PDA

View Full Version : AK/AR pistol with m.m.g. and detach mag, legal?

bronco1500
06-13-2010, 9:43 PM
Just curious if it has been thought of before. The flowchart states that among other things "does the firearm have a detach mag outside of the pistol grip." If it does it is illegal......What if the gun does not have a pistol grip? A monster Man Grip has been determined to NOT be a pistol grip. The mag would not be outside of the pistol grip because there is no pistol grip.

Anybody done research on this?

*this was also posted in the 2A forum for a greater number of responses*

Notblake
06-13-2010, 9:47 PM
I think that is a no-no, doesn't a pistol need a pistol grip to be a pistol? =P

Cokebottle
06-13-2010, 9:49 PM
Not legal.

Pistol AW regs are different from rifle regs.
The fact that the magazine attaches at some place other than the grip puts it under AW status if it has a detachable magazine.

bronco1500
06-13-2010, 9:51 PM
I got my info from the HANDGUN flowchart. the penal code states something like "the ability to accept a detach mag at a location outside of the pistol grip."

Has anybody contacted the DOJ over this idea?

mydogsmonkey
06-13-2010, 9:52 PM
taking the grip off on the otherhand may be a different story
i'm not a lawyer though

Cokebottle
06-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Has anybody contacted the DOJ over this idea?
You won't get a straight answer from them.

Seriously... this is like the mag magnet, found high-caps and other similar threads.

We are fortunate to have had people more educated in the law than us be able to find ways WITHIN (not around) the law to enable us to legally own what many in Sacramento would still consider assault weapons.

It is VERY important that we not have successful prosecutions of AW charges on an off-list lower.

I know the BB is a pain, but it's better than top loading, and better than sitting in jail because the DA's interpretation of the law doesn't agree with yours.

gunn
06-13-2010, 10:40 PM
In the scenario where you have an AK without a grip and are grasping the gun by the magazine, how would you propose to shoot it?
If you are gripping it with one hand at the magazine, and are pulling the trigger with the other hand, wouldn't you now have a "gun designed to be shot with more than one hand".

Therefore, by my line of reasoning, this new configuration would be an AOW, right?
-g

1911Operator
06-14-2010, 1:07 AM
heres the solution to everything. move out of this state! im actually considering moving. i need my off roster handguns, high cap mags, compact assault rifles , silencers , ect...

Notblake
06-14-2010, 1:27 AM
heres the solution to everything. move out of this state! im actually considering moving. i need my off roster handguns, high cap mags, compact assault rifles , silencers , ect...

Want a roommate?

I'm so over it. I'm so tired of looking at videos of other Americans with their freedoms and thinking .... I wish I was free..... I feel like I live in the UK this state doesn't fee like the USA.

-end rant

1911Operator
06-14-2010, 1:54 AM
Want a roommate?

I'm so over it. I'm so tired of looking at videos of other Americans with their freedoms and thinking .... I wish I was free..... I feel like I live in the UK this state doesn't fee like the USA.

-end rant

yeah seriously, moving to indianapolis would be ideal. $160,000 huge 4 bedrooms homes that are new. and all the toys you can handle. also, the average income is not bad, you could live very good out there!

xLusi0n
06-14-2010, 7:54 AM
You don't have to move that far. Nevada and Arizona is a 4-5 hour drive or a cheap/short flight back to CA. You can get huge homes there for under 200K and it's not BFE either. If you lived in Las Vegas or Phoenix, you have outdoor life 30 min away or downtown/strip 10 min away. Nevada has no state income tax either. Both states allow Class III weapons. Only thing missing is the beach...but I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've been to the beach each year.

bigcalidave
06-14-2010, 8:11 AM
Stay! Help fight! You wanna live in Vegas? That's like living in la, but at 110 every day and no ocean in the background! Maybe nfa stuff is a long ways out, but CA will have a lot of problems keeping us from owning the same things the rest of the country has in a short time! We need gun owners here, helping us avoid the apathy that led to the last set of laws.
Moving away gives us less votes!

ke6guj
06-14-2010, 1:46 PM
In the scenario where you have an AK without a grip and are grasping the gun by the magazine, how would you propose to shoot it?
If you are gripping it with one hand at the magazine, and are pulling the trigger with the other hand, wouldn't you now have a "gun designed to be shot with more than one hand".

Therefore, by my line of reasoning, this new configuration would be an AOW, right?
-gI would be afraid that it could easily be considered an AOW at that point.