PDA

View Full Version : SoCal Pigs for 2010-2011 season

junko p
06-13-2010, 6:20 PM
I have been doing a bit of research and it looks like the local natives down here let loose some pigs that are getting into public lands. I am a 2nd year hunter and have hunted rabbit, quail, turkey. I would like to hunt pig :chef: this year. Anyone down here interested in going with a newb in SoCal. I have done some net research on their location and will start scouting in the next couple weeks.

Post up your comments and send me a PM if you are interested in going sometime.

-----June 24 Update-----

Ok, it is on my calendar. First weekend of July (yes it is 4th of July weekend, and I am celebrating my independence by going hunting), I am headed out fully geared up and ready to spend a fully day out there if that is what it takes. PM me if you want to meet up and I will give you the location and time to meet.

Cougar125
06-14-2010, 1:59 AM
Always interested in going when I have the availability. Divorce should soon be final so I'll have more funds available that aren't dedicated to my entertainment (i.e. buying guns and bows and bullets)

professionalcoyotehunter
06-14-2010, 7:25 AM
My bow is still waiting for you buddy:D and I lowered the price to $240 with everything you saw.

ZX-10R
06-14-2010, 8:06 AM
I have been doing a bit of research and it looks like the local natives down here let loose some pigs that are getting into public lands. I am a 2nd year hunter and have hunted rabbit, quail, turkey. I would like to hunt pig :chef: this year. Anyone down here interested in going with a newb in SoCal. I have done some net research on their location and will start scouting in the next couple weeks.

Post up your comments and send me a PM if you are interested in going sometime.

Where and how much? Someone posted a link in for a Pig Hunt in NorCal that a buddy and I have agreed to do for $450. Is this one a random one in BLM?

junko p
06-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Where and how much? Someone posted a link in for a Pig Hunt in NorCal that a buddy and I have agreed to do for $450. Is this one a random one in BLM?

This is on public lands in the San Diego area. So yea it is a random one. So the only cost is your gear and getting there!

I will be out scouting this weekend and I will post the likelyhood of finding pigs based on the signs I see in the field. If it looks good I will plan for the second weekend of July for the first hunt.

50deuce
06-14-2010, 12:59 PM
I've been doing some homework in San Diego county myself.. Found access point, etc... I need to contact DFG for more info on what we can carry/where to park and if we need a parking pass in that region...

I might go out to recon this Wed and Thurs. If any luck, I'll possibly hunt on Sunday.

blackelim
06-14-2010, 7:02 PM
I am interested, keep me posted.

junko p
06-14-2010, 7:17 PM
I've been doing some homework in San Diego county myself.. Found access point, etc... I need to contact DFG for more info on what we can carry/where to park and if we need a parking pass in that region...

I might go out to recon this Wed and Thurs. If any luck, I'll possibly hunt on Sunday.

Great, I will be out where I researched on Saturday and post what I find. Let me know how your recon goes on Wed/Thurs.

trob
06-14-2010, 7:38 PM
Good luck. anyone with any info is guarding it better than fort knox.

people arent exactly ready to post many reports down here yet. heard of lots of "sign" but not many guys have connected.

junko p
06-14-2010, 7:42 PM
Yea Trob,
I expect if I post up some solid results it will blow the whole thing wide open and likely piss off some of those hunters that like to protect their secrete spots. We shall see...

Venomns
06-15-2010, 1:40 AM
I would be interested too. I hunted them many times up North and have been feeling a little down cause I can't drive 20 minutes and see 10 running along the road!
I would be down with the recon trip too... sometimes I have more fun just seeing them without the hunt!
:D

Rusty_Buckhorn
06-15-2010, 7:37 AM
scouting for pigs? throw a rifle over your shoulder and call it HUNTING for pigs :43:

junko p
06-15-2010, 2:35 PM
scouting for pigs? throw a rifle over your shoulder and call it HUNTING for pigs :43:

I am not gonna pay 20 bucks to get skunked and have to pay another 20 in a week and a half. Season's almost over. Otherwise it would be hunting :)

Besides, I have to take my wife hiking this weekend anyways. She isnt a hunter so its better to scout than hunt with her... still working to change her mind though :cool:

Rusty_Buckhorn
06-15-2010, 2:58 PM
$20? for what?

sideshowhr
06-15-2010, 3:07 PM
what he means is he doesn't want to have to buy a boar tag and risk not bagging one when the season begins in a week and a half and he'll have to buy a tag all over again.

Rusty_Buckhorn
06-15-2010, 3:23 PM
ahh, forgot there was only 2 weekends left.

180ls1
06-15-2010, 3:44 PM
Just be careful of the indian land, the indians have been guiding hunters and hunting them. They do not take too kindly to people trespassing on their land especially when you shoot pigs that they are making money off of.

junko p
06-15-2010, 3:51 PM
Just be careful of the indian land, the indians have been guiding hunters and hunting them. They do not take too kindly to people trespassing on their land especially when you shoot pigs that they are making money off of.

