PDA

View Full Version : WTF is wrong with people???

rimfire78
06-12-2010, 11:17 PM
So today, my wife and I went fishing on the east fork of the San Gabriel river - just a few miles past the Burro Canyon turn off.
It was a beautiful day, and there were several families camping and picnicking along the banks. We made our way down a steep path to a nice looking spot where we weren't in danger of snagging any swimmers.
Almost immediately, we each caught a tiny rainbow trout - one after the other which we promtly released back into the stream.
What more could you ask for right? How about a garbage truck for the mountains of trash people had left lying all along the bank. And I mean real garbage - two used diapers, underwear, broken flip flops, 10 empty tuna cans, hot sauce packets, broken beer bottles, and the styrafoam bottom from a package of grocery store chicken!!! - Not to mention all the river rocks and cliff sides that had been tagged in every color of spray paint.
We didn't have any trash bags with us, and because we had to climb back up to the road with our gear, we didn't pack any of the trash out with us.
But I swear... what kind of F**@ing animal leaves S#*t like this behind to deface such a beautiful area? I don't understand not being moved by the natural beauty of such a place.
DISGUSTING:mad:!! These people should be ashamed of themselves!

TURBOELKY
06-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Amen to that! Good post brother:iagree:

Dreaded Claymore
06-13-2010, 1:20 AM
If caught and convicted, people who do this should be made to keep all that garbage in their own backyards, literally, for three months minimum.

thevic
06-13-2010, 1:24 AM
yeah its sad seeing some trash out here in the blm in hollister...you would spend almost the same amount of money drivin to dump on the blm then going to a local dumpsite!

RaymondMillbrae
06-13-2010, 3:32 AM
Fines should be SUPER STEEP...and enforced!

In Christ: Raymond

jawbreaker
06-13-2010, 5:45 AM
It should be called the mexican river if you know what I mean. I don't mean to be sterio typical but 90% of the people up there are mexican and if this makes me sound raceist than maybe I am. If you are one of the people that go up there and make a mess SHAME ON YOU.

Next time try out the north fork, the trash didn't hang out up there as much when I used to fish up there and if you hike up steam a ways you will get out of the garbage area also. I stopped going up there along time ago because I would always be too upset at the way some people treat out wilderness.

Foriegn power
06-13-2010, 6:20 AM
Hhhhhh

rimfire78
06-13-2010, 9:11 AM
We had my 1911 with us ;)

Steyrlp10
06-13-2010, 9:17 AM
I agree... I think the people who appreciate the natural scheme of things without polluting the environment is in the minority. As a boater, I make sure plastic bags from the lures or bird's nest lines don't fly out into the water where they'll put the wildlife in danger. I'm not a neat freak, but I do believe grown ups should be responsible for their own garbage.

Just look at the freeways/streets in general -- plenty of irresponsible people who don't care about being litterbugs.

rimfire78
06-13-2010, 9:53 AM
drider, would you fill us in on some of the stories you've heard?

rimfire78
06-13-2010, 9:54 AM
It should be called the mexican river if you know what I mean. I don't mean to be sterio typical but 90% of the people up there are mexican and if this makes me sound raceist than maybe I am. If you are one of the people that go up there and make a mess SHAME ON YOU.

Next time try out the north fork, the trash didn't hang out up there as much when I used to fish up there and if you hike up steam a ways you will get out of the garbage area also. I stopped going up there along time ago because I would always be too upset at the way some people treat out wilderness.

Where do you go these days if you're out fishing?

Butthead
06-13-2010, 9:58 AM
My favorite is the soap and shampoo to clean up in the river. Seen that many, many times up there. Quit going up there many years ago. It's a real shame as it is truely a great local place to hike and camp, or at least is used to be.

So many people out of work and all of this trash to be cleaned up. Hmmm

mswanson223
06-13-2010, 10:43 AM
well thats a shame that people can so irresponsible ans wastefull.

Foriegn power
06-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Hhhhh

aaronraby1
06-13-2010, 11:31 AM
i was at burro the other day... that stream has grown into a rice river now too!

Fishseeker
06-13-2010, 11:36 AM
Great post, I think tose slobs should be stripped of there clothes and tied to a tree to die.

To many places in this state are being closed up and shut down due to the people who leave there trash.

jawbreaker
06-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Next time you are up there talk to one of the forest service guys. My dad and I were fishing the north fork one day and talked to a guy for a long time, he told us of shootings and stabbings and said we should stick to the weekdays for fishing.

rimfire78
06-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Next time you are up there talk to one of the forest service guys. My dad and I were fishing the north fork one day and talked to a guy for a long time, he told us of shootings and stabbings and said we should stick to the weekdays for fishing.

