PDA

View Full Version : S&W M&P: Any Good?

BuckTurgidson
06-14-2010, 9:41 AM
Interested in Calgunners' experience with Smith M&P auto pistols. How do ergonomics compare with 1911, Sig and HK? Fit and finish? Any reliability issues? Would really appreciate if we could limit discussion to actual experience rather than speculation.

Crovax
06-14-2010, 9:56 AM
While I have shot many guns, the M&P was the first gun I actually owned. There are far more knowledgable people here, but this is my experience.

My best friend from growing up became a deputy and carried a glock, so I had quite a bit of experience shooting his. I went to turners with every intention of buying a glock but I decided I should do the prudent thing and check out alternatives.

The clerk handed me an XD and I thought "wow, this feels so much better in my hand, I'm glad I didn't just buy the G17". I then asked if there were any other popular competitors and he handed me an M&P. I almost bought it right then and there because it felt PERFECT in my hand.

However, just to be sure I went to the range and put 50 rounds through an XD-9, 50 through an XD-40, 50 through an M&P-9, and 50 through an M&P 40.

It confirmed my original beliefs: I wanted the M&P. I went with a 9 so that I could get cheaper ammo to practice with.

Since buying my M&P I have put ~1500 rounds through it without one malfunction. I went through a training class where I shot over 200 rounds, dropping mags into dirty ground and just wiping them off on my jeans; still no problems.

I have also shot a 1911 and a SIG P226 since the purchase. I liked the 1911 a lot, but the grip was less comfortable to me than the M&P. The Sig felt good (better than 1911 imo), but still wasn't quite to the standard the M&P had set for me.

I put in an Apex tactical sear and carry spring (I did them myself with absolutely zero gunsmithing experience) which really smoothed out the trigger and gave it a better reset position. For $60 it was worth every penny.

It has been a great gun. Accurate and reliable.

BuckTurgidson
06-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Thanx, Crovax for that articulate review of your experience.

sholling
06-14-2010, 10:18 AM
I've been a 1911 guy for decades but I do love my M&P45! Part of the reason is that S&W designed it to mimic the ergonomics of the 1911. The grip angle is the same (or close to it), the width of the grip is roughly the same, the shape of the grip and the interchangeable backstraps allow it to fill the hand in the same way or fell slightly larger or smaller. The very low bore axis allows the much lighter M&P to feel like it has about the same or less felt recoil.

Where the M&P comes up short of the 1911 is the trigger. With a bit of work the M&P's trigger can be made quite good for a striker fired pistol, but nothing comes close to the perfection of a well tuned 1911 trigger. But for a fighting handgun the M&P's trigger is just fine and I'm impressed enough that I now own three. My original M&P45, plus a 9c and a 40c, and my M&P45 now occupies the place of honor next to my bed.

Reviews:
M&P45 (http://www.gunblast.com/SW-MP45.htm)
M&P9 (http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MP9.htm)
M&P40 (http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MP.htm)
M&P9c (http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MPCompact.htm)

chuck762
06-14-2010, 10:19 AM
I have 2 M&Ps. I will post something I posted on arfcom.

Ok, I have always been a 1911 guy after carrying one in the military and owning several over the years. My favorite is a caspian frame and slide that I built over the past several years getting everything to my liking. So a couple of years ago I bought a M&P 45 just for the hell of it. I had a glock 22 for a while but hated it. After selling it I wanted to try the newest plastic wonder gun so I bought the M&P .45 when it was on sale and they were offering 2 free mags and the rebate check. Waited my 10 days and picked it up. Off to the range I went. Tried it and thought well ok, it shoots but nothing to rave about. Oh well, at least it fit my hand unlike the glock.

It became a permanent resident in the safe while my 1911 went out every time. When Apex came out with the DAECK kit and everyone started raving about it I decided to try it and see if it could help me like the M&P. Well, it did. I was pretty happy about the new trigger feel. I took it to the range and now it felt so much better. I liked it so much I went out and bought a 9mm version as well. Installed the kit in that too.

I must say those 2 are now my favorite pistols. They seem like they are easier for me to shoot than the other pistols I own. My 1911 still has the better trigger but it should with all the money and time dumped into it but I don't have to try as hard with the M&Ps to get good groups.

