PDA

View Full Version : Help me appraise Smith & Wesson revolvers for California Sale

CaliSurf
06-15-2010, 11:48 AM
Hi everyone. This is my first post in this forum, so I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this, but the heading says "California Handguns" and this is a California-specific question.

My uncle just passed and left me his Smith & Wesson revolvers. I am really not a handgun guy (I collect WWII rifles), and a friend told me that these guns are worth a lot more in California than other parts of the country. Since I am about to move to Texas, I figured I might as well sell them before I go, since they are grandfathered in to California and probably not worth much elsewhere in the country.

I have a buyer all lined up -- but I don't know how much to ask for. If anyone can help me out with a rough appraisal of what I should expect to ask for these guns, I would appreciate it. I really don't want to get ripped off and I'm not looking to cut any "good deals for a friend." My buyer is also not expecting any sort of discount for buying them in a lot vs. individually. For reasons I cannot disclose, they will pretty much pay whatever I ask. I want an honest market appraisal so I can tell him "if you don't buy them, I can take them to market and easily get X" I'm not looking to rip off my buyer by overcharging him or leave money on the table, either.

Model 27-2, fired maybe once or twice, faint turn ring, original presentation box and papers. Blue and pristine. 6inch barrel

Model 66-2 Stainless with high polish 4 inch barrel

Model 640 no dash concealed hammer Unfired in box

Model 681-1 Note says in original box says fired three full cylinders only (18 shots)

Model 36 no dash, 2.5inch barrel blue round butt

Model 17-6 4-inch barrel this is a Model 17 with Model 18-length barrel? Also weird is it has full underlug like a Colt Python.

Model 19-2 2.5inch barrel round butt, the only gun with visible wear, minor holster wear on muzzle and trigger guard.

I thank you for your help. I am NOT looking for offers. I am not looking for emails that say "if you decide to sell to someone else, please email me." Right now I am just looking for an honest appraisal because I have no idea what California pricing should be. All the guns are either barely fired or look it. No locks, these are classic Smiths that have been mostly safe queens. All have wood S&W grips - not sure if each are the original grips, but each set is exotic high-end factory-made wood also in A+ condition.

Black Majik
06-15-2010, 11:52 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. In this case, pictures would really help including all items included (such as papers, box, cleaning kit etc...)

Also, you would want to put a modest percentage based in wear and condition. It'll give everyone a better idea on how much each gun is worth. Look for posts by trashman, or mickey d in this thread since they definitely hoard all the S&W revolvers in Norcal and can give you a pretty accurate price range.

Good luck.

CaliSurf
06-15-2010, 1:59 PM
The 27-2 is in 99% condition, has only been fired the test shots and less than 10 rounds. Looks mint.

The rest are 97-99%. All have perfect finishes, were lightly shot, if at all, were mostly babied and stared at by my uncle, who only took them out of the safe to show them off. The 19-2 has holster wear and is 90% finish. The rest have been very well preserved. Barrels are perfect. Definitely on the higher end for each model. The only camera I have access to is a celphone/iphone and i'm not sure the photos would help beyond my description. I realize these are not exactly rare models, but I also know S&W collectors in CA are always looking for drool-worth 27-2 with box/papers/tools, the 640 is desirable everywhere and this is nolock/unfired, and the others are at least no-lock in a state that doesn't allow other 1970s/1980s vintage six-shooters in.

Thanks again in advance for any help. I'm not going to print out the prices folks here quote and take that to my buyer, per se, but I just want to know what ballpark I should be thinking about.

psssniper
06-15-2010, 3:05 PM
Since this is an all profit deal for you
and since these are not being offered to the CalGuns community
and since you have your buyer "all lined up",
I'd say go pay for the appraisal instead of trying to milk Calgunners for your due diligence ;)

dfletcher
06-15-2010, 3:42 PM
My uncle just passed and left me his Smith & Wesson revolvers. I am really not a handgun guy (I collect WWII rifles), and a friend told me that these guns are worth a lot more in California than other parts of the country. Since I am about to move to Texas, I figured I might as well sell them before I go, since they are grandfathered in to California and probably not worth much elsewhere in the country.

I have a buyer all lined up -- but I don't know how much to ask for. If anyone can help me out with a rough appraisal of what I should expect to ask for these guns, I would appreciate it. I really don't want to get ripped off and I'm not looking to cut any "good deals for a friend." My buyer is also not expecting any sort of discount for buying them in a lot vs. individually. For reasons I cannot disclose, they will pretty much pay whatever I ask. I want an honest market appraisal so I can tell him "if you don't buy them, I can take them to market and easily get X" I'm not looking to rip off my buyer by overcharging him or leave money on the table, either.

