PDA

View Full Version : So I can't take my acid reflux medication?

Window_Seat
06-14-2010, 4:20 PM
According to the Shasta County CCW application (http://www.co.shasta.ca.us/html/Sheriff/docs/Forms/CCW%20Application%20online.pdf):

While exercising the privileges granted to the licensee under the terms of this license, the licensee shall not, when carrying a concealed weapon: Be under the influence of any medication or drug, whether prescribed or not.

That's what it says...:shrug:

So I take Protonix for Esophageal Reflux and spasm, and my asthma inhaler (a maintenance steroid [no, not the illegal bad steroid] inhaler). If I took the Protonix an hour ago (so I could have BBQ), and I used the Asthma inhaler within the past 6 hours, does my permit get revoked because I was "under the influence of prescribed medications" while CCWing to the store for Tri-Tip (for the BBQ)? Protonix & Singulair are examples of prescribed medications. When taking medication, whether it's Tylenol or Penicillin, you are "under the influence", no? So this means that I get my CCW revoked (If I have one), no?

Bill, Gene, Brandon, et all?

Erik.

sonico
06-14-2010, 4:26 PM
I'm no expert, but "under the influence" here would seem to mean that the drug or medication alters your perception, behavior or judgment. For example, a drug that just alters acid production in your stomach wouldn't count.

dfletcher
06-14-2010, 4:28 PM
I think the important part is "be under the influence of" any of those drugs. My guess is one may consume a drug without, in the legal sense, being under the influence of the drug. If they intended to prohibit carrying while merely using I think they would have specifically included use in the language.

Window_Seat
06-14-2010, 4:28 PM
I'm no expert, but "under the influence" here would seem to mean that the drug or medication alters your perception, behavior or judgment. For example, a drug that just alters acid production in your stomach wouldn't count.

Maybe true, and I figure that as well, but then again, it says "ANY medication".

Erik.

Californio
06-14-2010, 4:37 PM
Would not (influence) refer to mental and not physical state. If the drug has no influence on your cognitive state, would they not be exempt. Plenty of LEO's take drugs for physical reasons.

bigcalidave
06-14-2010, 4:38 PM
Did you have your interview? Ask them ! Great guys, and I know for a fact they approve people who take various medications.

stix213
06-14-2010, 5:49 PM
Its already illegal to drive 'under the influence' of any drug to the store to get your tri-tip in the first place, regardless of your gun toting status :p

Section 23152 - Driving Under Influence of Alcohol or Drugs

23152. (a) It is unlawful for any person who is under the influence of any alcoholic beverage or drug, or under the combined influence of any alcoholic beverage and drug, to drive a vehicle.

http://drunkdriverlaw.com/duilaws.php#23152

But yeah, I'm certain that it refers to mental influence and not just having any drug in your body.

craneman
06-14-2010, 5:55 PM
Did you have your interview? Ask them ! Great guys, and I know for a fact they approve people who take various medications.

Wow, you musta got some different guys. AS soon as I told about my Thorozine they kicked me out.:confused:

just kiddin:p

Cobrafreak
06-15-2010, 4:43 AM
Remember the "Twinkie Defense"? The guy that shot Harvey Milk said he was under the influence of "junk food" and therefore shot Milk in an "influenced" state of mind. He beat the rap.

calixt0
06-15-2010, 7:04 AM
so what medications preempt you from having a ccw... would prozac (used for mood stabilization or depression)/adderall (for ADHD)/ Xanax (anxiety)/ Hydrocodone (pain) necessarily make it to where you don't qualify to protect yourself? I think don't really know but I think any of the above medications if taken properly and checked by doctors can make someone better balanced and better able to deal with stressful situations that those not on them?

FatalKitty
06-15-2010, 9:42 AM
so what medications preempt you from having a ccw... would prozac (used for mood stabilization or depression)/adderall (for ADHD)/ Xanax (anxiety)/ Hydrocodone (pain) necessarily make it to where you don't qualify to protect yourself? I think don't really know but I think any of the above medications if taken properly and checked by doctors can make someone better balanced and better able to deal with stressful situations that those not on them?

the possible side effects of those drugs would cause ME not to want to even carry a firearm - it's unreal what those things can do to your mind. I was given Xanax after a serious incident in my early adulthood and had wild moodswings, tried to kill myself (I have NEVER been suicidal, and don't even remember doing it) and continually freaked out at nurses and doctors. Lucky for me I had some very good friends looking out for me and all went well, but man I got off that stuff as soon as I figured out WTF was going on.

NiteQwill
06-15-2010, 9:47 AM
You're reading too much into it.

Drugs that are mood or behavior altering are those that are classified as such under the DEA and FDA, generally those that fall under the CSA (Controlled Substance Act), or are considered psychoactive drugs (non-controlled drugs, but prescriptions like Prozac, Seroquel, Ambien, etc.). In those cases, drugs and guns don't mix.

Your GERD or acid reflux drugs like pepcid, nexium, protonix, or prilosec hardly count as any of what I said.

Happy hunting on your CCW process :)

Big Jake
06-15-2010, 9:51 AM
I think the premise here is obvious. The issuing agency does not want someone using drugs that will alter their mind when carrying. The meds you describe won't do that so I would not worry!

