowing down i'd like to try something different

The easiest way to do night fishing for cats is at chesbro reservoir. You can fish all night there and they have cats of all sizes. There are other options, but chesbro is the easiest to get started with.

paul0660
06-17-2010, 12:28 PM
I am more of an eater than a fisher........with a question. I have eaten a lot of other people's fresh catfish here and it always tastes........like it eats mud. I was in Louisiana a couple years ago and ate a lot of catfish, and it was definately different, really just a tasty whitefish. I have always wondered why. Variety? Or as one Louisianan suggested, their catfish eat mostly krill?

gunnerdan
06-17-2010, 1:27 PM
The easiest way to do night fishing for cats is at chesbro reservoir. You can fish all night there and they have cats of all sizes. There are other options, but chesbro is the easiest to get started with.

thanks for the tip.

going to have to pull my pistol out of the closet to go there. every time i go to chesbro for bass i see all kinds of animal carcasses picked clean by coyotes, raccoons, and chupacabras. lol

any tips for day/early evening catfishing? again, not necessarily looking for the secret spots with the fatties. i hear cunningham is good because they plant a lot. bummer is they close at 8

theseacow
06-17-2010, 1:41 PM

lol, that pic makes it look a little bigger than it actually is.

theseacow
06-17-2010, 1:43 PM
I am more of an eater than a fisher........with a question. I have eaten a lot of other people's fresh catfish here and it always tastes........like it eats mud. I was in Louisiana a couple years ago and ate a lot of catfish, and it was definately different, really just a tasty whitefish. I have always wondered why. Variety? Or as one Louisianan suggested, their catfish eat mostly krill?

Im not sure on the answer. Ive had store bought catfish and it tasted muddy like you described, and ive also had other peoples catfish and it tasted bad as well. In some of the fresh water lakes in this area the catfish Ive got taste pretty good. My wife wont touch bad tasting fish but she eats up fried catfish that I catch and goes for seconds.

SexPistol
06-17-2010, 6:23 PM
4oz is a lot of weight for the cats to feel not on a slip sinker setup. How often do you get missed bites with this setup? Sounds interesting since you could chuck that much weight way out there in good spots.
I never miss a bite unless they were just tasting it and the hook didn't set. I also always keep a bell at the end of my rod so it picks up the slightest vibrations in the line.

Bearclaw
06-17-2010, 7:20 PM
I believe the brand I've been using is OWNER. I'm only 90% sure of the brand because for the last few years I just walk in and see the correct color packaging and size, and buy it. I change the hooks every trip, and make sure they stay sharp while I'm fishing.

I'm going to have to try the circle hooks...I've always used trebels. But whenever I can find the one's I'm looking for I buy OWNER hooks. Black and Red label. They are premium quality, but they are a little spendy. To me it's worth it.

Blue
06-17-2010, 7:29 PM
I've been heading up to Del Valle and doing some trout fishing, and have seen a bunch of people with cats. My kid has been dying to give catfishing a shot, does Lexington still have any fish in it with all of the work thats been going on lately?

theseacow
06-17-2010, 8:53 PM
I've been heading up to Del Valle and doing some trout fishing, and have seen a bunch of people with cats. My kid has been dying to give catfishing a shot, does Lexington still have any fish in it with all of the work thats been going on lately?

lotsa bass. the catfish are still recovering however...

theseacow
06-17-2010, 8:57 PM
I never miss a bite unless they were just tasting it and the hook didn't set. I also always keep a bell at the end of my rod so it picks up the slightest vibrations in the line.

im going to try this just so i can cast twice as far and hit new spots and see how well it works.

scotthmt
06-17-2010, 10:27 PM
for eating cats, try soaking them in milk for a few hrs up to a day, this is what people do with leopard sharks as their meat has urea in it, and they claim it works great. Ive done it with cats and it kills that fishy taste

Bearclaw
06-18-2010, 8:06 AM
I've NEVER had a catfish that had a fishy taste. And I've been eatin' them since I was 6 or 7 years old. Actually catfish is one of the mildest tasting fish I've eaten, probably behind talapia.

SexPistol
06-18-2010, 10:55 AM
im going to try this just so i can cast twice as far and hit new spots and see how well it works.
Good man.. I was skeptical about the heavy weight at first when my uncle showed me this rig but it works great if you know the lake and those deep beds they like to be in.

for eating cats, try soaking them in milk for a few hrs up to a day, this is what people do with leopard sharks as their meat has urea in it, and they claim it works great. Ive done it with cats and it kills that fishy taste

Exactly.. Milk works well but butter milk is the best.

