PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Gov Strickland (DEM) picks up NRA endorsement

Steyr_223
06-14-2010, 7:24 AM
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/06/14/strickland-picks-up-nra-endorsement/?fbid=GiLpUg_1uAH#more-108589

(CNN) Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland, a Democrat, picked up the support of the National Rifle Association Monday, offering voters a reminder of his culturally conservative views as he battles Republican John Kasich in a difficult re-election bid.

It's the NRA's first general election endorsement of the 2010 cycle.

"Our members will interpret your 'A+' rating and endorsement as an indication that you are a pro-Second Amendment, pro-hunting candidate who supports sportsmen and gun-owners on every issue," said Chris Cox, the chairman of the NRA's Political Victory Fund, in a letter to Strickland provided to CNN by a source familiar with the decision.

In backing Strickland, the NRA cited his vote while in Congress against the 1994 assault weapons ban.

Kasich, also in Congress at the time, voted for the legislation and earned an "F" rating from the NRA that year, though his ratings from the group have since climbed out of the cellar.

Strickland has a narrow lead over Kasich according to recent polling.

The endorsement is not a major surprise given Strickland's lifetime "A" rating from the NRA. Earlier this year, the group described Kasich's record on firearms as "mixed."

The gun rights group did not take sides in the 2006 governor's race between Strickland and his GOP opponent Ken Blackwell - but they did back Strickland in his Democratic primary.

The endorsement is the second bit of good news in recent days for Strickland as he campaigns against the headwind of a volatile political climate and his state's unsettling jobless rate.

On Friday, Strickland's campaign announced having $7.7 million on hand for the campaign a $2 million advantage over Kasich. Both campaigns collected roughly $1.3 million during the most recent fundraising period.

Barabas
06-14-2010, 7:33 AM
I wonder if another Democratic candidate for governor will pick up an endorsement?

If Meg Whitman gets one, I'll never support the NRA again.

elenius
06-14-2010, 8:22 AM
I'm pretty sure the NRA will stay out of the CA gov race, since their endorsement hurts more than it helps here...

7x57
06-14-2010, 8:38 AM
I wonder if another Democratic candidate for governor will pick up an endorsement?

Why? You worried about JB winning and want the NRA to help torpedo him with an endorsement that his party will loathe?

Why? Because they'd be giving JB slow pitches in the middle of the strike zone to score against her?

7x57

FirstFlight
06-14-2010, 9:37 AM

The NRA makes it's endorsements on candidates that have shown their support of the 2A either in their questionniare or the candidates proven past history. The NRA does not endorse candidates because of the political party they belong to or the way they comb their hair. In California if neither candidate measures up then no endorsement will be given. Across the country it is not unusual for Democrats to be endorsed. It happens all the time.

Barabas
06-14-2010, 9:38 AM
I wonder if another Democratic candidate for governor will pick up an endorsement?Why? You worried about JB winning and want the NRA to help torpedo him with an endorsement that his party will loathe?

I'm concerned that the NRA's endorsement might be a poison pill.

If Meg Whitman gets one, I'll never support the NRA again.Why? Because they'd be giving JB slow pitches in the middle of the strike zone to score against her?

7x57

The fact that the NRA's endorsement in CA elections is tantamount to a poison pill makes me sick, but to knowingly use it as such against someone who has no interest in the 2nd Amendment at all, is even more disgusting.

BigDogatPlay
06-14-2010, 11:11 AM
As much as I like John Kasich (http://www.ontheissues.org/OH/John_Kasich_Gun_Control.htm) across any number of issues, his vote in Congress in favor of the 1994 federal AWB does not make him look good. He';s made a number of solid, pro-rights and pro common sense statements over the years, but that AWB vote is what most gun owners have a hard time getting past.

Compare and contrast to Ted Strickland (http://www.ontheissues.org/Governor/Ted_Strickland_Gun_Control.htm)

If an Ohio voter is going to go single issue, and that issue is guns, then Strickland is going to be a better choice based on history. Google "ted strickland gun rights" and read for yourselves.

All that said, I can't imagine the NRA will endorse anyone in the CA governor's race.

7x57
06-14-2010, 11:19 AM
The fact that the NRA's endorsement in CA elections is tantamount to a poison pill makes me sick, but to knowingly use it as such against someone who has no interest in the 2nd Amendment at all, is even more disgusting.

I guess I should have signaled that I was being purely sarcastic. In reality there is no way the NRA will ever endorse Whitman because she's no good on guns, and no way they'll endorse JB because they're too politically astute to embarrass their friends.

Think about the dynamics. They can't endorse someone just to hurt them because the members, not understanding that they're playing hardball politics, will get unhappy. They can and do, however, purposely avoid endorsing candidates they like if they think the endorsement will hurt.

They also have been known to do an "anybody but X" campaign to avoid endorsing someone for whom the endorsement would be a liability as well as just to penalize a candidate who is particularly bad. The latter happened with Campbell. I got several calls from multiple conservative issue groups including the NRA (if you think arms are a conservative issue), all with an "anybody but Campbell" message.

7x57

bwiese
06-14-2010, 11:21 AM
All that said, I can't imagine the NRA will endorse anyone in the CA governor's race.

I don't see an endorsement either.

I see maybe a public grade of C+ for JB, and C- for Meg, with the underground understanding showing the extent of the distance between those two grades. If they give Meg an F she has nothing to possibly gain if she wins.

However, out-of-band messsages from alternate sources should carry weight to achieve full understanding :)

bwiese
06-14-2010, 11:22 AM
They also have been known to do an "anybody but X" campaign to avoid endorsing someone for whom the endorsement would be a liability as well as just to penalize a candidate who is particularly bad. The latter happened with Campbell.

That also happened in SD Sheriff's race - "anybody but Gore".

There's a message there - contrast that with the DeVore/Fiorina situation where BOTH got the NRA nod, and early. This was *not* couched as "anybody but Boxer".

bulgron
06-14-2010, 12:42 PM
They can and do, however, purposely avoid endorsing candidates they like if they think the endorsement will hurt.

It is also (usually) true that a candidate has to seek NRA endorsement before the NRA will issue an endorsement.

So if Brown wants the NRA to stay out the governor's race, all he has to do is not fill in the NRA's questionnaire that they send out to political candidates.