PDA

View Full Version : Rifle legality question

Chunky_lover
06-14-2010, 6:18 AM
If I took the bolt out of a rifle, so its incapable of firing a centerfire round does it still have to follow the rules, on overall length? If I wanted to make a display item, then when I want to use it I make it legal then add the bolt is that cool? This is just about length on a folding stock not anything else. I would either have to add length to the barrel or pin the stock open to make it over 30 inches oal.

paul0660
06-14-2010, 6:24 AM
I am pretty sure you have to permanently disable it, for instance by welding. Would a muzzle brake add enough length?

CSDGuy
06-14-2010, 6:40 AM
I'd think that you'd have to permanently disable it, so that it no longer can function as a working firearm. Otherwise, you'll have to permanently make it so that it's over 30" OAL. Now if you could get it reg'd as a SBR... or something like that, you'd be fine.

Since you're apparently wanting to use it, your options are:

make it 30" OAL or longer
Register it as a SBR

Making it 30" OAL might be cheapest and most feasible.

762cavalier
06-14-2010, 6:40 AM
If I took the bolt out of a rifle, so its incapable of firing a centerfire round does it still have to follow the rules, on overall length? If I wanted to make a display item, then when I want to use it I make it legal then add the bolt is that cool? This is just about length on a folding stock not anything else. I would either have to add length to the barrel or pin the stock open to make it over 30 inches oal.

Yes if you remove the bolt you just have a broken centerfire rifle.;)

bwiese
06-14-2010, 8:49 AM
It would still likely be regarded as an AW, even though it's missing a part and is 'broken'.

This situation actually happened in LA (the dude had other problems with his gun as well, from what I recall) and involved a
FAL clone with bolt removed. He was still convicted on a 12280 charge of some sort.

Make sure your off-list black rifles are operational and differ in sufficient key areas to not be a generic AW. Don't be "cute",
use either a BulletButton-style maglock device, or go featureless and use a MonsterMan grip or a U15 or Exile machine stock.

Chunky_lover
06-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Appreciate the input. I had a fake can but it was on backorder so I just cancelled it and I was just wondering so I could post pics of it folded, and didnt want to get hassled by it being Illegal because it was folded, just in pictures. I will just lock it open.