PDA

View Full Version : p95 worth getting?

Masterdebater
06-14-2010, 6:58 PM
i went back in to the gun shop and held a new p95 and i like it alot, id love to have a sub compact but i dont have the money for one right now so well wait on that. i do want a 9mm and im definately a ruger fan. ppl have said it has a rough trigger which i dont care about i just want to know if anyone has one and how they like it and dont like about it. i just want a nice 9mm i cant shoot cheaper than my 357 and mosin :D

robcoe
06-14-2010, 7:00 PM
The P95 is a good gun, in 9mm you also might want to look into the SR9

mike100
06-14-2010, 7:02 PM
P95's function fine, but I would never get one. Not fun at all for target shooting..almost every other type of semi auto pistol is more enjoyable to shoot. Any of the legions of polymer guns would be better. One gun that I never owned that I liked is the S&W M&P line. That's as American as apple pie and maybe even more so than Ruger.

Mr_Monkeywrench
06-14-2010, 7:04 PM
Ruger P95 is a great pistol. Built like a tank an highly accurate.

JTsanchez
06-14-2010, 8:15 PM
P95 is a great 9mm target gun, very rugged.

SJgunguy24
06-14-2010, 8:29 PM
What are you looking to do? Is it just a blaster and possible home defense, or are you trying to shoot 1 hole groups at 25 yards?
I have a P944 and I will say that I wouldn't hesitate for a second to grab that if my family was in danger.

todd2968
06-14-2010, 8:37 PM
Have one and love it and if you haven't seen Turners has them on sale I prefer stainless

bucktooth7
06-14-2010, 9:48 PM
AS far as I am concerned, Glock 17 is a great 9mm. I have shot at least 3000 rounds thru it and no problems at all . I have a Ruger P90 .45 and less than 1k , back to the manufacturer. Ruger revolvers are great but I think alot of improvement can be made on their semi auto products. Buy a Glock!

bryan28
06-14-2010, 10:26 PM
i havent shot one before, but i've dry-fired it in gun stores. the trigger isn't great, but if you want an inexpensive plinker and a reliable gun to depend on, it would fit the bill

Ultimate
06-14-2010, 10:26 PM
The p95 is a great, accurate, AND fun gun to shoot. Trigger is very nice as well.

Masterdebater
06-14-2010, 10:56 PM
yea ill just use it to take out and shoot, ill use the revolver for hd and maybe carry the 9 around with me while hiking. ill take it to the range and shoot too. "gritty" triggers dont bother me either i can break it in i just want to make sure its worth the 395 price tag on it

BHPFan
06-15-2010, 8:45 AM
OK. Ruger P series pistols are what they are... affordable, sturdy and reliable service type pistols. You can't expect them to have the finely tuned trigger nor the pinpoint accuracy of 1911's. However, they sure can gobble up ammo without problems and are built like tanks.

If you want a subcompact, you save up for a Ruger SR9C. I went to Turners to check it out and I like it:
- It is slimmer than most polymer double-stack subcompacts (Glock, XD, HK).
- It has manual safety, which is something I really like on subcompacts.
- It is pretty affordable in comparison to Glocks, XDs, M&Ps and HKs.

SDRuger
06-15-2010, 10:40 AM
My P95 was my first gun purchase. I have put over 1,000 rounds through it and never had a problem. To me accuracy is average. I love the way it feels in my hand compared to many other guns i have now tried. I would reccomend one to anyone. Especially because of how much you get for the money. I love mine. Its my nightstand gun that i trust!

redhemi
06-15-2010, 10:51 AM
P95 good reliable gun. I don't have one but my buddy does and it goes bang everytime he brings it shooting no matter what we feed it and its fairly accurate also. I have a SR9 and really enjoy it, it shoots straight and eats anything with no problems. I just picked up my SR9c so far I've only run about 200 rounds through it and it's my first compact and I was surprised at how easy it was to shoot. It had no more kick than the full size SR and I was fairly accurate with it the first time out I can't wait until this weekend to put some more rounds through it. Redhemi

mayneak
06-15-2010, 11:43 AM
I've got a P95, and i dont ever see myself selling it, it is a fun rough and tough looking gun that will fire all the time. The trigger does need some getting used to, but it doesnt bother me at all. When im going to the range, I always find myself taking this one along for the ride. Whether im shooting my 1911 or my XD, this one always goes too. Very good 9mm gun. SR9 is the new model, havent fired or held, but i like the hammer on my P95 as opposed to a striker on the SR9. just my .02:)

bigthaiboy
06-15-2010, 12:54 PM
AS far as I am concerned, Glock 17 is a great 9mm. I have shot at least 3000 rounds thru it and no problems at all . I have a Ruger P90 .45 and less than 1k , back to the manufacturer. Ruger revolvers are great but I think alot of improvement can be made on their semi auto products. Buy a Glock!