Wow! Thanks for the heads-up. Well, from what i've seen I guess I'm not surprised. Real shame though!

toby
06-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Dude, wait till you start going deeper in to the forest? it's really bad! they even hide food and cooking gear so they don't have to bring it everytime.

winnre
06-13-2010, 12:54 PM
I was taught: Take only pictures, leave only footprints.

tonelar
06-13-2010, 1:41 PM
i know there can be an anti burner* sentiment here.
however i'm always amazed at how conscious they are about packing out everything when they leave the desert.

*people who attend burningman

xr650r
06-13-2010, 1:46 PM
pigs

lead slinger
06-13-2010, 2:11 PM
If caught and convicted, people who do this should be made to keep all that garbage in their own backyards, literally, for three months minimum.

There backyards allready look like that ,so it wouldnt phase them one bit,I've been to places where there are trash cans and 20 feet away they drop there trash...

lead slinger
06-13-2010, 2:14 PM
Great post, I think tose slobs should be stripped of there clothes and tied to a tree to die.

To many places in this state are being closed up and shut down due to the people who leave there trash.

You forgot the Honey and the Ants...

Foriegn power
06-13-2010, 4:27 PM
It really pisses me off.

TURBOELKY
06-13-2010, 4:40 PM
I would gladly take a job picking up all the trash, and removing graffiti from the area on my days off. Maybe we should have a "clean up" deal, Calguns style?? With enough advance notice, I'd gladly be a part of a clean up day!!!!!

As for the scum doing it, I'd also love to take a job on my days off, at night, armed, as a vigilante:43: but I dont think the pay would be very good?:D

Anybody for a trash pick up day at the river? I would expect 30 people to show, for it to be successful.

jawbreaker
06-13-2010, 5:45 PM
That's a noble thought but the next weekend it would look the same as before the cleanup. they need to patrol the area a little more and write people up for littering, it isn't a huge area if I remember just a few hundred yards up and down stream from the bridge.

Fot
06-13-2010, 6:00 PM

Mexican river... Seriously??

junko p
06-13-2010, 6:05 PM
meh thats why i dont go to san gabriel area :(

rimfire78
06-13-2010, 6:20 PM
That's a noble thought but the next weekend it would look the same as before the cleanup. they need to patrol the area a little more and write people up for littering, it isn't a huge area if I remember just a few hundred yards up and down stream from the bridge.

You're right, it's not that big. I've been stopped by rangers up by Lake Isabella (for fire permits and camping fees) several times and that's a huge area. Maybe they just put their man power elsewhere.
It's been a few years since we were there but I don't remember it being as bad.

Drey
06-13-2010, 6:27 PM

+1. But I would say INSIDE their houses :eek: . And no bail out! :D

jawbreaker
06-14-2010, 5:16 AM
Fot, I would like you to go up there on a Saturday and prove me wrong..

yasushi
06-14-2010, 8:01 AM
Haven't fished the SG for 20 years but didn't realize that things are so bad up there. Use be a nice quiet place to hike in for a weekend, going up to fish creek and wouldn't see but a couple of people and few miners. I was more concered with the miners back then who were suspicious of anyone walking through their camp.

One time we came across a guy and with two kids who were supposedly were mining and camping for few days deep in the canyons, funny how they were overly dressed for camping. Later saw them in the TV new where he was arrested for kidnapping his kids from the estranged wife and was hiding up deep in the east fork. Seemed like a nice guy and the kids looked like they were having lot of fun.

cortayack
06-14-2010, 9:40 AM

Yea, If alot of them are illegal or have the Mexican cultural mindset, then you would understand.... In Mexico, there's really no garbage service and trash is just thrown on the ground! There's a couple of lakes up in Norcal, where this is a problem too, with the illegals and day/farm workers....:mad:

rimfire78
06-14-2010, 10:07 AM
I noticed (at least at this time of year when the water level is high) that the little creek that meets the river at the bridge was running pretty good. That looked more inaccessible than the main fork itself. Anyone ever go up there?

Gryff
06-14-2010, 10:11 AM
This is a corollary of the axiom that you can tell the state of a society by the condition of its public bathrooms. America is definitely on a downward spiral.