I have never shot a SIG (not left hand friendly) so I can't comment on those. I have a USP40 also and while it is reliable and accurate the ergos are not the greatest for me. I can't get my hand high enough due to the frame shape. The M&P just seems to fit my hand best and you can experiment with the 3 different size back straps.

I have not had one malfunction. I have about 700 rds though my .45 and 500 though the 9mm. No, I haven't cleaned either one of them yet. Going back to the range tomorrow to put more rounds though both of them.

The 1911 is thinner as it should be being a single stack mag. The M&P is a little thicker but not nearly as thick as a glock 21, The M&P wins out on weight over the 1911.

Fit and finish is the same as the other plastic wonder guns. They get the job done but no one will ever ohh or ahhh over it like a finely blued colt 70 series.

I do like the M&P series so much that I am going to jump through the hoops to get a 9MM L though an intrafamily transfer from out of the state.

BuckTurgidson
06-14-2010, 10:37 AM
Sholling and Chuck762-Very nice reviews. Really appreciate all the info. It's starting to look as if these Smiths are seriously worth checking out.

Jason_2111
06-14-2010, 10:40 AM
From the "tiny" end of the scale, I've got the compact version of the M&P in .40.
I originally bought this gun on a "too good to pass up" deal, where a guy at work was selling it for cheap. He didn't want to part with it, but got in trouble with the misses or something like that.
In any case, my first and every range experience with it thus far (about 1,200 rounds), has been pleasant surprise. The ergo is quite nice for my hands with the medium backstrap, and ok for my wife with the small backstrap.
The biggest surprise is the accuracy. It's way more accurate than I expect every time I shoot it.

On my wish list is the full size one in .40.

I'd say that for the money, you won't be disappointed.

BuckTurgidson
06-14-2010, 10:53 AM
OK, Jason 2111. Appreciate it.

IMC87
06-14-2010, 11:00 AM
Quick post since I'm on break from work..
I'm a 1911 guy, just love everything about it, and how the sights come to my eyes rather than vice versa... Now, I've been eyeing an m&p for a while, and finally rented one, and I also love everything about that gun too! I shot very well and loved the feel of it. It's my next purchase

Onyx13
06-14-2010, 11:01 AM
If you like glock style handguns, then I would definitely recommend the M&P.

I have been a Glock owner for a number of years now. A Glock 19 which I enjoy to shoot and use for IDPA. I had been wanting to upgrade the caliber of my weapon for a little while now to a .40 caliber. My personal preference is that they have better stopping power than the 9mm and a smoother recoil on top of it.

I went to my local range and but 50-100 rounds through ever .40 caliber the had to rent (Glock, Sig, XD, Kahr, S&W, etc.) and over a dozen handguns later I had come up with two that worked very well for me. S&W M&P 40 and Glock 27. They were the later of the weapons used but the best groupings which adding shooting fatigue into the mix definite told me something about these handguns.

After some online research into my top contenders, I ended up purchasing the S&W M&P 40. Some things that pushed me over the edge were grips, capacity, and barrel length. I have never been a big fan of the glocks grips since the 3rd gen (my glock 19 is 2nd gen), my fingers just don't fit right in the grooves. But with the interchangeable grip sizes with the M&P it's very easy to find one that just feels right. You could even change it between shooters as it takes all of about 10 secs to change it out. As far as the capacity, I know it a little unfair as I was comparing a sub compact to a compact size handgun, but even the M&P 40C has a 10+1 round capacity where the Glock 27 only has 8 or 9. Again, barrel length is a bit unfair comparison, but I felt the M&P was a better fit for me in the long run as both an IDPA and CCW weapon.

At this point, I still have my Glock 19, but if I continue to enjoy shooting the M&P as much as I do now, the 19 may be up for sale soon.

Gryff
06-14-2010, 11:08 AM
An M&P40 Compact is my CCW gun (after shifting from a Glock 23). Love it, and zero issues with it.

BuckTurgidson
06-14-2010, 11:12 AM
IMC87, thanks for the quick blast on break & Onyx13, enjoyed your Glock vs M&P comparison.

