PDA

View Full Version : how do i tell an orginal nazi k98 mauser from a russian capture??

sovieteve0118
06-14-2010, 5:16 PM
i was wondering, other then an "X" on the receiver, what else makes a rifle a russian capture? im searching through lots of mismatched mauser ad's and i need to know the diffrence between a mauser that may just be mismatched numbers and what are all the things the russians did to their captured rifles. which are silver bolts. how is the bolt shroud, safty lever, barrel band blued or silver, barrel blued? im confused im seeing diffent types of all the parts i just mentioned, to keep it more simple because there may be 100's of things the russians did, what does an ORIGINAL german rifle look like? ...what color (blued or silver) bolt, bolt shroud, barrel band, barrel, hangguard, cleaning rod? thanks guys

Rem222
06-14-2010, 5:29 PM
I can not answer all your questions but here are a few links to check out. I do think the only K98 bolts that are silver/chrome/polished are Mitchell's Mausers..

http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?6-The-K98-Mauser-Forum
http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=21&sid=9e55b131206c9b4f1c5333ac1098df60

scobun
06-14-2010, 5:35 PM
Just think of the Russian captures as original Mausers that have certainly been there and done that. :)

mauser98k
06-14-2010, 5:35 PM
not all Russian captures will have the "x". Russian captures have shellac on the stocks, electro pencilling on the parts, all mismatched numbers and lack capture screws, sight hoods and cleaning rods. sometimes the swastikas have been removed, they have also been reblued or painted to a dark blue/black color. parts will be incorrect for the year. for example, if the rifle you're looking at has a cupped buttplate but the year is 1938, it's in the wrong stock as cupped buttplate stocks didn't come to be until 1940.

RC's also have the serial number from the receiver stamped on the left side of the stock behind the takedown disc. the Germans only ever put the serial number under the butt or inside the barrel channel. stamped parts go with later war rifles while milled parts are early war issue but the Russians didn't pay attention to keeping things correct when they put them back together after taking them apart in the 1950s.

original 98k bluing is actually blue. the Germans also phosphated some of them later in the war. originals will have no shellac on the stock, they will be (usually) all matching. occasionally parts were replaced in the field so sometimes they will have some mismatched numbers.

most importantly is price. RC's are about $350 while original untinkered with 98ks go for $1300+ now.

here is a link with pictures of an all original German 98k: http://ww2weaponsforum.com/showthread.php?3510-S-42-G-with-wartime-repairs

here is a Russian capture:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=174069840

Mitchell's Mausers are just Russian captures they have humped to get more money from. nothing more and nothing less. they force match them all, reblue and restock them. NEVER buy a Mitchell' Mauser because they are flat out liars.

Fate
06-14-2010, 5:38 PM
Besides the stamped X, Russian capture K98s generally have a "black finish" that was part of their refurb for storage process. Stock is often shellac-ed as well. Serial numbers on stock are also Russian Capture features and not original. Also RC K98s typically have electropencilled numbers on bolt.

-hanko
06-14-2010, 5:39 PM
I have one that I know was not an RC, f-i-l brought it back from Germany, along with a 1903 and an Enfield.

It's blued, has a oiled laminated stock, and matching numbers on everything...even down to the barrel bands, iirc. Receiver mark is 'DOV'.

Bluing is around 80%, the bolt assembly is not silver nor chrome, just in the white.

She's a sweet shooter and a nice slice of history.

hth

-hanko

bigthaiboy
06-14-2010, 5:41 PM
Russian Captures lack cleaning rods, front sight hoods and capture screws on the mag footplate. The Russians would also stamp the serial number onto the stock, and then cover the wood with shellac. The Germans did not use shellac.

mauser98k
06-14-2010, 5:48 PM
I have one that I know was not an RC, f-i-l brought it back from Germany, along with a 1903 and an Enfield.

It's blued, has a oiled laminated stock, and matching numbers on everything...even down to the barrel bands, iirc. Receiver mark is 'DOV'.

Bluing is around 80%, the bolt assembly is not silver nor chrome, just in the white.

hth

-hankoi believe you mean it's "dot" or "duv" marked. there was no "dov" code.

-hanko
06-14-2010, 5:50 PM
i believe you mean it's "dot" or "duv" marked. there was no "dov" code.
Thanks, it is 'duv'...this thread got me looking in the safe.

Many non-RC guns do come less the rod and front hood, I replaced them with real german parts through, I think, Sarco. Mine did have the capture screws. It's a great shooter...It's been baptized with an elk.

-hanko

mauser98k
06-14-2010, 5:56 PM
Thanks, it is 'duv'...this thread got me looking in the safe.

Many non-RC guns do come less the rod and front hood, I replaced them with real german parts through, I think, Sarco. Mine did have the capture screws. It's a great shooter...It's been baptized with an elk.

-hanko

"duv" (Berlin Lubecker Maschinenfabrik) is a good one to have, especially if it's a 1942. they stopped making 98ks in 1942 to focus on the G41 and later the G/K43

ae13291
06-15-2010, 12:56 AM

hth

-hanko

wow man you have a pretty rare K98, thats really badass, you brought it all the way from Germany?

sovieteve0118
06-15-2010, 6:58 AM
thanks for the info, ill post a picture of it today!!

-hanko
06-15-2010, 2:10 PM
wow man you have a pretty rare K98, thats really badass, you brought it all the way from Germany?
Your post caused me to open the safe again, it's marked 'duv 41' on the receiver. Bolt is not in the white, but blued.

Father-in-law (God rest his soul) was in the relief company that supported the Battle of the Bulge. I asked him once how he got the gun, his comment: "I took it from a German, he didn't need it any more." I never asked for details.:o

If you watch Band of Brothers, you'll get a feel for what he went through, but I'm not sure the series conveyed half of what those guys did and saw. After the Ardennes, he may have worked for OSS. Comment was "Old Bill Donavan knew how to get s*** done, I was proud to help him".

What he experienced must have been mind altering, he was a different personality every year for about a week before and after Christmas until he passed. Got a few Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star.

-hanko