View Full Version : Handgun transfer questions

03-29-2006, 3:34 PM
Hello all,

I have a couple of questions, as I'm not very sure about the laws of CA when it comes to guns (I used to live in CA up until I joined the Military, but I now reside in Virginia...). Anyhow here goes.

My brother came to visit me before I take a field trip on over to the sandbox and he fell in love with my OD green Glock 17 I got a year ago, so I gave it to him as a present (which is completely legal here in VA). Now, I have contacted some FFLs in CA and a Gentleman @ Turners stated that I could have my brother check the gun in at the airport and bring it back and have it registered through them (wait the 10 days etc...). I contacted some others and they said I could only transfer it to an FFL after paying out the nose for it (150 plus! ha!) and I could only do so once he came back to CA to fill it out, go through the background check, etc... and THEN I could transfer it to him through the FFL.

So, my question(s) is(are) who is right, and what are my options in getting it back to him? Thanks in advance!

Edit: Forgot to mention it is on the approved list (i.e: it has the loaded chamber indicator, etc.. and I am only giving him the 10 rounders and not the 17s...)

03-29-2006, 5:17 PM
In California, to transfer the weapon to your brother, you both need to be present to sign paperwork.

You both show up, he fills out his half of the paperwork, you fill out your half of the paperwork. After that he'll have to pay a $25.00 DROS (DOJ check) fee. Since you will be there in person, the dealer can only charge a "PPT" (Private Party Transfer) fee of $10.00 on top of the $25.00 DROS fee, nothing more.

The rest is history; The weapon will be stored at that location for the 10 day wait period, after which your brother can pick the firearm up and sign the final piece of documentation.

Bottom line: Both appear in person, sign paperwork and transfer it over. Pay $35.00 and wait 10 days.

There's another option:

You can go down to your local FFL, give them the firearm and sign your half of the paperwork; Whenever your brother gets around to being in town, he can fill out his half of the paperwork, pay $25.00 for the DROS and be done. In this case, though, since you aren't both present it won't be considered a "PPT" (private party transfer), and as a result the dealer will likely charge you an extra fee of $35-$75 on top of the $25.00 DROS fee.

Make sense?

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/index.html also has info.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone...

Mssr. Eleganté
03-29-2006, 8:09 PM
Giving your brother a firearm is only legal in Virginia if both you and your brother are residents of Virginia. Federal law prohibits the transfer of firearms between unlicensed residents of two different states unless the transfer takes place through an FFL. Federal law also prohibits unlicensed people from acquiring handguns outside of their state of residence.

So the only way your brother can legally acquire your Glock is if the transfer takes place through an FFL in California. You'll have to ship the handgun via UPS or FedEx overnight service to an FFL in California who will agree to do the transfer. The FFL can charge whatever they want for this service.

Some FFL's choose not to accept shipments from unlicensed individuals. They require that you use an FFL on your end to ship them the firearm.

If you let us know your brother's general location, someone here might know of an FFL Dealer close to him that has reasonable rates for transfers from out of state.

Also, FFL Dealers can use the Post Office to ship handguns to other FFL Dealers, so if you use an FFL on your end to ship the handgun, his charge plus postage might be cheaper than UPS or FedEx over night charges, which can be as high as $60 per handgun.

Either way, you and your brother are looking at $100 to $150 in total charges to transfer the Glock.

03-29-2006, 9:10 PM
a much easier way is to use this form from the doj.


its so simple and cheap.

03-30-2006, 6:04 AM
a much easier way is to use this form from the doj.


its so simple and cheap.

That might satisfy California law, but Federal law still prohibits a direct handgun transfer between residents of different states. A California dealer still has to handle the transfer in order to satisfy the Feds.