BuckTurgidson
06-14-2010, 11:15 AM
OK Gryff! Holy smoke, I'm checking these Smiths out toot sweet! And sincere thanks again to everyone's lightning fast, reasoned, and informative responses!

imtheomegaman
06-14-2010, 12:09 PM
While not experienced with a ton of other handguns, I have owned the M&P .40 for a bit over a year now and can tell you I have been very pleased with it. It has noticeably less (perceived by me) kick back than two Glock 9's (one older one newer) that I have plenty of range time with. "It fits my hand like a glove" is very true.
I can't imagine you would be disappointed with any of this class of firearm. Glock, Sig, S&W and others are well built and have built awesome reputations for good reason.
I like my M&P and I'd imagine you would like one too.

Fate
06-14-2010, 12:23 PM
With the Apex add-ons, my M&P .45 became my all time favorite pistol. I really want a compact model now too.

Olav
06-14-2010, 12:29 PM
I have a M&P9 and M&P9c

They are both great guns.

Here's me having some fun using my M&P9c.

wmkHToeK6p8

plan-b
06-14-2010, 2:56 PM
I have 2 Glocks (19 & 21SF). I have 4 HKs (USP .45, USPc .45, P2000sk, P30L). I have 2 Berettas (92FS Brigadier & PX4 Storm). I have 3 Walthers (P22 and a pair of P99s). Rounding out the collection: a Nighthawk GRP Recon, Springfield EMP, SIG P220 and... an M&P .45

My P99s will always be my favorites, I highly doubt any gun manufacturer will be able to come up with a gun design better than that during my lifetime. I've always favored my HKs above the rest of the family too. A few weeks ago, I bought and installed the Apex sear in my M&P. Just the sear. After shooting it 2 Saturdays ago, the M&P is now #2 behind my P99s. The difference a $40 part can make is nothing short of astonishing to me. Bone stock, they're very good guns. With one aftermarket part and about 5 minutes of work time with a punch, they become truly spectacular guns. I've already decided I'm buying 2 more M&Ps. One in 9mm and for the first time, I'll also be buying a .40S&W. That's how much I like these guns now. Oh, and obviously, I'll be putting Apex parts into them. :)

Icypu
06-14-2010, 4:28 PM
The only thing I don't like about the M&P, is that many times when you insert the magazine, the slide automatically releases forward. I don't have this problem on any of the guns I own, but its not something I prefer.

Other than that, my nephew really enjoys the fit in his hand. When I shot with it, I had no special feeling.

Crovax
06-14-2010, 4:43 PM
The only thing I don't like about the M&P, is that many times when you insert the magazine, the slide automatically releases forward. I don't have this problem on any of the guns I own, but its not something I prefer.

I have personally never had this happen. That is a safety issue and should definitely be looked at.

I would guess that if you called S&W they would gladly fix it.

Gryff
06-14-2010, 4:48 PM

Other than that, my nephew really enjoys the fit in his hand. When I shot with it, I had no special feeling.

You see that regularly happen on Glocks (usually during competition or drills where the shooter inserts the magazine with significant force). Some Glock owners actually consider this a perk (I don't though).

Personally, I've never seen it happen with my M&Pc.

Icypu
06-14-2010, 5:00 PM
I have personally never had this happen. That is a safety issue and should definitely be looked at.

My feedback is based on a few experiences on firing range guns. Actually I used a M&P 9 and M&P 40 at two different ranges on 3 occasions , but never owned one for this reason. When I asked the attendants they said it was common with the M&P, and also that those models have shot a few thousand rounds a week.

Sometimes I slam a mag into my Steyr or XD 40 and nothing happens which is the way it should be I think.

Brian2217
06-14-2010, 5:01 PM
I own a M&P .45, I am now looking at getting a M&P .40 compact.

There is not much I can add, that has not already been said. I guess the only thing I can say, is go rent one and try it out.

Good luck in your search,

Brian

Scratch705
06-14-2010, 5:01 PM
My feedback is based on a few experiences on firing range guns. Actually I used a M&P 9 and M&P 40 at two different ranges on 3 occasions , but never owned one for this reason. When I asked the attendants they said it was common with the M&P, and also that those models have shot a few thousand rounds a week.

