PDA

View Full Version : Visiting your state...

bigtexman
06-14-2010, 7:50 PM
Hey guys, I will be traveling to your state in July and was wondering what some of the laws that pertain to visitors possessing guns. I know pistols are allowed with a mag cap of no more than 10 rds. As for shotguns, does the same rule apply? No capacity exceeding 10 rds. And for AR's, 10 rd mags OK?
They dont have to fixed magazines do they? I dont like to travel into Indian country with the propper protection.....

thayne
06-14-2010, 7:58 PM
With the pistol mag, 10 rounds or less. The shotgun, only if its detachable. If its tube magazine the cap limit doesnt apply. Also if the shotgun is a semiauto it cant have a detachable magazine

For the AR. Make sure its not on the ban list! And it does have to have a fixed magazine of 10 rounds or less. You can get a bullet button for $25 to make it legal, so long as the lower receiver isnt on the list.

I suggest reading this
http://www.calguns.net/a_california_arak.htm

thayne
06-14-2010, 8:02 PM
heres the ban list
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/infobuls/kaslist.pdf

dantodd
06-14-2010, 8:06 PM
Also, your CCW permit is not valid in California. As for the AR look near the top of this page and you'll see a link labeled "AW & OLL Guides" under that you'll find links to flowcharts to confirm your rifle isn't considered an Assault Weapon per CA law. Most common issues are fixed (bullet buttoned) magazine, 10rd. max capacity magazines and 30" Overall Length in shortest firing configuration.

lazyworm
06-14-2010, 8:06 PM
pistol/handgun:
* no mags > 10 rds, unless you have the mags in CA before 2000
* transported locked and unloaded (no round in chamber, no round touching the handgun)
* not configured as an AW (see above)
* not configured as an AOW (e.g. forward pistol grip)

rifle:
* not a cat 1, 2 or 3 AW (see flow chart above)
* no mags > 10 rds unless you have the mag in CA before 2000 AND rifle is not AW
* transported unloaded; locked and unloaded in school zones (1000')
* no SBR, no AOW, no FA

shotgun:
* not AW (see above)
* not DD
* not AOW
* no revolving cylinder
* not SBS
* transported unloaded; locked and unloaded in school zones (1000')

CCW:
* ccw from any other states is not recognized here

bigtexman
06-14-2010, 8:13 PM
Wow....I guess the shotguns will have to do. Thanks for the info fellows!

383green
06-14-2010, 9:08 PM
Enjoy your visit!

cntrolsguy
06-14-2010, 9:47 PM
I believe that if you are attending a competition shoot of some kind than an AR on the ban list is ok but no hi cap mags. If I'm wrong please chime in.

bwiese
06-14-2010, 9:57 PM
I believe that if you are attending a competition shoot of some kind than an AR on the ban list is ok but no hi cap mags. If I'm wrong please chime in.

You're referring to the very vague 'competition exemption' that should not really be relied upon for 'recommended conduct' - at best it's a defense.

It's in & out directly to/from the competition - no side trips, extended stays, etc.

If you run into a cop with an AW you're likely to be popped for it.

NOT RECOMMENDED>

Quiet
06-14-2010, 10:13 PM
The shotgun, only if its detachable. If its tube magazine the cap limit doesnt apply.
Incorrect.

Tubular magazines are affected by the large capacity magazine law. [PC 12020(a)(2)]

Tubular magazines on semi-auto shotguns, pump/slide-action shotguns & bolt-action shotguns are limited to 10 rounds.

The only tubular magazines that are exempt are .22 caliber tubular magazines [PC 12020(c)(25)B)] and tubular magazines on lever action firearms [PC 12020(c)(25)(C)].

Penal Code 12020
(a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.
(c)(25) As used in this section, "large-capacity magazine" means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include any of the following:
(A) A feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.
(B) A .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.
(C) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

cntrolsguy
06-14-2010, 10:17 PM
You're referring to the very vague 'competition exemption' that should not really be relied upon for 'recommended conduct' - at best it's a defense.

It's in & out directly to/from the competition - no side trips, extended stays, etc.

If you run into a cop with an AW you're likely to be popped for it.

NOT RECOMMENDED>

I would tend agree with Bill since this has never been tested to my knowledge.

bigtexman
06-16-2010, 7:00 AM
Last time I shot a match out there was 2006 IDPA state in Chino. I had to go out and buy 10 rd magazines, never used them since. This time I will be visiting family. I will just pack the .357 1894. Its under the 10 round max capacity and handle business out to 100yds. I heared rumors about a fixed mag for AR's and was wanting to verify. And a list for AW's? You guys got some house cleaning to do in your government....Hats off to you guys for sticking around.

Nodda Duma
06-16-2010, 7:10 AM
You guys got some house cleaning to do in your government....Hats off to you guys for sticking around.

Yep, problem is that most idiots in CA think the house is spotless. But we're working on it: the lawyers and courts will help us take out the trash.

Enjoy your visit!

-Jason