Model 27-2, fired maybe once or twice, faint turn ring, original presentation box and papers. Blue and pristine. 6inch barrel

Model 66-2 Stainless with high polish 4 inch barrel

Model 640 no dash concealed hammer Unfired in box

Model 681-1 Note says in original box says fired three full cylinders only (18 shots)

Model 36 no dash, 2.5inch barrel blue round butt

Model 17-6 4-inch barrel this is a Model 17 with Model 18-length barrel? Also weird is it has full underlug like a Colt Python.

Model 19-2 2.5inch barrel round butt, the only gun with visible wear, minor holster wear on muzzle and trigger guard.

I thank you for your help. I am NOT looking for offers. I am not looking for emails that say "if you decide to sell to someone else, please email me." Right now I am just looking for an honest appraisal because I have no idea what California pricing should be. All the guns are either barely fired or look it. No locks, these are classic Smiths that have been mostly safe queens. All have wood S&W grips - not sure if each are the original grips, but each set is exotic high-end factory-made wood also in A+ condition.

Sounds like my gun closet and under the assumption they're as clean as mine and with a "won't sit on the shelf forever, but not too much $$$ left on the table" here goes ....

27-2 $650.00

66-2 $495.00

640 $425.00

681 $550.00

36 (2" bbl, not 2.5") $395.00

17-6 sorry, no idea

19-2 $525.00

Am guessing quite a bit on the 681, that's the only one of the above I don't have aside from the 4" 17. I would add that this includes factory original grips and of course defer to others with better info - might be best to wait a day for others to jump in. These would be PPT prices and not what you'd get selling to a gun store for resale.

freonr22
06-15-2010, 3:54 PM
Gunbroker?

psango
06-15-2010, 4:04 PM
If your buyer fails to pay off. You could sell them here on Cal-Guns. I'm sure there are many members who would be interested in them. Pictures, including boxes and accessories make it much easier to assign a correct value.

ZirconJohn
06-15-2010, 4:20 PM
Would you have decided to sell here on CalGuns... I would have been happy to assess your inheritance of firearms ware.

Very sorry for loss of your family, your uncle...

I have 'on-line' subscription with Bluebook of Gun Values; up-dates prices monthly. However, as we know... firearms are only worth what one is willing to pay. Blue Book is a good price starting platform with relevent detail, and history.

You are correct, values are a tad higher in CA, especially for firearms [handguns] NOT on the CA list of firearms approved for sale.

We help each other here on CGN for common good. Giving you valid prices; only for you to sell elsewhere, is not a common good.

jd

Malthusian
06-15-2010, 4:20 PM
You would probably get more here on Calguns selling them individually
Also meet allot of really nice people too

dunndeal
06-15-2010, 6:10 PM
I'd say go pay for the appraisal instead of trying to milk Calgunners for your due diligence ;)

Ditto.

If you offer them up here you'll probably get more.

sd joe
06-15-2010, 7:59 PM
Do not use an auction. I recently sold a 200+ gun collection and they went at wholesale pricing. You have a small collection, take your time and get what they are worth.

xXBigJoeXx
06-16-2010, 9:50 AM
Bite the bullet and pay for an appraisal.........

BigDogatPlay
06-16-2010, 10:17 AM
We help each other here on CGN for common good. Giving you valid prices; only for you to sell elsewhere, is not a common good.

Agree 100%... as someone who covets fine S&W revolvers and will spend to keep the best ones in California where we can enjoy them, I'd have to recommend you visit a local FFL and get an appraisal.

Mr. Beretta
06-16-2010, 12:12 PM

+1...........

kurac
06-16-2010, 1:54 PM
I would price them like this

27-2 $750.00

66-2 $550.00

640 $500.00

681 $650.00

36 (2" bbl, not 2.5") $450.00

17-6 $600

19-2 $450.00

Malthusian
06-16-2010, 2:59 PM
I have the 66-1
I have listed a value of $550 in my ledger
I have the 27-2
I also have a value of $750 in my ledger

Pretty good numbers kurac!

Out of curiosity what would you list a 29-3 at? (8-3/8)

good to go
06-16-2010, 3:00 PM
I would price them like this

27-2 $750.00

66-2 $550.00

640 $500.00

681 $650.00

36 (2" bbl, not 2.5") $450.00

17-6 $600

19-2 $450.00

I would have to agree with the above estimates. Fair pricing for California.

Steve

Sunday
06-17-2010, 12:53 PM
I would really think about not selling them. They are quite the treasure they most likly go up in value in the future and They may just grow on you.