Sometimes I slam a mag into my Steyr or XD 40 and nothing happens which is the way it should be I think.maybe it is due to being a range gun, which means rounded slide catch. and the misuse of the slide catch to release to slide does not help either.

Ron-Solo
06-14-2010, 5:09 PM
I love mine. I have the 9mm, and want to get the .45

sholling
06-14-2010, 6:21 PM

This was discussed to death on the M&P board and is considered a non-issue and S&W will tell you the same thing.

corporateslave
06-14-2010, 6:34 PM
I love my m&p. I am very pleased with it's performance and the overall quality of the gun.

You might want to check out the results of this torture test:
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=60501

Dr Rockso
06-14-2010, 6:34 PM

On the Magpul Art of the Dynamic Handgun DVD Costa demonstrates this technique with his M&P as well as a Beretta 92. When he inserts the mag with a motion perpendicular to the grip it remains open, when he hits it up and forward they both feed the first round on mag insertion.

neomentat
06-14-2010, 6:36 PM
Excellent gun, I sold my tricked out P229 in .40 after I bought my M&P 40 FS. It has the best recoil characteristic out of all .40 cal pistols I've ever owned, and I've had a lot. Never had any malfunctions with the weapon, the trigger smoothed up ALOT after dry firing a bit.

However, I got rid of it also due to it's "ergonomics". Whenever I drew the weapon I found my finger automatically land inside the trigger guard and that's a problem. Maybe it's because I'm used to Glocks but the risk of an accidental discharge is simply unacceptable.

RollingCode3
06-14-2010, 6:39 PM

This is not a safety issue. It is very common. Check out

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?showforum=59

My glock does that from time to time too. If you slam it hard enough or at a certain angle, the slide will close and load one round in the chamber.

Legasat
06-14-2010, 6:47 PM
I went through about 20 pistols a couple of years ago when i was looking for a 9mm. I chose the best 3, and put them through a semi-final. M&P Won.

I now own 3 of them (9mm, 9c, .45). They kind of grow on you.

Comfortable, accurate, reliable, easy-to-shoot.

Highly recommended.

Packy14
06-14-2010, 9:25 PM
i think its funny when people name "capacity" as a selling point. Unless you are LEO, your capacity is 10.

DerGlock
06-14-2010, 9:51 PM

I think its great. Once the new mag is in I want to release the slide anyway. I hope my new M&P that I pick up next week will do it.

My Beretta also does it BTW.

Notblake
06-14-2010, 10:13 PM
I think its great. Once the new mag is in I want to release the slide anyway. I hope my new M&P that I pick up next week will do it.

My Beretta also does it BTW.

Its a not so great feature to be honest, because if you get used to it, murphy will curse you and the one time you need that second mag, you will slam it home and the slide wont close. But you will be used to it closing automatically, so you will be on target with a still empty chamber..... its full of bad. That being said i still love the m&P series.

SeanCasey
06-14-2010, 10:23 PM
My wife just bought an M&P .40 and loves it. It replaced her XD-45 Tactical and overall feels it is a significant improvement. The small grip fits her hand perfectly and the large grip fit me great. If I was't so dead set on getting a Sig P226 I'd get an M&P.

RobG
06-14-2010, 11:04 PM
I will add that I traded for a full size in 40 and really like the pistol. Great ergos, accurate, smooth shooting. I had my 220, 4506, and M&P recently on a trip with a bunch of friends and most felt the M&P fit and shot the best for them.

l8apex
06-14-2010, 11:10 PM
M&P are great firearms, particularly if you are looking for that type of platform that have interchangeable grips. The full size MP45 has the same grip size in S/M as the MP9 - never had the chance to compare the L size grips. Quite the feat if you ask me.

dirtnap
06-14-2010, 11:19 PM
love mine, 6K rounds and counting and it's been flawless. I do get the occasional slide release when I slam a mag home under pressure, but it's been a benefit so far.

mcsoupman
06-14-2010, 11:25 PM
There is mine in the avatar. I have shot various pistols, but not everything. Mine is comfortable and easy to shot. It was also the recommendation from the guys at Defensive Firearms Training. www.dftraining.net

Echidin
06-14-2010, 11:27 PM
You see that regularly happen on Glocks (usually during competition or drills where the shooter inserts the magazine with significant force). Some Glock owners actually consider this a perk (I don't though).

