PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Dilemma

jdg30
06-13-2010, 1:11 PM
I have a decent number of handguns. I have several semi-autos and several revolvers and EACH one of them is one of my favorites. Over time I have sold or traded the ones that I didn't really like and I feel I have reached the point that I am satisfied with the ones I have and can't forsee buying any new models for now.

So here is my problem: Now when I want to go shoot, I have a hard time deciding how to choose which gun to actually go and shoot. I have a .38,
.357, 9mm, .40S&W and .45auto. I like them all and when I have one out, I wish I had the others but I don't like shooting a bunch of different guns at one time. I have even gone back and forth about selling a few of my favorites so that I only have a few to shoot and therefore shoot them all the time instead of rotating them around and shooting each one less. I'm not really a collector, I prefer to use all the guns I have and not have safe queens.

Does anybody have the same dilemma, and what do you do about it? Has anyone actually sold off guns so that they only have a couple that they shoot the crap out of? If you did sell off some extra guns to condense the collection, have you regretted it? Opinions and experiences appreciated, thanks

chiselchst
06-13-2010, 1:19 PM
If that's the biggest problem you have, you are blessed, LOL...

I too had the same problem, or close to. But now I have consolidated down to my fav cal, the .45 ACP. I still have a .380 Colt Nite Lite, as it's kinda rare.

But I've found it much simpler to have one primary caliber.

Only have Sigs, 1 Glock & Para's now, and the Para's will possibly be put up for sale shortly, FWIW.

Don't think I answered your question though...

Ron-Solo
06-13-2010, 1:20 PM
Draw straws each time you go out. :)

Don't sell unless you absolutely must, you will always regret it later.

Your moods will change from time to time and you will be happy you have a choice.

Dangerpin
06-13-2010, 1:21 PM
If you love it NEVER ever ever ever sell it or you will regret it forever. Don't worry if it sits in the safe for a few years, the day will come when it will be in the front of the rotation and some other gun will sit for a while.

johnthomas
06-13-2010, 1:50 PM
For me, money is the decision breaker. I have a 1911, 45, a cz82 and 3 cz52's. 7.62 x25 cost me 129 for 1240 rounds. I enjoy shooting them all but my lack of funds steer me to the cz52.

hattles
06-13-2010, 4:29 PM
Take two aspirin. a shot of Jack and make an appointment with your therapist...we all should face that dilema...

;)I have a decent number of handguns. I have several semi-autos and several revolvers and EACH one of them is one of my favorites. Over time I have sold or traded the ones that I didn't really like and I feel I have reached the point that I am satisfied with the ones I have and can't forsee buying any new models for now.

So here is my problem: Now when I want to go shoot, I have a hard time deciding how to choose which gun to actually go and shoot. I have a .38,
.357, 9mm, .40S&W and .45auto. I like them all and when I have one out, I wish I had the others but I don't like shooting a bunch of different guns at one time. I have even gone back and forth about selling a few of my favorites so that I only have a few to shoot and therefore shoot them all the time instead of rotating them around and shooting each one less. I'm not really a collector, I prefer to use all the guns I have and not have safe queens.

Does anybody have the same dilemma, and what do you do about it? Has anyone actually sold off guns so that they only have a couple that they shoot the crap out of? If you did sell off some extra guns to condense the collection, have you regretted it? Opinions and experiences appreciated, thanks

wsmc27
06-13-2010, 4:57 PM
Take two aspirin. a shot of Jack and make an appointment with your therapist...we all should face that dilema...

;)

:D

Nahh, two aspirin, two shots and forget the therapist!

Make sure to take each out to the range at least once a month and love them!

;)

$0.02
btw, don't sell. We miss every weapon we've ever sold. :(

Scratch705
06-13-2010, 6:17 PM
just rotate the guns. take two this outing, and next outing take another two.

that is what i'm currently doing with my rifles. keeps me somewhat proficient with each and they all get near equal range time (the .22lr is always brought so i can shoot for cheap... hehe)

jdg30
06-13-2010, 8:27 PM
just rotate the guns. take two this outing, and next outing take another two.

that is what i'm currently doing with my rifles. keeps me somewhat proficient with each and they all get near equal range time (the .22lr is always brought so i can shoot for cheap... hehe)

That's what I'm concerned with is staying proficient with all of them. Several of them are Glocks, so they operate the same, but I have them in 3 different calibers. One problem is that 3 of them are CCW guns: Glock 36, Glock 27 and S&W 442. The G36 is one of my favorites and I wouldn't consider getting rid of it. The S&W 442 is my absolute favorite that I would never get rid of. I like the G27 but if I had to get rid of 1 of the 3, I would probably choose that. So I took the G27 out shooting this afternoon with the stock barrel and with a 9mm conversion barrel. After shooting 5 mags out of each (.40 and 9mm) I think I am going to switch to a Glock 26 for the 3rd carry gun. My favorite HD gun is the Glock 19 so the G26 would be perfect.

I discovered that part of the struggle is having to shoot .40 when I really enjoy shooting 9mm more. I can shoot well with both, but 9mm is definitely easier to be accurate with and is cheaper to shoot. I love shooting .45 and .38. .40 S&W is good to shoot, but I usually find that I have to really concentrate to shoot well with it. It seems kind of stressful compared to
9mm, .45 and .38. So I think I have answered part of my own question, condense to those 3 calibers for "must shoot" guns and shoot .40S&W guns whenever I feel like it and don't worry if they sit in the safe more than the others.