How come some Glock fan boy always chimes in with "Buy a Glock!" regardless of what ever pistol any OP is asking about, whether it be a Hi-Point, Ruger, Steyr, XD, M&P or CZ? If the OP had wanted a Glock, he would have asked for an opinion on Glocks. He didn't.

To the OP, keep an eye on Turner's weekly ads. They have been running specials on the P95 every few weeks for the past few months at $299.

professionalcoyotehunter
06-15-2010, 12:55 PM
What is the price?

Masterdebater
06-15-2010, 2:29 PM
its 395 where im at for a stainless two tone. i want an sr9c but havent seen one around here yet. how much do those go for?

BHPFan
06-15-2010, 2:45 PM
its 395 where im at for a stainless two tone. i want an sr9c but havent seen one around here yet. how much do those go for?

Turners are having them on sale for $439 until July 1st. However, I don't think there are any Turners in NorCal. They are located pretty much all around SoCal. However, I don't think the Turners in Reseda has it as it doesn't sell subcompact pistols. So, you'll have to look at the other Turners in the L.A. area (Redondo Beach, Pasadena, etc...).

Per their current policies, you can do a 30 day-layaway.

Masterdebater
06-15-2010, 4:23 PM
ooooh wow... i might have to look into that! thanks for the heads up man i definately want a subcompact most but if not im gonna get the p95

Masterdebater
06-15-2010, 5:02 PM
oh one more thing what about aftermarket availability for the p95?

mike100
06-15-2010, 6:25 PM
oh one more thing what about aftermarket availability for the p95?

Maybe a hogue wrap-around grip. Aftermarket is in rimfire as far as ruger is concerned. For the semi-auto pistols.... well, at least you won't have to spend anymore on it.

have you ever shot a p95?

wild_weasel
06-15-2010, 7:34 PM
I bought a stainless P95 from Davidson’s a few years back to take advantage of the $16.00 x100 round Winchester White Box ammo at Wal-Mart, it shoots the Wal-Mart Remington bulk JHP well too. I left it in factory specification specifically for home defense or zombie apocalypse, whichever comes first. I shot it every now and then to remain proficient, but prefer shooting my Ruger Blackhawks (45 Colt/45ACP, 357 Magnum/9mm, 30 Carbine) for fun. The Bag Master holster with magazine pouch makes a line carry rig too; you can keep the gun unloaded and a loaded magazine in the pouch ready to go.

Cheers,
W-W

ROTC sniper
06-15-2010, 7:44 PM
I have a P95 also but the all black one. For $299 it's definitely worth it but for $395 for a beater gun I'd get something else. The DA/SA trigger definitely something to get used to with the long trigger pull. Mine eats everything I put in it but again for new at $395 I'd buy a used glock 17. I have both by the way.

BHPFan
06-15-2010, 7:54 PM
I have a P95 also but the all black one. For $299 it's definitely worth it but for $395 for a beater gun I'd get something else. The DA/SA trigger definitely something to get used to with the long trigger pull. Mine eats everything I put in it but again for new at $395 I'd buy a used glock 17. I have both by the way.

To Masterdebater (the OP),

I'll have to agree with the quote above from ROTC sniper.

IMHO, if you have $395 and you want a subcompact, you can either save up or put a down payment for the SR9C.

Otherwise, if you really want a P95, please look around more. You can get a better price.

Masterdebater
06-16-2010, 3:41 AM
yea hate to say it but im gonna have to find patience in myself to wait... im still thinking subcompact for sure

ROTC sniper
06-16-2010, 6:57 AM
P95 is definitely not subcompact but you can get the SR9c right now at Turners for $439. Still in your price range. I haven't shot it but the reviews are all good. I DROSed mine last week and will let you know as soon as I can get to the range.