PDA

View Full Version : OLL rifle storage. Mag in or out?

safaridave
06-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Hey all,

Again, another issue that has probably been discussed ad nauseam. What are the best practices for storing my OLL rifle with mag-locks? I want to take out the mags, but in a worst case scenario it may not look good to some of our well-meaning but underinformed public servants.

Any advice? I would really like to be a safe as possible, but on the same hand do not wish to be a guest of the state for any amount of time.

Thanks!

Untamed1972
06-15-2010, 12:33 PM
There have been reports of issues arising for people when the mag was removed because LEOs deemed that to mean it had a detachable magazine even though the mag needed to be removed by use of a tool. Which of course is incorrect.

But to avoid annoying hassles I always store and transport with a 10/10mag inserted. Just seems like the simplest thing to do in the event of LE contact.

CHS
06-15-2010, 12:34 PM
I usually transport with a magazine in the well for the least possible headache.

Stored at home, not usually, unless the mag is serving a purpose like loaded for self-defense or acting as a dust plug.

ke6guj
06-15-2010, 12:34 PM
there is no requirement that it be stored mag-in, but as you mentioned, someone that is ignorant of what the law actually means could give you some grief. Your choice.

turbogg
06-15-2010, 12:36 PM
I would store it in a safe, with 10 round mag in the magwell.

thevic
06-15-2010, 12:42 PM
hmm im going to start transporting with an unloaded mag inserted

383green
06-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Like others have posted, I store/transport mine with a 10rd mag installed just to reduce the chance of drama. I also install a chamber safety flag to show that the rifle is unloaded. There are several different styles available; this is the kind that I prefer:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=535054

http://media.midwayusa.com/ProductImages/Large/535054.jpg

It works nicely with my AR-pattern rifles (and other guns, too), and the tip of the part that goes into the chamber is a convenient tool for operating the bullet button.

Whether you leave the magazine installed or not during range breaks is up to the whim of the range officer, depending on whether they (incorrectly) think that an open magwell is illegal, or know the law and want to see that open hole in the bottom. I've generally left the magazine in and installed the flag, until I got hollered at by a range officer who wanted the magazine out.

stix213
06-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Just like everyone else, I always transport with an empty 10/10 mag in. I also keep a mag in at home in the safe.

stag1500
06-15-2010, 1:20 PM
I keep my Colt 9-rd magazines inserted while storing my rifles. That's because I don't want to ever misplace them and then spend hours looking for them. Life is already challenging enough. :D

CEDaytonaRydr
06-15-2010, 2:32 PM
10 rounder in the well...

Always, every time!!!

franklinarmory
06-16-2010, 6:29 AM
Just last week I discussed this matter with an DOJ official. His initial contention was that a Bullet Button equipped AR is an AW when the magazine is removed. After a couple of minutes of explaining the wording between detachable and attachable and other fine points found on the Calguns website, I think I actually might have convinced him of the plausibility of my argument. Of course when I mentioned that Jason Davis reviewed our Safety Manual, including the section on how to load the firearm, it sealed the debate.

...Bottom line... If some very astute DOJ folks have not been briefed on this issue yet, can you imagine how few patrol officers have a clue on how to handle it. I would leave the 10 round magazine in place, but when I got to the range, I would not have any qualms about dropping the magazine to reload.

bootcamp
06-16-2010, 8:06 AM
what they said.

Ron-Solo
06-16-2010, 6:33 PM
I always store and transport with an empty 10 rounder in it, and I'm a LEO.

Sadly, some of my brother & sister officers are not properly informed.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Lead-Thrower
06-16-2010, 6:40 PM
I transport with 1 10 rounder in the well, and no spare mags. I think spare mags show intent to change mags, and show that you somehow have a detachable magazine rifle. This way I am covered.

stix213
06-16-2010, 7:06 PM
I always store and transport with an empty 10 rounder in it, and I'm a LEO.

Sadly, some of my brother & sister officers are not properly informed.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I think this response says everything we need to know.

Cali-Shooter
06-16-2010, 7:08 PM
Keep an empty 10 round magazine in the magwell

plan-b
06-16-2010, 7:22 PM
Heck, keep the 10-rounder in and separate the upper & lower. Takes an extra 3 seconds if you're that worried.