YubaRiver
06-15-2010, 10:16 AM

Drugs that are mood or behavior altering are those that are classified as such under the DEA and FDA, generally those that fall under the CSA (Controlled Substance Act), or are considered psychoactive drugs (non-controlled drugs, but prescriptions like Prozac, Seroquel, Ambien, etc.). In those cases, drugs and guns don't mix.

Your GERD or acid reflux drugs like pepcid, nexium, protonix, or prilosec hardly count as any of what I said.

Happy hunting on your CCW process :)

What about all the cops that take Prozac with their morning coffee?

gtturborex
06-15-2010, 10:23 AM
I would think you are alright. I cant see the interviewer saying, "looks like you have TUMS in your medicine cabinet, sorry no CCW"

POLICESTATE
06-15-2010, 10:26 AM
We're all screwed because of chemtrails :rolleyes: so we're all under the influence of something eh whatever I don't care anymore

NiteQwill
06-15-2010, 10:29 AM
What about all the cops that take Prozac with their morning coffee?

Which cops? Is this a generalized statement? Sarcasm?

SSRI's like Prozac only increase suicidality in children, not adults, according to the latest stuff I've read in journals.

Low doses are extremely common and do not have the huge effects like higher doses, examples of this include the use in post-partum women who are suffering from post-partum blues (depression). Low doses can improve daily function (that's the goal of the drug, right?). Drugs like Seroquel or Ambien are used to treat sleep insomnia (low dose) as well as anxiety (higher). Wellbutrin for smoking (low) or depression (high). Etc. Etc. This is only a few of my examples.

Like I said, any use of a psychoactive drug should proceed with caution when using firearms (or anything that can kill you or someone else, for that matter). I would consult a doctor or pharmacist if taking anything similar.

Billy Jack
06-15-2010, 10:38 AM
This is one of the sillier discussions I have seen here and there have been oh so many. If you actually have a CCW from that department, write them a Certified letter for clarification. If you are applying for a CCW, ask about the restriction and then send a letter memorializing the conversation to your file.

Now wasn't that simple?

Now back to silly discussions, the Brady group needs these discussions to continue to buttress their misconceptions(?).

Billy Jack
'The Force is strong with this one'

www.californiaconcealedcarry.com

BoxesOfLiberty
06-15-2010, 10:41 AM
Remember the "Twinkie Defense"? The guy that shot Harvey Milk said he was under the influence of "junk food" and therefore shot Milk in an "influenced" state of mind. He beat the rap.

Dan White, Milk's killer didn't go to the gas chamber, but he was convicted of manslaughter and served 5 years.

Another related case is the successful Prozac defense mounted by Christopher DeAngelo after he robbed a bank in Derby, Connecticut.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=prozac+defense

YubaRiver
06-15-2010, 11:41 AM
Which cops? Is this a generalized statement? Sarcasm?

SSRI's like Prozac only increase suicidality in children, not adults, according to the latest stuff I've read in journals.

Low doses are extremely common and do not have the huge effects like higher doses, examples of this include the use in post-partum women who are suffering from post-partum blues (depression). Low doses can improve daily function (that's the goal of the drug, right?). Drugs like Seroquel or Ambien are used to treat sleep insomnia (low dose) as well as anxiety (higher). Wellbutrin for smoking (low) or depression (high). Etc. Etc. This is only a few of my examples.

Like I said, any use of a psychoactive drug should proceed with caution when using firearms (or anything that can kill you or someone else, for that matter). I would consult a doctor or pharmacist if taking anything similar.

Sarcasm only in that some of my LEO friends, just like everybody at different times in their life, take all kinds of meds. If with every sniffle
or insomnia bout they have to take time off?

When a doc prescribes
something, both he and the pharmacist will tell you of any hazards
associated with it. It is then up to us to determine what is dangerous
in our situation. If we then use bad judgment, well, then someone else
will be judging us if we cause an accident. A blanket statement that
Prozac or Pepsid brings you automatically into non compliance IS
silly.

Dr.Lou
06-15-2010, 11:52 AM

+1 H2 blockers won't preclude you from receiving a CCW.

Lou

Old4eyes
06-15-2010, 7:51 PM
I'll play devil's advocate here.

If you are a woman taking birth control pills, you hope your body in being influenced.
If you are taking medication to control your blood pressure, you hope your body is being influenced.

And one would hope that a SENSIBLE person would know that the intent is whether any substance is affecting your judgement. But if we recall the lady that burned her thighs with overly hot Mcdonald's coffee and won the lawsuit, we can be assured that SENSIBLE is a rare commodity, especially in the hands of a lawyer.

bigcalidave
06-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Now wasn't that simple?

Now back to silly discussions, the Brady group needs these discussions to continue to buttress their misconceptions(?).

Billy Jack
'The Force is strong with this one'

www.californiaconcealedcarry.com (http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com)

What Brady Group, Billy Jack?? lol.. Haven't you seen the news?

jamesob
06-15-2010, 11:36 PM

exactly. the way he was taking it, if he took an aspirin he would be screwed.

jehall01
06-16-2010, 12:00 AM
CII to CV narcotics are medications they'd probably be more interested in and or depression meds. Protonix and other acid meds are not control narcotics. Most control drugs ( CII to CV ) have labels on the bottles saying do not operate heavy machinery drowsiness, etc. And C class meds are also classsified by the potential of abuse, like cherrytussin AC. The only problem with protonix is it's expensive, and your insurance may not pay for it or a high copay because of the new generic.