Personally, I've never seen it happen with my M&Pc.

Heard about that happening to some Glock owners as well. I've never had that occur with any of my Glocks though, nor has it happened to any other Glock owner I personally know.

Bottom line is M&P is a go!

RT13
06-15-2010, 1:10 AM
Go shoot one or buy one to find out. I have the M&P45 and it is second only to my Sig P220ST. As far as polymers go, I put my M&P above HK and Glock. And yes I own a few Glocks and HK USP's. The only thing that it is not better at than the HK and Glock is the trigger pull. It is on the heavy side but can easily be lightened. And it works fine for me since it's a HD pistol. But I love the M&P line. I have heard of certain issues with the M&P9 but not the 45. So far, my M&P45 has been flawless. No issues with anything including the magazine slam releasing the slide forward.

GunLover
06-15-2010, 6:41 AM
Great guns. Buy one, install trigger upgrade and be happy.

CA PI
06-15-2010, 6:58 AM
I own an m&p40 that I carried on my permit for a couple of years and I like it very much. The only real down side to that handgun, for me, was the trigger reset. It is not as "sharp" as I wanted. Ergonomics are GREAT. I ended up switching to a G17 for the trigger reset and because we travel all over the country training LEOs and that firearm is much more prevalent.

mag318
06-15-2010, 7:19 AM
I own 3 M&Ps, a 9, 9c and a 45c. Up until the mid 80s Smith & Wesson owned the LEO market. Then when departments started the transition to semi autos the Beretta 92 was the favorite. Glock came on the scene and virtually gave departments their pistols until the acquired the lions share of the market. S&W got serious about regaining their market share and the M&P line is the result. They did their homework and now are really making inroads into the LEO market they once owned.
The only modifications I've made to my pistols was sending them to Robar for their wonderful NP3 electroless nickle finish. Having owned several Glocks and XDs I have to say I prefer the M&Ps although you can't really go wrong with any of them. It all comes down to feel and a pistol that feels better in your hand will generally shoot better. I love the feel of the M&Ps with my favorite being the M&P45c.

Sam Adams
06-15-2010, 7:50 AM
Own two M&P's,.45 and 9mm. Both have functioned flawlessly with thousands of rounds through them. Good quality and value for the money.

surfinguru
06-15-2010, 9:35 AM
Full size 9mm owner here. I've owned mine for about two years now and it's been rock solid. I've done several training classes (just wrapped up the Front Sight 4 day defensive handgun class) and have put close to 3500 rounds through it now. Zero malfunctions, couple of bad primers over that time, but that's it. The trigger is much better now after so many rounds down range, but the reset is still a little vauge. Apex sear or maybe the full kit will be coming soon.

Again, it's a solid gun that's been 100 percent reliable. As long as it feels good in your hand, I don't see how you can go wrong.

Monticore
06-15-2010, 10:22 AM
This is not a safety issue. It is very common. Check out

http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?showforum=59

My glock does that from time to time too. If you slam it hard enough or at a certain angle, the slide will close and load one round in the chamber.

On top of the above link-
From page 16 of the owners manual:
WARNING: DO NOT USE EXCESSIVE UPWARD FORCE
WHEN INSERTING A LOADED MAGAZINE INTO THE
PISTOL. EXCESSIVE UPWARD FORCE COULD CAUSE
THE SLIDE TO MOVE FORWARD, CHAMBERING A ROUND AND
MAKING THE PISTOL READY TO FIRE.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore/SmWesson2/upload/other/S&W_M&P_Pistol_Manual.pdf

Shenaniguns
06-15-2010, 11:27 AM
Interested in Calgunners' experience with Smith M&P auto pistols. How do ergonomics compare with 1911, Sig and HK? Fit and finish? Any reliability issues? Would really appreciate if we could limit discussion to actual experience rather than speculation.

