PDA

View Full Version : Would a break-open AR pistol be legal?

j2ws2000
03-30-2006, 12:02 AM
I assume so, I'm strongly considering picking up some more receivers and this might motivate me a bit more..

C.G.
03-30-2006, 12:07 AM
I assume so, I'm strongly considering picking up some more receivers and this might motivate me a bit more..

No! It would be an SBR.

Sgt Raven
03-30-2006, 12:09 AM
No! It would be an SBR.

No because the mag well isn't in the pistol grip.

m1371
03-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Would a break-open AR pistol be legal?

Wrong assumption for several reasons.

Someone will be along to elaborate why and provide the specific sections of the penal code, I'm certain.

But the "in a nutshell" answer is DO NOT DO THIS.

Rumpled
03-30-2006, 12:13 AM
Talked about a lot.
Probably only gonna work as a single shot.
Use the search function.

C.G.
03-30-2006, 12:30 AM
Talked about a lot.
Probably only gonna work as a single shot.
Use the search function.

It might, not sure. For semi-auto pistol, if I remember correctly BATF regs, you have to DROS it as a pistol (not on the CA DOJ list, so you are out of luck there) and it could not have been a rifle prior. And since you can't DROS it as a pistol it would be a short barrel rifle (the barrel is around 7" and it would not make overall length), illegal in PRK.

EBWhite
03-30-2006, 12:38 AM
You need to buy it PPT as a pistol to be legal (someone moved and brought it into california)

You can buy the receiver (logged as a pistol by the manufacturer), dros it as a rifle in california and use it as a rifle here. Out of state you could remove the stock and add a pistol upper to it.

Rumpled
03-30-2006, 12:38 AM
New CA law, single shot w/6 1/2" barrel is exempt.
Get someone out of state to build a DPMS single shot receiver certified as not a rifle as a single shot = good to go.

EBWhite
03-30-2006, 12:40 AM
Rumpled you would also need the magazine to be fixed to keep it from being an AW

grammaton76
03-30-2006, 3:01 AM
Rumpled you would also need the magazine to be fixed to keep it from being an AW

To be exempt from drop test requirements, wouldn't you also have to have it be single shot only, no mag?

That's what I thought at first the MP5 receivers were... single shot's, but it turns out they're rifles instead.

kantstudien
03-30-2006, 3:58 AM
Aside from creating an "unsafe" handgun, you will also have a magazine outside of the pistol grip, another no-no.

Rumpled
03-30-2006, 9:46 AM
New CA law, single shot w/6 1/2" barrel is exempt.
Get someone out of state to build a DPMS single shot receiver certified as not a rifle as a single shot = good to go.

Go reread what I said.

Surveyor
03-30-2006, 9:51 AM
Okay guys, stop me if this has already been asked. What about a pistol with a vertical fore grip and a fixed beta-mag? Should be legal as long as the mag is fixed right? Right guys? Uh, hello?

mrhappym1a
03-30-2006, 10:27 AM
Okay guys, stop me if this has already been asked. What about a pistol with a vertical fore grip and a fixed beta-mag? Should be legal as long as the mag is fixed right? Right guys? Uh, hello?

Uh, no and no. Vertical foregrip on a pistol makes it an AW.

Fixed mag over ten rounds is bad.

Surveyor
03-30-2006, 10:43 AM
Uh, no and no. Vertical fore grip on a pistol makes it an AW.

Fixed mag over ten rounds is bad.

Yeah, I know, I was kidding, but thanks just the same for telling me. If I were a confused newbie, I would be in for some serious trouble! Actually, putting a vertical fore grip on a pistol makes it an AOW. That's like having a machine gun when it comes to criminal charges. :eek:

mrhappym1a
03-30-2006, 12:27 PM
Sorry, I'm a bit slow today.

Just like every other day.

gh429
03-31-2006, 1:19 AM
Wait one more time - what's the distinction between a pistol and SBR? Would a single shot SBR be legal? When does an SBR become a pistol?

Thanks in advance

kantstudien
03-31-2006, 1:37 AM
Well, if it has a stock and a barrel under 16in, then it is a SBR. It never "becomes" a pistol unless the manufacturer intended it and sold it as such...I think? :confused:

EBWhite
03-31-2006, 1:37 AM
GH- A SBR is a rifle with a stock and a barrel less than 16". You are required to register this with NFA.

A pistol can be a rifle or a pistol. A rifle receiver can never be a pistol...

A pistol cannot have a stock, but it may have any length barrel. If you have a pistol receiver and you feel like using it as a rifle one day, you may remove the upper and then put a 16"+ barrel and stock and your legal.

C.G.
03-31-2006, 1:40 AM
GH- A SBR is a rifle with a stock and a barrel less than 16". You are required to register this with NFA.

A pistol can be a rifle or a pistol. A rifle receiver can never be a pistol...

A pistol cannot have a stock, but it may have any length barrel. If you have a pistol receiver and you feel like using it as a rifle one day, you may remove the upper and then put a 16"+ barrel and stock and your legal.

As long as it is 30" minimum for a rifle.