NotEnoughGuns
06-14-2010, 5:28 AM
Those guns are like money in the bank, I wouldn't sell unless I needed money or space in the safe.

washnak
06-14-2010, 8:15 AM
I just shoot mine in rotation, that way none of them feel left out. I have been accumulating firearms since 1980 and in all that time I've only sold one. Well, accually, I traded it as partial payment for another one. I agree, you should NEVER sell any part of your collection unless you absolutely have to.

Sheepdog1968
06-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Shooting in rotation is what I do. I see no point in selling them if you really like them. It's funny and I hear what you are saying. When younger, you can only afford a few so you shoot them a lot and dream of owning more. As you get older, you buy more then can't shoot each of them often enough and wish you went back to the days of when you owned fewer.

I just shoot mine in rotation, that way none of them feel left out. I have been accumulating firearms since 1980 and in all that time I've only sold one. Well, accually, I traded it as partial payment for another one. I agree, you should NEVER sell any part of your collection unless you absolutely have to.

SixtyDashOne
06-14-2010, 11:57 AM
I've had the same dilemma where I would always take several guns shooting, and shoot a few rounds through them all. Then awhile back I figured I'd be better off picking 2 of my favorites and become proficient with them, and my shooting has improved since I've done that. I still have several guns but I mostly only shoot my TRP and my USPc anymore. Another thing is, with the price of ammo being what it is these days, I'd rather have my money go towards keeping proficient with just a couple guns, than to use that ammo shooting guns just for the sake of shooting them, or just because I haven't shot a particular gun in a long time. It also messes me up when I shoot a gun I haven't shot in a long time, then I try shooting my TRP or USPc, it throws me off and I'll be all over the place and wasting ammo for awhile until I get dialed in.

stormvet
06-14-2010, 1:16 PM
Reloading saved my *****, I could never afford to shot as many calibers and guns that I own without it.

I have several guns in .45, .40, 9mm and .38/.357. The .45s are my favorites but I shoot almost as much .40 with 9mm taking a distant third.

I like 9mm dont get me wrong, but sometimes I feel I might as well be shooting my Ruger Mark 2 .22lr. I guess I enjoy the challenge of the larger calibers more then the light 9mm.

Unless you are wealthy I dont know how anyone can afford to shoot alot without reloading.

I train with my carry guns, the others I just shoot when I feel like it. No rotation no order. Just I think I'll take this or that gun out tomorrow and put a couple of boxes of bullets though it. I

I only sell guns to buy other guns I want more at that given time. But to sell to have less guns, not gonna happen.:43:

CSACANNONEER
06-14-2010, 1:22 PM
It will only get harder to decide as your collection grows. For me, ammo availability has a lot to do with it. I'm talking about what is immediately available in my stash. I know I have a few boxes of 32-20 but, unless I happen on them, the gun will sit. I know that I'm low on 45acp so, until I cast, lube, size and load a thousand or more, the .45acps just sit. If I've only got 5000 or so .22lrs, I might choose not to take them out until I can get some more ammo. Etc.

plankowner
06-14-2010, 1:36 PM
I have the same problem , I can't decide what I want to go shooting with and I end up waiting and waiting until I buy at least 200 rounds for what I want to take and that just takes me to long and I end up not shooting like I use to, but I have also sold handguns and a rifle and I did regret it,(still have to replace my garand and snub nose model 66) but then I think I buy these things because my kids and girlfriends kids really enjoy them and I now have a new grandson so I will keep on going because someday these things will be theirs and I have enough to go around, hopefully they will do the same with their kids

robert101
06-14-2010, 1:59 PM
I really like all of my handguns. I shoot primarily 45 ACP as I've chosen that caliber (with my SA Loaded) to be the work horse of the group. It doesn't mean I like the other guns any less, its just that I made a selection of 2 guns for primary self defense and stuck with it. So its 45 ACP and 10MM for me. It sure is a lot cheaper finding 45 brass on the range floor. That helps too.

jdg30
06-14-2010, 4:36 PM
Everyone so far has good input for the situation. Getting a reloading setup has been on my mind for over a year now. I have saved up the money in a special fund just to get reloading equipment but haven't taken the plunge yet. I have a bunch of used brass for each caliber too. I really am looking at getting a Dillon 550 with separate toolheads for .38, 9mm, .45 and .40. I think I should just get it done. I haven't heard anyone who goes from reloading back to strictly buying factory ammo! Part of why I have hesitated to start reloading is the shortage of primers. I'm not sure if they are still in a shortage or not but I do have a few thousand small pistol primers I got a while back that are waiting to be used. I also need to build a bench. It seems that .45 and .38/.357 are definitely more cost effective to reload. I really should just get one setup and start slow, for example starting with .38, then progress to loading other calibers and then it won't be overwhelming.

I think shooting in rotation is a good idea, but mainly I need to focus on shooting my carry guns more than the rest, then shoot the others when I feel like it and not worry if they just sit for a while. Reloading will take a lot of stress away because I won't have to worry about running out of ammo or literally blowing away lots of money on factory ammo that is not being shot out of my carry guns.