PDA

View Full Version : FFT fees?

95_integra_205
03-30-2006, 6:13 PM
I read in one of the thread here saying the FFL dealer only suppose to charge us $10 transfer fees plus $25 DROS fees, nothing more if we transfer in person. I'm just wondering is this true because my FFL dealer charged me $45 total for a face to face transfer. He's usually an *****hole when I go there so i'm just wondering if he over charge me on purpose. Any help on this is appreciated.

nosewitdot
03-30-2006, 6:43 PM
unless you had something sent in to the FFL, yes he overcharged you. 35 bucks is the only price a PPT should be

timmy8151
03-30-2006, 7:40 PM
I'd confront him about this first. If he refuses to refund you your money, contact the DOJ.

1911jerry
03-30-2006, 9:00 PM
Is there Tax applied to the PPT/Dros fees of $35.00? Is that at the discretion of the dealer to collect said taxes or, another method to garnish a few more cherished dollar bills....

Thanks

Jerry

nosewitdot
03-30-2006, 10:21 PM
i got charged tax once, but in another thread, i have heard mix comments, some do some don't. but hey, if the FFL is doing a good job, i don't mind paying the extra 2 bucks for tax

socalguns
03-30-2006, 10:28 PM
Read the faq
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/faq.htm

You cannot tax the FEES,
the fees are the tax.

socalguns
03-30-2006, 10:31 PM
if the FFL is doing a good job, i don't mind paying the extra 2 bucks for tax
If he's charging you extra, it means he is not doing a good job.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs.htm#32
Does sales tax apply to the DROS fees?

No. The DROS fees are not subject to sales tax. Questions regarding firearms transfer fees can be directed to the DOJ through this website or by calling (916) 263-4887. Questions regarding sales tax can be made to the California Board of Equalization at its website www.boe.ca.gov.

metalhead357
03-30-2006, 11:12 PM
yea, I remeber this on another thread too.

Do yourself a favor. walk in with a printout off the DOJ website, show it to the dweeb and politely ask for your money back. If'n he refuses let him know that he might just be the next Charles Wenzel of the internet:eek: and there's 30,000+ Cali gun owners that all do share the net and have REALLY BIG Flapping mouths that love to spew on about irresponsible and idiotic FFL dealers that try to gouge people.......AND that DOJ will be getting a phone call.

There's enough A**heads out there without having FFL dealers adding themselves to the list by mistreating and ripping off customers.....

YMMV.and so might your opinion; but just agree with me and we'll get along ok:p

EOD Guy
03-31-2006, 5:54 AM
I believe that a dealer can charge any amount he can get away with. He just cannot represent any extra fees as "state fees." They must be clearly represented as dealer fees.

03-31-2006, 6:04 AM
that's true on a non private party transfer, but by law on a private party transfer they may only charge 10.00 for the service, it's a condition of having the license. Reason behind it is from when the law changed forcing everyone to do transfers through dealers the state set the fee structure to a void people being ripped off and then ignoring the law.

halifax
03-31-2006, 7:23 AM
http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/infobuls/0101.pdf

This makes it clear what dealer is allowed to charge and what to do if dealer violates the law.

I believe dealers are required to post DOJ approved placard with current fee schedule in a conspicuous place within their business.

95_integra_205
04-01-2006, 11:02 AM
Thanks for all the reply regarding my issue. I also want to say that the person I bought it from shipped it to the FFL dealer first because both of us didn't know that the firearm I bought wasn't on the list anymore and it had to be done by face to face transfer only. So he was kind enough to ride 3 hrs (6 hrs total) to my FFL dealer so we can do the FFT. Was my dealer still suppose to charge me $35 only?

tenpercentfirearms
04-01-2006, 12:34 PM
Woah, this is a little bit crazy. You need to make this more clear.

Ok, I think I get it now after I just typed a huge response.

You wanted to buy a handgun. The guy shipped it to your FFL and then found out that it was no longer on the CA approved list of handguns. So the only way for you to take possession was through a Private Party Transfer. So the seller drove all the way down so you two could do a PPT.

Then you are correct, the dealer can only charge you $25 non-taxed for the DROS fee and $10 taxed for the PPT. By law he cannot charge anymore than that.