Here is my journey so far with the M&P, read the 5 pages when you have time:
http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=25202&st=0

I posted this on other forums last week so I figure I'd post it here :)

So I'm still on the hunt for "The Perfect Handgun" for ME After trying 7 Glocks of various calibers, a Sig P226R DAK, USP .40 and a near perfect 1911 that I decided to try a full size M&P 9mm with influence from Apex Tactical. Unless somebody asks me to list the Pro's and Cons of the other platforms I won't get into specifics and will usually compare the 9mm Glocks to the new M&P which I won't have in my hands for another 2 weeks. My recent 9mm Glocks were fantastic firearms with only one malfunction in 15,000 rounds between both of them not caused by me which was a Fail to Feed on my G34 with a worn recoil spring and a weak load. I've always overlooked fitment in my hand since I shot my Glocks better under all conditions than anything else I previously owned but the M&P fits better in my hand and I can drop the mag w/o shifting my grip, but I wonder how I will shoot one. Some of the deterring factors for me with the M&P were:

- The horribly creepy trigger with a non-distinct reset which was the biggest reason
- Teething problems the first couple of years with the MIM strikers breaking from dry firing and are now secretly on their fourth revision made of Stainless Steel.
- Problems with the inconsistent extracting example: http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=50894
- Quality Control seem to be hit or miss and there has been plenty of bad barrels that needed to be replaced.
- They seem to rust easier since the melonite process for 'Stainless' Steel stops at Quench Polish vs. Glocks carbon steel slides which are Quench Polish Quench more info here: www.burlingtoneng.com/melonite.html

Now what has changed my mind and makes me actually want to take the plunge? Apex Tactical Specialties ATS has addressed some of the issues that I have with the M&P with its new line of high quality parts to improve the feel of the trigger overall from the initial pull, over travel stop and reset. I'm going with the DCAEK personally since this will be a carry gun and want a 5-5.5# trigger pull. ATS also has an upgraded extractor releasing soon and an upgraded striker down the line so I might as well throw those in too.

So as of right now, this is what I have ordered or soon to be ordered:

-M&P 9mm picking up 04/20/10
- Heinie Sights with Tritium front only www.heinie.com/product_info.php?products_id=169
-Occidental Leather's IWB designed by Tim Thurner of TT Gunleather with only a 10 day turn around www.ttgunleather.com/catalog/i72.html At Post Office
-S&W 2 mag or $50 off promotion which ends in May
-Raven Concealment OWB for M&P and x300 75 days to go
-x300 next week
-Shot Timer eventually
:whistle:

evidens83
06-15-2010, 11:42 AM
I shot my buddies 9mm. I want one!!

Shenaniguns
06-15-2010, 11:42 AM
I love my m&p. I am very pleased with it's performance and the overall quality of the gun.

You might want to check out the results of this torture test:
http://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=60501

Right from the source:

http://pistol-training.com/archives/category/range-reports/mp-monday/page/2

DerGlock
06-15-2010, 11:44 AM
The only modifications I've made to my pistols was sending them to Robar for their wonderful NP3 electroless nickle finish. M&P45c.

That looks great! Very similar to the factory 2 tone that is now available.

Shenaniguns
06-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Heard about that happening to some Glock owners as well. I've never had that occur with any of my Glocks though, nor has it happened to any other Glock owner I personally know.

Bottom line is M&P is a go!

I have done it with my own Glocks if I slam the mag in, my M&P 9 will do it with medium force.

pyro3k2
06-15-2010, 12:01 PM
I've external holster carried a 92fs, 1911, glock 17, and now a S&W m&p 45. I started out with the 92fs coming out of the military since I know that family or firearms like the back of my hand. I wanted something lighter for carry and ended up with a G17. After some time I didn't really want to carry a 9mm anymore so I started carring my 1911 that quickly faded as I didn't want to external holster carry a 1,200 gun, just for it to get beat up. So here I am with my m&p45 and could not be happier, take down and ease of use is like the 92fs. Its light, durable, and reliable like the glocks and packing the .45 that my 1911 has. For me it's a perfect blend of all the firearms i've carried.

They also give you some cool things with the firearm like the interchangable palm swells for your hand, and the take down tool isn't just a one trick pony. It also can be used as a punch for the 2 retaining pins in the grip, so all you need to completely strip down your firearm is a hammer or something heavy. The accessories for the m&p are really starting to come out of the wood works as well as aftermarket support. Still not close to the 1911 or glocks but you still have A LOT of choices left.

