View Full Version : Inherited gun collection

Chuck P
06-15-2010, 8:27 AM
Hi all I am new here and have been reading the boards but this will be my first post here. So first let me say this is a fantastic site and thanks to all the members for all that you do.

On to my question. My father recently passed away, he left behind a gun collection back in the midwest. Currently it is tied up in the courts, but the 90 days should be up here very shortly and the court will be releasing the estate. This means I will need to go and get the guns and bring them out here. Nothing illegal for ownership will be coming out here. Mostly long guns and pistols. The question I guess I have is what would be the best way to get them out here. I was looking at flying back and renting a car and driving them out here. I also considered having them shipped FFL to FFL but the cost involved with that would be to much. Unless maybe I can work a deal to bring them as a group. Anyway I just wanted to ask to see if maybe someone has some advice about the least expensive way to bring a gun collection into the state. We are talking about maybe 30 firearms. Thanks guys/gals

06-15-2010, 8:31 AM
I'm fairly certain the executor of the estate can ship them directly to you. You will need to register the handguns though.

Chuck P
06-15-2010, 8:42 AM
I thought all firearms that get shipped have to go FFL to FFL overnight.

06-15-2010, 8:57 AM
Bill responds to a similar question here (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=301165&highlight=oplaw)

If the executor is a lawyer, he should have no problem getting the guns to you. Handguns may still need to go overnight though because of UPS rules. By law, an FFL's involvement is not a requirement in this case but the lawyer may need to arm wrestle with UPS. Might be easier to crate them altogether and ship by truck.

06-15-2010, 10:31 AM
This should be no different than if you were having your own firearms shipped to a hunting lodge so you wouldn't have to deal with them at the airport.

Since you are the legal owner of these firearms, there is no requirement to go through an FFL since the firearms are not being "transferred", only shipped.

06-15-2010, 10:39 AM
From a practical standpoint it may be difficult for the executor (even a lawyer) to ship the guns via UPS etc. simply because UPS, DHL, etc. office staff believe the destination must be an FFL.

Chuck P
06-15-2010, 11:08 AM
Hey, thanks guys for the help I will contact our probate attorney and see what she says. I think its worth a try so I will get her working on that. Thanks again

06-15-2010, 11:10 AM
Take a couple weeks off and drive out there... you get to drive home with the goods and no fribbling around with shipping.