You should ask him about it. He might try and give you some crap that it was placed in his possession for that brief period of time when the gun arrrived at his shop and the guy came and got it, so he might argue it is not a PPT. In that case you call him on it and state that it must have been a PPT or he is guilty of illegally selling handguns not on the CA approved list. Ask him what he wants to do? Charge you too much and have you report him to the DOJ or do the right thing and charge the transaction as a PPT.

It shouldn't take much for him to realize to just pay back the $10. However, think of all of this mess that everyone had to go through including the seller, the buyer and the FFL to get this straightened out. Might it be worth $10 for the guy having to mess with this headache?

I know I wouldn't be too happy that customers are shipping me guns they can't transfer and then me having to hold onto that gun until the PPT guy shows up so I can properly put it through so my customer can at least have the gun instead of me shipping it back to the buyer and having to claim it was a "gunsmithing" transaction otherwise the gun must be shipped out of state because the dealer can't return it to anyone other than the seller. I would say that kind of foul up might be worth an extra $10 for the dealer having to go through that hassle.

Then again, you might not and you might want your $10 back. By law he can't charge you more than that amount. Just hope he didn't charge your seller a $10 storage fee why the gun sat down in his safe when it never should have been there! :D

harley66
04-01-2006, 9:25 PM
Its $10 here - you maybe got cheated for $10 - live and learn.... don't let this small amount get ya...

95_integra_205
04-02-2006, 12:52 PM
Thanks tenpercentfirearms for your reply. Now that I think of it, my FFL did over charged me because the person I bought it from mention that he shipped it through his FFL dealer, if i'm not mistaken. So, shouldn't his FFL know that it couldn't be registered if the both of us wasn't there? I should forget about this but I would like to know for future reference. Thanks again for all the replies.

tenpercentfirearms
04-02-2006, 4:30 PM
I personally have orderd guns for people before and forgot to check the list.

You really need to get a better understanding of all of this and we can help you. For example, you do not have to send firearms through a FFL if you are sending them straight to an FFL.

Second, FFLs can ship non-approved handguns in and out of state all they want and to other dealers. If a guy comes in and wants me to ship a firearm for him, I am going to first of all tell him to ship it himself unless he wants to pay me for nothing. If he insists then I am not that concerned if he didn't bother to check and see if it is listed or not because he shouldn't even be sending it through me to begin with. I am an honest guy so I wouldn't have shipped it and told him to ship it himself. A FFL that accepts money to ship a firearm for a guy who does not need his services probably isn't going to stop stealing the man's money and tell him it isn't listed.

At this point, the entire deal has probably been more hassle than it is worth for everyone except maybe you. I would let the FFL keep his 10 extra bucks and next time know that if it is a PPT, he cannot charge you more than $25 non-taxed DROS and $10 taxed fee. Also let everyone else you deal with know that they can ship firearms directly to a FFL holder and they DO NOT HAVE TO SHIP FROM AN ORIGINATION FFL.

Eat the $10. I think the FFL earned it in having to sort all of this out. Get him next time.

tcrpe
04-02-2006, 7:16 PM
He's usually an *****hole when I go there . . . . .

Why do you go there?

SFV_Dealer
04-02-2006, 7:26 PM
Wait a minute, I am a dealer and if the buyer didn't check if the handgun is on the list or not then yes, the dealer has every right that the transaction proceed as a FFL transfer since the buyer didn't check. PPT is only if both parties show up at the same time and do the transfer for $35. But if the gun was shipped from FFL to FFL, then it falls under a FFL transfer subject to whatever amount the dealer sets (Posted in shop, by Law). In this case the dealer had to wait or make another trip to the store which in my book is costly! Time is money! Gas is money! What, are we working for free ???

95_integra_205
04-02-2006, 7:52 PM
Why do you go there?
He's the cheapest in my area.

95_integra_205
04-02-2006, 7:54 PM
Thanks SFV_Dealer, just the answer i'm looking for.

tenpercentfirearms
04-02-2006, 9:40 PM
The only problem with that idea SFV_Dealer is that the gun is not on the California list so the dealer cannot move forward as it won't be on the list and it won't be DROSable. The dealer has to process it is a PPT or Mr. Integra gets no pistol. Ask him about the extra ten bucks if you want, but I say for all of this hassle, the guy has earned it.