Lancear15
06-14-2010, 10:53 AM
This is a corollary of the axiom that you can tell the state of a society by the condition of its public bathrooms. America is definitely on a downward spiral.

This is so true.

The most disgusting places I have ever been inside of was a rest stop in the middle of nowhere Mexico.

You can tell a lot about a city by visiting it's fast food restaurant restrooms.

winnre
06-14-2010, 10:59 AM
You can tell a lot about a city by visiting it's fast food restaurant restrooms.

When driving through the Bible Belt I saw some graffiti in a Texaco restroom. Very different from what I expected. It said "JAMES IS A SINNER."

Lancear15
06-14-2010, 11:03 AM
Yea, If alot of them are illegal or have the Mexican cultural mindset, then you would understand.... In Mexico, there's really no garbage service and trash is just thrown on the ground! There's a couple of lakes up in Norcal, where this is a problem too, with the illegals and day/farm workers....:mad:

In mexico they would just designate a hill side there a "dump" and light it on fire, the fire never stops burning because the people never stop dumping their trash. This is not an exaggeration.

jawbreaker
06-14-2010, 4:17 PM
I noticed (at least at this time of year when the water level is high) that the little creek that meets the river at the bridge was running pretty good. That looked more inaccessible than the main fork itself. Anyone ever go up there?

That is the north fork and DFG used to stock it also. Western outdoors used to put all of the DFG stcks in their paper and they often stocked all of the forks, all you need to do is find a place that is close enough to the road for them to carry a net full of trout. They used to dump a bunch at all of the bridges on each of the 3 forks because it is easy access. I haven't been up there for a while so things might have changed and with the economy they may not even be stocking it anymore. If you hike in a mile or more you can catch natives but they are small.

shooker8
06-14-2010, 4:44 PM
Yay first post, but any way I can't stand people that litter! We clean up this country road near my house. The road boarders a creek and people just toss all kinds of trash and what not out after they are done swimming and this just absolutely infuriates me.

I just hope that at some time in the future people become much more sensible about their littering.

sideshowhr
06-14-2010, 4:48 PM
i recently went to sequoia for a camping/fishing trip. i was surprised by the amount of trash i saw as well (beer cans, diapers, wrappers, etc.). i can't understand what goes through peoples minds when they litter in such naturally pristine areas.

Geo
06-14-2010, 4:53 PM
Sounds like a lot of the beautiful places I've been to in Mexico that are trashed with every sort of litter imaginable. There is NO stigma against littering in Mexico. They are just trying to make the USA more like Mexico.

toby
06-14-2010, 4:55 PM
Yeah for Arizona!

bulldozamendoza
06-14-2010, 7:43 PM
i was at corona del mar beach yesterday lookin for hermit crabs with my girlfriend... what do i find? dirty diapers and a broken beer bottle! -_-
not cool...
i remember this place being purty clean 6 years ago.. what the hell!

jawcn
06-14-2010, 8:04 PM
so many people were not taught they should clean up after camping/beach party.

everyone here, we are goin to teach our children well… plz~~~

spectr17
06-14-2010, 8:13 PM
East Fork and part of West Fork are trashed every weekend, it's sad. If you take a bike or can hike a mile or two the West Fork gets real nice back towards Cogswell dam. I'd carry a pistol with you as I see some shady looking folks on both sides, many gang bangers as mentioned before. That whole canyon has changed, lots of taggers now hang out up there. What really sucks is the cellphone and our work radios don't work up there very well or not at all.

elevated
06-15-2010, 10:16 AM
I have been fishing the sg river for about 3 years since I've moved to sgv. Some areas really are a bummer with all the bs described in previous posts. I've had success with walking past the closed gate on the north fork into the forest. Some nice trout, about 6-9 inches. o well what can you do...

professionalcoyotehunter
06-15-2010, 12:09 PM
Pick it up and throw it in their car or truck bed. That is what I have done in the past.

jawbreaker
06-15-2010, 4:22 PM
Pick it up and throw it in their car or truck bed. That is what I have done in the past.
I will pay for your gas to come down to the san gabriel river and through trash into the back of one of the gangbangers trucks just to watch from a distance. You must have a big set.