HokeySon
06-18-2010, 11:55 AM
On the lower Colorado River (particularly the old channel) by my place, the cat fisherman are using live gold fish and blue gill to bring in big flat heads. Supposedly, a former state record was pulled out just up river from my place on the old channel. haven't done it myself.

delisle
06-18-2010, 12:20 PM
My best rig is the #2 round hook tied off at the end of my line, then go back from the hook about 12 inches and add a weight (depending on the strength of line) and then add a worm that has been treated in garlic.

Garlic worm recipe: Get a carton of worms the day before you go fishing. Open up the container and add two heaping spoonfulls of minced garlic to the carton. Mix. Then place the carton back in the refrigerator to "marinate." Take the worms to your favorite fishing destination and fill up the ice chest with keepers.

BigJB
06-18-2010, 1:08 PM
I doubt they would be too hard on 15lb line. I use only 12lb for yellowtail and cudas and thresher sharks.

yellowtail on 12 pound? :eek:

professionalcoyotehunter
06-18-2010, 1:26 PM
It is not easy but I did forget to say that I use a 25# steel leader also so they dont chew through it. That way the fish at least have a chance.

BigJB
06-18-2010, 1:42 PM
It is not easy but I did forget to say that I use a 25# steel leader also so they dont chew through it. That way the fish at least have a chance.

ARe we talking about the same Yellowtail? In the saltwater? The ones I catch don't have teeth really to chew through anything, but will drag 40 pound line into the rocks and kelp all day long, steal leader wont help.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-18-2010, 1:44 PM
they are pretty abrasive. Not as bad as a cuda of course.

jawbreaker
06-27-2010, 7:57 AM
Went out to Lake Hodges this morning and caught a few, my son caught a nice 8 pounder and all the fish were caught in less than an hour and we were back home by a little after 7am.
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/ronhuberts/catfish6-10004.jpg
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/ronhuberts/catfish6-10002.jpg
Thanks for looking, Ron

theseacow
06-27-2010, 10:09 AM
Went out to Lake Hodges this morning and caught a few, my son caught a nice 8 pounder and all the fish were caught in less than an hour and we were back home by a little after 7am.

niiice job! what setup did you use?

acourvil
06-27-2010, 2:26 PM
I haven't been for a while, but the setup that worked best for me was a #2 hook loaded with chicken livers and no weight at night. I used 12 or 14 pound fluorescent line and had a black light running so that the line above the water glows for easy visibility. That setup was good for lots of 3-8 pounders, with an occasional fish in the 10-12 pound range. I usually looked for a flat area near a drop-off.

What's your bait theory?

jawbreaker
06-27-2010, 5:08 PM
niiice job! what setup did you use?

15# test mono on a calcutta and some bait hooks, no weight fly lined about 5-20 feet from shore. I will definately be getting some circle hooks before next weekend because they swallow the hook pretty fast.

elevated
06-28-2010, 11:06 AM
I drift fish the aqueduct...if your near it...12-15# line with a 10# fluro top shot. 1/0 hook with liver/dines/chovies. Small spilt shot 1-2 feet above the hook, cast into the middle of the duct and walk along the banks as your bait drifts down the concrete river. The duct has to flowing pretty good though.

Fireguy
09-01-2010, 5:09 PM
Good input. I haven't been cat fishing in 40 years, My Grandma used to cook them so well. I couldn't get enough. Now I can't remember how she did it. I can't even remember how to skin them, it's tough being a senior citizen.

rg_1111@yahoo.com
09-01-2010, 8:36 PM
You can get the mud taste out. Putting the catfish live in the bathtub with fresh water. Leave them in tub for 8 to 10 hours. Or use a wash tub.

I fish the Sacramento River or the Deep water channel. I use a sliding sinker with a Eagle Claw hook. Sardine's or crawdad's.

Agent Tikki
09-02-2010, 1:59 PM

Farmed Cats have a much cleaner taste, it depends on where the cats been living!

gdr_11
09-02-2010, 2:44 PM
Who can have a thread about catfish without this pic?
http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk25/gdr_11/kitty.jpg

theseacow
09-02-2010, 3:04 PM
Who can have a thread about catfish without this pic?

PCH would have no problem landing that on 8 lb test mono.