If you can find/get to a range that lets you rent all the ones you have in question you will find that the mp's no matter what cal you get are hard to beat and will give any firearm a run for their money.

Shenaniguns
06-15-2010, 12:15 PM
My current configuration for those too lazy to follow my link posted:

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv166/Samcro1_2009/DSCN2663.jpg

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv166/Samcro1_2009/DSCN2662.jpg

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv166/Samcro1_2009/DSCN2661.jpg

http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv166/Samcro1_2009/DSCN2660.jpg

Apex DCAEK
Apex Extractor
Heinie Ledge Sights
Texturing by Broken Arrow Tactical

corrupt
06-21-2010, 12:54 AM
You can make the slide release when inserting a magazine in many guns. Some people can do this consistently and rely on it, while others don't. I do this on my favorite p226. I just insert the magazine with some pressure going forward instead of just vertical.

J_Rock
06-21-2010, 1:01 AM
Its a not so great feature to be honest, because if you get used to it, murphy will curse you and the one time you need that second mag, you will slam it home and the slide wont close. But you will be used to it closing automatically, so you will be on target with a still empty chamber..... its full of bad. That being said i still love the m&P series.

Thats a training issue not a hardware problem.

BunnySlayer
06-21-2010, 1:10 AM
I dont own one and probably wont. I will say this though. I worked the booth for Smith and Wesson at the shooting sports fair a few weeks ago. We had only one M&P in 9mm for all to use. It was the most popular and requested gun through all three days except for the little AR -22. It wasnt cleaned the entire time and it never malfunctioned once that I saw. I was impressed with it.

steveinmpk
07-04-2010, 11:21 AM
I have owned both the full-size M&P .45 and the compact .40. Both were purchased new about a year ago.

The .45 had lots of feeding and extraction problems, right out of the box. S&W replaced the barrel and it has worked fine ever since. Very accurate, nice out-of-the-box trigger (I am used to Glocks).

The .40 Compact worked flawlessly, right out of the box. Again, very accurate, nice trigger.

Biggest advantage for me is the grip-feel and related pointability of the gun. Far superior to the Glock for my hands, which are large, but not huge. Strangely, all three backstrap combos felt better to me than any of my Glocks. (I have the following Glocks: 19, 23, 34, 36).

Biggest disadvantage is the spotty quality control. S&W will fix it, but what if it fails when you need it? I have shot many thousands of rounds through my Glocks, without a single operational malfunction.

Shenaniguns
07-04-2010, 12:56 PM
I have owned both the full-size M&P .45 and the compact .40. Both were purchased new about a year ago.

The .45 had lots of feeding and extraction problems, right out of the box. S&W replaced the barrel and it has worked fine ever since. Very accurate, nice out-of-the-box trigger (I am used to Glocks).

The .40 Compact worked flawlessly, right out of the box. Again, very accurate, nice trigger.

Biggest advantage for me is the grip-feel and related pointability of the gun. Far superior to the Glock for my hands, which are large, but not huge. Strangely, all three backstrap combos felt better to me than any of my Glocks. (I have the following Glocks: 19, 23, 34, 36).

Biggest disadvantage is the spotty quality control. S&W will fix it, but what if it fails when you need it? I have shot many thousands of rounds through my Glocks, without a single operational malfunction.

I feel the same...

mwt1980
07-04-2010, 1:16 PM
Awesome Pistol... Apex Tactical has some fantastic upgrades.

40cal.
07-04-2010, 5:30 PM
I have a M&P 40 compact as my CCW weapon, I've run maybe 1500 rounds with no problems and it feels good in my hand. Had a Dan Burwell trigger job and it's quick and accurate. Can't think of anything else I'd rather carry. My next handgun may be an M&P 45 in a full size for a range gun.

pingpong
07-04-2010, 5:35 PM
The only bad thing I can say about my M&P9 is that it that the chamber seems to be a smidgen tighter than an XD9, Glock, or P226/8.

When shooting reloads where the brass casing is very slightly larger than normal, the round will refuse to chamber all the way, and I have to punch it out from the other end of the barrel. I can put that same round into my other 9mm's and have no problems at all.

Besides that I've never had any jams with it, FMJ or JHP,+P or normal.