Thanks for the word of caution. I am aware of the tribal lands in the area but I didn't know they were running guided hunts. Very interesting. Kinda funny if they are taking guided hunts onto the public land. Those cheeky locals! :D

180ls1
06-15-2010, 6:29 PM
No the whole things is kinda shady, it is an indian guy or family who released the pigs and is doing the guiding.

50deuce
06-16-2010, 12:26 PM
No the whole things is kinda shady, it is an indian guy or family who released the pigs and is doing the guiding.

Shouldn't the pigs be on their land, not the public?

professionalcoyotehunter
06-16-2010, 12:33 PM
I am sure they sometimes get loose.

junko p
06-16-2010, 12:58 PM
I am sure they sometimes get loose.

I think what PCH meant to say was "I am sure they sometimes "get loose""

Naw, what I heard was that one of the local tribe members had some eurasian hogs and they got loose. This has been confirmed by the local Forest Service and they have go so far as to issue a notice that the pigs are out and on public lands and they are almost asking hunters to help prevent the hogs from spreading.

So, I will be scouting to verify this fact and figure out how difficult it will be for me to get to where they might be and how hard it will be to get a dead one out.

Baxter
06-16-2010, 3:10 PM
Around 12 were also let loose by a friend five years ago. They were boars and sows. The only reason they let them go was they were distroying the ranch.

SID45
06-17-2010, 6:02 AM
yeah i am interested, pm me when you guys are going. i got a boar last year on a guided hunt and would like to do it again.

Jon Wang
06-17-2010, 8:57 AM
There were plenty of hog signs in the CNF when I was turkey hunting in the spring.

But based on the topo and the surrounding area (available food & water sources), they were most likely transitory and not "residents". But they are definitely out there on public land. GL

180ls1
06-17-2010, 3:29 PM
Yes they are for sure out there in the national forest, i think it will be a few years though before we can start getting into them pretty good. But they are out there you just gotta find them.

junko p
06-20-2010, 4:37 PM
Scouting Report:
I didn't get out until Sunday. Started at about 6:30am I went from eagle peak road and hiked about 1/2 the way down and realized that all the "good" terrain for hogs was within the private land NOT in the park (basically what I suspected from the aerial and topo maps) :(

So, I went back to my jeep and on my way came across 2 guys on their way down to hunt pig. They said the flats (private land adjacent an Indian reservation) were flush with pigs. I continued back up cause I didn't want to fuss with the details of private/public boundaries with my wife in tow.

After I got back to my jeep, i went up cedar creek trail/road and came across some nice turkey/quail and potential deer spots with a lot of poison oak sprouting up.

I may see about contacting the land owner of the flats to see if they are interested in supporting the Forest Service's need to remove invasive hogs from the area. If I have any luck with that, I will pm you guys that have contacted me.

Would sure be nice to have a good pig spot here in so-cal.

If any of you are real curious about exactly where I went and the boundary issue, send me a pm and I will try and post up a map showing where I went and the boundaries.

junko p
06-20-2010, 5:46 PM
Hell yes... I just clarified the legal boundaries of the forest and cross-referenced it with the location of the flats where the "pigs" are supposed to be... Gonna go scout again next weekend, or wait until July and make good on my first pig tag :)
If interested it looks to be about a 2-3 mile hike with about 1000 ft elevation change. If you want to go 1st or second weekend in July send me a PM.
I will bring the legal boundaries with me. :)

Baxter
06-21-2010, 12:02 AM
IF you can get access to the water district land you are set. Good luck with that one though.

zerohour714
06-23-2010, 8:46 PM
I'm in! Any plans to go out there this weekend?

77bawls
06-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Divorce should soon be final so I'll have more funds available that aren't dedicated to my entertainment (i.e. buying guns and bows and bullets)

That's what I'm doing!! Three guns so far since March. I've been single for a little over a year and a light bulb went off. GUNS!! :chris:

Cougar125
06-24-2010, 2:26 AM
That's what I'm doing!! Three guns so far since March. I've been single for a little over a year and a light bulb went off. GUNS!! :chris:
Well the ***** was able to "sell" 6 of my guns and a bow to her dad (whom I'm hoping will give me my guns back) so the judge said they were gone. I still have 4 in my possession and the military still has 7 and a bow in their "protective custody". I'm finishing the paperwork to get those back in the very near future. Anywho...I've bought 4 this calendar year so far. :)

junko p
06-24-2010, 9:25 PM
I'm in! Any plans to go out there this weekend?

Not headed out this weekend, got honey do list to take care of. Will likely head out first weekend of July, but the hunt will be on. No scouting. Gonna be there all day likely scouring the territory for signs. If were lucky, it will be a short day cause its likely to be really hot.