SniPeralez
06-15-2010, 4:54 PM

Yeah What ever happened to just good old garbage! I was out shooting and spotted this truck that caught my eye speeding away, through my scope, Hmmm wonder why, so I went to spot were I saw them leave from and found this:
Just saying People are People and will trash anything!
http://photos.imageevent.com/sniperalezgunworks/inbox/websize/Picture%20480.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/sniperalezgunworks/inbox/websize/Picture%20482.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/sniperalezgunworks/inbox/websize/Picture%20481.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/sniperalezgunworks/inbox/websize/Picture%20472.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/sniperalezgunworks/inbox/websize/Picture%20475.jpg
http://photos.imageevent.com/sniperalezgunworks/inbox/websize/Picture%20478.jpg

rimfire78
06-15-2010, 6:20 PM
NICE! Hello Michelle Newberry..... Ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!:rofl2:

SniPeralez
06-15-2010, 6:40 PM
It's people like that that mess things up for guys like us that like to to shoot, especially on private property, the owner got the pics and followed through with the police.:kest:

novabrian
06-15-2010, 6:47 PM
This is why I am going to make a pledge to gather at least enough scattered trash to fill a bag every time I go to a nice outdoor place,Kern River,Burrow,any lake,Etc.

novabrian
06-15-2010, 6:49 PM
Should we all send Michelle Newberry a bunch of trash??

Rob454
06-15-2010, 7:01 PM

How do you walk with balls that big. I mean doesn't the noise from the brass banging together get annoying? I triple dog dare you to come down and do that. hell bro Ill even pay your emergency room deductible or post bail whichever comes first:D

I used to, USED TO go to SGR to go 4 wheeling up there. Ive seen the scenery change from a cool 4 wheeling spot to a dirt hole where alcohol , violence stupidity and a whole lot of hardcase gang bangers and a whole bunch of cracked out looking mother f'ers hang out. I haven't been there in oh I would say about 5 years now and its all due to the type of element that hangs out there. The first time Ive gone to burro was a month or so ago for the first time in 8 years or so. I flat out refuse to go up there to 4 wheel anymore. I just go hunting for jack rabbits for the day if i wanna drive down dirt roads. That place used to be a nice place to have a outing. My buddies and I would go there and have lunch spend the day watching fools get stuck in the mud. I just dont feel safe there. best to avoid the place. Sad really cause it is a cool place to relax in.

cam188
06-16-2010, 9:18 AM
To the person who said "if they were caught they should have this trah in their backyards and houses" they do. I work in south central and other parts in the city this is how most live it is so nasty some of the places I have been.

msand951
06-16-2010, 9:46 AM
Question is it legal to carry a handgun there. Do you guys just put it in your backpack concealing it or open and carry.
Ive been to the east fork once a month ago. I noticed some homeless type miners/prospectors. I stopped at the ranger station to ask about the river and places to hike or visit that are kid friendly . They mentioned they had problems with the miners making holes and digging up the place. And claiming an area when they legally cant have any claims there.

wilhrp
06-16-2010, 6:23 PM
thats how some people show thier apreciation to freedom. allways taking advantage of it. educate them i say! or man up and join the service.

Chukar hunter
06-17-2010, 4:20 PM
I've been camping/hiking/fishing/hunting/shooting since I was a little guy in the'60's. It is appalling to see the trashing of all these beautiful places in this country. It seems like water attracts a lot of these slobs. I've seen tagging in areas of the Eastern Sierra, trash bags and beer bottles within 25 feet of a trash can in Grand Canyon, and so much trash by these once pristene streams that it sickens me. My wife and I always bring out a whole bag of stuff from our outings. My dad taught me a long time ago to show my appreciation for a spot by leaving it cleaner than I found it. I'd like to see some of these trash people buried in their own garbage!

toby
06-17-2010, 4:27 PM
Every thing they do is of this same demeanor and to add they are a byproduct of their parents! and their gene pool will never end. sad sad sad

Thrillbilly
06-17-2010, 8:01 PM
Unfortunately it seems to be getting really bad back home. I have been back to CA one time since I moved out. When I was back I decided to go fish a little creek I fished as a kid that is north of L.A.

The last time I fished there was 04. Well in that short time (from 04 to 08) the amount of trash was unbelievable. There was all kinds of trash. Hell there was even work and salmon egg containers in the artificial only C&R section.

I only had two bags with me so I loaded them up and left (it did not make much of a dent). On my way out I saw six individuals pushing a frickin grocery cart with a cooler in it up the road past the gate. I am betting that the cart didn't make it back out. I would have said something but from the sounds of it; it didn't sound like they spoke English.

How was the fishing you ask? Well all I have to say is did you see a report here?

P.S. My personal favorite piece of trash I found out there was the boogie board.