PDA

View Full Version : BB gun in Unincorporated LA?

smogcity
06-14-2010, 3:34 PM
Dumb question, but I gotta ask being that this is California and if it's fun we ban it.

Presuming a fenced yard, not visable from the street, correct back stop, etc. Can i shoot a bb gun at tin cans in my back yard in unincorporated LA?

thayne
06-14-2010, 3:45 PM
I dont know the law in LA, but my guess would be its illegal. It is in fresno, but at most you would get a fine. Here at least. Police dont take BB guns seriously and would only respond if one of your neighbors complained.

stag1500
06-14-2010, 4:34 PM
You're only prohibited from discharging firearms within city limits. Outside city limits (i.e. unincorporated areas), you just have to make sure you're beyond a certain distance from the nearest road/highway before you can shoot a gun.

smogcity
06-14-2010, 5:02 PM
You're only prohibited from discharging firearms within city limits. Outside city limits (i.e. unincorporated areas), you just have to make sure you're beyond a certain distance from the nearest road/highway before you can shoot a gun.

I'm just asking is a Red Ryder BB gun in the back yard in unincoprerated LA legal?.

Ron-Solo
06-14-2010, 5:28 PM

That is extremely incorrect in Los Angeles County. All of the unincorporated in the greater LA basin is a prohibited shooting area. Many of the outlying areas are also prohibited or restricted. Almost ALL of the Angeles National Forest, with the exception of designated shooting areas by USFS, are prohibited shooting areas under LA County codes. (review title 13 sections - too extensive to post)

If it is prohibited under LA County Codes, you immediately fall under the restrictions of 12031 PC.

As far as the OP, you are good to go in your back yard, Red Ryder. Just make sure you keep the BB's in the yard. The LACC does not address BB guns except at parks and beaches.

neal0124
06-14-2010, 5:37 PM
BB guns aren't considered firearms, so I don't think that you would have a problem "discharging" one unless someone complains. I shoot paintball guns in my back yard all the time. I'm in LA county.

GuyW
06-14-2010, 5:54 PM
If BB guns are OK to shoot in LA Co - kool!

In many ordinances, BB guns / air rifles are included as firearms...