PDA

View Full Version : Buying when out of state

TLC
06-13-2010, 1:31 PM
If I buy a gun while out of state, am I required to have it mailed to an FFL or can I shceck it on a locked case and bring it back with me (yes I know I'd have to DROS it when I get here)

Cokebottle
06-13-2010, 1:33 PM
Must be shipped to an FFL.

The only exception is for guns 50 years old or older AND when you have an 03FFL.

Quiet
06-13-2010, 1:38 PM
Federal laws prohibits the transfer of firearms between non-licensed residents of different states, unless the transfer is done through a FFL dealer in the recipiant's state of residence.

Summary:
If you are not a FFL, then you can buy a firearm in another state, but it must be shipped to a CA FFL dealer.

TLC
06-13-2010, 1:50 PM
Federal laws prohibits the transfer of firearms between non-licensed residents of different states, unless the transfer is done through a FFL dealer in the recipiant's state of residence.

Summary:
If you are not a FFL, then you can buy a firearm in another state, but it must be shipped to a CA FFL dealer.

Damn...bottom line though is it IS legal for me to buy a gun while I'm out of state?

I know a hell of a gun shop where I'm from that puts anythign to shame I've seen since I got to California. I plan on takign full advtage when I get there

Cokebottle
06-13-2010, 2:00 PM
Damn...bottom line though is it IS legal for me to buy a gun while I'm out of state?

I know a hell of a gun shop where I'm from that puts anythign to shame I've seen since I got to California. I plan on takign full advtage when I get there
Make sure that you know what the transfer fees are going to be.

A gun shop that puts anything to shame may not be such a good deal once you add in the $35-$125 FFL transfer fees and CA sales tax.

Also, if it's a handgun, it must be on the roster or it can't be transferred in.

Save yourself the gas of driving out of state and just call up this shop you know of and order that way... you can't take physical possession out of state and bring it back yourself... the selling FFL will have to ship it for you.

TLC
06-13-2010, 2:49 PM
Make sure that you know what the transfer fees are going to be.

A gun shop that puts anything to shame may not be such a good deal once you add in the $35-$125 FFL transfer fees and CA sales tax.

Also, if it's a handgun, it must be on the roster or it can't be transferred in.

Save yourself the gas of driving out of state and just call up this shop you know of and order that way... you can't take physical possession out of state and bring it back yourself... the selling FFL will have to ship it for you.

Any recommendations on who has the lowest transfer fees / ease of transfer in Santa Clara County?

Lucky Scott
06-13-2010, 3:06 PM
Is this a california only deal or every state?
ie: If I am a nevada resident, can i buy in arizona?

CSACANNONEER
06-13-2010, 3:14 PM

It is a Federal thing. IIRC (it doesn't effect me so, my memory is not perfect and I could be wrong here), there are a few exceptions for PPTs between residence of certain states but, for the most part, you need to go through a FFL who is in your state of residency.

jdg30
06-13-2010, 3:16 PM

This

Cokebottle
06-13-2010, 3:19 PM
Federal law requires two things:
1 - Interstate transfers shall involve at least one FFL
2 - The transfer must follow the laws of the states of residence of both parties.

So, if you live in a "cash and carry" state, and you buy a gun in another "cash and carry" state, the only requirement is that an FFL be involved in the transaction and process the 4473.
California requires that the buyer go through a California FFL, so whether you buy from an out of state FFL or or private party, the gun must transfer into California through a California FFL.

Greg-Dawg
06-13-2010, 3:44 PM
Which non-CA dealer wants to sell a gun to a CA resident? I'm sure when you bring out your ID, the dealer most likely will say, "No Sale, only local residents can purchase."

Quiet
06-13-2010, 6:06 PM

Every state.

Only exemption to this is if you purchase a rifle or shotgun from a FFL dealer, you can take possession of it as long as the sale complies with the laws of both the seller & buyer's state of residence.

For example...
-NV resident can legally buy and take possession of a rifle or shotgun from an AZ FFL dealer.
-AZ resident can legally buy and take possession of a rifle or shotgun from a NV FFL dealer.
-CA resident can legally buy, but can not take possession of a rifle or shotgun from any other state's FFL dealer, because CA state law mandates firearms purchased by CA residents must be transfered through a CA FFL dealer.

Librarian
06-13-2010, 7:20 PM
This is substantially covered in the Wiki here - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate - why not offer the details without retyping them?

Cokebottle
06-13-2010, 7:25 PM
This is substantially covered in the Wiki here - http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate - why not offer the details without retyping them?
Having a link to the Wiki on the bar with the "Home", flowcharts, and other information would be helpful.

Seriously... every time I want to refer to the Wiki, I have to go to Yahoo and do a search for it.
Guess I should bookmark it, but my point is, for all of the work that has gone into it to make it a VERY useful tool, it's not something that is readily accessible... especially for newbies, but even for established members.

norcal.xd
06-13-2010, 9:29 PM
my first handgun was bought out of state......the shop i bought it from had a list of ca ffl dealers......they made it real easy for me.....just a warning but make sure you can legally own a gun or you can get into trouble and lose all money spent on the firearm....