PDA

View Full Version : I want to take my son Shark fishing off a pier

1911whore
06-15-2010, 10:58 AM
I am thinking of taking my son Shark fishing (Tiger Shark) near San Francisco very soon. Where are good places to go? What will I need? I have never gone and I am really itching to try it. What about Rays and Halibut?

CSACANNONEER
06-15-2010, 11:04 AM
The old San Mateo Bridge, Pacifica Pier, etc. You would need some line, a steel leader, a hook and some type of bait. A pole, reel, etc. will help you too. If you have a fishing license, you could try some other places as well. In the early 80's, I ued to fish Flying Tigers (probably closed off now but, I'm not sure), the Brisbane tubes and the banks right across from Coyote Point, next to the drive in. We caught a lot of Leopards and rays there and the occassional stripper too.

1911whore
06-15-2010, 11:18 AM
Do you fish them at night, day???

theseacow
06-15-2010, 11:19 AM
where do you live? There is a few places I go on the shore near redwood city that hold good leopards and rays. I just watch the tied chart and usually hit it in the evening or at night.

1911whore
06-15-2010, 11:20 AM
I am in Sacramento.

theseacow
06-15-2010, 11:30 AM
I am in Sacramento.

my advice would be to go on the fishsniffer forums and ask about the closest sharks to you. Its a long drive from Sac to any spots that I fish, but you might find something good a lot closer to you near san pablo bay.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-15-2010, 11:42 AM
Try the Delta.

1911whore
06-15-2010, 11:49 AM
Are there sharks in the Delta?? I fish bass, catfish , trout, and Salmon locally but want to hook some shark or rays.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-15-2010, 11:54 AM
Without a doubt there is. I have caught them there before. I believe they are leopard sharks. If you really want to have fun hook into a sturgeon.

theseacow
06-15-2010, 12:11 PM
1911- check your PM's

patriot_man
06-15-2010, 2:10 PM
This thread is making me want to try shark fishing now

Grof
06-15-2010, 6:47 PM
what is the best bait,

97F1504RAD
06-15-2010, 6:55 PM
Try the Delta.

Are there sharks in the Delta?? I fish bass, catfish , trout, and Salmon locally but want to hook some shark or rays.

You are not going to find any sharks that matter in the Delta.

Your best bets are going to be Sausalito. San Pablo Bay there is a pier in Richmond. Some of the best shark fishing is down by the bay brides and in the south bay. Also no Tiger Sharks in the bay Leopard Sharks, Sand Sharks, Soupfin Sharks. Six and Sevengill sharks. Also plenty of Ray in Sausalito. My brother in law goes there all the time.

As for bait Squid and anchovies works well. Also Midshipman but you may have a hard time finding those as not all bait shops sell them. The Berkeley Pier would also be a good spot to try.

gadjeep
06-15-2010, 7:21 PM
At certain times of the year I used to watch old dudes SLAY leopard at the end of the Municipal pier at the end of Bryant street in the city. I would get lunch at Red's and park at the end of the pier and check out the catch of the day.

G-Man WC
06-15-2010, 7:51 PM
No tigers around the bay area. Your thinking of leopard sharks. Try glass beach in Tomales bay. I've had luck there from the shore. Great for mud marlin (rays) also.
Big tides this weekend means sturgeon. I've caught and released a few oversized ones this year in the napa river area. Good luck and be safe. -g

1911whore
06-15-2010, 7:58 PM
Like I said...I know NOTHING about shark fishing but I want to try it and take my son, I think he would love it.

jdberger
06-15-2010, 8:05 PM
There are lots of folks along the rock wall in Harbor Bay. I've seen some sharks caught there.

scotthmt
06-15-2010, 8:14 PM
+1 for rockwall in alameda, live grass shrimp are my goto bait for striper, rays, and use anchovie for shark. I fished alameda estuary today, hooked into a HUGE ray, probably 40lbs or so, nearly spooled my 8lbs trout rod, ran about 100yards and just SAT THERE, i could NOT move him for the life of me, i tried and tried for about 10 min unti l i just pulled to hard and the line snapped

Thefeeder
06-15-2010, 8:29 PM
HOLY C**P....Tiger sharks in the Bay!

I hope you mean Leopard sharks. There are no Tigers...I hope, better tell the swimmers.

Any public pier....20-30lb test line, surf leader, 3/0 shelled hooks and anchovies for bait.....will catch any game fish in the bay....squid for rays and sharks, bass and halibut will be hard pressed to touch squid.

Berkeley Pier, Muni Pier, Fort Point,.......are just some.

97F1504RAD
06-15-2010, 9:25 PM
Here is one of the many soupfins I have caught down in the south bay over the years.

http://fordtruckworld.tenmagazines.com/gallery/97F1504RAD/238749.jpg

Cire 5th
06-16-2010, 12:22 AM
Like I said...I know NOTHING about shark fishing but I want to try it and take my son, I think he would love it.

Guaranteed you will catch them off the Richmond / San Rafael Bridge shores. Here is how to get to this particular spot. Go towards or onto Richmond / San Rafael Bridge (depending on where your coming from) then exit the San Quentin State Prison exit and you should find access to the shoreline in front of you when you exit. If your in the right spot you will be able to see San Quentin Prison on your right and the Bridge should be on your left. Plenty of parking, pull into the dirt.

You can't go wrong getting medium to large sized Leopard Sharks and Sand Sharks there. Every cast you should get one. There are many there. Also Stingrays are huge over there too. There are no stripers there or halibut I think. Too many predatory fish that scare them away.

Surf Rod, 25 lb test, salt water spin reel, size 4 Barbed Eagle Claws (or bigger), size 4 to 5 Pyramid weights, Pile Worms or with Anchovies tied on with Magic Thread and your good to go

The only thing is what are you going to tell your son if he asks you what that building is or rather what are you going to tell him? This maybe a good teaching experience as you guys fish :D

And remember you are legal to open carry as you fish just in case (I highly doubt though anything bad will happen there). Just make sure you have fishing license that does not have to be visible anymore according to the new law. But if you are going to open carry there might as well make the fishing license visible around your neck.

KD0124
06-16-2010, 1:22 AM
I used to catch rays right behind Genentech by Oyster Pointe and alot of sharkies at Pacifica Pier.. I been into the whole "crab snare fishing".. Makes crabbing more sportier.. But nice little sharks around Pacifica Pier.

theseacow
06-16-2010, 8:35 AM
There are no stripers there or halibut I think.

Thats a great area to fish as you mentioned, however I would add that that is a good halibut area. You probably wont catch them from shore because it is fairly rocky, but just out of casting range there is a sand flat and I've caught them by boat right there.

Cire 5th
06-16-2010, 12:25 PM
Thats a great area to fish as you mentioned, however I would add that that is a good halibut area. You probably wont catch them from shore because it is fairly rocky, but just out of casting range there is a sand flat and I've caught them by boat right there.

Thanks I ll remember that area then If I ever get a chance on a boat.