RobG
06-16-2010, 9:02 PM
I store without and transport with one, if I remember. A mag in the well isn't going to definitively deter an ill informed LEO from giving you grief.

Anchors
06-16-2010, 9:13 PM
I think this response says everything we need to know.

Agreed, even a fellow officer is weary of his colleges. I don't blame them though, we can all agree that the AW laws here get really dicey even for an LEO and I have had to spend countless hours reading up to be somewhat educated on them. (as I'm sure you all have too.)

Heck, keep the 10-rounder in and separate the upper & lower. Takes an extra 3 seconds if you're that worried.

And technically, if the upper and lower are separated you don't even need a mag-lock since:
1. The lower becomes a long arm that is neither center-fire or semi-automatic.
2. The upper becomes a part and constructive possession is not illegal in CA (as far as my understanding.)

But on the safe side, I will probably transport separated with mag in to avoid hassle and so I can fit the rifle in a smaller case (well a shorter, wider one. Think more square than rectangular.)

VW*Mike
06-16-2010, 9:46 PM
the only time my 10 rounder is out of the mag well is when it is being cleaned, or reloaded.

BigDogatPlay
06-16-2010, 9:50 PM
I both store and transport with an empty 10 round mag inserted. Not a 10/20 or 10/30, but a stubby little 10 rounder. No quibbling over capacity on that. My goal is zero hassle and so far it has worked just fine.

RomanDad
06-16-2010, 9:56 PM
Just as a thought experiment- What would everybody say if the gun had a 10 round magazine BODY only inserted.... No spring.... No follower?

Ive got a couple of crappy ones Lying around and am thinking of using them for this sole purpose.

VW*Mike
06-16-2010, 9:59 PM
Just as a thought experiment- What would everybody say if the gun had a 10 round magazine BODY only inserted.... No spring.... No follower?

Ive got a couple of crappy ones Lying around and am thinking of using them for this sole purpose.

you sir, have just created a black hole in the universe and I have a headache.......

Anchors
06-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Then you have a mag body inserted and not a magazine.
Which I guess makes it a fixed magazine weapon (fixed to 0 capacity.)

RomanDad
06-16-2010, 10:12 PM
you sir, have just created a black hole in the universe and I have a headache.......

Sorry. :o

racky
06-16-2010, 10:24 PM

that is one of the greatest lines ever

odysseus
06-16-2010, 10:44 PM

x/0

Oh noes!!!

hnoppenberger
06-16-2010, 11:06 PM
+1 to the mag in the mag well. This should not be a problem at a range, simply tell the range officer its a fixed mag, that should end that with a chamber flag or open action.

1-shot-1-kill
06-17-2010, 1:11 AM
this all depends on were you live and the cop that you have to deal with
i always did empty 10 round mag with bb in it
till i got pulled over the cop hassled me for over an hour telling me it needs to have a ca cable lock through it so that a mag cannot be inserted as it was it could be loaded by popping the rear pin and loading it
now i just use a mag body no guts or floor plate with cable lock i dont want to put up with local pd again

bwiese
06-17-2010, 1:13 AM
this all depends on were you live and the cop that you have to deal with
i always did empty 10 round mag with bb in it
till i got pulled over the cop hassled me for over an hour telling me it needs to have a ca cable lock through it so that a mag cannot be inserted as it was it could be loaded by popping the rear pin and loading it
now i just use a mag body no guts or floor plate with cable lock i dont want to put up with local pd again

Do you have officer name and badge number?

It can be kinda fun calling them at home on their day off about specific incidences :)

bwiese
06-17-2010, 1:14 AM

No worries. Whatever floats your boat.

Since the BB-maglocked AR is legal with an open mag well and no mag installed (duh, it has to be, to allow legal reloading) it's just as legal with some "spacefiller" of some sort - including your scrap metal.

You just have a single-shot rifle.

Seesm
06-17-2010, 1:41 AM
Do you have officer name and badge number?

It can be kinda fun calling them at home on their day off about specific incidences :)

Thats the Bill we know and LOVE... I personally transport with a SHORT 10 rd mag in it... Just KNOW it is clear what my intentions are... I do not need nor want to deal with anyone dumb enough to think I have a detachable mag rifle... Just not worth the HASSLE...